Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

eke out posted:

this is like the second or third thread I've seen you post in where moderators have dropped by to say "please respond to us in the mod forum"

to be fair there is some factionalism going on in the mod forum so he could have just got that info from particular mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lowtax posted:

Again, I had no idea issues were running so deep. I got some pretty limited information and was told I needed to immediately address it, because a lot of animosity was built up and something needed to be done fast.

A lot of this advice people are giving isn't necessarily aimed at you personally, but at mods/admins in general. People are bringing it to you because, well, you're the boss.

And as I said last night, people are always going to demand immediate action on things. And while that would often be ideal, if you don't have any idea what is going on obviously it's a bit unrealistic to expect that. Anyway, I think the two moves you made today constitute a good start to fixing this.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argas posted:

Wonder what happened with Smythe.

I suspect he closed QCS and then ran away.
Like a coward.
Which he is.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had a big carepost here but the short of it is mod sass is a dumb rule because it stifles dialogue with community, which will invariably get heated at some point when discussing heavy topics.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Fucker posted:

loving Hell. Lowtax has laid down the hammer. transphobia is bannable. bigotry is bannable. even saying that ironic bigotry is meaningfully different from actual bigotry is a bannable offense that has been enforced. half the sub-forum is either probated or perma-banned. dont loving close down the last funny sub-forum on this website.

why would lowtax close pet island

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

I had a big carepost here but the short of it is mod sass is a dumb rule because it stifles dialogue with community, which will invariably get heated at some point when discussing heavy topics.

Also this. If a mod or admin is acting like a loving idiot making GBS threads all over his hands and then painting the walls with it, we should be able to say it plainly and bluntly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lowtax posted:

I have been listening to the mods and admins. I have been listening to people telling me what's going on. But personal attacks really do not help at all when I'm trying to figure all this poo poo out and deal with it.

After some people called out the fyad lgbt/trans thread for being wildly, insanely inappropriate (seriously, go look at the screenshots, poo poo was completely indefensible and not even funny to boot) there were a bunch of people posting completely blatant and overt bigotry in a ton of qcs threads and then smugly going 'oh are you upset, must be mentally ill, you should go outside' when people called them out on it. The sheer quantity of it was so much that there was a multi-day backlog to the probations and bans queued up from it which gave the perception that no one gave enough of a gently caress to shut it down.

They were absolutely trying to provoke a crisis and drive out as many trans posters as they could knowing that you had personal poo poo on your plate that was your main priority. The timing was not at all coincidental.

Unless you like reading horrible poo poo, I don't really suggest reading them start to finish, but I'd definitely peruse a few pages here and there to see the poo poo that had people up in arms. And remember that no one was getting probated/banned until way after the fact so it didn't appear that anyone in power really gave a gently caress.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906091
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905983
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906296

Igotadigbick posted:

What the gently caress is funny about fyad anyway?
Like nothing in there is funny, it reads like a group of obnoxious 12 year olds screaming down a headset in gta trying to be edgy.

IMO that was the most damning thing (aside from all the blatant bigotry, ofc): people kept asking them to post a link to a funny fyad thread from the last five years and it was crickets

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

mags posted:

why would lowtax close pet island

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tashilicious posted:

I would highly recommend getting directly acquainted with the threads in QCS. And examine the timeline of what happened.

QCS remained majorly unmodded and open to abuse and harassment for three or four days without any sort of action or message from the admins or mods. Not only were no steps taken we weren't told a drat thing, and had to glean what information we could get from mods who dropped significant hints in outside threads, or privately.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I say "We want action now", it includes finding out what happened. Because you cannot take any sort of appropriate and mindful action until you figure that out.

There are probably some people from the TGRS thread that might be willing to walk you through it, with some caveats. 1) That you don't approach it like you did last time, and 2) That you listen. Doing it through PMs or discord is probably better than reposting in the thread, though, since your last visit and events from yesterday have left a lot of bad blood. And there is a lot of poo poo to unravel. Hundreds of pages in those QCS threads alone, the threads and invasions and poo poo from other forums add at least as much again.

i can confirm that yeah theres a few people who would be willing to sit down and talk with you privately about this, because there's a lot going on and its gotta be hard to process when one hundred lunatics are screaming at you. theres a lot of complex dynamics at play hereand you deserve to get the whole story, from people who are affected by it

Dec 26, 2012

Pomp posted:

cosigned

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Igotadigbick posted:

What the gently caress is funny about fyad anyway?
Like nothing in there is funny, it reads like a group of obnoxious 12 year olds screaming down a headset in gta trying to be edgy.

Let's not do this in this thread please. This is not the thread to hold court on the funniness or unfunniness of FYAD.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

After some people called out the fyad lgbt/trans thread for being wildly, insanely inappropriate (seriously, go look at the screenshots, poo poo was completely indefensible and not even funny to boot) there were a bunch of people posting completely blatant and overt bigotry in a ton of qcs threads and then smugly going 'oh are you upset, must be mentally ill, you should go outside' when people called them out on it. The sheer quantity of it was so much that there was a multi-day backlog to the probations and bans queued up from it which gave the perception that no one gave enough of a gently caress to shut it down.

They were absolutely trying to provoke a crisis and drive out as many trans posters as they could knowing that you had personal poo poo on your plate that was your main priority. The timing was not at all coincidental.

Unless you like reading horrible poo poo, I don't really suggest reading them start to finish, but I'd definitely peruse a few pages here and there to see the poo poo that had people up in arms. And remember that no one was getting probated/banned until way after the fact so it didn't appear that anyone in power really gave a gently caress.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906091
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905983
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906296

The fact that it took three whole entire days for probes and bans to even begin trickling into QCS with the blatant bad faith trollery going on was obscene.

What I heard about why is even more so.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lowtax did come speak to us in the mod forum last night and this morning so we could explain things and cool them off, and I appreciate it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tashilicious posted:

The fact that it took three whole entire days for probes and bans to even begin trickling into QCS with the blatant bad faith trollery going on was obscene.

It didn't help that QCS was long seen as a useless part of the forums by some posters because QCS regulars and some FYAD posters would just slip into threads made about serious issues and post sarcastically.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lowtax posted:

It wasn't just somebody telling me to fix everything RIGHT NOW, it was a large group of people who were already mad things weren't fixed or addressed like three weeks ago.

I get that. It's still not the right approach. If people are getting too rowdy in your opinion, demanding immediate action, no matter what the action is, sure, drop a short probe with a clear explanation that you need time to get into the situation, just don't do anything drastic without crystal clear understanding of what's happening. And if that will require another month with whatever is going on in your personal life, that's fine, too, just say so and ask people to wait for your decision and not escalate.

Dec 26, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Lowtax did come speak to us in the mod forum last night and this morning so we could explain things and cool them off, and I appreciate it.

good

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

And we also need space to tell you how we've been hurt.
You can freely express that to me and I will listen. But you have to understand, from my side, I was just dumped into the mess and had no clue about the other stuff happening in other forums. I was presented an extremely limited summary, and assumed that's what the entire problem was. I know people are pissed off at me, and more than likely will forever stay that way no matter what I say or do, but I was basically forced to immediately drop in and diffuse a situation that was much more complicated than I was initially told (by mods / admins). Nothing I said was or how I acted was influenced by any other posters, "Nazis" or otherwise. Hell, not even a single poster contacted me to let me know there were any issues. If I had know, I'd have been in there sooner.

So feel free to tell me how you've been hurt. But keep in mind that I literally had nothing to do with you being hurt, because nobody really informed me of all the things that were happening. Personal attacks are extremely counterproductive, because I'm honestly trying to do the right stuff here and I'm still trying to understand everything that happened and how it all connects.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ You can tell me why you've been hurt but it's not my fault? gently caress off.

Lowtax I would PM you but you removed my plat when you petty banned me for daring to stand up to your bullshit in the trans issues thread.

If you had no idea what was going on, didn't know a loving thing about what happened with FYAD, QCS or the trans posters on this forum, why the gently caress did you post there at all? You came in demanding we accept a completely bullshit "compromise" that the no bigotry rule in fyad was seriously going to be enforced this time, for realsies, and then when you got too much flak for the obviously terrible loving decision you made, you rage quit and took me out with you because you are literally the most thin skinned person on this website. You came in touting how you've been such a good ally for 20 years and then someone very easily found evidence that, no, this was not the case, you and SA have been transphobic for a while, you loving left crying, and refused to do anything at all.

Guess what, giving you poo poo because your token step forward isn't anywhere close to enough doesn't mean we have to prostrate ourselves before you. I'm not giving you an ounce for credit for undoing those bans that shouldn't have been done in the first place from last night because people dared to quote how lovely you were being in your stream about trans people. Last night was loving terrible and quite a few people I know have either autobanned or are just quitting the site all together. It was completely loving horrible and you should be loving ashamed of yourself.

You need to step back and give the site to someone who actually gives a poo poo. You clearly have way too much poo poo going on in your life to be dealing with this site burning down around you because you can't or won't get loving educated about what actually happens on your drat website. Quit being a coward.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tashilicious posted:

See, I was never informed of this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pomp posted:

If you still have to have a mod sass rule then just make it sixers or a dayprobe to get the person heckling you out of your hair and to say to not do that, without the impact of a full ban.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

fool of sound posted:

Super glad to hear this, was hoping so.

I know that there's a powerful "gently caress cops mods are cops and actually love bigoted posters" energy sometimes but I think most people understand that there are legitimate software and staffing barriers to addressing a lot of problems on SA since it's legacy code from before browsers could use HTML or whatever

It doesn't make things better to know why poo poo's hosed up, but I know there are a lot of good people working on it and I know Jeffrey is working hard to try to resolve some of the software barriers, so thanks

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Paramemetic posted:

Let's not do this in this thread please. This is not the thread to hold court on the funniness or unfunniness of FYAD.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Noted! :)

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

You can freely express that to me and I will listen. But you have to understand, from my side, I was just dumped into the mess and had no clue about the other stuff happening in other forums. I was presented an extremely limited summary, and assumed that's what the entire problem was. I know people are pissed off at me, and more than likely will forever stay that way no matter what I say or do, but I was basically forced to immediately drop in and diffuse a situation that was much more complicated than I was initially told (by mods / admins). Nothing I said was or how I acted was influenced by any other posters, "Nazis" or otherwise. Hell, not even a single poster contacted me to let me know there were any issues. If I had know, I'd have been in there sooner.

So feel free to tell me how you've been hurt. But keep in mind that I literally had nothing to do with you being hurt, because nobody really informed me of all the things that were happening. Personal attacks are extremely counterproductive, because I'm honestly trying to do the right stuff here and I'm still trying to understand everything that happened and how it all connects.

Who is giving you info Lowtax.
Because whoever it is is literally lying to you, if not by omission then straight up lying.
Or you are lying to us.

Because it boggles the mind that no one would have said "It's getting so bad there's a five page report log for QCS alone"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lowtax posted:

I had zero idea what was going on weeks ago. I still don't loving completely know. So nobody deferred to me, because I didn't know what exactly was happening and I absolutely wouldn't give any advice if I knew the complete story and situation. Look, half the people in this thread are saying things should've been done immediately, half are saying I should've waited and talked to people and get familiar with all this pent up and complex drama. It's really a poo poo position I was dumped into.

To be clear I think "be constantly aware of the overall climate and current events of the SA forums, and plan on how to deal with them when things get out of hand" is an insanely huge task, and one that it would be difficult for one person to deal with period, let alone during the holidays and with other stuff going on in their life. I'm not blaming you for that.

The flip side of that is that, under the current sort of default schema, I don't think anyone else has the power to, for instance, close or open subforums, or make other sweeping decisions about how all moderation on the site is going to be handled going forward. There probably should be someone, and honestly it should probably be a group of people who can make decisions by quorum rather than defaulting all the way up to you simply because you own the place.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
now that it's dealt with, should probably close the thread before more non cspam posters dogpile in because lowtax is posting here

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The problem on this loving website is not people being sassy to you, you frickin' dolt.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Lowtax, as long as your word is law here, the buck stops with you. It's not entirely fair, but no one is forcing you to be in this position.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CascadeBeta posted:

^^ You can tell me why you've been hurt but it's not my fault? gently caress off.

Lowtax I would PM you but you removed my plat when you petty banned me for daring to stand up to your bullshit in the trans issues thread.

If you had no idea what was going on, didn't know a loving thing about what happened with FYAD, QCS or the trans posters on this forum, why the gently caress did you post there at all? You came in demanding we accept a completely bullshit "compromise" that the no bigotry rule in fyad was seriously going to be enforced this time, for realsies, and then when you got too much flak for the obviously terrible loving decision you made, you rage quit and took me out with you because you are literally the most thin skinned person on this website. You came in touting how you've been such a good ally for 20 years and then someone very easily found evidence that, no, this was not the case, you and SA have been transphobic for a while, you loving left crying, and refused to do anything at all.

Guess what, giving you poo poo because your token step forward isn't anywhere close to enough doesn't mean we have to prostrate ourselves before you. I'm not giving you an ounce for credit for undoing those bans that shouldn't have been done in the first place from last night because people dared to quote how lovely you were being in your stream about trans people. Last night was loving terrible and quite a few people I know have either autobanned or are just quitting the site all together. It was completely loving horrible and you should be loving ashamed of yourself.

You need to step back and give the site to someone who actually gives a poo poo. You clearly have way too much poo poo going on in your life to be dealing with this site burning down around you because you can't or won't get loving educated about what actually happens on your drat website. Quit being a coward.
You're an absolute terrible poster.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bedshaped posted:

now that it's dealt with, should probably close the thread before more non cspam posters dogpile in because lowtax is posting here

There is literally nowhere else on the forum to discuss anything related to this issue.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

Wow, what a great response that seriously addresses the concerns of trans people have been bringing up for a month at this point.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So my take away from this is that literally anyone who had the power to fix this way earlier kept kicking the can until it got to Lowtax.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Again, I had no idea issues were running so deep. I got some pretty limited information and was told I needed to immediately address it, because a lot of animosity was built up and something needed to be done fast.

Dear Mr. Lowtax,

Many of our moderators are cool and good and appreciated by the community. Lightning Knight and Captain Maclain in particular! Please give them raises. But some are less good, and avoid commenting after doing controversial things, and cowardly self probate rather than engage (Party Plane Jones). Some dont have the confidence of their community (Logikv9), and admins seem unwiling to understand or do anything about that and it riles up the natives. CSPAM is also prone to making a thousand posts an hour about whatever has stirred the hive. Its part of our 'forums culture'.

Thank you for your time,
Kind regards,
Forum Poster Nix Panicus

PS Please change the forum name to CSPAM: Better Posts Aren't Possible, TIA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I suppose this thread is as good as any other to reignite the shouting match lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lowtax posted:

See, I was never informed of this.

you really don't have to keep posting about how you never knew anything about anything, you should just assume everyone knows you think you are innocent and move forward

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Who is giving you info Lowtax.
Because whoever it is is literally lying to you, if not by omission then straight up lying.
Or you are lying to us.

Because it boggles the mind that no one would have said "It's getting so bad there's a five page report log for QCS alone"

Lowtax has his own personal problems at the moment that's are largely more important than the forums so there isn't a whole lot of communication going on right now. It's one of the reasons why harassing him into DOING SOMETHING RIGHT NOW is super counterproductive.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tashilicious posted:

There is literally nowhere else on the forum to discuss anything related to this issue.

what is the issue? The issue of this thread is finished. All the banned posters are unbanned.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

eke out posted:

you really don't have to keep posting about how you never knew anything about anything, you should just assume everyone knows you think you are innocent and move forward

lol

funniest post in this thread so far

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bedshaped posted:

what is the issue? The issue of this thread is finished. All the banned posters are unbanned.

It really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

fool of sound posted:

Lowtax has his own personal problems at the moment that's are largely more important than the forums so there isn't a whole lot of communication going on right now. It's one of the reasons why harassing him into DOING SOMETHING RIGHT NOW is super counterproductive.

No one was calling for lowtax specifically to do something right now. He's the one that injected himself into the issue by posting in the trans issues thread.