Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My mental image of the night

i saw this band in a converted london underground train carriage

also rip grindcore goat

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a garage punk bank. All of that could have been twenty seconds.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How do you not know about mosh pits? I've never been to a punk show but I know what mosh pits are because of cultural osmosis. I don't even know how you couldn't.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

How do you not know about mosh pits? I've never been to a punk show but I know what mosh pits are because of cultural osmosis. I don't even know how you couldn't.

but did you know the predominate enemy of the romans was actually the unified dinosaur nation

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Straight White Shark posted:

Support their careers by alleviating them of the distraction of a relationship

All the drummers will starve or die of exposure.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

no amount of cultural osmosis could have prepared me for the first time i got caught up in a real mosh pit

even so, that was a gogol bordello show, and if this reddit guy's band really is any flavor of "hardcore" then lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

thatguy posted:

but did you know the predominate enemy of the romans was actually the unified dinosaur nation

The romans were able to keep the dinosaurs at bay with their army of robots.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Apparently, Augustus decorated his home with the bones of dinosaurs and wooly mammoths and stuff:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/drsarahbond/2016/06/29/roman-emperors-monster-bones-and-the-early-history-of-fossil-hunting/ posted:

The imperial biographer Suetonius notes that in Augustus’ vacation house on the island of Capri, he preferred displaying rare antiquities over opulent decorations. The emperor displayed what he believed were the huge limbs of sea monsters and wild beasts for his guests to marvel at. Some thought they were the bones of giants. 

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Solovey posted:

no amount of cultural osmosis could have prepared me for the first time i got caught up in a real mosh pit

This one time I saw Metallica when they played at a salesForce shindig (apparently the SF ceo and the band are friends or something).

The band ended up releasing tickets to their fans and a bunch of us got in to see them, while having nothing to do with the company. Metallica is about to hit the stage and there’s a mob of about fifty Metallica fans standing towards the back and you know there’s going to be a huge surge as the band kicks off.

Standing in the middle of the floor were a stunning woman in a sheath dress and heels and her partner who was all duded up nice and was holding an iPad overhead to film the stage. Predicting the inevitable, I walked over to this couple and told them they should move because they are at ground zero when it all kicks off.

They ignored me and sure enough, the band starts to play, the Metallica fans surge forward, and SalesForce employees get knocked rear end over teakettle as the pit opens up.

It’s quite possible this girl knew what was about to happen (due to cultural osmosis or otherwise) but was just being stubborn and decided to stay where she was “in support”.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
this poo poo is why I don't go to concerts

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for drawing attention to my sister's much younger new husband?

My (21M) older sister (35F) eloped with a widower earlier this year and since she has no social media the only way to keep tabs on her is direct contact. I met him for the first time last week for the holiday and was taken back by how incredibly young he is. Turns out he turned 24 on the 23rd of December, so two days before meeting him. My self and my parents were shocked when my sister showed up heavily pregnant with a very young-looking guy and a five-year-old stepdaughter already calling her "mom." I guess I was under the impression he was older based on the way she'd spoken about him, that he owns a home, has a masters in engineering, and he's already been married and widowed.

The night started off awkward, but everything smoothed out by dinner. It wasn't until my new BIL revealed that he and my sister have been together for three and a half years and that he was so happy to finally meet us, that I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. I pulled my sister aside after dinner and tried to talk to her about their age difference. I tried not to be confrontational, but I asked her why would start dating a 20-year-old when she was already in her 30's. I commented on how surprised I was at how young he is, and that it was kind of weird for me that she was dating someone my age. I didn't say anything negative per se, just that it was incredibly shocking. She said it wasn't something she wanted to discuss during the holidays and to just leave it be. I told her I was hurt that she never told me she was dating someone, and that we've always been close.

My brothers (25M and 17M) also tried confronting our sister and her husband about the age difference that night because my new BIL ended up incredibly defensive. He felt the need to explain to everyone that he was already a father and a husband by the time he was 19, that he had a career, that he didn't appreciate us 'hassling' his wife, and to just drop it. When I chimed in to say it's just because we were surprised, not because we're angry or think poorly of our sister, that it's just weird that she's dating a guy basically our age when we've always thought of her as so much older. My sister interrupted and once again reiterated that "this is not the place to have this discussion." I agreed, and we ended up playing board games for the rest of the night and opening gifts. My sister and BIL still don't want to engage in discussions about their age difference and have shut down any conversation other family members have started about it. AITA asking about it and voicing that it is weird that my sister is dating someone so young?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mom [44F] got me [16M] sweatpants for Xmas and we’re discussing my dick print

quote:

She heard gray Nike joggers are in style and got me a pair. I said they were great but she insisted I try them on in case she had to return them. We both agreed that they’re way too revealing in the crotch. The problem is my flaccid penis pokes straight out - it’s too short (<2 inches) to hang down.

My mom was trying to figure out why they were so revealing but I didn’t have the heart to tell her that’s just how my penis looks. She thought the pants might be too tight, or thin, or the wrong color. She even asked me if I was aroused.

Now she’s returning the sweatpants and wants me to come so we can find ones that cover me up better. Of course, no matter what pants we try other than jeans, it’ll be the same issue. How do you think I should explain to her that I just have a short penis that pokes out?

Mom [44F] thinks I [16M] may have a micropenis

quote:

This is an update, the original post was "Mom [44F] got me [16M] sweatpants for Xmas and we’re discussing my dick print" https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/egl8gf/mom_44f_got_me_16m_sweatpants_for_xmas_and_were/

I told my Mom that I appreciated the sweatpants but I just don't have the build for them. She said I was being silly to only wear jeans and she would get a pair of thicker, darker and looser sweatpants to try on.

I tried on the new sweatpants and we agreed they were still very revealing in the crotch. Mom asked if maybe my underwear was too tight and causing a push-up effect so the sweatpants didn't lay flat. I finally had to explain that my penis just doesn't hang down, it points straight out. She didn't understand, she thought the pants were too tight and my penis was being pointed upwards. She said if your whole penis is pointing straight out right now, then that means it's only about an inch? I had to admit that was the truth (I also had some shrinkage from nervous embarrassment.) My Mom looked really confused and shocked and disappointed that my penis is that small.

Mom then got concerned that I might have a micropenis. She said I'm only 16 and I should see a doctor because it might not be too late to correct it if that was the case. I said I don't have a micropenis and it might still get bigger on its own. She was googling if a one inch flaccid penis is a micropenis but didn't find an answer. The only data she found was that a micropenis is smaller than 3 inches erect. She said if I wasn't willing to talk to the doctor about it then my only other choice was to talk to her. She said she hated to ask but is my erection smaller than 3 inches? The truth is it's 3.5 inches and I was embarrassed to tell my Mom it's that small. So I said I've never measured it. She said I have to choose, she wants me to go the doctor and discuss it but if I refuse then she wants me to measure it and tell her.

Which do you think I should do? I really don't want to do either one. Going to the doctor just for this seems mortifying especially because I usually get bad shrinkage there. It would be easier at this point to just tell my mom a number, but I'm not sure if I should tell the truth (3.5") or tell her I'm actually 5" or something way out of the micropenis range. I'm glad I have a very honest great relationship with her, but still this is so awkward!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

feedmegin posted:

Is it the ch in 'loch' in the Scottish sense?

Its different.

It’s the same shape you make with your tongue when you day an “L” sound, but you make a fricative noise out the sides of your tongue. You should feel the air hitting your teeth on either side of the tongue rather than passing over the tip of your tongue, as the tip is held against the roof of your mouth like in a normal L sound. It is unvoiced fricative (like an S sound or th in “forth” but not th in “there”), so don’t actually “say” L while you do it, all the noise comes from the fricative.

In the Scottish loch ch sound you push the back of your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 1, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course i don't know what it's like to have a micropenis, but can he not just wear tighter underwear so that it does fold down? or like, retract into itself?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for drawing attention to my sister's much younger new husband?

Oh my god I feel bad for the sister. OP and the other siblings do not have real problems to give such a gently caress.

Yeah it's weird. Yeah your sister should have told you. No you don't need to make it an issue right then and there you stupid busybody fucks. Get to know the guy, talk with your sister later, and if it seems to be functional then move on and mind your own loving business.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
She's worried the small penis came from her genes.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
It’s actually properly called the “voiceless alveolar lateral fricative”

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for pretending not to recognize someone trying to apologize?

In high school a girl ("Kimmy") I [F30s] was best friends with turned on me freshman year and became my worst nightmare. She was a cold and cruel bully and everything we ever shared when we had been friends was ammo for her to use against me, including deeply personal things about me. If I wasn't being bullied I was ostracized. By the time I was a junior I was a depressed wreck of a person and could barely function. I transferred to a new school, moved away, and got therapy. I finally learned to love myself and have had a great life since then.

Recently I was back in that town for the first time in thirteen years. I've not seen or spoken to anyone I went to that first school with since I left. One of my friends was getting married in that old town and I stopped by the grocery store to stock up for our week-long stay. I was nearing the end of my shopping when I heard someone calling my name. It was Kimmy. She was still just as beautiful, looked exactly the same, just a little older, like I do.

She came up to me and told me she had been trying for some time to find me, that she wanted to apologize for how she treated me in high School. She said shortly after I left school she began to realize what an awful person she'd be to me and the effect her actions had. She said that she got some therapy herself and had been trying to find me to apologize. She admitted to everything she did to me, the pain she caused me, and then asked if I could find it in my heart to forgive her. Now, I'm all about forgiveness but this girl did things to my mental health that still cause effects to this day. I remain in therapy, though it's been a decade and a half. She's the one person I don't think I can ever forgive. I know that's not healthy but somethings are unforgivable.

So told her, "that's great and all but are you sure that was me? I don't remember you. Did you go to [private school]?" Kimmy looked as though I'd destroyed her and insisted I remembered her, that we had been best friends in middle school. I told her, "I'm sorry but I just don't remember you. Middle school was a long time ago. Anyway, I've gotta run, my husband and baby are waiting for me. Happy Holidays!" I'll never forget the look on her face as I walked away, she was absolutely crushed. And honestly, I felt vindicated and since then I've been experience better mental health than usual. It seriously felt like a weight had been lifted. But when I told my husband he said that while he understood why I did it it was still a jerk move because Kimmy has the right to apologize, which takes a lot of guts. I don't have to accept but I could have at least acknowledged her and maybe given her the ability to move on. I don't know, it felt pretty drat good but his words echo in my mind.

Was I an rear end in a top hat?

ETA: popular consensus seems to judge me as an rear end in a top hat. I accept that judgement and I am ultimately ok with being an rear end in a top hat. Somethings are unforgivable and some people don't deserve forgiveness. I don't know what this woman has gone through since we last spoke, and frankly, I don't care. She could have become the successor to the Dalai Lama for all I care. The impressions we leave on people will stay for the rest of a lifetime. It's not worth saying she was a kid and kids make mistakes because not every kid is a bully. So, while I 100% accept that I'm a bully, and have no argument there, I'm cool with being an rear end in a top hat. At least I own up to it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirking_Serpent posted:

In high school a girl ("Kimmy") I [F30s] was best friends with turned on me freshman year and became my worst nightmare. She was a cold and cruel bully and everything we ever shared when we had been friends was ammo for her to use against me, including deeply personal things about me. If I wasn't being bullied I was ostracized. By the time I was a junior I was a depressed wreck of a person and could barely function. I transferred to a new school, moved away, and got therapy. I finally learned to love myself and have had a great life since then.

Recently I was back in that town for the first time in thirteen years. I've not seen or spoken to anyone I went to that first school with since I left. One of my friends was getting married in that old town and I stopped by the grocery store to stock up for our week-long stay. I was nearing the end of my shopping when I heard someone calling my name. It was Kimmy. She was still just as beautiful, looked exactly the same, just a little older, like I do.

She came up to me and told me she had been trying for some time to find me, that she wanted to apologize for how she treated me in high School. She said shortly after I left school she began to realize what an awful person she'd be to me and the effect her actions had. She said that she got some therapy herself and had been trying to find me to apologize. She admitted to everything she did to me, the pain she caused me, and then asked if I could find it in my heart to forgive her. Now, I'm all about forgiveness but this girl did things to my mental health that still cause effects to this day. I remain in therapy, though it's been a decade and a half. She's the one person I don't think I can ever forgive. I know that's not healthy but somethings are unforgivable.

So told her, "that's great and all but are you sure that was me? I don't remember you. Did you go to [private school]?" Kimmy looked as though I'd destroyed her and insisted I remembered her, that we had been best friends in middle school. I told her, "I'm sorry but I just don't remember you. Middle school was a long time ago. Anyway, I've gotta run, my husband and baby are waiting for me. Happy Holidays!" I'll never forget the look on her face as I walked away, she was absolutely crushed. And honestly, I felt vindicated and since then I've been experience better mental health than usual. It seriously felt like a weight had been lifted. But when I told my husband he said that while he understood why I did it it was still a jerk move because Kimmy has the right to apologize, which takes a lot of guts. I don't have to accept but I could have at least acknowledged her and maybe given her the ability to move on. I don't know, it felt pretty drat good but his words echo in my mind.

ETA: popular consensus seems to judge me as an rear end in a top hat. I accept that judgement and I am ultimately ok with being an rear end in a top hat. Somethings are unforgivable and some people don't deserve forgiveness. I don't know what this woman has gone through since we last spoke, and frankly, I don't care. She could have become the successor to the Dalai Lama for all I care. The impressions we leave on people will stay for the rest of a lifetime. It's not worth saying she was a kid and kids make mistakes because not every kid is a bully. So, while I 100% accept that I'm a bully, and have no argument there, I'm cool with being an rear end in a top hat. At least I own up to it.

Ice cold. She was an rear end in a top hat, but we can all aspire to be this goddamn brutal someday.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this owns.

you are not obligated to absolve anyone else because they want to feel better.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razorrozar posted:

this owns.

you are not obligated to absolve anyone else because they want to feel better.

pretend i posted the bobby wickam quote here

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's cold and even petty, but sometimes that's what you've reaped and that's what you sow. Maybe in 10 more years it would have been fine, but it's still not fine, and that's ok.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
she's clearly the rear end in a top hat for ostensibly asking AITA when she just wanted to humblebrag about her good fortune

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

To be fair, if I had a personal triumph of spite like that, I'd want to brag about it too.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

haha yeah I didn't catch that. At least at the end of the song jump in or say something lol.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if you've ever had a moment of spite like that you know it's something you want to brag about, and arguably should if you're reclaiming a sense of dignity someone else tried to take away from you.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Why won't the victim of bullying stop and consider the tormentor's feelings?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kimmy got owned, OP did nothing wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"You forgive the other person for their sake, not yours"

and

"Holding onto anger and pain is like drinking poison and expecting your tormenter to die"

These saying are so ancient I'm pretty sure they predate Rome.

----

Eventually yeah, she should let go and forgive. She's clearly not ready and is under no obligation to. Not doing so and being petty about posting her moment of triumph absolutely makes her an rear end in a top hat. She's not a bully for being spiteful, and her tormentor definitely deserves the pain. All of these things can be simultaneously true and more.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sagebrush posted:

of course i don't know what it's like to have a micropenis, but can he not just wear tighter underwear so that it does fold down? or like, retract into itself?

duct tape solves another problem

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
dude should just learn to tuck

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
flaccid length does not equate to erect length. a one-two inch flaccid cock is not a micropenis.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How'd you know huh smart guy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

flaccid length does not equate to erect length. a one-two inch flaccid cock is not a micropenis.

I understand that Senator, but the question was about the deficit.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to give "back" a gift that my boyfriend's daughter (13) had already refused to accept?

My boyfriend (37M) has two daughters. A 10 year old and a 13 year old. We've been dating for about 3 years now. I get along well with the younger daughter and she and I'm kind of like a big sister/auntie to her. The older daughter does not like me and makes it clear that she would rather her father not date me (or anyone else from what I gather).

Boyfriend and his ex share custody and this year, since my boyfriend had them for Christmas, I got them both presents (got them both necklaces). 10 year old was very excited and happy with her gift. 13 year old got huffy and said she didn't want anything from me and refused to "accept" the gift. 10 year old also opened 13 year old's gift after she refused to accept it and I could tell that she did like what I'd got her. I decided to keep it for myself.

Fast forward to today, 13 year old calls and she wants the necklace. She didn't apologise for her rude behaviour from before or anything (which I honestly don't care too much about). She asked me to give it to her since it's "hers" and "you already bought it". I told her that it wasn't hers since she refused to accept the gift and that I'm not going to give it "back" to her. She got upset and complained to my boyfriend who told her it was up to me whether or not I wanted to give her the gift anymore.

Am I being too harsh on her? My sister thinks I'm just making my own life more difficult by not just giving it to her. Is it petty of me? AITA for refusing to give a gift that I did buy for her?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer posted:

How'd you know huh smart guy

i can show you

Mozi posted:

I understand that Senator, but the question was about the deficit.

wait i thought it was wendies

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to give "back" a gift that my boyfriend's daughter (13) had already refused to accept?

My boyfriend (37M) has two daughters. A 10 year old and a 13 year old. We've been dating for about 3 years now. I get along well with the younger daughter and she and I'm kind of like a big sister/auntie to her. The older daughter does not like me and makes it clear that she would rather her father not date me (or anyone else from what I gather).

Boyfriend and his ex share custody and this year, since my boyfriend had them for Christmas, I got them both presents (got them both necklaces). 10 year old was very excited and happy with her gift. 13 year old got huffy and said she didn't want anything from me and refused to "accept" the gift. 10 year old also opened 13 year old's gift after she refused to accept it and I could tell that she did like what I'd got her. I decided to keep it for myself.

Fast forward to today, 13 year old calls and she wants the necklace. She didn't apologise for her rude behaviour from before or anything (which I honestly don't care too much about). She asked me to give it to her since it's "hers" and "you already bought it". I told her that it wasn't hers since she refused to accept the gift and that I'm not going to give it "back" to her. She got upset and complained to my boyfriend who told her it was up to me whether or not I wanted to give her the gift anymore.

Am I being too harsh on her? My sister thinks I'm just making my own life more difficult by not just giving it to her. Is it petty of me? AITA for refusing to give a gift that I did buy for her?

oof complicated, I'd probably give it too her just because its leverage in a war you didn't really ask for with a huffy little shitbag whose definitely screwed and only going to get worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that's definitely a case of "lose the battle to win the war" like yeah you should be able to hold firm and say to the kid "that's not how gifts work after you refuse them" but you can't in this kind-of dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Why would you vote her TA?