Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

they're just bans, let people rereg good lord

Why would they want to give lowtax money right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nichael posted:

I'm not a mod, they never modded me. Not that I particularly care, but maybe also listen to the forum when they ask for specific people to mod it, and other specific people to not mod it.

huh LK said it was basically decided.

I guess the chaos derailed things

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Dreylad posted:

Charging a couple hundred bucks to undo the prodding of vicious bigots is a great compromise.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Missing the point which has been discussed repeatedly. Leftism to me means not having to engage in good faith with needless noise.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tashilicious posted:

Instead of going in half-cocked without any idea, read what the hell happened. The QCS threads alone are a good source for the first week of bullshit. Blundering in while you *fully admit to having no idea what's going on or how to fix it* is just going to make poo poo constantly worse.
As you've experience directly now.

As for the "Those are fyad posters they are permabanned posters" thing.
The point of it is look at who is cheering you on with this. Look who is agreeing and egging and declaring themselves proud of those actions you took. Look at that, then look at yourself and wonder if you want them to agree with you even a little bit, and why you take actions that make them agree with you.
People were demanding action. They were saying poo poo should've been done weeks ago. I knew nothing about anything, except that people wanted an admin response NOW, so I attempted to address that. I mean, there were tons of people pissed off at the admins for not saying anything explaining what was going on, and there was essentially silence. I was thrown into all this because everybody else was afraid of the shitstorm that would follow, and I honestly don't blame them. But I'm getting sooooo many conflicting messages from posters who say one thing and posters who say the opposite, and I cannot read the post history of every single person to determine what side of the wall they're on. I've had trans people tell me they're afraid to post in that trans thread. I've heard so many stories and so many conflicting reports that the "WE NEED ACTION AND WE NEED IT NOW" really made it difficult. Anyway, I'm doing the best I can, and please don't expect me to address all these issues at once instantly, because it will take time. I am unbanning the people I banned last night, but I really hope they do not continue being assholes to me or else I will ban them again,

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Again, permaban Party Plane Jones, Logik and Beer4TheBeerGod for helping create this schmozzle on your New Years.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

Gosh I hope this turns into an actual ban for perfect irony.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pomp posted:

Why would they want to give lowtax money right now

I mean, no one should

imagine giving a transphobe money so people can continue to be abused

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lowtax posted:

People were demanding action. They were saying poo poo should've been done weeks ago. I knew nothing about anything, except that people wanted an admin response NOW, so I attempted to address that. I mean, there were tons of people pissed off at the admins for not saying anything explaining what was going on, and there was essentially silence. I was thrown into all this because everybody else was afraid of the shitstorm that would follow, and I honestly don't blame them. But I'm getting sooooo many conflicting messages from posters who say one thing and posters who say the opposite, and I cannot read the post history of every single person to determine what side of the wall they're on. I've had trans people tell me they're afraid to post in that trans thread. I've heard so many stories and so many conflicting reports that the "WE NEED ACTION AND WE NEED IT NOW" really made it difficult. Anyway, I'm doing the best I can, and please don't expect me to address all these issues at once instantly, because it will take time. I am unbanning the people I banned last night, but I really hope they do not continue being assholes to me or else I will ban them again,

Okay, thank you for that. That's a start. Now please engage and listen to the people who have written up very detailed posts on why they're upset. Smarxist, for example, wrote a few very good ones, but there's plenty of others.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh cool you're undoing the bans.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can we get an explanation from your end why FYAD remains open?

aniceguy
Apr 2, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forums hosed, just pull the plug Lowtax. It's costing a fortune to run and it's just eating itself slowly.

People who like you can still donate to your Patreon or livestreams and all the other super-online types can set up their own offsites and Discords or whatever.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Lowtax posted:

Anyway, I'm doing the best I can, and please don't expect me to address all these issues at once instantly, because it will take time. I am unbanning the people I banned last night, but I really hope they do not continue being assholes to me or else I will ban them again,

Thank you, I think this is a good move.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
unbanning people is a great step and I think it will go a long way to helping this drama to end.

just you listening and doing stuff is very positive

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lowtax posted:

I am unbanning the people I banned last night

Thank you

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

We all want them back but I would not be surprised if they did not bother to rereg because the top admin wanted them gone.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lowtax posted:

thank you for listening to us. i hope you stick around this thread so that you can have a dialogue with posters here who can better explain the situation up to this point.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Dreylad posted:

banning people for "sass" in a thread where they were supposed to be able to air their grievances has a chilling effect on board engagement. reversing the bans or letting cspam mods determine who deserves to have their bans rolled back will make it clear that this was a mistake and not how the forums will continue to be run.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Tax Man - I'd echo that listening to Lightning Knight and Nichael would be a good way to assess which things you should take slowly, and which are urgent.

The urgency is because there's a sense that things are at or near a tipping point and that things could become hosed to a point beyond repair. The folks asking for the bans from last night to be undone are looking to pull things back from that precipice.

The bigger changes and underlying drama will be annoying to unpack and frankly it'll be hard finding a solution that makes all constituencies happy. That can likely be a slow process, as that drama has existed for months now.

ETA NM you already figured this out. Thanks Lowtax!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pancakes posted:

Thank you, I think this is a good move.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

banning people for "sass" in a thread where they were supposed to be able to air their grievances has a chilling effect on board engagement. reversing the bans or letting cspam mods determine who deserves to have their bans rolled back will make it clear that this was a mistake and not how the forums will continue to be run.

..until the next time it happens again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Lowtax posted:

I am unbanning the people I banned last night, but I really hope they do not continue being assholes to me or else I will ban them again,

This is great. Thank you.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

We all want them back but I would not be surprised if they did not bother to rereg because the top admin wanted them gone.

Bushido Brown posted:

Mr. Tax Man - I'd echo that listening to Lightning Knight and Nichael would be a good way to assess which things you should take slowly, and which are urgent.

The urgency is because there's a sense that things are at or near a tipping point and that things could become hosed to a point beyond repair. The folks asking for the bans from last night to be undone are looking to pull things back from that precipice.

The bigger changes and underlying drama will be annoying to unpack and frankly it'll be hard finding a solution that makes all constituencies happy. That can likely be a slow process, as that drama has existed for months now.

Even if he un-bans, I kind of worry that he reached that tipping point and discouraged people from coming back. Especially considering many self-banned or just left completely. This was a poor decision for a lot of reasons, but it doesn't even make sense business wise since these people paid into the forum and generated content for it.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
The moderation in this thread has been really good and timely while I've been reading it. Letting the thread play out here might be a good choice.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Argas posted:

Can we get an explanation from your end why FYAD remains open?

To rephrase this in a slightly less accusatory tone, can you describe how you originally became aware of the FYAD "issue" and what you were told about it? I think people are making a lot of assumptions about exactly what you knew and when which is why they were getting so frustrated with you in the T&R thread last night and clearing that up would go a long way towards helping.

And thank you for undoing the bans.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Thank you for undoing the bans Lowtax. You have honestly made me feel a lot better by doing that.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i, for one, am glad half dozen trump thread regulars are coming back

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowtax posted:

Good, thank you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pomp posted:

Wait what

Dark Tzitzimime was a Games / ADTRW poster who constantly posted about titty games and had a huge anime titty avatar, but managed to always stay just barely on the side of not saying anything punishable and presented as someone who was horny but basically harmless.

Shockingly, they turned out to be a creep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
In my entire 11 year posting career I think I've seen FYAD do something funny once, and that was a poster who no longer posts.

If they just stuck to themselves and giggled about their own buttholes or whatever then it'd be fine, but they don't do that.

If you meaningfully enforce this new edict you'd still have a forum of transphobes and other assholes but there's always a first step.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey lowtax could you do something about this thread, it largely seems to be fyad riffing on people being mad https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908601&pagenumber=12&perpage=40

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

Thanks for undoing the bans Lowtax, that's a good solid step. You're doing a lot of hedging to save face and stuff and that's understandable but not really necessary. Your actions are going to be what are remembered here and not the posts. Undoing the bans is good, listening to posters' concerns and address them will be good.

Please keep engaging with the people who are working with you in good faith, this is solid.

It sucks that you're in this situation btw, like I said last night I don't envy you at all. It's not just forums drama for a lot of people involved and I think you realize that and are working to make it right. You better than most recognize that the online/IRL divide is gone in 2020 so I know you can get this.

I don't even know if this is possible because of radiumcode, but reversing some of the autobans would also be cool - not necessary, I don't think anyone would be bad if you can't/didn't, but a lot of those folks autobanned because they thought things were going in a direction you clearly don't mean to take them.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Unban Turtilicious please

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lowtax posted:

People were demanding action. They were saying poo poo should've been done weeks ago. I knew nothing about anything, except that people wanted an admin response NOW, so I attempted to address that.

Things should have been done weeks ago, but couldn't because anyone who had full knowledge of the situation + some authority was afraid to act out of deference to you, who in turn (per your own words) had no idea what was going on.

You busting in and instantly doing something, anything, isn't an ideal solution (obviously) but the problem is that the mods / admins who could have handled this the way it needed to be at the time couldn't or wouldn't.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Thanks for undoing the bans Lowtax, that's a good solid step. You're doing a lot of hedging to save face and stuff and that's understandable but not really necessary. Your actions are going to be what are remembered here and not the posts. Undoing the bans is good, listening to posters' concerns and address them will be good.

Please keep engaging with the people who are working with you in good faith, this is solid.

It sucks that you're in this situation btw, like I said last night I don't envy you at all. It's not just forums drama for a lot of people involved and I think you realize that and are working to make it right. You better than most recognize that the online/IRL divide is gone in 2020 so I know you can get this.

I don't even know if this is possible because of radiumcode, but reversing some of the autobans would also be cool - not necessary, I don't think anyone would be bad if you can't/didn't, but a lot of those folks autobanned because they thought things were going in a direction you clearly don't mean to take them.

Reverse the autobans. Those are valued people who were upset by a very unnecessary action.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tashilicious posted:

Why are so many fyad posters coming out, now, over a month later, and trying to plead in various threads and PMs about understanding and getting along?

Where was this for the past month?

I will say, given how many of the complaints HERE date back to decisions about LF and how eager people are to bail to Discord while things blow over, I think it's entirely possible that the process of closing and then reopening FYAD with... questionable new moderation led to only the angriest/least ironic FYAD posters being around to power post. There presumably actually ARE a lot of lapsed, lurker, or less active FYAD users, probably a good number turned off it because of the group that started the whole mess/jumped right back in to vindicate themselves when it reopened, who are now looking at it as a question of their own last chance.

Having thought on it more, knowing in other situations a good number of perfectly decent people who were the first ones actual bigots drove out of their shitposting dens but who still mourn the loss and wish it could be wound back, closing FYAD was a bad choice and it should've gotten a deep but precise scrub. But I'm not sure there's a way right now to quickly work back to a point where anyone coming from there is believable without an existing personal relationship, or to a point where here people feel like they can go "uhh yikes this thread's culture has gone off the deep end" instead of "close the forum, ban the negative postcounts."

Especially because the choice to make D&D centrist central and C-SPAM "lefty fyadlite, also I guess the heir to a lost age of left effortposting" means that when unrelated things go wrong here (like that separation) we're left with the same old fyadlite model of nominating a superstar to buzz in the admins' ear until we get either a "oh so you weren't joking" or "shut up, forever" - the notion of what we are means concerns are just the usual rumble of shitposting until rules are broken and someone either gets the glory or gets completely strung up pour encourager les autres, neither of which makes for a stable forum.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, Lowtax. The only thing I'm going to say is before you start punishing people next time, make sure you understand why they need to be punished, and then punish them if needed. Don't do it just because someone is asking you to fix everything RIGHT NOW. To achieve that, seek out and talk to as many people involved who are willing to discuss issues with you.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mandoric posted:

I will say, given how many of the complaints HERE date back to decisions about LF and how eager people are to bail to Discord while things blow over, I think it's entirely possible that the process of closing and then reopening FYAD with... questionable new moderation led to only the angriest/least ironic FYAD posters being around to power post. There presumably actually ARE a lot of lapsed, lurker, or less active FYAD users, probably a good number turned off it because of the group that started the whole mess/jumped right back in to vindicate themselves when it reopened, who are now looking at it as a question of their own last chance.

Having thought on it more, knowing in other situations a good number of perfectly decent people who were the first ones actual bigots drove out of their shitposting dens but who still mourn the loss and wish it could be wound back, closing FYAD was a bad choice and it should've gotten a deep but precise scrub. But I'm not sure there's a way right now to quickly work back to a point where anyone coming from there is believable without an existing personal relationship, or to a point where here people feel like they can go "uhh yikes this thread's culture has gone off the deep end" instead of "close the forum, ban the negative postcounts."

Especially because the choice to make D&D centrist central and C-SPAM "lefty fyadlite, also I guess the heir to a lost age of left effortposting" means that when unrelated things go wrong here (like that separation) we're left with the same old fyadlite model of nominating a superstar to buzz in the admins' ear until we get either a "oh so you weren't joking" or "shut up, forever" - the notion of what we are means concerns are just the usual rumble of shitposting until rules are broken and someone either gets the glory or gets completely strung up pour encourager les autres, neither of which makes for a stable forum.

fyad was closed because the posters would literally not be able to stop themselves from posting new thransphobic slur/attack threads when the previous ones got locked.

Dec 26, 2012

thanks very much for undoing the bans, and for the announcement

Nichael posted:

Reverse the autobans. Those are valued people who were upset by a very unnecessary action.

this would be appreciated too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Thank you for unbanning the trans posters Taxman. It's a positive step. I have faith that things will get sorted even if there are missteps, you arent a bad guy at heart.