Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Desdinova posted:

Thanks for the replies, decided to go with a Rift S, mainly due to me having a decent enough gaming PC and the seemingly big improvement on gfx.

Is it worth buying an extender cable in case I start wrapping myself up and garotting myself with cable? I'll only be using VR in a 2m x 2m room.

I think the cable is plenty long enough. I have a 4m x 6m play area and haven't tugged on the cable yet. Typically I am standing towards the center of the play area anyway. It just depends on how close your PC is to where you'll be playing. The cables should always be available so unless you have to import one, I'd try without first.

My two main tips are to enable the experimental Dash option in the Oculus software and download Oculus Tray Tool. The dash option lets you double tap the right controller's menu button to go right into video passthrough mode which is handy for if you wanna take a sip of a drink or check out how the cable is doing without taking the headset off your head.

Oculus Tray Tool is useful for easily changing supersampling settings and it also has a nice performance monitor. I am able to run most software at 1.4x resolution using OTT with a 6700k and 980 ti. It helps with aliasing and also makes the text a bit sharper to read. The performance monitor will let you know whether the game is dropping frames, which is a good indicator graphics or supersampling settings need to be lowered a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

a boring marketing firm

Nobody's under the impression that Facebook is anything other than a boring marketing firm. The point is that over the past few years "boring marketing firms" have earned significantly more sinister reputations. It's like saying something is "just a bank" in 2010.

I've got a Facebook account because I've had one for years anyway and I only use it for Oculus stuff at this point, but I'm not under any delusions about what kind of company they are.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So you'll just need a Facebook account to do the Oculus social stuff, right? If you don't use any of that crap and just play games it won't affect you at all, yeah?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Getting overly worked up over privacy, data collection, etc because of a log in is like deciding you're going to stop climate change by getting an electric car. There is no individual agency in any of these wide problems, they're bulldozing the world and you've got the self determination of an ant.

Sign up, don't sign up, make a fake account, don't, use ad blockers lock down everything you can or not, it doesn't make a difference. The problem is so much bigger than any one person and no matter how careful you are, your data is there. Its there from amazon, google, facebook, apple, your credit card company, the nice old lady at the quilting shop who put in a apple pay reader at the checkout... everything. The only reason I roll my eyes at it when it comes to facebook is just that the ship has so long ago already sailed that its just empty posturing at one particular boogeyman while the rest of the boogeyman army is right behind you picking your pocket.

Facebook is an evil company, but so is every oil company I have to buy gas from, so is every bit of chocolate I buy that was picked with slave labour, so is every electric company I need power from, so is that piece of bacon culled from immense pig farms destroying the environment with poo poo, so is the cell phone a foxcon worker tried to jump out a window to end their life rather than keep making. Do whatever you can to have whatever smiles and chuckles you're able while you're alive on this planet, because thats really the only control you have.

Anyways, in something not depressing and nihilistic, I'm wondering if anyone with a quest has tried this before? https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

With the DAS in rare supply now, it looks interesting but I can't find a review of it anywhere. I've seen some of the version 1 which apparently had a lot of issues, but they claim that stuff has been fixed with this version 2? I don't know, but the fact that it folds in makes it very interesting since usually things like the DAS make it too big to easily fit in cases and stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

So you'll just need a Facebook account to do the Oculus social stuff, right? If you don't use any of that crap and just play games it won't affect you at all, yeah?

Right as long as you only want to play single player games, and you don't want to do stuff like Echo Arena, Occus' "quake/doom multiplayer for VR" then you can just use an email. Any "steam community" type features can be safely ignored in singleplayer mode.

Most of my gaming since about 2002 has been battlefield/team fortress 2 type shooter games, so I would expect that I'll personally want to get involved in multiplayer stuff at some point.

People just doing interactive story puzzle/must type stuff should be just fine

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 30, 2019

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hadlock posted:

Right as long as you only want to play single player games, and you don't want to do stuff like Echo Arena, Occus' "quake/doom multiplayer for VR" then you can just use an email. Any "steam community" type features can be safely ignored in singleplayer mode.

Ah cool, that works for me

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I had replies then realized that nobody wants to get into a long boring “Facebook is differently bad than you think, and here’s how” exchange. And Tom Guycot was on point anyways.

Also that halo strap looks pretty cool. I did the DAS mod and instead of using the carrying case I have to use a grocery bag to move mine around so I’ve been a bit frustrated with that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So... is there anything I can do to make standing for long periods without my back hurting or do I accept my life as a retail wage slave has hosed me up and I need to accept not being able to stand in one place for longer then an hour?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

So... is there anything I can do to make standing for long periods without my back hurting or do I accept my life as a retail wage slave has hosed me up and I need to accept not being able to stand in one place for longer then an hour?

You know those pad/mats you stood on in decent retail places? That, Or EVA foam mat things.

EVA puzzle mats are cheap. Work pretty well. Also, I have "shoes" i use for my VR space, shoes really helped me.

https://amzn.to/37iJIJu

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Leal posted:

gently caress, sorry :(. It's bullshit that more retail establishments don't have stools. Here's hoping physical therapy is possible for you at some point.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Leal posted:

Move around more

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Leal posted:

This is the answer:

EbolaIvory posted:

You know those pad/mats you stood on in decent retail places? That, Or EVA foam mat things.

EVA puzzle mats are cheap. Work pretty well. Also, I have "shoes" i use for my VR space, shoes really helped me.

https://amzn.to/37iJIJu

I learned this the first time I worked a job that had me standing for 8 hours, always use the mat. It seems silly, but it makes a huge difference at the end of the day.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll look into those mats, I can spare 14 bucks. I've been looking into buying workout equipment in the garage anyway so I can put whatever I don't use in my room in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I put more time into Boneworks and I’m enjoying it now. I’ve learned to be more careful to know where my IK body is before letting go of a grip that I can fall from, and the game has gotten much better now that have gotten to the gun portion of the tutorial.

I got out of the tutorial last night and Im pretty sure I’m onboard.

I refunded H3VR tho. Just too wonky, not my taste. Maybe down the road

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I put more time into Boneworks and I’m enjoying it now. I’ve learned to be more careful to know where my IK body is before letting go of a grip that I can fall from, and the game has gotten much better now that have gotten to the gun portion of the tutorial.

I got out of the tutorial last night and Im pretty sure I’m onboard.

I refunded H3VR tho. Just too wonky, not my taste. Maybe down the road

H3VR's appeal does sorta depend upon how much of a TFR gun nerd you are.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I made a nice little island for SteamVR Home.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1211777122072715264

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1953037237

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zaphod42 posted:

H3VR's appeal does sorta depend upon how much of a TFR gun nerd you are.

Naw I don't give a poo poo about guns. I'm able to tolerate the janky controls to get to play Take and Hold and Rotweiners because they're really good games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hellsau posted:

Naw I don't give a poo poo about guns. I'm able to tolerate the janky controls to get to play Take and Hold and Rotweiners because they're really good games.

I said sorta! :) Its not required by any means, but you'll struggle a lot less to learn how to work each gun and you'll get more of a kick out of all the little details. Guns are like 90% of the content.

But as you say, you can still have fun shooting hot dogs regardless.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Is there a money pit I can keep digging in as I cling to hope there will be treasure somewhere below?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Is there a money pit I can keep digging in as I cling to hope there will be treasure somewhere below?

Well, that is an outhouse...

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well after several hours of Wurstworld in H3VR I can confirm that Index controllers do indeed let you throw poo poo better... and that watching a horseshoe land right beside the pole is frustrating as gently caress.

Also I am now exhasted, and my arms are tired :shepface:.

I broke the glass light guard on my fan playing those horseshoes. Tried to do an overhand throw. Cut my knuckles up real good. I then turned the gravity down.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Leal posted:

This is very likely treatable and if you have health insurance go see a doctor

Certain exercise can alleviate this too (I am not a doctor)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is very likely treatable and if you have health insurance go see a doctor

Certain exercise can alleviate this too (I am not a doctor)

Sadly healthcare changes happened which requires you to work 30 hours a week. No problem, I work 35 a week.

Oh except literally right after that announcement was made I was cut to 28 hours so I'm sure I'll be losing my healthcare in 36 hours. Then I get the be penalized for it because my state's governor decided to undo the one single positive thing trump did.

Maybe I should wear my back brace.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

Sadly healthcare changes happened which requires you to work 30 hours a week. No problem, I work 35 a week.

Oh except literally right after that announcement was made I was cut to 28 hours so I'm sure I'll be losing my healthcare in 36 hours. Then I get the be penalized for it because my state's governor decided to undo the one single positive thing trump did.

you should.

Then you should find a local chiropractor who isnt some big time person. I found a dude who charges me like 25 or something a visit? Also a lot of those folks if they know they arent going to be raking an insurance company will do xrays and poo poo on the cheap too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah if you go see your doctor this month the subsequent visits should be billed from the initial visit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR Megathread: That’s probably covered by your health insurance

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
VR Megathread: Breaking the bank, back, and assorted furniture.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So room setup is gone from SteamVR on Oculus? I know it's supposed to just pull it from the Oculus guardian settings but my Oculus boundaries are fine but they are wacky in SteamVR. I can't find any way to adjust them or reset them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Got my link cable. It's lighter and much more flexible than the 10' Anker cable I had (or my OG Rift cable) but was still hoping for something closer to a standard Toslink cable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

Got my link cable. It's lighter and much more flexible than the 10' Anker cable I had (or my OG Rift cable) but was still hoping for something closer to a standard Toslink cable.

It is a fibre cable in the hands of consumers, so I'd wager there's probably a little extra padding to ensure people don't get stupid with it and lose refraction or break the core underfoot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a feeling people will be discovering things in this game for a while

https://youtu.be/EK2WdoDg5qc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Link likely has some pretty beefy 5v wires in it too.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Leal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk

RandomBlue posted:

It comes with a clip to route the wire off to the side, yeah?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tom Guycot posted:

It comes with a clip to route the wire off to the side, yeah?

Yep, it's in the same cardboard ringer the cable is in. Just take it and place the cable and apply it to the side headband and you're good to go.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Unsurprisingly the clip doesn't work with the DAS. I am ruined!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a feeling people will be discovering things in this game for a while

https://youtu.be/EK2WdoDg5qc

You can do that on the small windows behind the continue screen.

The level after street, you can out of bounds those small windows in the shop room.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 31, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What headphones are people using with the Rift S? Mine comes tomorrow, I'm returning the Samsung headset as it just isn't comfortable to wear longer than 30 minutes and it's really hard to find the sweet spot consistently. Everything will look really good for a split second then it's back to blurry poo poo, must be something with their anti-SDE algorithm.

On a different note I did the Ultimate Hybrid Skyrim VR modlist using Wabbajack that someone recommended to me last week. Holy poo poo, what a cool experience that game is again.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I bought thrill of the fight and realized quickly that I am terrible at boxing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone want to add any more games to the second post? My tastes are pretty specific so I'm not great at covering the entire breadth of what is available, so I'm happy to hear some suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Gunslinger posted:

What headphones are people using with the Rift S?

A lot of people recommend the Koss PortaPro and Koss KSC75 because they're basically the headphones that were built into the CV1. Also, thanks to their popularity you can get 3d printed parts that will attach them to your Rift S.

I went for the KSC75 and just bent their ear pieces to attach them to the Rift S. Now that I've had a chance to judge them I'm pretty happy with them and im getting the mounting parts.

I am a little surprised that I haven't seen anybody replicating the index's off ear speakers for the Rift S, seems like it would be pretty easy.

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I bought thrill of the fight and realized quickly that I am terrible at boxing.

Go look up beginner's boxing videos on the proper stance and how to throw punches. Learn one basic punch, then go into the game and use the proper stance and do that one punch, and concentrate on your form over power or speed. You will be doing much better, with just that.

Now learn all the other punches one at a time and then look up videos on how to slip punches.

Also, use the practice dummy in the game and get good at lighting up all the spots on it, hitting those spots are the only thing that will take down your opponents.

Before you know it you'll be an actual boxer.

TIP fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 31, 2019