Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

DalaranJ posted:

I wonder if there's a horrifyingly stupid option during the tribunal now that you've done this.

Having a breakdown and declaring that it was YOU who shot Lely is pretty loving stupid.

I wonder if that's an option unique to SorryCop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Okay it's pretty cool that if your perception and hand-eye coordination are high enough, not only can you figure out that the guy was actually shot to death, but also the make of the gun based on the cartridge. I'm only on day 2, and on my first playthrough I completely missed the bullet on the autopsy.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
This game makes being a genius so satisfying. My guy just made an observation on the chemical odors coming off a toothbrush, and what they imply about the person using it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

THIS loving GAME

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I received this game as a Christmas gift. Honestly thought I was going to bounce off it. I've bounced off of a lot of isometric text-heavy RPGs over the years--even though I loved Baldur's Gate and Fallout growing up.

By the end of day 1, I was 90% sure I was never going to boot up the game again. I seemed to be failing at every check and the investigation was stymied from every single possible angle. At this point, I was convinced this game was just going to be a sort of comedic set of things going wrong for the amnesiac protagonist. By the end of the day, I felt like I had seen everything there was to see thematically and was ready to call it quits.

Wow was I wrong!

I decided to see if day 2 would go any better and it did! I feel like I actually made huge progress in the investigation. I got the body down (I don't think that's a spoiler), I got people to actually give me info, etc. The story also got really good too. I'm seeing why everyone is raving about this now.

Also it helped that I discovered that you can double click to run, hold tab to see things you can interact with, and talk to people who are up on things like balconies and ledges. Jeeze I wish the game had held my hand just a bit more to tell me those things.

One question I have that has been throwing me off: which way is North on an isometric map? Is it at a diagonal or is straight up? It's honestly thrown me off twice now when someone gave me directions and I got lost because I don't understand how cardinal directions work from an isometric angle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Okay it's pretty cool that if your perception and hand-eye coordination are high enough, not only can you figure out that the guy was actually shot to death, but also the make of the gun based on the cartridge. I'm only on day 2, and on my first playthrough I completely missed the bullet on the autopsy.

How does the game play out if you never find the bullet? I thought that was how you figured out the guy was shot instead of hung.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Phenotype posted:

How does the game play out if you never find the bullet? I thought that was how you figured out the guy was shot instead of hung.

I think you can pump the hardy boys for circumstantial evidence in this regard. At any rate, the cause of death would be revealed at the end of the game in any case, I imagine

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I also missed it and at the same time you're interviewing Klaasje/noticing the ballistic evidence around her window, you get one of those little "meanwhile" chunks of text, about whoever's doing the proper autopsy back at HQ, and they say something like "ah, no wonder they missed it." Which... I guess would be possible, if the entry wound was then covered up by the tightened strap, and there was no exit wound?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

freebooter posted:

I also missed it and at the same time you're interviewing Klaasje/noticing the ballistic evidence around her window, you get one of those little "meanwhile" chunks of text, about whoever's doing the proper autopsy back at HQ, and they say something like "ah, no wonder they missed it." Which... I guess would be possible, if the entry wound was then covered up by the tightened strap, and there was no exit wound?

We can safely say there is no exit wound, on account of the bullet never exiting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phenotype posted:

It comes out when you're dealing with the Hardie Boys and Klaasje. I never found the bullet in my first playthrough, and Kim just says you must've missed it. You also get an esprit de corps vision of the coroner back at the station finding the bullet during the proper autopsy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mr. Lobe posted:

We can safely say there is no exit wound, on account of the bullet never exiting.

I got some dialogue indicating that there was a very small wound at the base of the skull, hidden by the strap that was caused by the bullet

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Is it weird that during the final dream with Dolores Dei/ex-something, I found myself thinking "Wow, Harry's ex seems like a real shallow rear end in a top hat and he deserves someone better"?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It is Harry's dream...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, as far as that one goes, well. Harry has a maddona-whore complex for her in the most literal of ways as far as the first part goes. His views on her are not to be trusted in any way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the bit where Inland Empire (I think) notes that Kim's notebook is his version of inner dialogue.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly I think Harry just is a very emotional person, and his ex was more of a grounded type, and in the end he ended up just being too much for her. They just didn't fit together.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Rosalind posted:

I received this game as a Christmas gift. Honestly thought I was going to bounce off it. I've bounced off of a lot of isometric text-heavy RPGs over the years--even though I loved Baldur's Gate and Fallout growing up.

By the end of day 1, I was 90% sure I was never going to boot up the game again. I seemed to be failing at every check and the investigation was stymied from every single possible angle. At this point, I was convinced this game was just going to be a sort of comedic set of things going wrong for the amnesiac protagonist. By the end of the day, I felt like I had seen everything there was to see thematically and was ready to call it quits.

Wow was I wrong!

I decided to see if day 2 would go any better and it did! I feel like I actually made huge progress in the investigation. I got the body down (I don't think that's a spoiler), I got people to actually give me info, etc. The story also got really good too. I'm seeing why everyone is raving about this now.

Also it helped that I discovered that you can double click to run, hold tab to see things you can interact with, and talk to people who are up on things like balconies and ledges. Jeeze I wish the game had held my hand just a bit more to tell me those things.

One question I have that has been throwing me off: which way is North on an isometric map? Is it at a diagonal or is straight up? It's honestly thrown me off twice now when someone gave me directions and I got lost because I don't understand how cardinal directions work from an isometric angle.

Not trying to be a dick but the game tells you to hold tab to highlight items in the very first room.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

So you could figure out how to use Cheat Engine or go into the files and modify them yourself.

OR you could just download this guy's experimental save and use it, like I did.

Thanks for that - bonus question, is there any way to edit the save so that Harry's portrait is the mucky "never looked in a mirror" one?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Not trying to be a dick.

:thunk:
Then why are you making this face

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The game needs a subtitle and the subtitle needs to be "hit F1."

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Begemot posted:

It comes out when you're dealing with the Hardie Boys and Klaasje. I never found the bullet in my first playthrough, and Kim just says you must've missed it. You also get an esprit de corps vision of the coroner back at the station finding the bullet during the proper autopsy.

Yeah this is how it played out for me.

Talking to Ruby clues you in that the hanging story is total bullshit as well.

I couldn't talk Garte into lowering the damages this time so I savescummed with Joyce. Kim was so relieved I wasn't going to make him pawn his hubcaps. :unsmith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well! I finished Disco Elysium.

Truly a phenomenal game. This would easily be my GOTY 2019, if it weren't for Baba Is You (yes, seriously). It's hilarious, novel, and genuinely devastating when it wants to be.
I went through the game with a focus on Inland Empire/Perception/Conceptualization, with a dash of Encyclopedia and, later, Shivers. I was a communist art cop constantly shaking with rage at how poo poo everything is, and ALSO a cop of the apocalypse. I didn't get around to do everything - in particular, there was a Suggestion check with Lilienne and a Shivers check with Klaasje I never managed (stupid rain...) -, but I DID complete the dance-off at the church...
Favorite skill is... hard to pin down. Shivers is definitely up there, especially thanks to the end of the church quests. Suggestion is cool, especially when it starts admitting that all its advice is terrible, why are you even listening. Physical Instrument is my friend, because it wants me to do my best, even if I'm frail and puny. But Inland Empire is probably the best. It has that perfect synergy with Conceptualization, with both skills egging each other on constantly. It constantly foreshadowed cool stuff. It led me to a cockatoo book. And it gave me an absolutely incredible encounter at the very end of the game. (You know the one.) But...

...I NEVER GOT THE TALKING NECKTIE.

I don't know why. I had well above 10 Inland Empire towards the end, but the necktie never said anything. That was one of the few things I read about this game before. It just never talked. But that's probably because I had too little Inland Empire at the game start; I started a new game with 5 Inland Empire right away, and the tie started talking right away. Too bad.

The only real flaws I see is the lack of fast travel, and some of the user interface. It's not a big map, but it got extremely annoying fast to reach Evrart, or scuttle back and forth between church and anything on the west side, constantly double-clicking. There were also some rather weird pathing issues.

I'm gonna give this another go. I think it's time to let Motorics shine.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I started playing yesterday afternoon and I couldn't put it down until after 1am. I got through day 1 and didn't savescum for any of my (often hilarious) failed rolls. Game is Good, folks

I just wish I had a bit more info/guidance on Inner Thoughts. Which ones lead somewhere interesting, which are worthwhile, if I should be spending points on unlocking more slots, etc. Especially communism. I finished processing the Thought and the world is at 0.000% Communism and I have no clue if this will suddenly unlock/upgrade, or if it's pointless to keep in my head. The Inner Thought process is (intentionally?) very vague. Same thing for Coptypes. Sorrycop? Artcop? Do these completely change my character in an irreversible way?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 2, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
im pretty sure that by inventing a new genre and turning egg head into a communist, i've saved the future.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FrickenMoron posted:

Not trying to be a dick but the game tells you to hold tab to highlight items in the very first room.

Oh. To be fair, it was the holidays so I might have been a bit out of it when I first started the game. I figure it was true to the protagonist for me to be a bit strung out as I was starting the game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

I started playing yesterday afternoon and I couldn't put it down until after 1am. I got through day 1 and didn't savescum for any of my (often hilarious) failed rolls. Game is Good, folks

I just wish I had a bit more info/guidance on Inner Thoughts. Which ones lead somewhere interesting, which are worthwhile, if I should be spending points on unlocking more slots, etc. Especially communism. I finished processing the Thought and the world is at 0.000% Communism and I have no clue if this will suddenly unlock/upgrade, or if it's pointless to keep in my head. The Inner Thought process is (intentionally?) very vague. Same thing for Coptypes. Sorrycop? Artcop? Do these completely change my character in an irreversible way?

You can always spend a point to drop a thought, but generally speaking unless you find the bonuses/downsides to be too out of character or extreme it's best to use that point to just open up a new slot for a new thought.

It serves as a sort of ideological skeleton that you flesh out as you build your character more and more, think of it like "I've given race science some thought and now I understand it more" with the learning text being questioning and vague and the final text being more definitive and clear (because you've thought about it for awhile).

The copotype is mostly just a fun way to more clearly define your character, you can mix and match and no none of them lock you into anything. I ended up as Sorry Hobocop of the Apocalypse

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Although from the sounds of it, the different cop-o-types add dialogue choices? I got prompted for just about all of them (the little dialogue where your skills tell you about this new thought they've come up with) but I never internalized any of them because I was just looking at them mechanically. :(

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

FistEnergy posted:

Same thing for Coptypes. Sorrycop? Artcop? Do these completely change my character in an irreversible way?

You can (mild gameplay spoiler) adopt multiple copotypes and forget them like any other thought

For what it's worth, making a horribly imbalanced detective with wildly inconsistent beliefs is absolutely part of the fun

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Truly a phenomenal game. This would easily be my GOTY 2019, if it weren't for Baba Is You (yes, seriously).

Baba is You, really? I just started playing it last night and it's a fun little game, but it's such a LITTLE game. It's really well done, but it's like they aimed to build a really nice little office building and did a very good job of it, whereas most of the typical GOTY candidates (Disco included) are building skyscrapers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I can understand it. If you're into puzzle games in a big way, Baba Is You is basically pure, distilled "puzzle solving game" with all the fat cut. It's just a puzzler where the whole world is the puzzle and despite being able to literally change the entire board in hilarious and creative ways it still manages to be so frustrating at times that you literally want to die

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Baba

Is

Helping me find my gun

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phenotype posted:

Baba is You, really? I just started playing it last night and it's a fun little game, but it's such a LITTLE game. It's really well done, but it's like they aimed to build a really nice little office building and did a very good job of it, whereas most of the typical GOTY candidates (Disco included) are building skyscrapers.

Baba is You is like a little office building that is larger than a skyscraper on the inside. It has a ton of content AND does some truly incredible things with its relatively simple mechanics. The beginning of that game gives you no indication of just how far it takes things.

There's a reason it shows up on so many goty lists.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Baba Is You is the sort of game where someone who doesn't know anything about puzzle games might actually have a better chance at solving it. It fucks with your expectations that well.

I prefer DE, but I think both really are breakthrough titles in their respective genres, and which you prefer speaks more to taste than quality.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I started my second game as cop of the apocalypse.
Having coach physical instrument pipe in with terrible advice all the time is amazing. Especially the conversation with the balcony guy.

Also, I remembered that Kim brings up your crazy running at the evening meeting. So I decided to only walk on the first day. I am half way through and I regret everything. This game can be quite slow and dragging on, especially on a second play-through.
Walk walk walk, click through long exposition that you mostly remember in the hopes that some new stat will chime in or that it unlocks something somewere, walk walk walk, repeat.

That is also part of why I don't consider Disco to be a clear GOTY winner. More of a triple tie with Baba and Sekiro.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phenotype posted:

Baba is You is much bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.
In that way, and basically no other way, it is quite like Disco Elysium.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DalaranJ posted:

Baba is You is much bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside.
In that way, and basically no other way, it is quite like Disco Elysium.

Nonsense, it is also like Disco Elysium in that it is Good

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, I think I'm gonna work on some other games in my backlog and then come back for another playthrough on this one.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Not really seeing the need for a comparison between the two here? Baba Is You is an example of an incredibly rare goon project in that it was actually successful and Disco Elysium is the product of a small group of Estonian Marxists living in squats.

They're both underdogs that have done well. Enjoy and celebrate them both.

I'd say "love them both" but love will do you in.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Physical Instrument keeps egging me on to call Kim a binoclard. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
he will always be "kimball" to me