Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

I mod gbs. If it’s bad I gas and probe maybe. Fyad is just a group doing whatever they do, now within the rules. Idgaf you shouldn’t either. Unless it’s outside lowtax rules.

IDGAF either, I guess it's more that I am asking how any form of communication, is even possible there. How does anyone even know what they are responding to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's deliberately made to be as opaque, unreadable and unpleasant as possible so the only people who read it are the ones who really really want to.

Shouldn't be surprising it's become insufferable and impossible to moderate as a result.

If you try reading it for more than 10 minutes it's actually pretty funny. Teen FYAD was a thing for a while, so children are able to understand it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have tried reading FYAD quite a few times and have always come away with a headache and a weird feeling of confusion :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MrMojok posted:

IDGAF either, I guess it's more that I am asking how any form of communication, is even possible there. How does anyone even know what they are responding to

Look buddy, I run the schaden and osha threads. That poo poo is out of my pay grade,

E you didn’t come to my nye party rear end in a top hat

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
everyone keeps saying that all the good fyad posters went to Twitter so i would like to ask whether Ruddha has a Twitter

i miss Ruddha :(

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The best description I heard is that everyone's nice to each other, but ironically. Which has produced one of the few positive examples of the terminal irony poisoning that's swept the internet in the last decade.

we are no longer ironic, we're just tryin to be plain ol nice.

I encourage anyone who could use a dose of nice to stop by our hello welcome chat thread, and post :)

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

razorrozar posted:

everyone keeps saying that all the good fyad posters went to Twitter so i would like to ask whether Ruddha has a Twitter

i miss Ruddha :(

I heard wint(dril) is posting in fyad again.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ToxicFrog posted:

Found by googling [site:forums.somethingawful.com razer party]: HOLD ON TO YOUR loving BALLS IT'S A NEW THING FROM RAZER in the Goldmine.

:stare:

What the gently caress

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual posted:

Look buddy, I run the schaden and osha threads. That poo poo is out of my pay grade,

E you didn’t come to my nye party rear end in a top hat

the only reason I don't hate you is because you have to mod those threads and I figure that balances out whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ariong posted:

Reminds me of how during the early days of Pokemon Sun and Moon you couldn’t trade away a Cofagrigus without renaming it to something else, because f*g was in the no-no list and they forgot to make an exception.

Which is funny because it also happened back in Gen 4 with Nosepass.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mind the walrus posted:

GBS 1.0 existed largely in a pre-reddit/tumblr/facebook/twitter space where heavy moderation was necessary. There was a much bigger general userbase and general rhythm and flow where emptyquotes, derails, spam posting, and all that were legitimate concerns. GBS 2.0 was a response to management recognizing 5 years too late that the times had indeed a-changed and if they wanted to keep users they couldn't keep punishing shitposts and white noise. It was necessary, although like most things SA went about it in a bizarrely melodramatic way.

I think people really forget how much heavier traffic was in the forum's peaks. There was a time where something like adhering to grammar and punctuation restrictions was an attractive enough feature to make people pay ten dollars for the luxury of having it enforced. That probably seems bizarre to anyone under perhaps 23, but pre-social media internet was often very difficult to read - autocorrect was not a thing, and the internet skewed much younger than it does now. Nowadays typing like an idiot is an affectation, shitposting. Another thing I believe SA is primarily responsible for originating, and Twitter is for disseminating it.

It's the difference between a dril tweet and one from Cher.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1205799004086292480?s=20

https://twitter.com/cher/status/1208548640383332352?s=20

The insincerity is read into the dril tweet. A Cher tweet may read with many of the same punctuation errors and mistakes, but she's not adopting a particular voice, it's just how she writes.

I feel like I've seen that ironic voice filter along that path, especially as the internet aged through this now-past decade, but it just as well may have been the other way around and I simply experienced that shift through SA, as I have a lot of the internet's shifts. Kind of the way the impact font meme did. I want to say it was around the time of GBS2.0 that the ironic voice filtered out into the wider internet, but truthfully I think Lassaiz's Faire closing, and the subsequent migration to Twitter, propagated it, especially since Twitter lends itself so well to it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

I think people really forget how much heavier traffic was in the forum's peaks. There was a time where something like adhering to grammar and punctuation restrictions was an attractive enough feature to make people pay ten dollars for the luxury of having it enforced. That probably seems bizarre to anyone under perhaps 23, but pre-social media internet was often very difficult to read - autocorrect was not a thing, and the internet skewed much younger than it does now. Nowadays typing like an idiot is an affectation, shitposting.

i initially started typing like this after i realized i was trans, because i felt like it helped me express as female. which is incredibly stupid, because "typing like a girl" is absolutely not A Thing. but it helped, and still does to an extent, so i still do it :shobon:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Heath posted:

especially as the internet aged through this now-past decade

The decade isn't over yet. It started with January 1st of 2011, and will end December 31st of 2020.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tashilicious posted:

the only reason I don't hate you is because you have to mod those threads and I figure that balances out whatever.

I mod a Taco Bell thread too, if that improves your online impression of me.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The decade isn't over yet. It started with January 1st of 2011, and will end December 31st of 2020.

MODS PLEASE

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There is no year zero. I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL.

I already died on this hill on December 31st of 1999.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

how is it easier to go around being pedantically wrong about this instead of just going "well the gregorian calendar didn't start in year 1, there's no reason for us not to have a year 0, it can just be another name for 1 bce" like any other normal person

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You know us women, bad at punctuation. The lesser volume of our brains is where semicolons usually live.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

razorrozar posted:

i initially started typing like this after i realized i was trans, because i felt like it helped me express as female. which is incredibly stupid, because "typing like a girl" is absolutely not A Thing. but it helped, and still does to an extent, so i still do it :shobon:
i'm typing-fluid.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CaptainSarcastic posted:

you're right but it makes absolutely no sense to say, for instance, 2000 is part of the 90s

the 00s decade started in 2000, the 21st century started in 2001

decades are measured a year off from centuries and that's perfectly okay

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

You know us women, bad at punctuation. The lesser volume of our brains is where semicolons usually live.

pick, i specifically said i knew it was dumb. typing like a woman is not a thing. women can type however they want. please don't try to spin this into me being bigoted, because it's not.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

razorrozar posted:

you're right but it makes absolutely no sense to say, for instance, 2000 is part of the 90s

the 00s decade started in 2000, the 21st century started in 2001

decades are measured a year off from centuries and that's perfectly okay

Who loving cares. Stop the derails bf I use my super mod powers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

razorrozar posted:

pick, i specifically said i knew it was dumb. typing like a woman is not a thing. women can type however they want. please don't try to spin this into me being bigoted, because it's not.

How about if it seems bigoted, don't say it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We're in the age of computers and in computer stuff you count from zero.

Jesus didn't have computers so he counted from one.

Easy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Who loving cares. Stop the derails bf I use my super mod powers.

i'm almost tempted to try and get you to probe me in pyf but i always end up probed doing that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bell jar posted:

how is it easier to go around being pedantically wrong about this instead of just going "well the gregorian calendar didn't start in year 1, there's no reason for us not to have a year 0, it can just be another name for 1 bce" like any other normal person

didnt the gregorian calendar start in 1582

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

yeah, time is made up, its easy to just be like "there's a year 0 now dog"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tweak posted:

This might be the reason for the login related issues some were seeing:

fun fact;

this was brought up in one of the two (or three) possibly serious possibly bad faith "we should clear out the loving slurs in the SA code and contents" about a month ago. Along with a bunch of other stuff like it. They were active threads too, and at least one of them on the topic was actually sincere.

once again, mods knew
mods always know

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bell jar posted:

yeah, time is made up, its easy to just be like "there's a year 0 now dog"

yeah, pope gregory created 297 years out of nothing and it's really 1723

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
While there was no year 0, there was a year .999...

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

No it started in 1994 when that cd about chanting came out.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally, I hate how they changed BC/AD to BCE/CE without actually changing the reference dates and then kind of smugly went "now it's secular"

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

No it started in 1994 when that cd about chanting came out.

Enigma is amazing and I wish I still had the CD

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It just doesn't feel like 1723 though. I'd say it feels kind of like 1815ish.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
why substract when you could add

it's the year 80085 now, and no one can stop you

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tashilicious posted:

Personally, I hate how they changed BC/AD to BCE/CE without actually changing the reference dates and then kind of smugly went "now it's secular"

I had a religion teacher at school that had a rant about how this was just another way that people were trying to erase christ's influence.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ToxicFrog posted:

Found by googling [site:forums.somethingawful.com razer party]: HOLD ON TO YOUR loving BALLS IT'S A NEW THING FROM RAZER in the Goldmine.

You know what I love about this? Despite being eight years old, there is no racism, no transphobia, no homophobia, nothing. This is exactly the kind of clean, wholesome, inoffensive content the forums need more of.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

i must new chronology post at any given opportunity, even if it's a derail. this is my cross to bear, just as jesus bore the cross in like 1979 apparently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

Enigma is amazing and I wish I still had the CD

eh

common era instead of anno domani is pretty friggin old at this point

really it originally originated as a way to differentiate the regnal year from the christian calendar year and its meaning kind of linguistically drifted into a secular meaning, since vilgar/common drifted into the non-religious secular form it has today, allowing for a way for non-Christians to get on using the now widely used Gregorian system without having to acknowledge Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tweezer Reprise posted:

i must new chronology post at any given opportunity, even if it's a derail. this is my cross to bear, just as jesus bore the cross in like 1979 apparently
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

I was more for for Illig and the phantom time hypothesis