Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

thatguy posted:

Clearly the answer is bullies shouldn't feel remorse for any poo poo they did as kids and just lean in as an adult because anything else is pathetic weakness

I mean yeah obviously. People with remorse don't get far in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
r/relationships: She called me a corporate boot locker

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my sister she deserved to get fired because she spent all her time at work on Instagram?

Yes, you are but your sister did deserve it.

btw mods please rename me to corporate boot locker tia

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 2, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my sister she deserved to get fired because she spent all her time at work on Instagram?
Long story short, I supposedly ruined the New Years party my mom was crying. Now I’m seen as the big rear end in a top hat in all of this. I was trying to help her out so she would be more productive and not get let go from her job. But instead I am seen as the rear end in a top hat.
Wait, did they have this argument at a New Year's party? Definitely YTA; that's not even remotely the right venue to "well, actually" correct her about her firing.

Just roll your eyes when she bitches about it, then talk in private about it later...which also has the benefit of being far more likely to actually get through compared to putting her on the defensive with a public call-out.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
WIBTA if I refuse to let a person fully join our coven.

quote:

We've had a problem in our coven. We started of with only a few people but have been growing rapidly we now have ~12 dedicants and full-member as well as 6 new seekers. It's an entirely closed door, totally secret coven and no one has spilled anything, they take an oath not to. However, we've had a problem with some of the seekers.

One doesn't want to participate in any of the physical training the coven does. We often go on runs and hikes, as well as have martial arts training for full members and also have regular physical fitness tests (jogging ~1km). I've talked to her and she doesn't have any disabilities or medical issues stopping her (we have a couple of members that do and we make appropriate leeway for them). We got down to it and basically she said she doesn't want to have to exercise. She is obese, and is convinced we are trying to shame her for it (we're really not), we don't want to force anyone to do things they don't want however, a few days ago we went to a park and she had a fit when she got out of breath and refused to carry on. We've kinda decided that we should probably refuse to allow her entry to the coven at the moment. I feel bad though, because this will be the first person we turn down. Are we being assholes.

Please don't make unneeded comments about our religion.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
im slightly confused why exercise is an integral part of witchcraft but that person's attitude alone seems toxic enough to keep them out

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
drat I wanna go to witch bootcamp

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

razorrozar posted:

im slightly confused why exercise is an integral part of witchcraft
Probably dayhikes to commune with nature, get in touch with earthvibes and find the perfect leyline site for an all-day ritual of Lunamens.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If your religion doesn't have physical exercise you are doomed to the anals of history

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Licarn posted:

not turning people down from your "secret" club is how fight club happens

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When you're dancing naked you don't want some uggo joining in.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's it my new years resolution is to start a coven of weightlifting warlocks. Accepting chaos mages, witches, witchers and sorcerers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Licarn posted:

Aside from the fact that this is going to devolve into a cult and implode a few days after opening the "sex magick" chapter in their ancient 1990s guidebooks, I'm actually on witch lady's side here.

You have standards for your club and someone didn't meet them. Yeah you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. You've also got a literal waiting list of people to get in. Enjoy being one of the popular kids for a little while. If your applicant had a better attitude you could probably bend the rules and give them more time to acclimate, but instead of starting the Rocky training montage they're whining about fitness standards lower than what most public school kids have to do daily. That's not energy you want to bring in.

razorrozar posted:

im slightly confused why exercise is an integral part of witchcraft but that person's attitude alone seems toxic enough to keep them out

It's pretty obviously just a ladies group where they're encouraging general health, self-defense, good lifestyle practices etc. as an outgrowth of natural interest in the same New Age accoutrements that a lot of people gravitate toward when they don't fit into Christianity but aren't broken enough to subscribe to hardline atheism. Honestly it's :krad: af and I support it in all forms.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's it my new years resolution is to start a coven of weightlifting warlocks. Accepting chaos mages, witches, witchers and sorcerers.

Crossfit is already a thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Oh of course, but when that happens you don't run to the internet to post about the sick :iceburn: you laid down on your former tormentor. People who are "over it" don't usually do that, speaking from firsthand experience there.

there are different ways of being "over it;" by most people's measure, being "over it" means that the person no longer has a negative effect on your life.

one way to be over it is to turn into a beatific christ figure and grant selfless forgiveness, which is what the tormentor would prefer
another is to tell them to cram it up their rear end, perform a rude gesture, and later celebrate your victory with your friends; this is a positive effect for you
another is to genuinely forget about it and just stare blankly when the tormentor brings it up.

none is "better" than another. you can be completely over someone and still think yep, they're a piece of poo poo, and i will never have any interest in talking to them again, and that's fine.

(the woman in the story i would say is not over it yet because she says it still comes up in therapy)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

It's pretty obviously just a ladies group where they're encouraging general health, self-defense, good lifestyle practices etc. as an outgrowth of natural interest in the same New Age accoutrements that a lot of people gravitate toward when they don't fit into Christianity but aren't broken enough to subscribe to hardline atheism. Honestly it's :krad: af and I support it in all forms.

i have nothing against any kind of paganism! whatever anyone chooses to believe, and however they choose to practice it, are perfectly valid and fine as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and they don't try to force it on anyone. i just didn't see the connection.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTAH if I told my manager that my coworker who is supposed to be out for a funeral is at the Cotton Bowl?

Currently, in my city's market, we only have two employees. In the last two months, my coworker's performance has dipped. Which has resulted in me working both my stores and also fixing what's is behind at his. It's bothered me, yes, but I let it go because I figured he might be having trouble at home again.

So my coworker decided to take Dec 25th - Jan 2nd off. No big deal the dude never takes vacations and he gave plenty of notice for us to find someone to fill in and make hotel reservations for that temp. I've worked out a plan and we have all his stores covered.

Dec 19th he cancels his PTO all except for the 26th. So then my manager cancels the hotel reservation because my coworker will be here instead. On the morning of the 27th I txt him double-checking he’ll be at work that day. I didn't get a response until I showed up at his store. I saw him sitting in his car and then I got a text from him saying ”My grandfather died yesterday and I'm going to be gone till the 2nd.”. So I go over and ask him if everythings okay. He responded with ”Yeah, I thought I'd be fine to work so I came in today. But I’m not and I don't know if I can cover your store in [other city 1hr away] I just think after I drive that far my head just won be in the right place to work.”

I usually service that store 3 times a week but my manager placed my coworker on this store Friday because he wanted me to have a break from driving.

So I ask if my coworker has told our manager yet and he said yes he just texted him. I told him he should probably call our manager because this would be an issue you should call about. He responded okay very reluctantly and I went to work. Next thing I know my manager is calling me upset that my coworker essentially screwed us this week. He explained that my coworker who has to drive through the city of my store offered to do that store. That and I quote ”I can do it if you really need me to. But with my family, I don't know when I'll be back. Maybe Monday or maybe the 2nd I'll let you know.” so my manager explained he just let my coworker go because it's been such a headache. Because not only did he suddenly want his PTO back at a short notice I also had to tell my manager that my coworker essentially left a lot of work for me. That it's looked like he hasn't been doing his job to the last two weeks.

Monday I asked my coworker if he will be in and the only response I get is ”I told Manager I’ll be back on the 2nd.” so then I call my manager who is again blindsided by this. He said that Coworker was supposed to tell him and that he hasn't been able to get ahold of him all weekend.

I was on snap chat today and found that my coworker had posted up on his story that he is at the Cotton Bowl. Which is 4 hours away in the opposite direction of his grandfather's funeral. I texted him and asked how everything with his grandfather's funeral and he responded by deleting me off snap chat. So WIBTAH if I told my manager?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Licarn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RosIoQisA

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Inceltown posted:

Crossfit is already a thing.

Eh Rhabdo the clown hasn't got powerful enough mojo for this cult! Gotta have mystical sigils and dudes blowing their loads everywhere.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Colonel Cancer posted:

If your religion doesn't have physical exercise you are doomed to the anals of history

You’re probably getting anal in any religion but I think you meant annals.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Virigoth posted:

You’re probably getting anal in any religion but I think you meant annals.

Nah.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I didn’t replace my roommates liquor?

quote:

My roommate went out of town for the new year, so I had some friends over. We have a bar, so we ended up getting into a bottle of my roommates whiskey. It was a gift from his dad but I didn’t think anything of it. He drinks liquor that I buy all the time. This whiskey was really good so I looked up the bottle and it costs around $150. I feel bad that we almost finished it, but I don’t think I should replace it. My friends think I should replace it and they’re willing to throw in. We could afford to get him like a $50 bottle. He will be back on the 5th. I don’t think I should replace it at all because he drinks my liquor and beer all the time. It’s a shared bar and he didn’t keep it in his room.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Show me a religion with no anal and I'll show you an altar boy who can refute it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lucrece posted:

your piss beer isnt 150$ and im sure you drink his cheap poo poo to.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

therobit posted:

Show me a religion with no anal and I'll show you an altar boy who can refute it.

We need the annals of religious anal.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

Is it the ch in 'loch' in the Scottish sense?

Not really. I'm not trying to be awkward, it really is just that it's got its own sound and it's hard to describe and I've probably done a bad job (we do also use the ch sound like the Scottish Loch, "ch" is also a letter in the Welsh alphabet).

This video is going through how to pronounce all the letters, and they get to "Ll" at about 3:30.

https://youtu.be/6r2AX5v55ds

As an English speaker you take one look at Welsh and you're like "what the gently caress?" because you're trying to see how you'd pronounce it in the English alphabet. If you learn the Welsh alphabet and look at it thinking like that, it's actually really phonetic. Each letter has its own sound and you just string the sounds together to form any word.

It's also structured differently, as nouns come before descriptors. So in English you would say you're starting at a new school, whereas in Welsh you'd say you were starting at "School, New", and a new red shirt would be "Shirt, red, new".

And that ends my lesson in Welsh.

Llywelyn is a bad rear end name in Welsh, the only king that ruled over the whole of Wales as a King was Llywelyn the Great. Brave choice outside of the UK if you have literally no family connection to Wales though. Dudes friends can get hosed, it's no different to calling your child Charles, or Henry, or Richard or George or Louis or any dozen of names. All are Kings names.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lucrece posted:

If I were on the jury, your roommate would have an amazing amount of leeway over a $150 bottle you knew his father had gifted him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lucrece posted:

I got some fancy whisky recently and opened it up last night. It's has a strong oak flavor. Very strong. Like licking a 2x4 strong.

The cheap stuff is better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zero One posted:

I got some fancy whisky recently and opened it up last night. It's has a strong oak flavor. Very strong. Like licking a 2x4 strong.

The cheap stuff is better.

Whisky comes in all kinds, you probably just got a kind that’s both expensive and not to your taste.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

Whisky comes in all kinds, you probably just got a kind that’s both expensive and not to your taste.

I had a bottle of Glenlivet that was dangerously smooth, like I didn’t realize how much of it I drank til I saw the bottle was half empty. Sometimes the good stuff is very worth it.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Lucrece posted:

My grandparents bought a bottle of some alcoholic beverage when I was born and gave it me on my 21st. I left it at my parents and they drunk it. They justified this because I don’t drink and I don’t really know my grandparents that well so it wasn’t sentimental. AITA

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the liquor story is why young having poo poo like a 'shared bar' while you also live with roomies in that college/post-college haze is a terrible loving idea

bc it's inevitable that eventually someone will plough through something assuming it should be 'all cool' based on the communal nature of it

like, it seems obvious that you don't just drink someone's expensive birthday booze, and while it's very likely it was only out on the bar as decoration until a special occasion, at the same time this was bound to happen in a shared bar. especially if it's a holiday gathering and the bottle looks cool or fancy. someone's gonna get a little tipsy, want to keep going and crack the nice booze that's out without thinking.

the truth is that the etiquette around such things as a 'shared bar' gets murky and can be highly dependent on context, but also poo poo like culture, or how your own family growing up handled splitting resources, etc. All too often, people assume that the rules of such shared resources are 'common sense' and thus won't clearly communicate boundaries or expectations, and this is where misunderstandings/fights can occur. It gets even more complex when you factor in that some people use this grey area to their advantage, to take more than their share and play dumb.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

Ice cold. She was an rear end in a top hat, but we can all aspire to be this goddamn brutal someday.

The bully gets to walk away thinking that her bullying must have not been that bad, since her victim doesn't even remember her. That seems like a pretty alright outcome even if it's not especially satisfying. I'd hardly call that brutal

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA: Girlfriend said we can't visit her hometown as she has slept with too many people there?

My girlfriend (25F) and I (25M) have been together for about 5 months, and a month or so into it we were talking about our home towns. We both come from Scotland but moved down to England (she moved when she was 4, I moved down when I was 22).

She spent the majority of her life in a "rough" coastal town in England, which I wasn't all that bothered about visiting, however when we were talking about it she said "I'll probably never take you there anyway because you'll bump into someone I've slept with". This comment made me feel very uncomfortable and slightly upset since we weren't on the subject of past partners/encounters and it just seemed like something you don't say. She couldn't comprehend why it bothered me and didn't show any sympathy or acknowledgement for my feelings. For reference the town she is referring to has a population of around 70,000 people.

She also spent New Year back in this town which also made me feel slightly uncomfortable due to the above.

AITA for being annoyed/uncomfortable/upset at this comment?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

QuarkJets posted:

The bully gets to walk away thinking that her bullying must have not been that bad, since her victim doesn't even remember her. That seems like a pretty alright outcome even if it's not especially satisfying. I'd hardly call that brutal

No, she either gaslit her bully into questioning if she can even recognize her victim, or else she transparently was avoiding dealing with her with obvious lies. In either case, the bully gets no closure.

Subtle, really, as revengecraft goes.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA: Girlfriend said we can't visit her hometown as she has slept with too many people there?

For reference the town she is referring to has a population of around 70,000 people.

lmao does he think she's slept with like 70,000 people?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the fact that this is going to devolve into a cult and implode a few days after opening the "sex magick" chapter in their ancient 1990s guidebooks, I'm actually on witch lady's side here.

You have standards for your club and someone didn't meet them. Yeah you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. You've also got a literal waiting list of people to get in. Enjoy being one of the popular kids for a little while. If your applicant had a better attitude you could probably bend the rules and give them more time to acclimate, but instead of starting the Rocky training montage they're whining about fitness standards lower than what most public school kids have to do daily. That's not energy you want to bring in.

Imagine living in a world where Atheism makes you broken but thinking you’re a witch is rad and cool

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

No, she either gaslit her bully into questioning if she can even recognize her victim, or else she transparently was avoiding dealing with her with obvious lies. In either case, the bully gets no closure.

ps, the bully interaction doesn't exist and nobody actually plays danny larusso but if it makes that broken woman feel better by posting fanfic about it on reddit then I'm all for it

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LimburgLimbo posted:

Imagine living in a world where Atheism makes you broken but thinking you’re a witch is rad and cool

have you ever tried not shaming people because they believe things you don't that have no effect on you whatsoever

im an atheist too and, for the record, im pretty loving broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Really, though? Why do those have to be the only outcomes?