Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

so uh

links to https://www.somethingawful.com/awful-links/awful-link-1529/ which is an article that is definitely kind of hosed up here in 2019 but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I let Lowtax know, and I think Jeffrey can do stuff about it now too..

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I kinda doubt that lowtax would care...? There's been complete silence from all the other admins on all this stuff but Lowtax seems pretty solidly in favor of that kind of stuff by this point.

e: This is also based on the fact that I'm pretty sure he refused to remove it last time there was a kiwifarms ad that linked directly to the site.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 1, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I kinda doubt that lowtax would care...? There's been complete silence from all the other admins on all this stuff but Lowtax seems pretty solidly in favor of that kind of stuff by this point.

ok

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Kill the kiwifarms ad ASAP please

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anticheese posted:

Kill the kiwifarms ad ASAP please

Looks like it's fixed already, the article has changed.

Good job, Lowtax!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Please never allow KF ads again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ritznit posted:

Please never allow KF ads again.

Right now the the system automatically accepts anything when you pay, so it would have to be changed. There is no accepting happening. Lowtax loses money too because they do charge backs on the card, so he pays a fee to the CC #.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The purchasing system sounds like it needs a complete rewrite to make it so that uploaded ads and avatars needs to be approved by a mod/admin BEFORE the credit card gets charged. Then you wouldn't have to deal with chargebacks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's definitely on the wish list.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

The purchasing system sounds like it needs a complete rewrite to make it so that uploaded ads and avatars needs to be approved by a mod/admin BEFORE the credit card gets charged. Then you wouldn't have to deal with chargebacks.

I don't think you'd need to include avatars in this pre-approval system. Just make a new rule that say we will ban you for avatars that violate our standards and repeated violations will result in a perma.

Ads are probably less high volume and can be handled on a pre approval basis.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't think you'd need to include avatars in this pre-approval system. Just make a new rule that say we will ban you for avatars that violate our standards and repeated violations will result in a perma.

Ads are probably less high volume and can be handled on a pre approval basis.

I'm pretty sure that there is no way to tell who bought an avatar, so there is no way to enforce what you suggest. The only thing the mods can do is delete and replace offensive avatars if they go through.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You should probably have to provide username/password credentials to purchase an av, which are then logged.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

You should probably have to provide username/password credentials to purchase an av, which are then logged.

But then how would you red text someone for disagreeing with you about videogames?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

But then how would you red text someone for disagreeing with you about videogames?

Serious post: The log would be private to admins. Unless you were calling someone a forbidden word, no one would check it.

Joke post: We must let go of our heritage. "ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT" will be the anthem of a dead age.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think Lowtax actually has the ability and is going to ban some people who bought transphobic avs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

Serious post: The log would be private to admins. Unless you were calling someone a forbidden word, no one would check it.

Joke post: We must let go of our heritage. "ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT" will be the anthem of a dead age.

I thought you meant that you were proving you owned the account you were buying for, the serious post makes much more sense

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

I thought you meant that you were proving you owned the account you were buying for, the serious post makes much more sense

You already have to give credentials to buy yourself an av; avs for yourself are $5 less than avs for others.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm pretty sure that there is no way to tell who bought an avatar, so there is no way to enforce what you suggest. The only thing the mods can do is delete and replace offensive avatars if they go through.

I totally forgot about the whole buying avs for others thing. Durr.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Charles posted:

I think Lowtax actually has the ability and is going to ban some people who bought transphobic avs.

Sort of, but if they used a VPN and a pre-paid card that wasn't used to sign up for an account, then there's really no way of ever knowing who.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sort of, but if they used a VPN and a pre-paid card that wasn't used to sign up for an account, then there's really no way of ever knowing who.

That’s assuming TERFs know how to do anything better than the absolute dumbest idea when it comes to being a shitbird

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

e: This is also based on the fact that I'm pretty sure he refused to remove it last time there was a kiwifarms ad that linked directly to the site.

Just quoting

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Burt Sexual posted:

Just quoting

Lowtax already deleted the ad and the article.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Regalingualius posted:

That’s assuming TERFs know how to do anything better than the absolute dumbest idea when it comes to being a shitbird

many of them are goons, some of them with very old regdates. the idea that somehow they are magically bad with technology or complete morons in all ways just because they are TERFs or racists or whatever is silly.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Whatever it is, the site doesn't exist.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

super sweet best pal posted:

Whatever it is, the site doesn't exist.

Site works for me.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There's currently a top-of-page ad (I assume it's an ad?) that isn't loading (it's blank between the dogs) and completely freezes the site on Chrome for Win 10, and has been there for about a week. I can still access the site from Firefox and my Android phone. Can't even open the Inspect tool or look at the page code, it's that thoroughly frozen.

edit: Sorry, looks like this is all over the tech issues thread.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Just use Firefox; it's not spying on you (at least not for profit).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Infinite Karma posted:

There's currently a top-of-page ad (I assume it's an ad?) that isn't loading (it's blank between the dogs) and completely freezes the site on Chrome for Win 10, and has been there for about a week. I can still access the site from Firefox and my Android phone. Can't even open the Inspect tool or look at the page code, it's that thoroughly frozen.

edit: Sorry, looks like this is all over the tech issues thread.

Yeah I actually talked to lowtax about it and he needs more details before he can do anything. We're talking about switching ad networks so maybe the problem will solve itself, but anything anyone can give me would be good!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I actually talked to lowtax about it and he needs more details before he can do anything. We're talking about switching ad networks so maybe the problem will solve itself, but anything anyone can give me would be good!
Here's a console error message from Firefox, I imagine it's Firefox blocked loading the mixed active content from that particular script.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

Site works for me.

Yeah, it seems to have fixed itself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is using the word “gently caress” allowed in a banner ad or is that verboten?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is using the word “gently caress” allowed in a banner ad or is that verboten?

I wouldn't enjoy seeing it in an ad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wouldn't enjoy seeing it in an ad

:(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's already in the ads

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Use "gently caress" instead.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

SupSuper posted:

Use "gently caress" instead.

the rapiest of word filters

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just purchased an ad (GOONPAC! Go donate money and volunteer before the Iowa Caucus and help us usher in a thousand years of gay space communism so nobody has to bankrupt themselves to get medical care!) but it gets to the end of the gif animation and then doesn't cycle back to the beginning. It goes through the first four frames just fine and then hangs on the last one without going back to 1.

As far as I can tell, I ticked all of the right settings in Photoshop when I made it, and if I open the gif as a file on my desktop it cycles through all of the frames indefinitely as intended. But when I upload it to Imgur it reaches the end and sits there, just as it's doing right now on the Forums.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I just purchased an ad (GOONPAC! Go donate money and volunteer before the Iowa Caucus and help us usher in a thousand years of gay space communism so nobody has to bankrupt themselves to get medical care!) but it gets to the end of the gif animation and then doesn't cycle back to the beginning. It goes through the first four frames just fine and then hangs on the last one without going back to 1.

As far as I can tell, I ticked all of the right settings in Photoshop when I made it, and if I open the gif as a file on my desktop it cycles through all of the frames indefinitely as intended. But when I upload it to Imgur it reaches the end and sits there, just as it's doing right now on the Forums.
Doesn't seem to be set to loop correctly:

Here's a fixed version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Doesn't seem to be set to loop correctly:

Here's a fixed version:

Aw yeah! Thanks so much dude! It's weird because I definitely set it to loop "forever" in Photoshop and my copies here work fine. Maybe it's a MacOS/PC thing?

Can a mod/admin replace the dud one or do I need to do a new ad buy? Should I email about it? Having the current one stick on "goonpac" isn't the worst possible outcome but it'd be nice if it cycled through the little rhyme.