Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Just tell your dad a Tide Pod is just some endangered birds liver. Problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

Restaurant attempting to sue me for using basic recipes

Find an even older cafe, have them "license" their sandwich concepts to you for a nominal fee, then turn around and tell the restaurant chud that you will have them countersue him for violating their preexisting sandwich designs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Straight White Shark posted:

Find an even older cafe, have them "license" their sandwich concepts to you for a nominal fee, then turn around and tell the restaurant chud that you will have them countersue him for violating their preexisting sandwich designs.

we're entering powerful sandwich law territory here

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
"Nothing satisfies! I've tried it all... Nothing cures this interminable hunger."

you havn't tried everything meatdad, you havn't...

Meatdad gazes at his own quivering hand... coursing with the flesh he had consumed... all of it, in one.

"...I can't..."

you MUST

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Give him a copy of "Survivor Type" by Stephen King.

Maybe he'll die of a heroin overdose.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
To quote Stephen King, "lady fingers they taste just like lady fingers"

edit: dammit

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DemoneeHo posted:

The owner went on the community Facebook page and basically said that since he was the only restaurant of his type in town (and honestly one of the few non-fast food options available) that he wasn’t worried about losing customers and called people who were upset snowflakes, etc.

Mega lol at thinking you're the only person in a town who can make a goddamn sandwich

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Uncle Enzo posted:

Mega lol at thinking you're the only person in a town who can make a goddamn sandwich

...which might not be wrong, if that story plays in the UK

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Girlfriend [f34] wants me [m31] to be the gay friend so she and her girlfriends can get invited to NYE party.
So just for some reference, we’ve been together 2 years. It’s been super up and down at times and it culminated with her breaking things off and going into NC mode. I deserved it, I had let my insecurities take over and we both treated each other badly. I went to a therapeut which helped me a lot into getting comfortable with my own feelings and handling myself.

We met up a couple of days ago, kinda out of the blue, and in the end she asked me to join her on a trip for NYE. We’ve been here a couple of days and it’s been really great. We’ve had some small issues but this time around, instead of letting insecurities blow it out of proportion, I’ve handled them very well.

Now to the point. We went out for drinks tonight with her female friends, who we are also going out to dinner with on NYE. The only plan that has been made is for dinner. They start talking about finding a home party for after dinner. I make the suggestion that we could just go out to a night club. But I’m getting the feeling that her friends doesn’t have the budget for it.

My girlfriend and her friend goes outside to smoke while I stay with the other friend just having a normal conversation.

They get back in, and apperantly they’ve been talking to some guys also smoking, and it turns out they are having a NYE party that they got invited to. My girlfriend tells me that I’ll have to go as the gay friend, because ”that’s how it works, they’re not going to invite a boyfriend”.

Me, feeling super degraded, tell her and her friends how lovely that feels, with as much composure I can, not trying to make a scene, and ask them how it would feel if they dated a guy and they had to play the role of their side-bitch so he and his friend could go to a party. They didn’t really answer.

Fast forward, me and my girlfriend are on our wat back home, she can tell that I’m upset and tells me to not hold things in, while I know that she’s going to get pissed if I tell her I’m upset about the fact that she’d rather crush my selfworth than give me the credit of being the guy she dates just so she and her friends can go to some random guys party on NYE. So I tell her I love her, but I’m not going to let myself get trampled on like that, and that if she wants to go so badly, she can, but I’m not going as her gay friend. She gets pissed and has been throwing a tantrum over it, I’ve just continued to keep my chill.

So my question is, am I overreacting here? Should I just swallow it and go as the gay friend? Or is she degrading me?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Winter Stormer posted:

just a little palate cleanser:

AITA turning down heat for cuddles

When it’s winter time and I’m sad and lonely sometimes I turn down the heat so it’s a little chilly and I sit on the couch with a big fluffy blanket and after a little bit my cats will come cuddle with me. they usually both won’t cuddle that often unless I do this I just want to feel loved

Lmao, the sub closed it for, get this: "This post violates Rule 11: No breakups/hookups"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Power Khan posted:

Girlfriend [f34] wants me [m31] to be the gay friend so she and her girlfriends can get invited to NYE party.

both of these people suck

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Power Khan posted:

What, you never lied to crash a party before? "Yeah, I go to this college" "Sure, I live on this block" "I'm a friend of the groom's" "No, it's actually *my* birthday" "Hi it's me, the gay friend"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
The thing is you have until the people at the party figure out that you actually weren't invited to convince them that you're worth partying with, so dorks like reddit guy probably aren't going to be able to pull it off

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

The thing is you have until the people at the party figure out that you actually weren't invited to convince them that you're worth partying with, so dorks like reddit guy probably aren't going to be able to pull it off

If the party is of any decent size nobody will care anyways, because nobody will know everyone else there.

If it's just a few guys inviting a few girls over to try and get with them, things change. If they have their own gay friend they try to introduce to the guy, then things will undoubtedly go very wrong.

If "they won't invite a boyfriend", it's probably the latter

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The_Franz posted:

If they have their own gay friend they try to introduce to the guy, then things will undoubtedly go very wrong.

Okay I've got an idea for a sitcom episode

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

DemoneeHo posted:

I love to concede actual access and amount & substantiality in infringement disputes. Furthermore, let me tell you that my motivation is that he needed competition.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Rosalind posted:

Has anyone posted meatdad yet because lol

My (19F) Dad (40s M) has an obsession with buying exotic or illegal animal meat and is why my family fell apart.

quote:

A forest ranger is making rounds in a remote part of the wooded reserve
when he comes across an unkempt man, sitting at a make-shift campfire,
and, to the ranger's horror, eating a fish and a bald eagle.

The man is consequently put in jail for the crime.

He was soon brought to trial for his crime...

The Judge asked the man "Do you know that eating a bald eagle is a
federal offence?"

"Yes I do." replied the man, "but if you let me argue my case, I'll
explain what happened."

"You may proceed."

"I got lost in the woods, and hadn't had anything real to eat for two
weeks," the man explained. "I was so hungry, I was eating plants to
stay alive. Next thing I see is a Bald Eagle swooping down at the
lake grabbing some fish.
I thought 'if I startled the Eagle I could maybe steal the fish.'
Low and behold, the eagle lighted upon a nearby tree stump to eat the
fish. I threw a stone toward the eagle hoping he would drop the fish and
fly away. Unfortunately, in my weakened condition, my aim was off, and
the rock hit the eagle squarely on his poor little head, and killed it.
I thought long and hard about what had happened, but figured that since
I killed it I might as well eat it since it would be more disgraceful to
let it rot on the ground."

The judge says he will take a recess to analyse the defendant's testimony.

15 minutes goes by and the judge returns: "Due to the extreme circumstance
you were under and because you didn't intend to kill the eagle, the court
will dismiss the charges."

The Judge then leans over the bench and whispers: "If you don't mind my
asking, what does a bald eagle taste like?"

"Well your honour, it is hard to explain. The best I can describe it's a
bit more tender than a California Condor but lacks the tang of a Spotted
Owl."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Franz posted:

If it's just a few guys inviting a few girls over to try and get with them, things change. If they have their own gay friend they try to introduce to the guy, then things will undoubtedly go very wrong.

If "they won't invite a boyfriend", it's probably the latter

Yeah that was the vibe I got. A 34 year-old can't possibly be that inexperienced and stupid to not know what's up. Even then there's nothing wrong with asking her boyfriend to pretend to be gay to help act as a wedge if he's that kind-of guy, but as we established your average reddit dork is not that guy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pinecone Sample posted:

I love to concede actual access and amount & substantiality in infringement disputes. Furthermore, let me tell you that my motivation is that he needed competition.

I'm the infringement dispute over a grilled fuckin' cheese lmao

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

As a gay, I would be put off as hell if I found out some girl went and told her boyfriend to play pretend gay to go to a party where straight boyfriends were not wanted. That's why I think she is an rear end in a top hat too.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm Nic Cage, dodging boulders and poo poo to steal the secret of cheese on bread.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Mr. Lobe posted:

As a gay, I would be put off as hell if I found out some girl went and told her boyfriend to play pretend gay to go to a party where straight boyfriends were not wanted. That's why I think she is an rear end in a top hat too.

She's an rear end in a top hat because she wants to go to a party with guys trying to hook up and she wants her supposed boyfriend to act gay in case she decides to get with one of them.

I say supposed boyfriend because he says they broke up and went no contact and just so happened to run into each other a few days ago and decided to hang out one night (the night the proposal to go to the party came up) so part of me thinks they really aren't dating or the she has a very different definition of their relationship than he does.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I really hope one of the people in that story believes that "boyfriendless party" excuse and I don't particularly care whomst.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for giving my kid a "heavy" name?

My wife and I had a baby a few weeks ago, and we sent out a birth announcement to friends and family with our son's name and stats. With permission from my wife, I'll share his first name: Llewellyn. My wife fell in love with the name and intends to call him Lew or Wells. I wasn't fond of it at first, but it grew on me.

I had a close friend send me a screenshot of another friend's text saying my wife and I were setting our kid up for failure with a name like that. Another family member also asked if we were planning on nicknames, because that's an unfair name to give a child. Another friend pretended not to be able to pronounce it and just referred to him as Baby. I'm honestly at a loss for words. No one's said anything about how my wife or son are doing, just rude comments on his name. We were planning on having people over to meet him next week, but I feel really betrayed by the reactions my friends have had. AITA here for naming our son what we wanted?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

But how is it suppose to be pronounced? Lou-Ellen? As in the Simpsons character and Ellen DeGeneres?

If you had to decide on a nickname before they were even born, you gave them a bad name. Just give them the nickname.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Cyks posted:

But how is it suppose to be pronounced? Lou-Ellen? As in the Simpsons character and Ellen DeGeneres?

From nameberry website

quote:

The name Llewellyn is a boy's name of Welsh origin meaning "leader's image".

Llewellyn/Llywelyn is a common patriotic first name in Wales, with its distinctive Welsh double LL's; in the U.S. Llewellyn would make a daring choice, though with the chance that some might find the ellen sound slightly feminine.

Two princes who played a great role in the medieval Welsh quest for independence were Llewelyn Fawr (Llewelyn the Great) and Llywelyn yr Olaf (Llywelyn the Last).

Llewelyn Moss is a major character in Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men, played on screen by Josh Brolin.

Llewellyn, which can be spelled in a number of ways, has some appealing, if quirky, short forms as well--Llew, Lleu and Llelo.

I don't think it's the worst name I've seen in this thread.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cyks posted:

Is it Irish/Gaeilge?

E: Looks like the poster above me clarified it's of Welsh origin.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It reads elvish in a good way.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's not such a bad name.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Cyks posted:

If you had to decide on a nickname before they were even born, you gave them a bad name. Just give them the nickname.

Yes. Lou-ellin. See, it's not that hard. I've known folks by this name in the US.

And disagree about picking nicknames beforehand. Thinking through potential nicknames and making sure your kid has something to go by if they don't prefer their full legal name is just being considerate. It's no different than naming a kid Katherine so if they don't like that they can go by Kathy or Katie or Kate or whatever. In this case, if the kids decides he wants to go by something more common, he can introduce himself as Lou, which is perfectly normal. I go by a nickname rather than my legal name and I am glad I have a name with lots of options.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There was literally a popular film less than a decade ago with the name in the title, and googling pronunciations is a thing we can do in 2k20

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

teen witch posted:

There was literally a popular film less than a decade ago with the name in the title, and googling pronunciations is a thing we can do in 2k20

People will have a hard time spelling it, but that is not a big problem. I have to spell out my last name every time I say it to someone who needs to write it down. It's just an automatic thing. Uncle Enzo. E-N-Z-O. Doesn't bother me at all.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

And disagree about picking nicknames beforehand. Thinking through potential nicknames and making sure your kid has something to go by if they don't prefer their full legal name is just being considerate. It's no different than naming a kid Katherine so if they don't like that they can go by Kathy or Katie or Kate or whatever. In this case, if the kids decides he wants to go by something more common, he can introduce himself as Lou, which is perfectly normal. I go by a nickname rather than my legal name and I am glad I have a name with lots of options.

A kid deciding to go by a different name or variation of their given name is different than starting them off with the variation right away though. I wouldn't consider that considerate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uncle Enzo posted:

People will have a hard time spelling it, but that is not a big problem. I have to spell out my last name every time I say it to someone who needs to write it down. It's just an automatic thing. Uncle Enzo. E-N-Z-O. Doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah, I spell out my last name every time. It’s not the expected pronunciation (it’s a place in Scotland and my dad’s side was old money 19th century immigrants) so I always have to clarify.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My wife picked "Baxter" as our son's name, which I feel is a little dorky. I hope he doesn't get picked on at school for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My main name advice is "don't pick something to be cute" after growing up knowing a kid named Z, but Llewellyn seems fine. It's an actual name.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

pentyne posted:

This is like one of those classic "Just ignore them unless you get served, then consult a lawyer"

I'm sure some lawyer would take money to file that grilled cheese and turkey club are IP of one single person but charge a fortune and not promise anything in writing.

It's unethical to takea case you know is that patently frivolous, and would likely cost even the most ambulance-chasery lawyer their license.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Cyks posted:

A kid deciding to go by a different name or variation of their given name is different than starting them off with the variation right away though. I wouldn't consider that considerate.

I know a kid named Jonathan whose parents called him Johnny right from the start, as they're planned before he was born. This is a problem to you?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I know a kid named Jonathan whose parents called him Johnny right from the start, as they're planned before he was born. This is a problem to you?

Textbook abuse. I bet they're estranged now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Same with first and last - I’m the only person in the world with my name, and I’ve gotten it all sorts of butchered. Seven letters of hell.