Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i dont like the main politician aliens in the prequels

they were boring and looked dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If they had some imagination they'd have force users challenging each other to duels across the galaxy by astral projecting and pissing on their opponent's leg.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bring back old gbs posted:

looking boring and dumb is an advantage for a politician alien. 50 million years of galactic civilization has had some weird effects on evolution

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

explain bothans then :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Newt Gunray

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TK-42-1 posted:

explain bothans then :colbert:

everyone loves dogs. tell me you wouldn't vote for this

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Luke Fingerblaster

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Need the prequel where Sheev is recovering from his injuries from RotJ and needs a speech therapist to help him overcome his stutter.

The Emperor's Speech
<boos>

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Son of Rodney posted:

adam driver being concidered hot is something I had never concidered. Like, really?

My girlfriend really likes him and so do plenty of other women. He has very unique facial features.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
On a scale, he's a really hot ugly looking guy. Kind of like how uma thurman is a really beautiful ugly woman.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Son of Rodney posted:

In the star wars universe, mom jeans are not just for moms anymore!

You know, I kind of see the resemblance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Now that the entire Sequel Trilogy is on the books to reflect on as a contiguous story, I've come around to agree with the people who defend the prequels as better by contrast. They are ugly, leaden, and ineptly told-- but taken together they tell a more narratively and thematically coherent story than the ST.

Prequels had a great story but poor execution. This new trilogy has a bad story but the execution was good. Mr. Plinkett said, back in 2009 when he was reviewing/trashing the prequel trilogy, that he would have liked to have seen JJ Abrams direct a Star Wars movie. But he clarifies today that he meant he would have liked to see him direct, not write a star wars movie. They probably should have used George Lucas's ideas for the story, someone else (Kasdan?) should have written the screenplay based on that story, and then Abrams could have directed it. George Lucas may not be a great director or script writer, but he's got a knack for coming up with good stories.
https://youtu.be/5pAsss_nTlk

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Glenn Quebec posted:

On a scale, he's a really hot ugly looking guy. Kind of like how uma thurman is a really beautiful ugly woman.

Thurman is just beautiful in an unusual way. Ever seen Baron Munchausen? Jesus Christ

Driver is kind of weird looking, but he’s also tall, thick, muscular, and his kind-of-weird-lookingness of plays into the character’s sex appeal as a tormented outsider. In that context it would be weirder if he looked like a completely conventional Hollywood hunk.

The grandpa pants are pure comedy though. I think they were going for the look of a samurai midriff wrap but it does not work.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gianthogweed posted:

You know, I kind of see the resemblance.

hahahahaha

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

skasion posted:

Thurman is just beautiful in an unusual way. Ever seen Baron Munchausen? Jesus Christ

Yeah I said she's a beautiful ugly woman, I agree

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
At the beginning of this movie they were talking about spies so I was really hoping we'd get to see what a Bothan looked like. But instead we got the weird guy with a green head.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah I said she's a beautiful ugly woman, I agree

your dumb

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Walrus posted:

The Dead Speak!

lol its so dumb. the exclamation mark. why.

tbh that's probably a fine callback to the old serials that Star Wars originally drew a lot of inspiration from

Rutibex posted:

everyone loves dogs. tell me you wouldn't vote for this

that's such a good dog. wow. i'll vote for that dog

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

tbh that's probably a fine callback to the old serials that Star Wars originally drew a lot of inspiration from

The crawl was more or less fine. Bringing back Palpy to undo the superior original trilogy for this muddled mess and then making the actual menacing broadcast a loving Fortnite tie-in that never happens in the movie, less so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Walrus posted:

The Dead Speak!

lol its so dumb. the exclamation mark. why.

The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlbear Camus posted:

The crawl was more or less fine. Bringing back Palpy to undo the superior original trilogy for this muddled mess and then making the actual menacing broadcast a loving Fortnite tie-in that never happens in the movie, less so.

oh yeah that is incredible dogshit, yeah I was talking about "The Dead Speak!" as part of the crawl

is there a youtube video of this loving tie-in

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

oh yeah that is incredible dogshit, yeah I was talking about "The Dead Speak!" as part of the crawl

Gonna disagree with you on that one. That and "WAR!" are perfectly fine for the ray gun space opera aesthetic.

One thing whats her head pointed out in the 2 hour video is usually the crawl gives us a little more world building exposition dump; who's winning, who's losing, what the factions and stakes are. Especially given the sequel trilogies allergy to any kind of world building throwaway lines that let us know what a resistance or first order is or why the republic's capital is on a system we never heard of or any of that poo poo, you really should at least give us that in the crawl.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

is there a youtube video of this loving tie-in

----

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gonna disagree with you on that one. That and "WAR!" are perfectly fine for the ray gun space opera aesthetic.

One thing whats her head pointed out in the 2 hour video is usually the crawl gives us a little more world building exposition dump; who's winning, who's losing, what the factions and stakes are. Especially given the sequel trilogies allergy to any kind of world building throwaway lines that let us know what a resistance or first order is or why the republic's capital is on a system we never heard of or any of that poo poo, you really should at least give us that in the crawl.

the more you put in the crawl is less stuff that is in the tie-in material

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

If anything it's a callback to old newspaper headlines like War! in episode 3 and it was bad in episode 3 too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

If anything it's a callback to old newspaper headlines like War! in episode 3 and it was bad in episode 3 too.

It's fine actually.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Remember in Attack of the Clones when Rune Haako was going through his steroid phase and his voice got all deep?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Gianthogweed posted:

Remember in Attack of the Clones when Rune Haako was going through his steroid phase and his voice got all deep?

Remember when they dropped all of the over the top racist accents from all the aliens after ep1?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Remember when they dropped all of the over the top racist accents from all the aliens after ep1?

Meesa Jar Jar Binks

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I went and saw Rise of Skywalka a second time and the plot did make a little bit more sense this go-round. Clever move by JJ Abrams to require a second viewing to understand what's happening.

Observations:

(1) While I still found no direct mention of the Emperor's pirate broadcast one-man radio show outside of the text crawl, it's a bit clearer that there was an intelligence effort to confirm the Emperor's continued existence, so they'd known about it one way or the other.

(2) Luke looks kind of like Sam Kinison in this one.

(3) I noticed that the big crowd of Sith-related peoples present for the Emperor's overhead spaceship destruction derby spectacular all perform the same type of chanting you hear in the background in many of Darth Maul's scenes in Episode I.

(4) They did a good job overall inserting unused footage of Carrie Fisher into the movie but there were a couple of times you could tell the focus, film grain, and/or color timing didn't quite match and she looked like a hologram or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Here's the fortnite thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0ejXC7kFs

It's only the first minute. After that it shows some of the RoS stuff put into Battlefront 2, and four seconds of a Fortnite lightsaber fight.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

skasion posted:

Driver is kind of weird looking, but he’s also tall, thick, muscular, and his kind-of-weird-lookingness of plays into the character’s sex appeal as a tormented outsider. In that context it would be weirder if he looked like a completely conventional Hollywood hunk.

Kathleen Kennedy has made a lot of mistakes but handpicking Adam Driver for the role makes up for some of them.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

(5) Easily the single weirdest thing about this entire movie is how it never bothers to establish just to what extent the Emperor has his own organizational and military forces. During my first watch I figured the DS-SD Cruisers (that's Death Star - Star Destroyer, I coined that one thanks) had to be mostly running on automation because you'd think if there were a bunch of people in them at some point you'd get to see them, but no. The few times we do see inside these they're already inhabited by First Order goons. It helped for me to remember I heard somewhere that the red storm troopers are the "Sith" troopers (this is never pointed out in-movie as far as I can tell) so I imagine all the DS-SD Cruisers are inhabited by these guys (I'd guess they're all clones).

Normally I'd chalk this kind of thing up to typical JJ Abrams mystery box bullshit but it doesn't feel like that. I'm thinking he either just took on faith that OF COURSE if there are spaceships running there are people inside (nevermind they just burst from the ground as if they'd been buried for a long time), aww does poor baby need to be shown there's an army to know one's there, etc., or something got changed during editing/re-shoots and they didn't quite have the material to fully present the exposition.

The inherent oddity aside, it helps compound an audience member's (that is, my) confusion when they also might miss hastily spoken one-line exposition about the galactic popular uprising currently underway as well as mistaking two classes of extremely similar-looking spaceships for one another: during my first watch I thought it was the DS-SD cruisers that were falling from the sky in the various other planets, and it got me wondering if they were falling because whatever had been controlling them was now destroyed (remember I was under the assumption most of them were unmanned), or if they were manned after all and this was actually a multi-stellar battle that we regrettably didn't get to witness, but then what were these DS-SD cruisers doing away from Hell planet I thought that's where they all were, etc. etc. poo poo was hosed.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

poo poo, if it weren't for the fact it'd sound too much like a zombie flick, I'd vouch for The Dead Speak to be the drat TITLE of the movie.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have no issue with the dead speak. I dont like the dead speak!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Let the dead speak, it's discrimination if you don't.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlbear Camus posted:

no, we agree, "The Dead Speak!" does fit in with that aesthetic

what i meant is that "Bringing back Palpy to undo the superior original trilogy for this muddled mess and then making the actual menacing broadcast a loving Fortnite tie-in that never happens in the movie" is incredible dogshit

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

i dont like the dead speak...it's rough, and coarse, and it gets everywhere

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

(6) One "I'm not sure what happened exactly" moment that's actually intentional and effective this time is the ambiguity behind the Han Solo appearance. The movie does everything it can to indicate Leia is intentionally responsible for this vision Kylo perceives (going so far to play the Han/Leia theme (the MVP of Star Wars themes) as she sets her plan in motion) but it's totally up in the air what she does or what this "memory" we're seeing even is exactly: a projection from Leia (thought she'd already apparently died at this point)? Simply Kylo going mad? One amusing thought I had was maybe it was ghost Leia in disguise, as weird and convoluted a plan as that'd be.

The first time around I didn't know what to think because the movie always goes by so fast that I was never sure if I was supposed to be confused or if I just missed something. Second watch, though, I found it genuinely intriguing and I like that in a series where the Force was threatening to become just an assortment of superpowers, this was something that made it seem mysterious, spiritual, and otherworldly again.

(7) Related to the above, this time it hit me that Leia's body doesn't disappear until Kylo's own dead body does at the climax. Insert cynical musings about how it was a reshoot insert shot because they forgot that's supposed to happen, but I think it adds some interesting implications (and does that mean she wasn't dead-dead?).

(8) Somehow they got Harrison Ford's hair to look more Han Solo-ish than they did in all of TFA, so props to Harrison Ford's hair dresser.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm a wanted man. I've laid pipe in twelve systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So apparently most of the answers are in the Star Wars visual dictionary which, in addition to calling three-time terrorist Chewbacca "apolitical", also explains who the hooded people hanging out in the Palpatomb are.

They're the rea Sith or whatever. They descendants of the old Sith Empire that formed a cult that was working behind the scenes throughout all of history and somehow became loyal to Palpatine personally. So canonically they've been building that fleet since before the Phantom Menace which is really dumb imo