Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Corrode posted:

On the plus side, we just made that guy's day!

siiiiiick I was out of town so I guess I missed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Maneck posted:

Orcember.

Dismember

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Gitzmas

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Waagnukah

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Fistmas is canon btw.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Filthy Hans posted:

What does one do if they want to turn a squad of csms into chaos chosen with combibolters? Is non-GW the only cost-efficient method?

MYO

example:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Orkimber sounds like the name of the descendant of an upper middle class WASP. I couldn't google her but you know who I'm thinking of...

Anyway, is/will goonhammer always be GW exclusive? I'd write for a dad's corner.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished up the start of my Iron Hands army.

Decided to go with a mud and grass basing style for these guys. The static grass came out pretty well here.

It did not go quite as well with some of these lads, sadly. May have to scrape off the grass where the glue went all frosty and try again. I'm pretty sure my mistake was not smearing the glue out flatter. Too much glue, not enough grass.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
With xmas slowing the firehose of GW rules content, the team turns inwards and reflects on 2019.

Merry Christmas from Goonhammer!

Corrode and TheChirurgeon wish everyone a merry xmas on behalf of the goonhammer crew. 

Warhammer 40K: 2019 Year in Review & Roundtable

A quick recap of the 40k meta over the year, then a personalised entry from each of us. Let me take a second to reaffirm what I wrote in the article, as long as  the comments and feedback keep coming I'll continue to push it out to the article authors. To anyone that has already done this in 2019, my deepest thanks. 

Hammer of Math: Necromath… da

Kevin turns his gaze towards the math in Necromunda. A must read for future and current hive gangers. 

The Narrative Forge: Building Narrative Armies

We talk about competitive meta and list building a lot on goonhammer. But what about designing narrative armies? In this article I attempt to show how you can plan a fun to use narrative force. I really enjoyed writing this and hope it inspires people out there make some cool stuff.

Gunum Presents: Hear me out, Cyle! A Hog-initiation

I'll let Cyle sell this article with this helpful screenshot.

TheChirurgeon’s 2019 Year-In-Review

Robert "TheChirurgeon" Jones talks up his 2019 in gaming. It's worth a click if only for the brilliant opening paragraph which I wish I had written. 

One_Wing’s 2019 Year-in-Review

Wings talks not only about his '19, but goonhammer's as a whole. I give this article a solid A+. 

Greg’s 2019 in Review: Get a Load of This Clown.

If Dark Angels get buffed to dominate the meta in PA4, then I'm blaming Greg's beyond excellent Stop Competing article. Check out his '19 retrospective if you dare!

Necromunday: Updated Articles and Happy Holidays!

Dan and Merton have taken this week to update a bunch of their articles. Worth a click to make sure you stay on the bleeding edge of things. They will be back soonish with part 2 of their "sprawling review of every Necromunda scenario."

The Horus Heresy – Legion Overview – The Word Bearers

Lordtwisted continues his focus articles on the legions, this time he turns his attention to the Word Bearers. 

How to Paint Everything: Weathering

Charlie Anderton details out a couple of methods of weathering. A dead handy article to keep bookmarked imho. 

How To Paint Everything: Marneus Calgar

Alfredo goes *right* into the nitty gritty details on how to paint up Calgar. Also in there is SRM's excellent method of red cloaks. Worth a good read though, even if you don't intend to paint up Lord of Ultramar. 

Book Review: Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison

Corrode reviews Harrison's latest novel on the Adepta Sororitas.

The Road to LVO: A Boon Tale, Part 3 – Painting Christmas Elves

Boon continues his road to LVO. 

Content We Liked: 12/30/2019

The cool stuff that we found while surfing on the wider web this week.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 30, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JackMann posted:

Finished up the start of my Iron Hands army.

Decided to go with a mud and grass basing style for these guys. The static grass came out pretty well here.

It did not go quite as well with some of these lads, sadly. May have to scrape off the grass where the glue went all frosty and try again. I'm pretty sure my mistake was not smearing the glue out flatter. Too much glue, not enough grass.

I love him. Cloak looks a little like my guy's. Well done.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

The custom Craftworlds Attribute, Wrath of the Dead, states When resolving an attack made by a WRAITH CONSTRUCT with this attribute, reroll a wound roll of 1.

I've had it explained to me from the internet because it says "a wound", it's referring to a single dice, but I've seen 2 or 3 batreps that interpret it to be all wound rolls of a 1. I'm in the thinking its referring to all wound rolls of 1, but wanted to double check the consensus here.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Pretty sure that would be all wound rolls. Because when it's resolving "an" attack. For every attack you resolve, you can reroll.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Alokgen posted:

The custom Craftworlds Attribute, Wrath of the Dead, states When resolving an attack made by a WRAITH CONSTRUCT with this attribute, reroll a wound roll of 1.

I've had it explained to me from the internet because it says "a wound", it's referring to a single dice, but I've seen 2 or 3 batreps that interpret it to be all wound rolls of a 1. I'm in the thinking its referring to all wound rolls of 1, but wanted to double check the consensus here.

it refers to all. Attacks in 40k are resolved one at a time and just batch-rolled to speed things up. A weapon that has "Heavy 3" makes 3 attacks, not a single attack with 3 hits. So every time you resolve an attack, you re-roll a wound roll of 1.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any spare pixels?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

xtothez posted:

I saw that, I am doubtful for the moment - the "landspeeder" looks a bit too much like a mix up of the current one and an impulsor.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

Zoom and enhance.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

R0ckfish posted:

I saw that, I am doubtful for the moment - the "landspeeder" looks a bit too much like a mix up of the current one and an impulsor.

That is exactly how they would design a Primaris land speeder though

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The bikes look like they have two passengers as well. Making every model an attack bike is exactly the gimmick they'd add for Primaris bikes too.

It could be a fake, but if it is then it's very well done.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

Weird turret on the bottom left -- the... rocket pods? ...on the sides make it look like it's not a Predator (Baal or otherwise), and likewise the setting of the turret is more raised than the Predator turret setting, but it doesn't have enough rocket pods to be a Repulsor (and they don't have the raised turret setting either). The front seems to match the front of an Impulsor, with the left-of-center vision slit. So if this is a fake, it's a fake with two different fake new vehicles.

xtothez posted:

The bikes look like they have two passengers as well. Making every model an attack bike is exactly the gimmick they'd add for Primaris bikes too.

It could be a fake, but if it is then it's very well done.

poo poo, I didn't even notice the bikes.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'm open to both of these options! my friend also has a 3D printer so that's something to consider.

I'm not an experienced modeler, how does one make Sigmar guys into lasgun-toters?

These guys make for pretty good melee cultists and the kit is multi part so you can presumably get lasgun arms from elsewhere, or some other gun, or just leave them as is

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Khorne-Bloodreavers

If you want to start incorporating third party bits have a look at these

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/draft-hobby-khorne-daemonkin-cultists-convertions-part-1.html

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/08/draft-hobby-khorne-daemonkin-cultists-conversions-part-2.html

And if you want to go fully off the customization deep end you can start with full third party boxes instead of bits and work from there, you can use fantasy figures from other games or historical ranges, just make sure the scale lines up with 40k which is 28mm "heroic" (a lot of plain 28mm models out there are the correct height but have realistic proportions and will look emaciated next to chunky 40k boys)

One cool kit with tons of customization and character is the Frostgrave Cultist box, which is pretty cheap for the number of models and will give you some excess bits and they look pretty chaotic if you want to do a more heretic cultist warband instead of Imperial Guard renegades, you can also get individual sprues on eBay if you want to test them out before committing

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/frostgrave-cultists

In fact there's even a sci fi conversion kit for those cultists in particular so you don't need to fish for guardsman sprues

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8780

Anyway that's the gist of it just look through the Warlord Games web store for various historical ranges and search "28mm heroic" on Google for conversion bits and alternative models, I know Anvil Industries has a whole customizable model range that is totally modular and in the 40k style and you can do cool things so check them out

Do keep in mind that using proxies at a Games Workshop store is functionally the equivalent of searching "Tiananmen square tank man" on the Chinese internet but as long as it's obvious what something is and you've appropriately modeled weapons onto models that fit the game you're not going to get issues at most local game shops or when battling friends

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Two Beans posted:

MYO

example:

Those combis look great, duder

Chiwie posted:

The Narrative Forge: Building Narrative Armies

We talk about competitive meta and list building a lot on goonhammer. But what about designing narrative armies? In this article I attempt to show how you can plan a fun to use narrative force. I really enjoyed writing this and hope it inspires people out there make some cool stuff.

I like this article, it's helped me start to plan my homebrew chaos force and I'm looking forward to the article on creating your own color scheme

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I was kind of excited about Dark Vengeance reprints until I realized I can just buy that Chaos Lord for $15 on ebay already.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Goonhammer, please set up a Patreon so we can help support the site without ads. I would happily toss a few bucks a month that direction.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Strobe posted:

Goonhammer, please set up a Patreon so we can help support the site without ads. I would happily toss a few bucks a month that direction.

I also would appreciate it if Goonhammer did this.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still hoping that primaris bikers will be on grav bikes.

But it would be completely in GWs wheelhouse to make all their tanks hover tanks but the bikes still on wheels.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

I'm still hoping that primaris bikers will be on grav bikes.

But it would be completely in GWs wheelhouse to make all their tanks hover tanks but the bikes still on wheels.

I mean, on the plus side, it would mean not dealing with more flying stems.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Give me back my bike characters gw.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

xtothez posted:

Where'd you ding this?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ANAmal.net posted:

I also would appreciate it if Goonhammer did this.

So who do I/we need to incessantly annoy to make it happen?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Strobe posted:

So who do I/we need to incessantly annoy to make it happen?
Because goonhammer is made up of both UK and US folks, they have to figure out a way to not accidentally do tax fraud or something fun like that, before starting to accept money.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Because goonhammer is made up of both UK and US folks, they have to figure out a way to not accidentally do tax fraud or something fun like that, before starting to accept money.

Just incorporate as Goonhammer, LLC. Then everything you do will be legal*.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Groetgaffel posted:

If it's for site maintenance (and not, say, author pay) then it just needs should just need to be whoever hosts/maintains the site, not every contributor.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 30, 2019

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Doxxing was here.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ok I'll stop reading it

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JBP posted:

Ok I'll stop reading it

Same.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
...stop reading what?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Dropping monolithic beer bombs itt

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m glad I dont read in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's the verdict on Sisters of Battle if there is one? I doubt I'd ever play but I knew so little about the witch hunter factions in 3rd ed that I'm curious about how the army has or hasn't changed in the last 20 odd years.