Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Upcoming Balance Changes: Big Lantern Ghost

By the way: it appears that a change is in the works for the Big Lantern Ghost. The boss will be changed such that if Mario is already stunned, the Ghost will use a variant of the lantern attack that has no stun effect.

Apparently, Thamz was unaware that being hit with a stunning status while already stunned reset the stun's duration. He thought it had no effect other than causing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Upcoming Balance Changes: Big Lantern Ghost

By the way: it appears that a change is in the works for the Big Lantern Ghost. The boss will be changed such that if Mario is already stunned, the Ghost will use a variant of the lantern attack that has no stun effect.

Apparently, Thamz was unaware that being hit with a stunning status while already stunned reset the stun's duration. He thought it had no effect other than causing damage.

Well, that's a surprise. I thought it was unfair difficulty but it was just a mistake. I'm glad he's changing it since that was absolutely the wrong kind of difficulty, and for all we've had our issues with this hack, it's usually fairer than that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, the "learn 2 block" comment is a lot less dickish if your understanding is that a stunlock only happens if the player keeps missing every block, rather than missing just one.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

senrath posted:

Yeah, the "learn 2 block" comment is a lot less dickish if your understanding is that a stunlock only happens if the player keeps missing every block, rather than missing just one.

Very much so. I don't really agree with designing a romhack assuming you'll hit every imaginable block, but I'm glad there's some small modicum of restraint.

I assume the stunlock is going to remain in Master Quest Sr. of course.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay that makes way more sense if it was a mistake. That's a lot more in line with the rest of the hack.

senrath posted:

Pretty much. That's honestly a way more reasonable request than expecting the player to not slip up on a tricky to block attack ever and not miss a single block.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 29, 2019

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Fourthing the pleasant surprise at the change. That BLG fight felt like it was operating on bonus boss rules (where 'get hit once, eat poo poo' is mildly more reasonable), so it's very nice that it'll work in a way that's not just pure jackassery going forward.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You're still eating like 30 uncontestable damage if you flub the block though, right? The two turns of 7+4 while you're stunned, plus the (blockable) 7+4 of the turn you get stunned. Considering that it's impossible to stay at max health even if your cap is 35, it's basically a distinction without a difference.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bio347 posted:

You're still eating like 30 uncontestable damage if you flub the block though, right? The two turns of 7+4 while you're stunned, plus the (blockable) 7+4 of the turn you get stunned. Considering that it's impossible to stay at max health even if your cap is 35, it's basically a distinction without a difference.

Well, let's assume you block the first jump (5), fail the first flash (4). That applies a two turn stun. Assuming further attacks don't stun:

Your stun counter goes from 2 to 1.

The next jump and flash do 11. You've taken 20 so far.

Your stun wears off. You're able to block. Further flash attacks will stun.

The next jump does 5 when you block.

Now, you have to block the flash attack (2) before you can act, or you will be stunned again. If you block it, you'll have taken 27 damage total.

It's a big oof, but at least it's recoverable from, a bit.

I suggested decreasing the stun duration to 1 turn when the ghost is at/below 30 HP, but I don't think anyone was listening.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Oh duh, yes, the stun falls off after Mario's turn not the enemy's. I knew that! It only taking almost all of your health is still pretty unreasonable to me, but I guess we should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. :v:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

bio347 posted:

Eh, even if it was a guaranteed instant-kill, that feels less bad than being stunlocked and inescapably killed.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't know that that fix actually makes the fight any easier, but on principle I'm glad they're making it and that that wasn't intentional.

I will take back some of my nasty thoughts. Not all of them, but some at least.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think I managed this fight with out of sight every other turn until 31 hp then having Mario be maxed charged on jump. That knocked him down to 15 hp plus a bow hit to 10 hp. Then getting the block on the next flash let me kill him the next turn. You can prepare using outta sight but that's only going to be so useful as more bosses get attacks that attack through invis

I'm currently stuck on general guy and instead went back to 100% dk 64

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I can think of no more damning statement

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Everything ok at home? Safe space

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

:stonk: Oof. :stonk:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I think I managed this fight with out of sight every other turn until 31 hp then having Mario be maxed charged on jump. That knocked him down to 15 hp plus a bow hit to 10 hp. Then getting the block on the next flash let me kill him the next turn. You can prepare using outta sight but that's only going to be so useful as more bosses get attacks that attack through invis

High five fellow crazy person. Dk64 is pretty rad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Somebody call the CDC, it's spreading.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That only means that the next hack should be Donkey Kong 64: Master Kongquest.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hey guess what I did 101% it this morning. All but 5 bananas I can't find for dk. Including both beaver bothers in the castle which is the biggest bullshit in the world. And I swear to God bizhawk runs the game faster then console. Running it at 75% speed on something's does help.

And I have no idea how anyone beat the loving White rabbit legit because the second race is impossible without cheating using the glitch. And even then it's 50/50 it is possible to win. Will post proof when not in mobile.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Blaze Dragon posted:

Every banana requires you to get even more beavers in the hole. In less time. Or it's another minecart with an even higher coin count. Or it's that loving diddy room in Crystal caves you have to kill all 4 barrel guys, 2 kremlings, and two generals all in 60 seconds who are on top of separate ledges and you have to get up there with his jetpack.

Yes that one hurt me. It hurt tons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just tried to do a 100% run of an obscure game for the original XBox, and I had to give up while missing three items out of 1000s. One was an enemy in one stage that I could not find to save my life, and the other were two consumable resources in a stage that I could not go back into after leaving. However, this game isn't particularly hard, there is just a lot of poo poo to find.

By the way, is BizHawk good for N64? I've yet to found an emulator for either N64 or PS1 that I really like.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I believe this is what General Guy in Paper Mario N64 meant by "breaking the rules of war".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you don't 100% it, DK64 really isn't that bad. But it is a nightmare for people who need to master a game. I've never been able to get Lanky's last banana in Fungi Forest and it's eaten me alive for longer than I care to admit

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Somebody call Artix so he can LP it!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just make a DK64 hack that plays the OH BANANA effect for every small banana.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If you don't 100% it, DK64 really isn't that bad. But it is a nightmare for people who need to master a game. I've never been able to get Lanky's last banana in Fungi Forest and it's eaten me alive for longer than I care to admit

I loved 100%ing DKC1and DKC2, for some reason DKC3 was my breaking point and I never even finished it, so "DKC3, but even moreso" made me never touch DK64. Seeing Tie streaming it last week made me realize I'd have no interest in playing it since it seemed to make any mini game or bonus stage even less variety than DKC2's handful of bonus room variants.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bruceski posted:

Just make a DK64 hack that plays the OH BANANA effect for every small banana.

Would it pause the game for the whole cutscene every time or would it just play the sound, overlapping it every time you grab a banana?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Theres a bug where you can start the race in high speed form and save the handful of seconds changing.

For anyone who isnt brain damaged like me, it's a race against an npc so fast that the only way to win it without the glitch is to have your opponent get stuck running into an enemy long enough for you to catch up. This is completely out of your control.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, is BizHawk good for N64? I've yet to found an emulator for either N64 or PS1 that I really like.

I recommend OpenEmu if you have a Mac. It's a multi-emulator and the devs have put a lot of work into making games run really well. I'm using it to record the Let's Play and it doesn't have the pause menu bug that other emulators have.

It's also able to save state in mid battle, which is a lifesaver for so many reasons.

Note that OpenEmu is based on the Mupen64 architecture, so I recommend getting an emulator that uses that. I recommend against Project64 - apparently its compatibility is poor.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Quackles posted:

I recommend OpenEmu if you have a Mac. It's a multi-emulator and the devs have put a lot of work into making games run really well. I'm using it to record the Let's Play and it doesn't have the pause menu bug that other emulators have.

It's also able to save state in mid battle, which is a lifesaver for so many reasons.

Note that OpenEmu is based on the Mupen64 architecture, so I recommend getting an emulator that uses that. I recommend against Project64 - apparently its compatibility is poor.

I just realised that I asked this once before; sorry about that. That said, I am on Win7 x64.

I have this game in particular on Wii U VC, which I presume is as good as it gets. But I would really like something for general purposes on PC.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Bizhawk is good, PJ64 always works pretty well. Mupen sucks rear end. just use w/e the speedrunners use lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bizhawk is pretty much the top tier now for n64. It's also the only one the oot randomizer works with.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just a warning if you do get BizHawk: It's a little weird about in-game saves, I believe. I think you have to manually select to save the game's SRAM after hitting a save block (or the non-Paper Mario equivalent action)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KieranWalker posted:

Somebody call Artix so he can LP it!

:thunk:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Quackles posted:

Just a warning if you do get BizHawk: It's a little weird about in-game saves, I believe. I think you have to manually select to save the game's SRAM after hitting a save block (or the non-Paper Mario equivalent action)

I have never had this issue and honestly think someone that does has another problem (settings or windows hosed itself again)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sadly a quick google search seems to show a complete lack of romhacks for beloved classic Donkey Kong 64(tm).

This is a truly troubling development.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You gotta gently caress with the settings sometime or the SRAM won't autosave every couple minutes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bizhawk is pretty much the top tier now for n64. It's also the only one the oot randomizer works with.

Just noting that I've had no issue running OoT Randomizer through Retroarch using the ParaLLeL64 core, or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Sadly a quick google search seems to show a complete lack of romhacks for beloved classic Donkey Kong 64(tm).

This is a truly troubling development.

supposedly DK64's code is pretty hosed to begin with, I mean this is the game where they had to pack it with the RAM pack in order to make it take an acceptably long time for a memory leak to make it crash