Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Squalid, that the US is transparently trying to find excuses to start a conflict with Iran to distract from Trump's horrible domestic press (which by his own words he specifically considers a good plan, though when he brought it up a year ago he said it should be closer to the election) does not make it seem more certain that Iran was involved. Ironically, that was meant to be a precursor to strikes but the evidence they presented was so flimsy, like a video of an unmooring, seriously, that's all they had?, that they got laughed at internationally before they could put together a response. Now we're seeing round 2 of it where suddenly someone is whining about a dead contractor, which is a historic first. The entire point of contractors/mercenaries is that if you kill them, it doesn't start wars

Well it's in Iraq, where we ostensibly have a huge amount of diplomatic (if certainly strained) resources and various non-explosive ways of pressuring the Iraqi government to bring people to justice. Jumping to launching an air strike is just so wildly inflammatory when there's a billion other influence levers that could be brought to bear.

The contractor wasn’t working for a run of the mill pmc, he was a DOD Linguist. Not that it really effects the circumstances all that much, but there is a distinction somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Thump! posted:

The contractor wasn’t working for a run of the mill pmc, he was a DOD Linguist. Not that it really effects the circumstances all that much, but there is a distinction somewhat.

Thanks, yeah that's a really huge distinction. Doesn't change the absurdity of the response, but yeah you're 100% right.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Were the strikes not directed at the C&C centers of the attack or at least the point of origin?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

Were the strikes not directed at the C&C centers of the attack or at least the point of origin?

Yes and Saddam was building weapons of mass destruction

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Most US bases in Iraq can track where incoming ordinance is originated from, even small mortars / rockets.

But unless they caught the guys who did it I’m not sure how they’d know who ordered and planned it. Doubt they will ever reveal any of that if they did.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GoluboiOgon posted:

this is a supervillian speech. you richly deserve that red text.

He's right tho

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

That's not wrong, but also it's not the full picture.

Do you think Turkey did enough reforms to meet the EU acquis, especially on issues of human rights and individual freedoms? When would it have been a good time for Turkish membership, 1993? 1997?

Do you think the situation would be better now if Turkey was a member of the EU? Look at the poo poo going on in Romania, Poland and Hungary, and how much the EU struggles to get these governments not to completely violate fundamental aspects of the rule of law, then extrapolate it to Turkey.

Turkey's also not a small country. With a population around 80 millions and growing, it's above Germany (80 millions and shrinking). The balance of power inside the EU would be completely changed. Turkey cannot be absorbed easily like a small country such as Slovenia or Croatia can. Racism isn't the only reason for reluctance to get another big power in the club, especially one with a tradition of authoritarianism.

And despite that, there was progress. Turkey was integrated in the EU's customs union (a fact that is not unrelated to Turkey's PPP GDP increase, if you look into it) and Turkey receives access to "pre-accession support funds". Erdogan then decided that EU membership should be automatically granted after a certain time, putting a deadline in 2013, and after that started rolling back on human rights and rule of law things instead of making further efforts to comply with EU acquis.

While a lot of this is right, it weirds me out that you got Germany's population so wrong. It's at 83 million right now and still rising, not shrinking.

In fact, the last time we had below 80 million people was between 1990-1995. And this is poo poo I pulled from Wikipedia in ten seconds, maybe next time try to confirm facts before accidentally posting your dreams instead

Edit:

What slays me however is that your argument would have worked better if you had pointed out that Turkey's population is growing at a rate about 4x times higher than Germany's, instead of that weird counter-factual shrinking bit.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 1, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Libluini posted:

While a lot of this is right, it weirds me out that you got Germany's population so wrong. It's at 83 million right now and still rising, not shrinking.

In fact, the last time we had below 80 million people was between 1990-1995. And this is poo poo I pulled from Wikipedia in ten seconds, maybe next time try to confirm facts before accidentally posting your dreams instead

Edit:

What slays me however is that your argument would have worked better if you had pointed out that Turkey's population is growing at a rate about 4x times higher than Germany's, instead of that weird counter-factual shrinking bit.

Looking at the charts on wiki shows Germany's population falling each year starting in 2003 until 2014. I assume the reversal is from accepting so many refugees. Didn't Germany accept 1mil+? at the height of migrant crisis?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Didn't Germany accept 1mil+? at the height of migrant crisis?

Something like that, yeah. In 2015/16 is when the numbers were highest. Doing some quick looking its not at all clear to me what the numbers actually were/are.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Imagine thinking that attack helicopters are "the right to self-defense" over a half-evacuated embassy. Got that empire disease all up in that brain.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine thinking that attack helicopters are "the right to self-defense" over a half-evacuated embassy. Got that empire disease all up in that brain.

Worked for Crazyhorse 1/8 and 1/9

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

Looking at the charts on wiki shows Germany's population falling each year starting in 2003 until 2014. I assume the reversal is from accepting so many refugees. Didn't Germany accept 1mil+? at the height of migrant crisis?

Which charts are you looking at? I'm also looking at stuff on Wikipedia and Germany's population isn't falling, it's still rising.

Edit:

Turns out the refugee wave saved Germany, see below

What isn't rising is the number of registered German citizens, probably because of the number of deaths steadily being above the number of natural births.

But the number of registered citizens going down while the population of non-citizens rises doesn't mean the population of the country is going down. That would mean a registered citizen dying would somehow delete a couple non-citizens by some kind of ontological failure, which is silly.

And the tables on both German and English pages for German population show a slow but steady rise, so I'm guessing you're not looking at those but somewhere else instead:

Demographics of Germany, German
Demographics of Germany, English

This data is from a Federal government agency, what data are you looking at, exactly?

Edit:

I've looked at the tables a bit more closely, and it turns out that there was indeed a population shrinkage in between 2003 and 2012. I somehow missed that, because I only looked at the years before and then jumped to the last five years to see if the trend still continued upwards. Sorry! That's all my bad. I leave this post mostly unedited as monument to my stupidity.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Why do you keep conflating the Taliban and Mujaheddin, Yeowch? It's starting to get weird and vaguely racist.

Yeah the Taliban didn’t gently caress kids so it’s unfair to lump them together. The Mujaheddin were incredible pieces of poo poo and massively incompetent. It took them 3 years to topple the DRA (who, in hindsight, were the least bad out of the alternatives).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Neocon and Liberal Hawks going to bat for Hardline Reactionary Sunni Islamists every time is one of the strangest things about US foreign policy.

I’d never thought I’d see attempts to have Al-Qaeda rehabilitated but that’s what Liberals have been trying to do since at least 2016.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. And, importantly, the historical context here is a strong empire making Europe poo poo its breeches for centuries. Despite the fact that the Ottomans never managed to invade Western Europe, Europeans collectively still haven't gotten over having felt inferior for so long. It's the primary driver of their racist, xenophobic sentiments, and why they are so happy to be "returning the favor" today.

My Balkan ancestors lived under the Ottoman yoke. For much of its later history it was an rear end backwards dysfunctional state and it’s European possessions were the poorest and most underdeveloped parts of the continent. I’m sure the French and Germans were massively jealous of the horrible, rear end backwards conditions and crushing poverty of rural Macedonia. Lmao. Get a grip.

The Ottoman period is not looked on fondly in the Balkans generally. They left but the dysfunction and mismanagement stayed behind - the effects of it are still be felt. The Ottoman’s ex-European possessions are very corrupt and still some of the most underdeveloped in Europe.

Also the Ottomans got their poo poo wrecked repeatedly by other empires and states.

Frond fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 2, 2020

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

The US is now sending 750 more troops immediately, which they can up to 3k if needed, over this. Because this is clearly what the situation requires and definitely won't exacerbate existing tensions.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe.
Having your most expensive and well fortified embassy in the world overrun is probably a risk no one in Washington is going to take.

Looks like the current PM will introduce a bill to permanently remove US forces, which seems to have removed the current threats to the embassy.

Curious to who has anything to gain from launching attacks against US positions in Iraq. Is it just these militias trying to gain clout / legitimacy by poking the bear?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

opcw are looking shadier by the day wtf were they thinking

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
They weren't thinking anything, it's just another chessboard for power politics. With different rules, but that is all.

You know how the research arm of the IMF keeps concluding that IMF structural adjustment programs are turbobullshit, but the political arm keeps imposing them? That's the second rule of intl. organizations.

Edit: there is nothing more political than saying that something is apolitical.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 2, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frond posted:

My Balkan ancestors lived under the Ottoman yoke. For much of its later history it was an rear end backwards dysfunctional state and it’s European possessions were the poorest and most underdeveloped parts of the continent. I’m sure the French and Germans were massively jealous of the horrible, rear end backwards conditions and crushing poverty of rural Macedonia. Lmao. Get a grip.

The Ottoman period is not looked on fondly in the Balkans generally. They left but the dysfunction and mismanagement stayed behind - the effects of it are still be felt. The Ottoman’s ex-European possessions are very corrupt and still some of the most underdeveloped in Europe.

Also the Ottomans got their poo poo wrecked repeatedly by other empires and states.

towards the end sure, but like the fifteenth to seventeenth-century ottoman empire was a legitimate superpower which regularly stood toe to toe with all of christendom. not sure to what extent that shapes policy today though, but it's also important to note that no great power politics types have ever seen the material wellbeing of humans as the goal of their empire

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Speaking of Ottoman ambitions

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1212710157479796736

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dawncloack posted:

Edit: there is nothing more political than saying that something is apolitical.

Thish remindsh me of a shtory about Danishsh physhishist Niels Bohr...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Breaking news, the Turkish parliament has approved Erdogans request for military intervention in Libya.

I don’t trust erdogan, but I really want to see the fascists and their Russian mercenaries eat poo poo and get destroyed so we’ll see what happens.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Both sides in Libya suck, I have zero sympathy for the GNA who are the usual lot of incompetent Salafi shitlords. I hope Haftar and the Takfir brigade or whatever the GNA is destroy each other so something positive emerges from it.

I guess you missed the part where Turkey sent their own mercenaries from Syria (“Syrian National Army” my rear end) into Libya, eh Al-Sucker? I suppose it doesn’t count though when said mercenaries are a bunch of murderous sectarian thugs with ties to Al-Qaeda, as opposed to Wagner drug addicts.

Erdogan’s aim for a caliphate in Syria failed, so now his FSA puppets will try again in Libya. Poor Libyans.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Frond posted:

Both sides in Libya suck,

a lovely coalition of people who arent fascists are better than lovely fascists. Be mad that your fascist general wont win this round in Libya , it's bad enough Syria is back in hell.

If Fascists can import Russians to fight their battles, then I dont care what people who dont believe in utter fascism does to defeat them. It's really funny how you pretend about sectarianism when you support the literal sectarian nazi regime of assad and how he imported Iranians and lebanese and Iraqi screeching maniacs to kill his own people for him. anyways, it doesnt matter, talking to you doesnt matter.

I know that western fascists like you dont care what happens to people like me when fascism wins, I know that you think arabs are all terrorists and takfiris and alqaeda or whatever else no matter what I say or do. so honestly trying to talk to you about what the intricacies of the situation is, how the fascists caused the situation, how they kill and destroy society for the sake of foreign powers, it doesnt matter. talking is over. the GNA is the elected representative body, recognized by the UN, against a rebel general who wants to instill a Sisi style military regime that serves the UAE and Egypts Fascists, so as far as I'm concerned they should be supported against this fascist menace and for Libya to return to the political process that was undermined by Haftar.

I'm done. I'll cheer for whoever and whatever destroys the arab fascist axis, if it's the lovely turks who can turn back the fascists in Abu Dhabi and Cairo's palaces, then so be it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Erdogan invokes the whole "Ottoman Empire" thing in order to gain popular support for his military excursions.

The real reason Turkey is interested in Libya is that it doesn't want to be frozen out of the hydrocarbon exploration game in the Mediterranean. Someone posted a map a few pages back:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Frond posted:

eh Al-Sucker?

:downsrim:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cant wait for the 60 mins documentsry on erdogans " Turkey rising" after the bylgarian annexation in 2024

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Al-Saqr posted:

a lovely coalition of people who arent fascists are better than lovely fascists. Die mad that your fascist general wont win this round in Libya , it's bad enough Syria is back in hell.

If Fascists can import Russians to fight their battles, then I dont care what people who dont believe in utter fascism does to defeat them. It's really funny how you pretend about sectarianism when you support the literal sectarian nazi regime of assad and how he imported Iranians and lebanese and Iraqi screeching maniacs to kill his own people for him. anyways, it doesnt matter, talking to you doesnt matter.

I know that western fascists like you dont care what happens to people like me when fascism wins, I know that you think arabs are all terrorists and takfiris and alqaeda or whatever else no matter what I say or do. so honestly trying to talk to you about what the intricacies of the situation is, how the fascists caused the situation, how they kill and destroy society for the sake of foreign powers, it doesnt matter. talking is over. the GNA is the elected representative body, recognized by the UN, against a rebel general who wants to instill a Sisi style military regime that serves the UAE and Egypts Fascists, so as far as I'm concerned they should be supported against this fascist menace and for Libya to return to the political process that was undermined by Haftar.

I'm done. I'll cheer for whoever and whatever destroys the arab fascist axis, if it's the lovely turks who can turn back the animals in Abu Dhabi and Cairo's palaces, then so be it.

You cannot go around telling other posters to die. This has been a repeated issue with your posting and while I understand that you have a local perspective that informs your feelings the rule against wishing harm on other posters is enforced zero tolerance and you need to start respecting it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trying and failing like that should cost money.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Helsing posted:

You cannot go around telling other posters to die. This has been a repeated issue with your posting and while I understand that you have a local perspective that informs your feelings the rule against wishing harm on other posters is enforced zero tolerance and you need to start respecting it.

ok I removed it, but it wasnt me wishing death on him it's an expression meaning "go kick rocks".

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The GNA is not an elected government by any means.

the only reasonable response to libya from the rest of the world is enforcing the arms embargo. Instead the world stands by idly as the Gulf and Turks funnel guns and drones into another pointless meat grinder.

Frond, you'd be much more sympathetic if you weren't now wishing unending war and misery on the Libyan people. You seem to spend a lot more energy wishing for death than you do wishing for peace. It hardly matters who wins now, the only thing that matters is that the war ends.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Helsing posted:

It’s a forum man. They are just jokes. I don’t think he should have ate a probation. He’s an Islamist sympathizer so obviously he’s gonna back whoever supports his side.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Squalid posted:

The GNA is not an elected government by any means.

the only reasonable response to libya from the rest of the world is enforcing the arms embargo. Instead the world stands by idly as the Gulf and Turks funnel guns and drones into another pointless meat grinder.

Frond, you'd be much more sympathetic if you weren't now wishing unending war and misery on the Libyan people. You seem to spend a lot more energy wishing for death than you do wishing for peace. It hardly matters who wins now, the only thing that matters is that the war ends.

For whatever it’s worth the GNA is recognized by the UN as the legitimate government.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If anybody has democratic legitimacy in Libya it's the house of Representatives that's under Haftar's thumb. Not that it really matters much. International recognition is about the only thing the Tripoli government, if we can even call that motley collection of criminal syndicates a government.

I hope al Saqr comes back but wishing death on others, both in this thread and anywhere else, is the one thing that should be banned from this thread. That goes for you too Frond. You're just as bad as al Saqr. More Libyans dying in Haftar's pointless war, whether authoritarian fascists or salafists, isn't going to help anyone. It's just more fruitless waste. You should trying wishing for peace rather than more death and misery.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/1212875885520379905

i am gonna assume this is an insanely stupid escalation that trump/US just did.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/YousifHashimi/status/1212872779265171456

https://twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/1212876494638206976

https://twitter.com/Intel_Sky/status/1212876295928975362

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so what the gently caress happens now. can someone explain to me the political situation. i know PMU is basically the new republican guard and represents the interests of the Shia majority in iraq. i know parts of the goverment is in bed with iran and we have been at quiet war with iran in iraq for a while and now they basicaly won.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what the gently caress happens now. .

now we wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:cripes: One hell of a way to deescalate the situation