Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ok, well, I'll just...keep...reading things....I guess? What the actual christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ijyt posted:

What's the verdict on Sisters of Battle if there is one? I doubt I'd ever play but I knew so little about the witch hunter factions in 3rd ed that I'm curious about how the army has or hasn't changed in the last 20 odd years.

The models own, that’s my input.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

richyp posted:

The models own, that’s my input.

Oh yeah I totally want to paint some of the kits, it's probably the best model release from GW since the GSC.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ijyt posted:

Oh yeah I totally want to paint some of the kits, it's probably the best model release from GW since the GSC.

If you exclude AoS definitely. Just wish they’d do more inquisition stuff too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ijyt posted:

What's the verdict on Sisters of Battle if there is one? I doubt I'd ever play but I knew so little about the witch hunter factions in 3rd ed that I'm curious about how the army has or hasn't changed in the last 20 odd years.

The consensus is that it’s probably the best designed codex of 8th.

1. There’s a variety of builds for a variety of types of army. I.e. you can build very different melee focused lists.

2. The special mechanics are fluffy, relatively quick to resolve, provide some interesting decision making, and and are at the sweet spot of feeling impactful but not overpowered.

3. While the codex hasn’t been solved yet, currently there are only a couple “must haves” for good lists.

4. And most importantly, the power level of the army is allegedly in the “good, but clearly not top tier” range. Which frankly is what all codex design should strive for.

I’m really excited for the 8.5 edition codexes if the sisters are the new standard of design quality.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

My first 4 Fire Warriors. Not as happy with them as I am with the commander and XV8 battlesuit, but they aren't horrible.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Khisanth Magus posted:

My first 4 Fire Warriors. Not as happy with them as I am with the commander and XV8 battlesuit, but they aren't horrible.

I think you might get a stronger scheme with some darker fatigues. Right now the yellow and the bright fatigues are competing with each other to draw your attention. Progressing from darker to lighter as the 'layers' of the model build up could look less chaotic.

EDIT: the blue you'ce got on there already is solid and I like the scheme overall, so this post isn't just criticizing.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Strobe posted:

I think you might get a stronger scheme with some darker fatigues. Right now the yellow and the bright fatigues are competing with each other to draw your attention. Progressing from darker to lighter as the 'layers' of the model build up could look less chaotic.

I second this, if the fatigues were a darker blue or grey it would make the blues and yellows "pop" more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Guns look a little streaky. Did you do two thin coats?!

Yellow can be hard to get clean though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Zaphod42 posted:

Guns look a little streaky. Did you do two thin coats?!

Yellow can be hard to get clean though.

I used some nuln oil on them to get the recesses to come out a bit more, and then i've done about 5 coats of yellow over it and i still can't get a frickin solid yellow. I'm just skipping that step on later ones.

I did the light fatigues to kind of mesh with the color scheme on my battlesuits, but I see what you are saying and might try a darker grey.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I used some nuln oil on them to get the recesses to come out a bit more, and then i've done about 5 coats of yellow over it and i still can't get a frickin solid yellow. I'm just skipping that step on later ones.

I did the light fatigues to kind of mesh with the color scheme on my battlesuits, but I see what you are saying and might try a darker grey.

Yeah nuln oil over yellow is probably not gonna look good. You've gotta use like Seraphim Sepia and then do highlights on top of that if you wanna create contrast.

That or apply the nuln oil with a tiny brush and don't actually fully wash it, but that's pretty hard.

The blue looks great though, those are plenty good for the table.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here are some of my dudes where I went with a mostly blue color scheme with dark grey fatigues.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah for yellow you don't want to do an all-over wash, you want to do a pin wash, or even just start with a brown base and build up to yellow.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was trying to look at Adamantium Wang's army showcase for some hobby inspiration and it's missing, could a Goonhammer person confirm the link please?

https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-adamantium_wangs-heresy-era-death-guard/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ultra Carp

ijyt posted:

I was trying to look at Adamantium Wang's army showcase for some hobby inspiration and it's missing, could a Goonhammer person confirm the link please?

https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-adamantium_wangs-heresy-era-death-guard/

look dude from what I can tell this entire saga is extremely stupid on all fronts and I don't know what you expect to happen by dragging it across threads

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

look dude from what I can tell this entire saga is extremely stupid on all fronts and I don't know what you expect to happen by dragging it across threads

Why did it get deleted?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ultra Carp

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Why did it get deleted?

I mean my guess is because AW was one of several people who decided to plaster B4TBG's name all over the forums, which the others are probably not thrilled with! (Especially considering that it looks like they also erased B4TBG's name from the contributors page)

This entire saga appears to be people wildly overreacting at each other and it feels like an incredible waste of emotion and effort all around imo

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean my guess is because AW was one of several people who decided to plaster B4TBG's name all over the forums, which the others are probably not thrilled with! (Especially considering that it looks like they also erased B4TBG's name from the contributors page)

This entire saga appears to be people wildly overreacting at each other and it feels like an incredible waste of emotion and effort all around imo

Sad to see goonhammer closing ranks around the transphobe.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Wait, is Adamantium Wang a bigot?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not sure what this has to do with a army showcase?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Why did it get deleted?

Seems like you know all about it already, which reflects poorly upon the "just asking questions" thing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's entirely possible they asked for it to be taken down, but I don't think they're going to chime in on it personally for a while since they're currently probed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok if anyone who might still have links to his army could send me a PM that'd be cool, he had some neat character conversions IIRC and I'm struggling with coming up with 6 more veterans.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ultra Carp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

No, B4TBG made a dumb as hell post in some other subforum like six months back, which he apparently apologized for, that's gotten brought up again recently over a different dumb post he made in D&D (which wasn't even bigoted, just dumb)? I think?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sad to see goonhammer closing ranks around the transphobe.

I'm not a fan of Beer, but he's not a transphobe. He's dumb and has a lot to learn and examine about how he thinks about things, but the community goonhammer sprouted from is a hotbed of leftists and LGBTQ folks. He wouldn't be tolerated if he were genuinely hateful.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Ok if anyone who might still have links to his army could send me a PM that'd be cool, he had some neat character conversions IIRC and I'm struggling with coming up with 6 more veterans.

Or if someone has any neat conversions/kitbashes/resposes they've done for their space marines post those too please!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

I'm not a fan of Beer, but he's not a transphobe. He's dumb and has a lot to learn and examine about how he thinks about things, but the community goonhammer sprouted from is a hotbed of leftists and LGBTQ folks. He wouldn't be tolerated if he were genuinely hateful.

This. It's honestly beginning to feel like people are just using the accusation of transphobia as a cover for all the crying about dumb forum posting drama tbh.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

ijyt posted:

Google cache: https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, B4TBG made a dumb as hell post in some other subforum like six months back,

It was this forum and then he probed people who rightfully called him a bigot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

No.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But really, who can afford morals in miniatures gaming?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Changing beer's byline on goonhammer seems prudent, but acting like it wasn't there yesterday and calling it doxxing seems weird.

E: sorry I'm not going to continue this further I hope it gets treated fairly

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

It was this forum and then he probed people who rightfully called him a bigot.

He apologized for that one too

JBP posted:

Changing beer's byline on goonhammer seems prudent, but acting like it wasn't there yesterday and calling it doxxing seems weird.

This is not the doxxing that happened; there were links to Beer's day job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This vendetta campaign against b4bg is like thirty times creepier than anything he has ever posted.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
admin edit: doxxing

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Also worthy of consideration is the take of the person who was supposedly victimized by Beer's "trans-phobia":

quote:

Beer said something about a candidate in the Democratic primary thread, a trans poster called him out of it (and then another mod probated that poster), then a callout thread got started in D&D where someone linked to Beer's post here. Beer's restated apology from a few hours ago got linked in there by a third mod who said they'd handle the whole thing again after the holidays when the mod staff wasn't busy with family.

Beer hasn't said anything transphobic or directly linked people here. That was posters leaping on the old post, and then the third mod linking his restated apology.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ultra Carp

:cripes:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't understand what's so loving hard about "don't doxx people".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Ultra Carp
on the one hand I feel the permas are overly harsh but on the other hand it's like watching a line of people walk into an exceptionally well-marked and well-lit pit of spikes.

like you couldn't even try to add some plausible deniability?

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Not that it excuses it, but ijyt does a good Pied Piper for that proverbial well-lit pit of spikes.