Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Since I posted it in the Chat thread, might as well double here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ABgVXnrbs

Samuringa posted:

Yea, it has always been flash over substance and this time they're going even more overboard on the flashiness

I still can't get over the loving backhoe roaring in the cutscene :allears:

I'm also glad to see summons. Having only Disgaea 5 and DQ11 as the only new-ish RPGS that I've played recently I missed them. Although with Disgaea any Tera level spell is basically a summon in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The desert in Secret of Evermore that stopped me getting any further because I didn't realise you were just supposed to walk over it and thought it was one of those endlessly repeating areas with a gimmick and gave up when I couldn't find it. Saved me from playing any more of that crap.

I remember getting stuck in an attic labyrinth later as a dog, so you probably got off lightly

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tales of Woe posted:

in japan, yes. no date for the english version yet.

Thank you. Also, what the crap Google?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scarlet Grace has a ton of good QOL changes but goddamn the requirements for learning new roles is obtuse and really grindy. Like they took 1 step forward in terms of ease of sparking techs, but this is just terrible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
isn't it the latest game from akitoshi "i don't gotta explain poo poo" kawazu

sounds on-brand for him

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Just picked up DQ Builders 2. While it's more minecraft than standard JRPG, I am loving the Dragon Quest style to the whole thing. Got it on ps4, which means occasional bouts of tiny fonts and not the most precise controls, but drat this game is charming as hell.

dqb2 is so good, please post your builds (if you want)

Snooze Cruise posted:

5. cookie

4. candy cane

3. ice cream sandwich

2. float

1. peanut butter cup

I'm sorry but your number one choice is highly illegal, please choose another

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are there any modern SRPG games as good as Fire Emblem: Three Houses? I'm not too familiar with the genre outside of Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 29, 2019

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't think there's any other srpg series that's as comparably huge so it makes sense to not hear about other games so much. I think Front Mission might be closest in terms of size?

oh you changed your question. sneaky.. I don't really know about modern srpgs though

V oh yeah I forgot about SRW

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's because outside of Fire Emblem and I guess Super Robot Wars there's like one zero budget SRPG released every two years that no one plays.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sakurazuka posted:

That's because outside of Fire Emblem and I guess Super Robot Wars there's like one zero budget SRPG released every two years that no one plays.
man I miss the DS era. Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Luminous Arc, Luminous Arc 2, Luminous Arc 3--wait no that one didn't get translated

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

disgaea is the other active series that people actually play but i don't know much about it or whether it's comparable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Disgaea is mostly about working out ways to efficiently grind to make numbers go up forever.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Disgaea is fun if you don't mind the fact that it's infinite grind and reincarnation system is intentionally designed to utterly crush any other significant game mechanics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

Disgaea is mostly about working out ways to efficiently grind to make numbers go up forever.

The old games also have funny cut scenes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is Disgaea actually still active? I thought Nippon Ichi was dying

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Battletech turn-based game is pretty good, just recently came out with an expansion.

Banner Saga series, Into the Breach, Mario+Rabbids are good.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

cheetah7071 posted:

I think their death is a slow-acting on-going thing.

Either way, there's quite a catalogue of games to check out if you're someone who's never played one of their games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, Disgaea used to be notable but has seemed to lost out on its popularity.

How does the series differ from Fire Emblem?

EDIT - Actually Disgaea 5 seems to have done reasonably well, at least on the Switch.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

They put out a gacha game that immediately went into hell maintenance for six months. I think it recently came back up but obviously not ideal considering I think a Disgaea mobage was their plan to stop dying

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, Disgaea used to be notable but has seemed to lost out on its popularity.

How does the series differ from Fire Emblem?

EDIT - Actually Disgaea 5 seems to have done reasonably well, at least on the Switch.

Disgaea 4 & 5 are probably your better bets in terms of quality of life improvements and content. They're very tongue-in-cheek games that don't take themselves seriously and revel in their excess. It can be fun if you're the sort of person who enjoys breaking a game over your knee with it's own mechanics.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You can get through the main story of most disgaea games with smart play, but that's not most of the content in the game, and the postgame throws walls in your face that demand you just make your numbers bigger.

The plots are generally less serious than fire emblem: now we do war crimes.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any modern SRPG games as good as Fire Emblem: Three Houses? I'm not too familiar with the genre outside of Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles.

A bit different, but Mutant Year Zero is quite good and has a interesting stealth mechanic you have to use to take advantage by lowering the number of enemies before you start more traditional turn based strategy combat.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Some of the more interesting post-game content in Disgaea games are akin to puzzles you need to solve. But really 99% of the time post-game you're just gonna find yourself grinding 1000+ levels at a time and reincarnating for higher stat gains ad nauseam just so you can attempt the next post-game section.

The main story can usually be beat within 40 hours give or take.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
disgaea 4 had a legit good plot and also has the least time spent with Weird Children, so play that one.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Countblanc posted:

disgaea 4 had a legit good plot and also has the least time spent with Weird Children, so play that one.

They had the best cast, by far. They played off eachother well and had distinct personalities rather than walking tropes, like most Disgaea characters are.

Also, the cast were specific types of demons(vampire, werewolf, reaper, etc.) rather than just generic Demon Overlords that look like they're 12.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main campaigns of Disgaea are full-length JRPGs and haven't been grindy since disgaea 2. It's not like the postgame is the only experience

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Some of the more interesting post-game content in Disgaea games are akin to puzzles you need to solve. But really 99% of the time post-game you're just gonna find yourself grinding 1000+ levels at a time and reincarnating for higher stat gains ad nauseam just so you can attempt the next post-game section.

The main story can usually be beat within 40 hours give or take.

These games sound terrible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
get this, they're not

Except 3.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
But 3 was hilarious. Remember that one joke where school in Hell is the opposite of what it is on Earth?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh the only joke in the game? Yeah I remember.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

disgaea postgames are grindfests, but the main game is just a solid SRPG with some wacky mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Disgaea 1 doesn't really hold up mechanically, and 2 is reaaaaally pushing it, but D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2, because of course) and 3, 4, and 5 are all fun mechanically. D2 and 3 have pretty bad stories though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's that new Vanillaware robot SRPG/mystery(?) VN, 13 Sentinels?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Countblanc posted:

Disgaea 1 doesn't really hold up mechanically, and 2 is reaaaaally pushing it, but D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2, because of course) and 3, 4, and 5 are all fun mechanically. D2 and 3 have pretty bad stories though.
I played Disgaea 1 a few years ago and had a lot of fun. It might feel a bit basic if you've played later Disgaea games--I wouldn't know--but as an introduction to the series, it remains novel, engaging, and playable even today

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Caphi posted:

There's that new Vanillaware robot SRPG/mystery(?) VN, 13 Sentinels?

Oh yeah that one game they showed off years ago but still hasn't released. Im not sure if we've even seen gameplay footage?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elephant Parade posted:

I played Disgaea 1 a few years ago and had a lot of fun. It might feel a bit basic if you've played later Disgaea games--I wouldn't know--but as an introduction to the series, it remains novel, engaging, and playable even today

That's good to know, I'm definitely coming at it as someone who played it back in high school and then tried to go back 15 years later.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh yeah that one game they showed off years ago but still hasn't released. Im not sure if we've even seen gameplay footage?

I think it's out. I got the demo and played a few of the chapters (which seem to just be the whole prologue) and it's interesting enough.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah it came out in late November in Japan. It alternates between the 2D sidescrolling VN style sections and occasional combat. The combat is seems more like a simulation game rather than strictly SRPGish, it's hard to describe.
They had a weird ad where Yoko Taro recommended buying it despite only playing for 3 hours, mostly cause he wants to shill Vanillaware cause he likes them.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

punk rebel ecks posted:

These games sound terrible.

They're not. My *very badly made* point is that you're better off playing the main plot and ignoring the extra content unless you're really into that sort of thing. Some people totally dig spending hundreds of hours diving into the randomly generated Item World and such.

I wouldn't call any of them bad, as they all follow a pretty similar formula. They each star an entirely new cast and entirely new plot, with some returning as guests or unlockables here and there. Disgaea 2 and 3 are probably the low point, storywise, with each game nonetheless adding more features and content. D2(a direct sequel to the first one), 4 and 5 are typically considered to be the better ones, but even Disgaea 1 can be fun to play through still.

The combat systems are pretty tight, if a bit simplistic in the older titles, and you can completely ignore all the ridiculous Lvl 9999 shenanigans and still have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Didn't know that the game was out in Japan already. I'll probably pick it up if the consensus is good. I've liked all of Vanillaware's other titles.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They're not. My *very badly made* point is that you're better off playing the main plot and ignoring the extra content unless you're really into that sort of thing. Some people totally dig spending hundreds of hours diving into the randomly generated Item World and such.

I wouldn't call any of them bad, as they all follow a pretty similar formula. They each star an entirely new cast and entirely new plot, with some returning as guests or unlockables here and there. Disgaea 2 and 3 are probably the low point, storywise, with each game nonetheless adding more features and content. D2(a direct sequel to the first one), 4 and 5 are typically considered to be the better ones, but even Disgaea 1 can be fun to play through still.

The combat systems are pretty tight, if a bit simplistic in the older titles, and you can completely ignore all the ridiculous Lvl 9999 shenanigans and still have a good time.

I see. I may check the series out then. I'm shocked that I haven't played more SRPGs.