Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DemoneeHo posted:

Single Dad (42M) Bullied For Not Raising His Son (14M) to be "Manly".

I wish I could look at this and cry fake, but sadly hypocritical assholes are a dime a dozen, toxic masculinity is rampant in older generations, and people don't understand rescue dogs come with baggage so I can absolutely believe in a family not understanding an older kid from the foster system having a ton of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Professorjuggalo posted:

Also the part where the bully cowers in fear after, lmfao

A bully who show they own fear. A shameful bully.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Chomp8645 posted:

A bully who show they own fear. A shameful bully.

A bully who fear't in they own mouth, a shameful bully.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MagusofStars posted:

I like the part of the fantasy where Dad was such a smooth poo poo-talker and “friends in the legal department” (of what exactly?) that the school only gave the kid a 4-day suspension. The cops didn’t care, the other family didn’t press charges, no lawsuits, no required sessions with the guidance counselor, nothing...and all because he’s got such a “way with words“ that all normal consequences didn’t exist.
Honestly, the part where the chud dad bullies the poo poo out of the entire administration with his powers of being obstinate and white is about the most believable part of it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh my loving god.

What's depressing is I wasn't even that surprised by that. It's not an exactly rare opinion.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A bully who fear't in they own mouth, a shameful bully.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for teaching my kids a game I play to cope with my husband's loogie habit and now we all do it and it makes him mad?

quote:

Throw away account because, privacy.

Just want to state that my husband is amazing in pretty much all ways and I love him with all my heart.

However, he has seasonal allergies. And when they get bad, which they do for several months a year, he has a tendency to hock loogies. All the time. And they are so loud, like he is trying to summons the devil himself from the depths of his soul.

I've talked to him about it several times before and he tries (always unsuccessfully) to stop, but I honestly think at this point it's something he does without thinking. And because I don't get allergies, I'm sure I'm not understanding the level of phlegm he needs to clear.

So I cope by playing this game where I try to predict when he will loogie. I will say "ding" out loud and if he loogies at the same time, I get a point. 20 points in a week and I will buy myself a little prize. I tried doing it in my head but it was too easy to cheat.

My teenager noticed me saying ding one time and asked me why I did that, so I told him about the game. He loved it, because he too is grossed out by my husbands habit, so that morphed it into a competition with each other. My other kid (pre-teen) noticed and suddenly we had a pretty intense battle going on of who can predict Dad's loogies better.

Eventually, my husband noticed and kind of lost his poo poo on me that I would point out his flaws to our kids (I didn't, they already noticed because MY GOD how could you not). My kids and I still do it, and it drives my husband insane, but it has cut down on his loogies so I'm hesitant to stop.

On one hand I think, yeah, it was probably an AH move to have brought my kids in on my game, but the other part of me thinks that if it bothers him so much, he can always play a game to help him cope or, oh I don't know, find a quieter way to clear the phlegm so we have no reason to play. So, AITA here?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

FoolyCharged posted:

people don't understand rescue dogs come with baggage so I can absolutely believe in a family not understanding an older kid from the foster system having a ton of it.

Oh they understand. They just resent the damaged goods.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FoolyCharged posted:

, toxic masculinity is rampant in older generations
not JUST the older generations, sadly

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

mortons stork posted:

On successive readings the story becomes exponentially worse. Like, the affair was 10 years long, both of the lovers lied to the children, the guy just up and sold the family home and refused to even give out his new address for years because he was fully aware of how much of a piece of poo poo he was. Like it's a perfect example of cold, calculated maliciousness at every level that makes you hope the guy falls into a woodchipper at the end.

Yeah this dude just had a second family and shifted over to his backup when he lost his primary wife

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (24F) don't know how to tell my mom (58F) that her best friend (55F) will not be invited to my wedding?

My mother's best friend came into our lives when I was a baby. She was our neighbor and overtime became friends with my parents and ended up becoming my babysitter. Over the years, I started noticing behavior that took me a while to realize wasn't normal for an adult to have, especially while caring for young children (showing obvious favoritism for her own child who was of similar age, getting so angry when a child misbehaved she would start hyperventilating, bringing us with her to run her own errands, drinking while we're under her care etc.) I told my parents on a couple of occasions that I was uncomfortable in certain situations, but they never really thought anything of it.

Fast forward to my early teen years, my mom's friend had developed an unhealthy attachment to my mother. Anything she did, her friend had to either be a part of it or be kept updated constantly. We're talking things like showing up to my grandpa's (dad side) funeral without any invitation to show her "support". It was around this time that the rest of my family, including my own father (62M) started voicing that my mom's friend is taking it too far. To make things even more odd, we decided to move to a neighboring town before I was to start high school. Upon hearing the news, my mother's friend went into a complete depression. Wouldn't leave her house for days on end, and we didn't hear from her as much. That was until we went to her house for our going away party - a bunch of great people from our complex showed up and it was a wonderful send off. We we're opening some gifts when my mom gasped - she had opened her best friends. Inside her gift was a note that explained that she too had decided to move - and had just closed on a property one block away from our new house.

There have been too many other odd occurrences to list. As I've grown into an adult, being around my mom's friend has made me more and more uncomfortable. We've tried voicing it to my mother who always takes it as an attack on her, so the conversation usually goes no where. My father and I told her we've decided not to go to her friend's events anymore, and that resulted in our family not speaking for several weeks (just trying to highlight that this is a touchy subject that we've tried to voice before).

Now in the present, my boyfriend and I are starting to have conversations about getting married. We're not even engaged yet and I'm already stressing about how this situation is going to play out. I'm the only girl in my immediate family, so getting married is super important to my mom, but her friend being there is something I could genuinely see ruining the experience for myself and the rest of my friends and family. How do I broach this conversation with my mom in a way that's not going to hurt her?

Tl;Dr: my mother's best friend is extremely erratic and I don't want her invited to my wedding out of fear she will do something bad. How do I tell my mom without devastating her or starting a huge fight?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (24F) don't know how to tell my mom (58F) that her best friend (55F) will not be invited to my wedding?

My mother's best friend came into our lives when I was a baby. She was our neighbor and overtime became friends with my parents and ended up becoming my babysitter. Over the years, I started noticing behavior that took me a while to realize wasn't normal for an adult to have, especially while caring for young children (showing obvious favoritism for her own child who was of similar age, getting so angry when a child misbehaved she would start hyperventilating, bringing us with her to run her own errands, drinking while we're under her care etc.) I told my parents on a couple of occasions that I was uncomfortable in certain situations, but they never really thought anything of it.

Fast forward to my early teen years, my mom's friend had developed an unhealthy attachment to my mother. Anything she did, her friend had to either be a part of it or be kept updated constantly. We're talking things like showing up to my grandpa's (dad side) funeral without any invitation to show her "support". It was around this time that the rest of my family, including my own father (62M) started voicing that my mom's friend is taking it too far. To make things even more odd, we decided to move to a neighboring town before I was to start high school. Upon hearing the news, my mother's friend went into a complete depression. Wouldn't leave her house for days on end, and we didn't hear from her as much. That was until we went to her house for our going away party - a bunch of great people from our complex showed up and it was a wonderful send off. We we're opening some gifts when my mom gasped - she had opened her best friends. Inside her gift was a note that explained that she too had decided to move - and had just closed on a property one block away from our new house.

There have been too many other odd occurrences to list. As I've grown into an adult, being around my mom's friend has made me more and more uncomfortable. We've tried voicing it to my mother who always takes it as an attack on her, so the conversation usually goes no where. My father and I told her we've decided not to go to her friend's events anymore, and that resulted in our family not speaking for several weeks (just trying to highlight that this is a touchy subject that we've tried to voice before).

Now in the present, my boyfriend and I are starting to have conversations about getting married. We're not even engaged yet and I'm already stressing about how this situation is going to play out. I'm the only girl in my immediate family, so getting married is super important to my mom, but her friend being there is something I could genuinely see ruining the experience for myself and the rest of my friends and family. How do I broach this conversation with my mom in a way that's not going to hurt her?

Tl;Dr: my mother's best friend is extremely erratic and I don't want her invited to my wedding out of fear she will do something bad. How do I tell my mom without devastating her or starting a huge fight?

Give her a toy closet that's locked shut.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

please knock Mom! posted:

135k is hardly enough to go wild about, the guy should treat it like a nice nest egg because that’s what it is. A buffer in case poo poo happens.

gently caress off it isn't. My shithead dad left me nothing and mental anguish

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
tbh I kinda suspect that mom gay.so what

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trapick posted:

Reallllllly felt that line about the burlesque community. My wife's been getting involved in the local scene, and the number of times she's had to be like "good for you on being poly, but I'm actually married and monogamous so uhhhhhh I'm gonna peace out" has been unreal.

We don't really have burlesque where I am, but if I'm on a dating app/site and I see someone doing aerial silks in their photos, there is a 100 percent chance that when I look at their profile it will say "poly". It's amazing how there's always one subculture that pulls nothing but poly people no matter where you go.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
every poly person i know, including myself, plays D&D

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

My wife is angry with me because I rewarded my son for beating up his school bully

lmao, if that actually happened he'd be getting bullied even more because he just beat the poo poo out of a girl and now everyone thinks he's some hosed up psycho.

The second everyone sees her the next day crying with a black eye, no one is really gonna want to be seen with him for the next few months at least.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Chomp8645 posted:

tbh I kinda suspect that mom gay.so what

At least one of them is in these sorts of codependent relationships I think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in america, $135,000 is enough to make a big one-time change to your life. it is not enough to retire on or dramatically change your lifestyle through investment.

big one-time changes: getting off the streets, paying off student or medical debt, putting a down-payment on a house. but once you're done with that you still have to work, still have to pay taxes on your property, etc. if you solve your immediate problems and treat the rest as a buffer for rainy days, that's effective. but if you start living very differently (again, unless you were literally living on the streets) or something it's not going to last long at all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

gently caress off it isn't. My shithead dad left me nothing and mental anguish

OK? But if even if you have to pay down debts first $135k should still contain a nest egg in there. Unless you dislike the idea of having savings.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Mozi posted:

OK? But if even if you have to pay down debts first $135k should still contain a nest egg in there. Unless you dislike the idea of having savings.

I could easily live out of my car for the rest of the time society exists with 135k dollars cash
Not sure why I feel the need to stress this point that my dad used to literally tell me he had zero dollars saved up like it was my problem or that I owed him compensation because we lived in a nice area FOR YOUR BENEFIT SON but who gives a poo poo anyway

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I would spend the money in under six months and go insane

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jack Trades posted:

What does it take for QuarkJets to go the way of Pick? Asking for a friend.

/r/relationships thread, cumshitter only edition should be a backer reward.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BONGHITZ posted:

I would spend the money in under six months and go insane
Lightweight.

I'd spend it in six hours and die.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

135 thousand dollars would literally solve every single problem currently haunting me in this cursed life Im forced to endure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sjs00 posted:

I could easily live out of my car for the rest of the time society exists with 135k dollars cash

I'm gonna say that's an extreme edge case and the overwhelming majority of people don't want to be basically homeless Mad Max cosplayers.

E:And assuming a timeframe of 30 years, you're looking at a budget of 4.5k a year/12.35 a day, which might cover gas. Maybe.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

135 thousand dollars would literally solve every single problem currently haunting me in this cursed life Im forced to endure.

thirty thousand take it or leave it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm gonna say that's an extreme edge case and the overwhelming majority of people don't want to be basically homeless Mad Max cosplayers.

E:And assuming a timeframe of 30 years, you're looking at a budget of 4.5k a year, which might cover gas. Maybe.

To be fair I put the 'rest of time society exists' at anywhere from 5-20 years.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this post doesn't do a great job of explaining why she doesn't want the friend around

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Biplane posted:

...currently haunting...

No one is going Pick mode and saying that $135K is only good as toilet paper, just that over the span of your remaining life, and all the future expenses you’ll have (they’ll be higher in both absolute and relative terms, unless you’re already beset by medical issues), it’s not enough money to make a difference outside of (primarily) getting a second chance re: debt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

this post doesn't do a great job of explaining why she doesn't want the friend around

I think the early bits about her being weird and erratic at a formative point in their lives are damning enough. Its like a weird wine aunt only way more everpresent and not related??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you could spend it in six seconds at a ferrari dealership, and that wouldn't even be a very fancy ferrari

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

buy bitcoins

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Motherfucker posted:

I think the early bits about her being weird and erratic at a formative point in their lives are damning enough. Its like a weird wine aunt only way more everpresent and not related??

i guess, though that doesn't seem like enough to crack that can of worms with her mother though. Like, this person is going to show up, and if it's sans invitation, a scene will be made. Unless wineaunt waves a gun around or tries to grope the groomsmen, who cares if she's attempting to attach herself to her mom's hip.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i guess, though that doesn't seem like enough to crack that can of worms with her mother though. Like, this person is going to show up, and if it's sans invitation, a scene will be made. Unless wineaunt waves a gun around or tries to grope the groomsmen, who cares if she's attempting to attach herself to her mom's hip.

Probably the rest of the family that wants to spend time with their mother as a family?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I get kinda what you're saying but also I think its reasonable to be defensive over your wedding. Its stressful enough without having to compromise with this fuckin' rando whose only role in your memories is 'babysitter who made me feel uncomfortable' and like sure she could just ~let it go~ but forced compromises at a wedding are often a bad omen

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

She bought a house a block away from where they were moving to, she's obviously deeply nuts. From the people I've met before who are that attached+that thing about her hyperventilating when her kids misbehave, I'm guessing there's a history of embarrassing public meltdowns that they're not bringing up.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yeah like, it feels like there's more its just so long and so weird and so old that its not exactly easy to do a writeup.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Depending on how young you are, 135k could fund the majority of your retirement. If you put it away at 20 and make 6% a year on it, you'll have almost a couple million at retirement. Obviously inflation eats that, but you're still in good shape. Blowing it is the worst idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Like, this person is going to show up, and if it's sans invitation, a scene will be made.
As long as they warn venue staff, possibly pay extra for a wedding planner that knows how to handle specifically this situation (evidently it's a lot more common than I believed?) it should be fine.