Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

TNG does feel timeless despite being aggressively 90s and I can't explain why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would you hatewatch anything in this era when we are drowning in audiovisual media.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you hatewatch anything in this era when we are drowning in audiovisual media.
Yes considering how it's hard to have time just to watch the good stuff, I don't have the time to go back through a slog like Voyager or Enterprise

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alan_Shore posted:

I feel like Patrick Stewart does a lot to elevate the material. Brooks does too with DS9 but DS9 is intrinisically a little more deep-diving and niche-y.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Astroman posted:

Reducing cancel/resubs would be harder, but they could just put in restrictions like other businesses have. You can't keep signing up for and cancelling credit cards with the same company to reap intro bonus points for example They could limit resubs in a yearly period, or just make resubs more expensive. Maybe you are a new subscriber you pay :10bux: a month, but if you are coming back after a cancellation you have to pay $15 and they'll say $15 is the "normal" rate and $10 is the "special new sub" rate like with cable companies or cell phone companies with steep discounts for new users that longterm customers don't get to have.

What they'll do is is increase the monthly fee, and grandfather you in to the old rate until you cancel/suspend your account. Netflix will probably be the first to do this, they have a good rep for delivering content people want to watch, so keeping them around for a couple of months until new stuff comes out will be a relatively easy decision.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan_Shore posted:

Even the stuff that does feel very dated is mostly from the first two seasons. Beige cruise liner aesthetic or not, the show still looks better than everything else from that era in every way.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's more like a "Is this as bland as I remember it?" watch than anything.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well, don't do that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BSG also manages to feel way more “of its time” than TNG somehow.

Yeah it definitely has very powerful post-9/11 energy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

It seems like the Mouse's recipe for success was to make a decent product, market it heavily, and then not stop doing part one even when they encountered hitches and bumps.They do have unique strength for "marketing it heavily" but it seems you can apply that principle in other realms.

The other part of it was to just take their drat time on the sequels and team-ups, rather than trying to cram in a bunch of main characters immediately like DC and that "Dark Universe" blech.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roadie posted:

The other part of it was to just take their drat time on the sequels and team-ups, rather than trying to cram in a bunch of main characters immediately like DC and that "Dark Universe" blech.

Confidence counts for a lot, I think. Nobody likes watching desperate flailing with billion-dollar budgets.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Roadie posted:

The DCCU also never had an Iron Man success

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked BSG a lot at the time but trying to rewatch it multiple times over the past few years has left me cold towards most of it. By the last season some of the big emotional confrontations between Adama and Tigh feel laughable and the whole production emanates a powerful high school drama club energy

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
BS9 had a lot of filler due to the longer season lengths past S1, and you can really tell that RDM really was making it up as he went along with the whole "CYLONS HAVE A PLAN" or "OMG AM I A CYLON???" mystery box Jar Jar Abrams style bullshit that never pays off.

I would not recommend anyone watch the series past New Caprica arc now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Whenever you read about TNG early concepts so much of it was based around imagining what a future society with TOS technology +100 years might be like and then building the crew, ship, and stories around that.

It means that there is some weirdness in the first season, but it's also a really solid world building foundation that many shows don't have.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It helps that TNG's aesthetic of touchscreens everywhere and handheld tablets ended up being a pretty good prediction of modern technology styles.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Except for the fact the TNG tablets all seem to be single use.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Except for the fact the TNG tablets all seem to be single use.
Mostly, although I swear in The Chase, Beverly uses one for two different purposes. I was watching it last night.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said, but given that replicating a new PADD is basically as easy as printing off a sheet of paper, and they're all generally linked to the mainframe except maybe for personal ones, I figure it makes sense to make as many as a task might need, especially if you're gonna be handing it off to someone. (also explains why busy officers have a desk covered with them)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We've seen plenty of cases where someone is like 'oh have you seen the [whatever]' and then picks up the nearest PADD and punches a few buttons to pull up what they were talking about and hands it over, so they're clearly capable of being arbitrary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Instead of toilet paper you use the three PADDs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Instead of toilet paper you use the three PADDs

It used to only be three, now it takes ten or twelve.

Not for me of course, but you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Right now on my desk I have a smartphone, a laptop, and a chromebook and I'm using them all.

So, yeah, a handful of PADDs doesn't seem all that outlandish.

The real reason, of course, is it's just storytelling parlance to show a busy person with a crowded desk and using paper would seem silly. Someone going through a bunch of tabs on their computer doesn't quite have the same visual impact.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 2, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want to buy an iPad just for the explicit purpose of telling people to GO AWAY.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
There is less utility to having a second or third monitor than there is to multiple PADDs and that's relatively common.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
fyi DS9 will now be shown on BBC America.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That owns, BBCA does like full-day Trek marathons on the reg.

e: which rules but is honestly a bit weird for a channel that normally shows nothing but UK shows like Dr. Who

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: which rules but is honestly a bit weird for a channel that normally shows nothing but UK shows like Dr. Who

They are doing one right now. They are calling it a "battles" day but I'm not sure all the episodes qualify for that heading. They just finished "Yesterday's Enterprise", now it's BOBW 1&2. After that, "Redemption 1&2", "Cause and Effect", "Genesis", "All Good Things 1 & 2" before starting into DS9. At least today though, they aren't going from the beginning are following along with the same theme.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

and TNG.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bull3964 posted:

Right now on my desk I have a smartphone, a laptop, and a chromebook and I'm using them all.

So, yeah, a handful of PADDs doesn't seem all that outlandish.

The real reason, of course, is it's just storytelling parlance to show a busy person with a crowded desk and using paper would seem silly. Someone going through a bunch of tabs on their computer doesn't quite have the same visual impact.

It would be hilarious though to have some newbie approach a senior officer and be like "hey, can I talk to you about--" and the officer just turns a PADD towards them, screen chock-full of flashing notification tabs. Then she continues walking down the corridor, without a word.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I meant the collective Trek, they jump between TNG and VOY (and TOS? I can't remember)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rewatching "The Best of Both Worlds" for the umpteenth time. It's really crazy how well this nearly 30 year old episode of TV holds up today. The cinematography is about the only thing that's pedestrian by today's standards. Other than that though, the writing, pacing, editing, and acting remains on point. Even the special effects are good by today's standards and would actually beat some of the budget CGI that's on genre TV.

TNG really is a timeless classic. Its a shame that they weren't shooting in widescreen in the early 90s as that's really the old thing that dates it.

The HD remaster really helps with this too, it helps you forget how old the show is and it's a drat shame that DS9 (and yes, even Voyager) aren't going to get the same treatment. It's going to be really jarring on this BBC-A marathon to go from HD TNG episodes to SD DS9 episodes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Rewatching "The Best of Both Worlds" for the umpteenth time. It's really crazy how well this nearly 30 year old episode of TV holds up today. The cinematography is about the only thing that's pedestrian by today's standards. Other than that though, the writing, pacing, editing, and acting remains on point. Even the special effects are good by today's standards and would actually beat some of the budget CGI that's on genre TV.

TNG really is a timeless classic. Its a shame that they weren't shooting in widescreen in the early 90s as that's really the old thing that dates it.

The HD remaster really helps with this too, it helps you forget how old the show is and it's a drat shame that DS9 (and yes, even Voyager) aren't going to get the same treatment. It's going to be really jarring on this BBC-A marathon to go from HD TNG episodes to SD DS9 episodes.

It has a low key great Troi moment in it that also tells you how much they waste the character. Her telling Riker in part 1 that it's inappropriate for him to lead the away team. Cool, calm, collected but also willing to stand up to someone when they are making a wrong decision. So many great moments in that episode obviously but I think its a scene that deserves another look.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

It helps that TNG's aesthetic of touchscreens everywhere and handheld tablets ended up being a pretty good prediction of modern technology styles.

They're not touchscreens, they're just incredibly flat buttons. Which seems like less a technological prediction and more like lazy prop making.

Also touchscreens are awful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shelby is also good and I wish that wasn’t her only appearance

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're not touchscreens, they're just incredibly flat buttons. Which seems like less a technological prediction and more like lazy prop making.

Flat buttons you say? What an absurd prediction!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

They aren't, though, because IN THEORY the LCARS buttons would rearrange themselves anywhere on the screen as needed.

Obviously we didn't see that much for practical reasons

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

They aren't, though, because IN THEORY the LCARS buttons would rearrange themselves anywhere on the screen as needed.

Obviously we didn't see that much for practical reasons

You actually see this kind of thing in a lot of modern software design, where the top action bar or whatever changes to suit what you're doing at the moment (MS Office comes to mind as the biggest example)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shelby is also good and I wish that wasn’t her only appearance

I think that also dates the show just a smidge. In a streaming service era, shelby would have a few appearances here and there. It works on one level since the character won't get ruined but on the other hand she was a great addition and good shake up to the episode it worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I am kind of curious if there's a user interface we haven't even thought of yet, like something so out of left field or fringe physics/materials science that we can't even posit its technological use at present. What if the next "button" is something incomprehensibly more straightforward and elegant than our clumsy meeting of the physical and electronic at present? I don't even know what to suggest, because anything that I can think of has invariably already been thought of today, let alone the 24th century.