Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TV is fun sometimes but lol at passionate about consuming content. They both sound Insufferable.

Edit: then again honestly even watching the dumbest TV is probably a better use of time and brain cells than these forums. So OP is actually cooler and smarter than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh my loving god.

The EPA has been asking increasingly pointed questions about the runoff from Ma's Toxic Masculinity Factory.

Grape fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 31, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jack2142 posted:

This has to be bait right?

Any Christian that uptight would be asking advice from like r/christiandiscipleship or whatever.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

razorrozar posted:

isn't isolating someone from their friends and family a textbook indicator of abuse

Yeah, but according to the OP it is just him withdrawing and not him telling her she cannot or should not see them anymore. Maybe she is sugarcoating his actions or maybe they are terrible people. She seems to acknowledge herself that all the people he does not want to interact with are assholes so maybe he is just tired of being around them himself. Then again she could be saying that because he is feeding that rationalization to her now and he is abusive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

AITA for saying “I love you more than anything” to my daughter in front of my wife

Yikes.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

what's the inverse of an electra complex?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Any Christian that uptight would be asking advice from like r/christiandiscipleship or whatever.

She's also posted this to r/catholic and r/catholicparenting so maybe there's hope that some college professor somewhere is about to get the strangest email they've ever received.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking a friend what role I will play in her company?
Then she texted me that im only in it for money
The correct answer to this is “gently caress yes I’m only in this for the money”.

Making money is literally the entire reason for-profit businesses exist and employees show up to work.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for missing the birth of my first child so a mate could spend time with her dying grandfather?

This is a horrible situation and I need to know if my wife is justified.

My wife gave birth to our first baby 3 days ago. We've had a rough few years with 2 miscarriages and a stillbirth at 37 weeks. So my wife was terrified this whole pregnancy. I am a firefighter and was on duty when my wife went into labour. Her doctor said that it would likely be a while so I decided to stay at the base for a little longer because it is about mayhem and we're never enough people anyway.

Then one of my mates gets a call that her grandfather had a heart attack and will probably not make it. Obviously she was devastated. Things got really hectic we got called out to another fire and our captain said one of us could go but not both. I told my colleague not to worry she should go and spend time with her grandfather since it will be her last chance. So I had to go out and missed the birth of my child.

I got there 2 hours after my girl was born. I felt horrible and apologised profusely to my wife but she just yelled at me, said I let her down in the scariest moment of her life and then told me to leave. So I left and waited in the hallway. It's been 3 days and she refuses to say anything apart from the bare minimum related to the baby. They can leave tomorrow and she's informed me that she was going to stay with her sister who recently had a baby too until she "knows what to do about our relationship or what's left of it".

I understand that it must have been scary for her but my reasoning is that only one of us could leave and I will have a whole life to be with my child whereas my mate only had a few hours with her loved one left

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for missing the birth of my first child so a mate could spend time with her dying grandfather?

This is a horrible situation and I need to know if my wife is justified.

My wife gave birth to our first baby 3 days ago. We've had a rough few years with 2 miscarriages and a stillbirth at 37 weeks. So my wife was terrified this whole pregnancy. I am a firefighter and was on duty when my wife went into labour. Her doctor said that it would likely be a while so I decided to stay at the base for a little longer because it is about mayhem and we're never enough people anyway.

Then one of my mates gets a call that her grandfather had a heart attack and will probably not make it. Obviously she was devastated. Things got really hectic we got called out to another fire and our captain said one of us could go but not both. I told my colleague not to worry she should go and spend time with her grandfather since it will be her last chance. So I had to go out and missed the birth of my child.

I got there 2 hours after my girl was born. I felt horrible and apologised profusely to my wife but she just yelled at me, said I let her down in the scariest moment of her life and then told me to leave. So I left and waited in the hallway. It's been 3 days and she refuses to say anything apart from the bare minimum related to the baby. They can leave tomorrow and she's informed me that she was going to stay with her sister who recently had a baby too until she "knows what to do about our relationship or what's left of it".

I understand that it must have been scary for her but my reasoning is that only one of us could leave and I will have a whole life to be with my child whereas my mate only had a few hours with her loved one left

Yikes. Hopefully the wife recovers from the mad hormones enough to realize it was a poo poo situation all around.

That said, shouldn't this dude have had paternity leave for this set up?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

She had literally her whole life with her grandpa and you only get one chance to see the birth of your child

You hosed up big time boyo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He hosed up by not hauling rear end the second her water broke.

"Oh it could be hours" can also turn into "wow, dilated pretty far in 3 hours" or "poo poo! Prep for a C-Section NOW" pretty quickly and I'm sure she could have appreciated having someone there to keep her company.

It's all on him deciding "nah I'll stay at my job that can call me away for hours at a time with no notice "

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Sagebrush posted:

She had literally her whole life with her grandpa and you only get one chance to see the birth of your child

You only get one chance to be there for them in their last moments too. No matter how that ended someone was going to be saddled with feeling like a complete and utter heel for the rest of their life.

poo poo even the boss not being able to release both of them without risking people's lives is in the no win race.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
This could have been avoided if someone had had the simple presence of mind to start a fire in the hospital so that he’d have to be dispatched there. Just another problem for which some mild arson was the solution.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

This could have been avoided if someone had had the simple presence of mind to start a fire in the hospital so that he’d have to be dispatched there. Just another problem for which some mild arson was the solution.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

He should've left work and told his captain or boss or whatever to pull someone off the street if they needed help, his wife or baby could've died during childbirth and that's no small thing, which is what she's ultimately furious at him about

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Minecraft Holmes posted:

He should've left work and told his captain or boss or whatever to pull someone off the street if they needed help, his wife or baby could've died during childbirth and that's no small thing, which is what she's ultimately furious at him about

I mean if we're gonna "He should have..."

FilthyImp posted:

He hosed up by not hauling rear end the second her water broke.

"Oh it could be hours" can also turn into "wow, dilated pretty far in 3 hours" or "poo poo! Prep for a C-Section NOW" pretty quickly and I'm sure she could have appreciated having someone there to keep her company.

It's all on him deciding "nah I'll stay at my job that can call me away for hours at a time with no notice "

This guy has the right of it. He should have bolted off work the second she went to the hospital, once he made the call not to it opened up what happened happening.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FoolyCharged posted:

This guy has the right of it. He should have bolted off work the second she went to the hospital, once he made the call not to it opened up what happened happening.

If it was any other job I'd probably agree, but given that he's a firefighter it seems that his concern was that if he left, he'd be potentially putting someone else's life at risk by not being there. Really a lovely situation all around.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

AITA for saying “I love you more than anything” to my daughter in front of my wife

That lady is has problems.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yikes. Hopefully the wife recovers from the mad hormones enough to realize it was a poo poo situation all around.

That said, shouldn't this dude have had paternity leave for this set up?

This guy hosed up really badly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If it was any other job I'd probably agree, but given that he's a firefighter it seems that his concern was that if he left, he'd be potentially putting someone else's life at risk by not being there. Really a lovely situation all around.

the post implies that when his wife went into labor he was ready to leave, and there wasn't an active emergency, but he decided to stick around because the doctor said it might be "hours." oh no, potentially a few hours sitting on his rear end while his high-risk wife goes into labor after two miscarriages and a full-on stillbirth. cause you got this first part yourself, right honey?

if the fire station determined that they needed him to be fully staffed, they should call someone else in. if they got to a fire that was too big too handle, well, that's why there are other fire stations.

he hosed up

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Sometimes you need to put your family and partner first

The birth of your child during a high risk pregnancy is one of those times

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

MarcusSA posted:

Yes they would. 🙄
This is in the PDS for my theft insurance for my car. Maybe the US is different, and I'm sure other insurance companies may have different ideas of what constitutes theft.

Edit: Checked a second insurance company here, same thing.

What we do not cover - general exclusions (cont’d) posted:

Unattended car
loss of (including theft) or damage to your car if the car is left unattended, unlocked and with the keys left
in the car.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 31, 2019

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

the post implies that when his wife went into labor he was ready to leave, and there wasn't an active emergency, but he decided to stick around because the doctor said it might be "hours." oh no, potentially a few hours sitting on his rear end while his high-risk wife goes into labor after two miscarriages and a full-on stillbirth. cause you got this first part yourself, right honey?

if the fire station determined that they needed him to be fully staffed, they should call someone else in. if they got to a fire that was too big too handle, well, that's why there are other fire stations.

he hosed up

Yeah he didn't want to be there, at some level, and found a way to justify it to himself as it was happening

As if he couldn't have left the hospital for some kind of 5 alarm fire during the delivery if he was actually needed. Please.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I also want to point out that his logic that 'i would have a whole lifetime with my kid but she would never get to say goodbye to her Grandpa again' isn't as sound as one may think.

There is always the possibility that there will be complications during birth and you could lose not only your child but your partner, especially if it has been high risk in the past. If things had gone differently, he could have sacrificed his only moments with his child before they passed OR his last moments with his partner. His assumption that his situation was stable so he could make the sacrifice was erroneous.

His logic can just as easily be turned around as 'my co-worker got to have a whole life with her Grandpa, and I might not have much of a chance with my kid'.

dude hosed up bad

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And, you know, there wouldn't have been the poo poo situation of "Watch Baby Born / Let Coworker Watch Gramps Pass" if he had been at the loving hospital.

Because then, someone *else* would have been like "Yo yeah leave and see Grampapa, we'll call up <a reservist/backup> to cover".

Dude better be like "hey it's 8pm I'll stay up all night while the baby shits, wails, feeds and pukes so you can rest" for the next 3 months + buying her post-natal massages + cooking and cleaning because this is an epic gently caress-up.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

This is in the PDS for my theft insurance for my car. Maybe the US is different, and I'm sure other insurance companies may have different ideas of what constitutes theft.

Edit: Checked a second insurance company here, same thing.

My homeowners policy covers theft from my car. Also, like somebody said that's comprehensive and anybody driving a car worth less than around 4 or 5k shouldn't be carrying anything but liability, it's usually a waste of money considering the deductible. If the accident isn't your fault your own insurance isn't an issue. Also keep in mind, that's theft of the car and not theft of what's in the car.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my girlfriend a dumbass when she said that the dinosaurs killed the romans?

So my girlfriend and I were having a conversation about something, when it got onto the topic of Rome. I was saying how I’d love to have seen Rome in its heyday, and she said “until you get eaten by a dinosaur”.

I initially thought she was joking, and just laughed and said “what”. Then she said, completely straight faced, that the Roman Empire fell because of the dinosaurs. That dinosaurs killed the romans.

I asked if she was serious and she said “you didn’t know that?” Like it was something everyone would know. I told her that the dinosaurs died like a million years before humans even existed (I realize this isn’t the correct number, but at least I have a vague timeline).

She said that wasn’t true and I said “don’t be a dumbass, just think about it, how would there not be stories about dinosaurs rampaging through civilizations if they existed during the Roman Empire”. She just got upset and said “don’t call me a dumbass” and went home.

I mean what the hell? Who even taught her that? And how does she still believe it? She’s 23 not 12!

AITA?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for calling my girlfriend a dumbass when she said that the dinosaurs killed the romans?

So my girlfriend and I were having a conversation about something, when it got onto the topic of Rome. I was saying how I’d love to have seen Rome in its heyday, and she said “until you get eaten by a dinosaur”.

I initially thought she was joking, and just laughed and said “what”. Then she said, completely straight faced, that the Roman Empire fell because of the dinosaurs. That dinosaurs killed the romans.

I asked if she was serious and she said “you didn’t know that?” Like it was something everyone would know. I told her that the dinosaurs died like a million years before humans even existed (I realize this isn’t the correct number, but at least I have a vague timeline).

She said that wasn’t true and I said “don’t be a dumbass, just think about it, how would there not be stories about dinosaurs rampaging through civilizations if they existed during the Roman Empire”. She just got upset and said “don’t call me a dumbass” and went home.

I mean what the hell? Who even taught her that? And how does she still believe it? She’s 23 not 12!

AITA?

Once upon a time, at a party, my best buddy met a person like that. It didn't take long for him to convince her that the nazis actually won the war.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

So what're we thinking? Fundamentalist upbringing with trips to the Creationism museum?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Roman military might would have mopped the floor with dinosaurs. I saw it on THC's "Ancient Monster Battles."

It's a good show. Apparently, the SS were practically trained into becoming the perfect dinosaur fighters. Obviously there were no dinosaurs in WW2, but you can't deny that their tactics were almost perfectly designed to kill large reptiles.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

HMS Beagle posted:

So what're we thinking? Fundamentalist upbringing with trips to the Creationism museum?

It has to be something much more weird and specific than that, your standard creationist would agree that the dinosaurs definitely died out thousands of years before the romans. Clearly she thinks that human civilization has existed for millions of years, an unironic believer in the hole in development left by the finno-korean hyperwar

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Olympus posted:

It has to be something much more weird and specific than that, your standard creationist would agree that the dinosaurs definitely died out thousands of years before the romans. Clearly she thinks that human civilization has existed for millions of years, an unironic believer in the hole in development left by the finno-korean hyperwar

It’s the only explanation that fits all the facts.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Wait so what killed the dinosaurs in her history?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

quote:

AITA for going NC on MIL?

Several years ago I(39F) started a company and in an effort to keep myself from becoming power-crazy I also brought in shareholders. I have 50% of the shares and the other 50% are split between the shareholders. When I got married I gave my husband 20% of my shares because he expressed an interest in helping me shoulder some of the burden. Then when I had my twin children I decided to gift them both 5% each, amounting to 10%, to be held in trust. Until they're 18 I vote in their place. Basically I did this so it could be a family business. Its not unusual.

Recently I made a business decision that was rather risky and dangerous. If it had failed it may very well have been the death of my company. But if it paid off the rewards would be amazing. My shareholders didn't want to do it, and I understood that, but in most businesses you have to take a degree of risk in order to flourish and I was confidant about the out coming being favorable. I went ahead with the plan and it paid off and my company was doing better than ever.

My shareholders called a meeting about two months ago and requested all shareholders by physically present. So that meant my husband also had to show up. Everyone except our kids because they're only seven and I vote in their favor. So imagine my surprise when my mother-in-law comes in and sits down. I came to find out that my husband had sold her half of his shares based on her interest in the company.

And, as you'll remember, my MIL doesn't like me. And she's always been vocal about how she doesn't think I should be working. She says that because we have kids I should have retired to raise them. She also has an issue with me being in power. She thinks my husband should be in charge even though I started the company before I met him.

Anyway, the meeting turned out to be a Vote of Confidence that would either result in me being ousted or my staying on. All of shareholders voted me out, so 50%. Basically the tie-breaker would be MIL, who, with a smirk on her face, used her 10% vote to help oust me from the company I created myself. The board paid me a severance and that's that. I'm out of work.

I've managed to forgive my husband for his part in my firing (if he hadn't sold some of his shares to his mother I'd probably still have a job) but I can't forgive my MIL. I told my husband that he can do what he wants but that woman is never allowed in my home or around our children ever again. My MIL has been emailing me and leaving me sappy voicemails begging to see the kids, which I haven't allowed. My husband didn't realize his mom was going to screw me and he's incensed at her as well. He's been to see her a couple times but he's also not letting her come visit or see the kids. And the kids haven't asked to see her and haven't expressed any desire. Recently her messages started getting really nasty and rude, accusing me of trying to ruin the holidays.

AITA for keeping the kids away from her because of a business decision?

Bit of a buried lede here, it turns out husband hosed up big time actually but for some reason has already been forgiven.
Nice work idiot, selling the shares of your wife's company to the woman who has repeatedly shown spite and disrespect to her, WCGW? Man is lucky not to have been served divorce papers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

You're thinking about this all wrong

You have only one chance to see the death of your grandpa. And thus only one chance to capture his soul as it leaves his body, and placing it on your mantle as both a trophy and a warning

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Trapick posted:

Wait so what killed the dinosaurs in her history?

After the Romans died out they all starved to death obv.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

mortons stork posted:

Bit of a buried lede here, it turns out husband hosed up big time actually but for some reason has already been forgiven.
Nice work idiot, selling the shares of your wife's company to the woman who has repeatedly shown spite and disrespect to her, WCGW? Man is lucky not to have been served divorce papers.

This woman's stupid for not helping a controlling share of she wants to run it like her own business. But she should find out how much a divorce will cost her because her husband is a goddamn idiot.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

You're thinking about this all wrong

You have only one chance to see the death of your grandpa. And thus only one chance to capture his soul as it leaves his body, and placing it on your mantle as both a trophy and a warning

You can always try to make more babies, but your can't make more Grandpas.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

mortons stork posted:

the buried lede is that her decision was so reckless that the entirety of shareholders voted to kick her out of her own company, which isn't something just a shitbird MIL can convince everybody of regardless of what she did. But regardless, if I got kicked out of my own company like that and a single person was responsible it'd be sever or murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for snapping at my wife and making her leave a family party early?

Wife Lisa (38) and I (37) have been married 4 years, together for 15. Strong relationship for the most part.

This weekend we attended my family’s annual big Christmas event. All the extended members were there. 50 people or so

My brother (39) was there with his girlfriend Amy (34). Amy has 4 boys from a previous marriage and 1 daughter with my brother. Daughter Eliza just turned 2 and this was the first time she was meeting most of my extended family.

The reason is complicated. Amy’s ex husband is an addict and abuser (fact, not opinion). No one knew that Amy and my brother started seeing each other during her separation. When she got pregnant with Eliza, Amy’s ex insisted the baby was his. Due to legalities in our state, Amy’s ex was considered Eliza’s father because they weren’t divorced. Correcting this and establishing paternity for my brother was a long, painful, difficult process.

My wife Lisa has gossiped to (mostly) her mother about this in the past. I didn’t like it but I won’t police her conversations. Lisa thinks it’s a scandal and is convinced that my brother was sleeping with Amy before she and her ex separated. In my opinion, the timing is irrelevant. My brother adores Amy and her children. They’re a very happy family and we should be focusing on stability for the kids, especially Amy’s boys.

I have no idea how the conversation at the party started, I walked up in the middle of it. Lisa was at a table with several people including my mom and she was loudly “venting” about Amy and my brother. When she mentioned paternity testing, my mom quietly said “Lisa, that’s enough.” Lisa got frustrated and said something like “No, people have a right to know what really happened” and continued explaining. The cousins she was speaking with tried changing the subject, it didn’t work.

I stepped in at that point and snapped at her. Told her that was ENOUGH and she needed to get her things. I apologized to the table and took Lisa home. She has been furious with me ever since, saying that I embarrassed her and that I’m asking her to lie for Amy. She’s very angry we left the party.

I don’t need her to lie, I just think that the details she brought up aren’t anyone’s business and don’t matter in the long run. In my opinion, she embarrassed herself. Maybe it was overkill to leave altogether. But I was embarrassed as well and worried Amy’s kids might get wind of the conversation.

Ironically, the only person understanding of Lisa’s side is AMY who told my mom that she knows people will talk about it and she’s strong enough to accept it. Maybe that’s true, but I don’t think Amy, my brother or the kids should have to worry about that around family.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for expecting better from my own wife? Or is this just reality of the situation?