Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Hi, Lowtax,

On the one hand you have rapidly growing communities with ridiculously high engagement that are mutually supportive and actively effecting social change (and spending a bunch of money on patreon, avatars, accounts, buying 13 vanity cspam avatar gangtags or whatever) and on the other hand you have a has-been forum that, last time it was open, was full of slurs (which historically are the most effective thing on this loving planet for driving away paying customers, which is why every business that isn't Paul's Racist Cakeshop will eightysix you for hatespeech) which averages 25 people viewing it. One is an actually growing part of your website and the other is literally just a few forgotten about browser tabs that are still viewing fyad

Over the years, as ~problematic~ as SA's culture has been, it's always been on the cultural vanguard and frankly pioneered some more aggressive moderation than you'd find almost anywhere else and while it wasn't perfect, SA phased out homophobic and racial slurs almost half a decade before that became a mainstream position in internet communities. Now we're at the next era of that where it's clear that no one really wants to keep a bunch of weird transphobic losers around, but they also refuse to go voluntarily. While SA is ahead of the curve generally at affording trans members of the community some basic protections and respect (which is pretty sad given all the poo poo still regularly heaped upon them here), all the pushback is just a natural side effect of trying to move any community forward. Some percentage of people are change averse assholes and all you can do is prune them off and move on with what will bear fruit. Also of note: SA is a very queer space, far more so than the handful of people who put their identities out there would suggest. It's why the QCS shitshow threads ended up with the same couple dozen people posting bigoted poo poo and then 500 unique people tag teaming in to dog pile them.

At the end of the day, most of us who have been here a long time and care about this site want it to be of a standard where we can mention it to someone irl or, god forbid, link someone one of the funny or informative threads this site has produced and not have to worry about them stumbling onto the SA equivalent of some broom closet full of incel weirdos.

Most of all we just want people to feel safe here regardless of how they identify because that's just the absolute bare minimum that we owe everyone. If enforcing this means banning people who told a funny joke in 2006 then that's a sacrifice that us people of SA seem wholeheartedly willing to make.

Lastly, despite your run ins with some trans people doing the bad cop role of being tireless advocates for trans rights and representation (which I guarantee you they find every bit as exhausting and challenging as you do), trans people are a really loving easy group to please. You throw them a few breadcrumbs of basic decency and minimally looking out for them and lending your ear when a bunch of them tell you someone is obviously being transphobic because they might spot things others do not and they'll appreciate you genuinely. Or given how busy you are lately, make sure there are people on staff who are specifically willing to hear their concerns if you can't personally be available. Just do the right thing, prune the diseased wood. SA isn't actually doomed to be some dying internet forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
the same sjw :qq: bullshit from ten years ago lol

free snoo free crazy_cloud

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I keep coming back to is how the mods have heavily implied but not outright said (as far as I've seen) that FYAD being brought back was a unilateral directive from Lowtax, but nothing Lowtax has said about how he was just thrust into this situation and had to DO SOMETHING lines up with that. I'm not saying anyone is lying and I could totally be off base with how this poo poo actually went down, but it's really troubling.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

apropos to nothing posted:

this is literally a thread where people are complaining about bans and punishments because of how it is loving up their support system. now there is a poster who posts in it who is worried about a lot of the same issues and theyre punished.

I think it was the aloof nature of them going "lol @ having a support structure, online" that bothered me the most in that post, and what bothered off the mods to sixer. The general FYAD attitude of going hard making fun of people who go hard about much more sincere things.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

there is none and there still isn't, this person is doing bad faith whataboutism even now lmao. they can't stop themselves because they're diseased in the mind

I know

as you say, its not just me and im not them so youd have to ask them. from what ive seen some other people who post in fyad have communicated their thoughts and they have been punished for it because they were perceived to be invading another subforum.

if only there was a way that this wouldn't come of as disingenuous and bad faith.

fyad is supposed to have been able to self police. They didn't. Maybe actually self-police and this might come off as actually being earnest.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

i do not solely post in fyad.

Please continue to poo poo up C-SPAM with disingenuous content in the defense of behavior like this

, it's really a good look for you and your friends who definitely have the best of intentions towards a minority community who already felt Before This that they were being targeted

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

when did you tell fyad that what they were doing wasn't cool

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pesmerga posted:

This is a damned good post.

Herstory Begins Now, you knocked this out of the park.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

or is it a case of "oh, nobody meant the slurs when i posted in fyad, but when they started to mean it i stopped posting in there but i still identify as a fyad poster because it's the place for jokes as long as people don't mean them"

Dec 26, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The thing I keep coming back to is how the mods have heavily implied but not outright said (as far as I've seen) that FYAD being brought back was a unilateral directive from Lowtax, but nothing Lowtax has said about how he was just thrust into this situation and had to DO SOMETHING lines up with that. I'm not saying anyone is lying and I could totally be off base with how this poo poo actually went down, but it's really troubling.

yeah

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
i have communicated via pms with fyad posters that i dont like the use of slurs. i have also said so in posts in the past but i do not have links handy to them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also fyi right after fyad reopened, after the perms for transphobia and all that, after stern warnings to be on their best behavior, one of the newly selected mods was posting "TERF revenge" and harassing another user for their avatar

I want FYAD to be good. I want it to work. The other yadlites show it can work. But FYAD still sucks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hi I talked to smarxist about this and the idea is just to have someplace where cspam people can get in touch with him and then filter out into other communities ie the succ zone discord, we talked about srsoc being toxic last night

yeah i saw but not til after making that post, fair enough

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Please continue to poo poo up C-SPAM with disingenuous content in the defense of behavior like this

, it's really a good look for you and your friends who definitely have the best of intentions towards a minority community who already felt Before This that they were being targeted

Your conflating kiwifarms and alt-right weirdos with fyad again. Please, stop doing that, especially while you accuse others of being disingenuous.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also fyi right after fyad reopened, after the perms for transphobia and all that, after stern warnings to be on their best behavior, one of the newly selected mods was posting "TERF revenge" and harassing another user for their avatar

I want FYAD to be good. I want it to work. The other yadlites show it can work. But FYAD still sucks.

and also "not using slurs" by going "tword" and "fword". So, y'know. Champions of good faith self policing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

loving these levelheaded totally not edgy transphobic nazis in the youtube comments. and i thought fyad was supposed to be ironic?

Hey lowtax how are you feeling about those Bigot Brigade gangtags now?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i have communicated via pms with fyad posters that i dont like the use of slurs. i have also said so in posts in the past but i do not have links handy to them.

were you somehow afraid that being sincere and caring about things would get you shunned from the cool forum for slurs

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

crying about leftists ruining websites as my 20 person subforum that bans anyone new from posting there shrinks year after year

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you have a problem with it, why continue to interact and post with, directly, an insular community that 1) had no problems doing it and 2) would fight to the death to be able to keep doing it?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

were you somehow afraid that being sincere and caring about things would get you shunned from the cool forum for slurs

i am posting sincerely now and have posted sincerely in fyad. i am being shunned from this cool froum right now specifically for trying to be sincere in my posts.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

You know, maybe the fact that it didn't work and you have to keep pming people not to use slurs can. tell you something about fyad culture and the other posters that post within it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think it was the aloof nature of them going "lol @ having a support structure, online" that bothered me the most in that post, and what bothered off the mods to sixer. The general FYAD attitude of going hard making fun of people who go hard about much more sincere things.

It is true that being so alienated you rely on strangers online as your support group is unhealthy, but alienation is the condition of late capitalism. Being reliant on any kind of charity is "unhealthy." It's inherently unhealthy to be precarious. It's not an issue that's reducible to choice like that poster implies, and they deserved their sixer.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Tashilicious posted:

If you have a problem with it, why continue to interact and post with, directly, an insular community that 1) had no problems doing it and 2) would fight to the death to be able to keep doing it?

why are you still interacting and posting on something awful, that same insular community that does all those things you described? whatever your answer is that is my answer. why do i need to defend posting on the forums of which we are all members? and what does that have to do with the big long post by a trans individual who is stating they are afraid of being doxxed. i share those concerns and dont want cspam shut down and dont want people getting doxxed or harassed for being trans on the SA forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
Some people are okay with bigoted shitheads mining the rest of this site to victimize other posters over a decade-plus because said shitheads' forum reminds them of their time on the cutting edge of culture, and I think that's beautiful.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Herstory Begins Now, you knocked this out of the park.

:hai:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

so when you PM'd these fyad regulars, did they stop posting slurs or did they say "oh sorry" and continue doing it

or did they do what the majority of fyad posters did and leave with no intention of coming back

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what the gently caress is going on

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

Dreylad posted:

what the gently caress is going on

dad got peer pressured into being problematic again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am posting sincerely now and have posted sincerely in fyad. i am being shunned from this cool froum right now specifically for trying to be sincere in my posts.

you're going to the mat for a bad post and completely missing the issue at hand

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gently caress off, dipshit, nobody believes you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fucker posted:

Your conflating kiwifarms and alt-right weirdos with fyad again. Please, stop doing that, especially while you accuse others of being disingenuous.

They can be all three, several of them have SS accounts even. We also aren't imagining the way certain fyad posters talk to us. Why would we suddenly suspect them otherwise? No one outside of this website knew or cared that lowtax was streaming.

Pomp has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jan 1, 2020

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you're going to the mat for a bad post and completely missing the issue at hand

[intensely sweating with only two cards in my hand] hmm. what about the fact that person is trans and purports to have concern for their safety, mmmm?!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anukis posted:

dad got peer pressured into being problematic again

https://youtu.be/JP_qF5E4w7U

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

why are you still interacting and posting on something awful, that same insular community that does all those things you described? whatever your answer is that is my answer. why do i need to defend posting on the forums of which we are all members? and what does that have to do with the big long post by a trans individual who is stating they are afraid of being doxxed. i share those concerns and dont want cspam shut down and dont want people getting doxxed or harassed for being trans on the SA forums.

Because this is about context.
This isn't a one off post by a poster. This is a culmination of a whole lot of words, bile, and anger. A whole lot of us have been staring down the barrel of abuse, harassment and mockery for 1) existing, and 2) taking public and visible action to change the culture of the forums to something less regressive.

You sent some PMs and made a few posts then continued to post in fyad.

We publicly blasted the bigotry on show, insisted something be done about it, collected our memberships in new threads and disparate offsites for security, continued to hammer the issue, kept being harassed and trolled for it, and kept it up. Publicly. Visibly. Out here for the world to see. To try and change the culture of the forums that being transphobic is acceptable.

Some people have only started recently, during the last month-six weeks. Some have been doing it a lot longer and have targets on their backs for it.

I don't engage in subforums that engage in bigotry. I avoided them, and then tried to get rid of it.
You continued to be in them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

why are you still interacting and posting on something awful, that same insular community that does all those things you described? .

SA doesn't do all those things, just you. Now gently caress off back to your fetid little swamp.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Who What Now posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Trust your instincts - it really is just that simple

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

Who What Now posted:

to quote clara jeffery, "that's the tea sis"

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
mods have always been bad, every time, everywhere. sorry it you this long to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
remember when FYAD, post reopening, admitted to changing a trans user's av to "A mentally ill man."

and nobody called them out on it? It's still happening. The transphobia never went away.