Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Xtanstic posted:

It me, The Horny Toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

https://pastebin.com/FZgLT9D8

I've got stuff finally set up enough to do some test card name generation. Let me know what you think!

If you want to make Legendary cards, you could use backer names in front of one of the phrases from this list

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Devor posted:

If you want to make Legendary cards, you could use backer names in front of one of the phrases from this list

holy poo poo that's genius

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Smashed Nut of Painful Pain

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

something posted:

holy poo poo that's genius

I guess now I need to hop on discord and relay to you all my shameful purchases, huh

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I forgot to switch my diggers over before I went to bed. I missed out an overnight of Titan farming. :bang:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Pounding Illuminati of Rationality? Is that guy in D&D or CSPAM?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i've finally completed the troll challenge to upgrade my fruit levels to 24 in NGU. Is the best approach to just keep dumping seeds into pomegranate to take it up to level 24 and then level everything else?

I'm assuming that levelling pomegranate from 23-24 will take a silly number of seeds or some poo poo so i'll maybe see better gains by aiming for like level 15 or something and then bringing other things up to level 10 or so?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The advice I received was Gold to 24 first (this is a huge boost to diggers) followed by Pom 24. I also focused on maxing the first harvest and seed perks, which helps Pom fuel its own growth.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

explosivo posted:

Those are good. I scrolled down to a random one and 'Lemon of Indignation' got a lol out of me.
Thanks for this idea cause Sharting Goose of Misery absolutely slayed me and I am absolutely not reading anything else on the list now cause it's all downhill from there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sharting Goose of Misery

I am absolutely going to red text someone with this today and they are gonna have no idea what the gently caress.

Any advice for challenges in NGU? I kind of hate trying to grind back to where i was pre-challenge, though that’s kind of my own fault for doing it right after I finally unlocked diggers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

So i've finally completed the troll challenge to upgrade my fruit levels to 24 in NGU. Is the best approach to just keep dumping seeds into pomegranate to take it up to level 24 and then level everything else?

I'm assuming that levelling pomegranate from 23-24 will take a silly number of seeds or some poo poo so i'll maybe see better gains by aiming for like level 15 or something and then bringing other things up to level 10 or so?

do gold first, since it will take ~5000 seeds to max to 24

pom to 24 is next (get the seed perk and quirk), then the first harvest perks, then knowledge to 24 along with the 2 FOK sucks perks, then luck

after that you can start to backfill in order though you might want to raise some of the others up to like 6 or 12, just to be more efficient on daily reqards

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 1, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Is there an ETA for the post-Christmas update? I'm within spitting range of V1 and I'd like to kill it before the Christmas bonus disappears.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat Uug the first time, and bought an extra beard slot with AP. What are good starting beards, neckbeard & fu manchu, I assume?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
No, BEARd and Neckbeard are going to get most use at first, then Beard Cage. The magic beards are all very situational, mostly for Challenges, aside from the Golden Beard that is going to be always on from the moment you first get it(And will probably be your 4th Beard Slot because of that as well).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thanks for this idea cause Sharting Goose of Misery absolutely slayed me and I am absolutely not reading anything else on the list now cause it's all downhill from there.

The Pure, Confident, Happy Baboon is someone we can all aspire to be

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

No, BEARd and Neckbeard are going to get most use at first, then Beard Cage. The magic beards are all very situational, mostly for Challenges, aside from the Golden Beard that is going to be always on from the moment you first get it(And will probably be your 4th Beard Slot because of that as well).

Ah, yes. Right. Adventure stats are king over basic stats. I'm smart.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple levels in the mega set and can finally idle in the megalands but i'm getting bored of this long rebirth. should i just stick it out until i can max them or is it time to do some challenges and maybe unlock auto boost to make idling less manual.

does the infinity cube count as equipment re: the no equipment challenge

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A few months back I dropped into Evil and then stopped playing the game for a few months, I got the itch to load it back up and start progressing again, trying to push past Evilverse since I've heard the Edgy gear isn't really worth it (I do have the amulet) but I have a couple questions:

I've already done the basic challenges for Evil, are any of the other challenges worth doing (and possible) at this point? I haven't done no TM either since the first time I tried it was utterly godawful, but I don't know when would be a good time to do it.

When are Evil NGUs worth doing? I can't even BB all of my normal NGUs (energy or magic) so I figure it might be a bit? I was thinking of waiting until I have the QP Perk for gaining a level in normal whenever I do in Evil.

What should my perk priority be at this point? I have most of the first four rows maxxed (save for extra inventory slots and bonus boss EXP), up to level 5 of the Fibonacci perk, faster energy NGU II, and I'm working on faster magic NGU II, but what should I go for after that?

My QP is in pretty bad shape right now, but I do have some saved up (about 10,000), should I spend it on banks, or save up for Normal NGU + Evil NGU?

Pylons fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 1, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Any new gear is worth it, no idea why someone would tell you to skip an entire set.

Basics are good and there aren't many Evil Challenges with actual rewards so might as well stop there for a while.

Do some Evil NGUs to get a good multiplier on the very easy ones - Ygg, Augments, Wandoos, Exp. You may want to get some levels on the not so easy ones - Gold, Adventure, Power, Power Beta - but the focus is still boosting Normal NGUs.

This is my current PP page, shortly after the second Evil zone:

Aside from the last Beard bank, I'll be mostly plinking some levels on the Generics II and NGUs II for a while.

I haven't cared about Questing for a while but if you managed to save 10000 then might as well save a bit more and get the Evil NGU <=> Normal NGU quirk.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's more, people tend to be able to complete the next zone before they can complete that set. So you skip it get the next one to 100 then back fill it for the 100 bonus.

Also the No TM and No NGU are something you aren't going to do until you are looking to move from evil to sad, they take a pretty long time even at the end of Evil.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How much of a boost are the Evil Basic Challenges supposed to give me? The info screen on the challenge menu says 10%, but when I did my second one, the victory tooltip said 2% and my adventure stats breakdown page says my Basic Challenge Modifier is 162%.

So there's probably a bug from when the # of challenges got reduced, but I'm not sure which bit is the thing that needs to be fixed.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Bedurndurn posted:

How much of a boost are the Evil Basic Challenges supposed to give me? The info screen on the challenge menu says 10%, but when I did my second one, the victory tooltip said 2% and my adventure stats breakdown page says my Basic Challenge Modifier is 162%.

So there's probably a bug from when the # of challenges got reduced, but I'm not sure which bit is the thing that needs to be fixed.

visual bug, don't worry.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
card procgen suggestions:

kill the "The" 80% of the time, adjective-noun is more common and natural

adverbs are cool! throw in adverbs sometimes!

it's work, but if you throw in a fantasy name generator you get stuff like Filblux, Farting Badger of the West

<noun>'s <noun> is another good construct

also sometimes just one word is good enough. if you get a card that's just "Prolapse" that's pretty ok right

instead of hardcoding it maybe flag which words can be -ing'd without spelling issues?

same with suffixes. "-mancer" is always funny, "-ian" is good too

smashing nouns together can work. gimme some pandatoast weaselguns and felchgrannies of torment

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
It was brought up in the discord that letting the card bonus you get be completely random could be frustrating and too random when combined with the other RNG present in the card mechanics. I think a thematic way to implement this would be to let the player choose which "card set" they want to pull cards/booster packs from, with each set having specific stats in their cards. Like how, in magic, you could choose to buy a Ravnica booster pack or a Morridan booster pack or whatever.

That way, you won't have complete control of the card bonuses you get, but more than if it were completely random. Maybe have the most important/powerful stats (adventure stats, hack/wish speed, etc.) be in multiple packs so that a few aren't picked exclusively by everyone, or have way more pack types with fewer card types in them but force the player to choose to pull from 2-4 of them at once. They could even have silly names/cover art.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
This was brought up in the discord as well and I agree, so i'll likely add a submenu to let you pick about 3 types of cards you receive ( so, narrow down the card gen to 3 bonus type), you'll still have the RNG on the mana costs, degree of effect etc, but that RNG is already intended to be constrained in those areas.

edit: you literally said that in your first sentence as well :downs:

something fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 2, 2020

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

something posted:

This was brought up in the discord as well and I agree, so i'll likely add a submenu to let you pick about 3 types of cards you receive ( so, narrow down the card gen to 3 bonus type), you'll still have the RNG on the mana costs, degree of effect etc, but that RNG is already intended to be constrained in those areas.

Francis posted:

Madlibs Expert Suggestions

Thanks for these tips, really! They're fantastic. I really want to split up the monotony so the randomly generated names can still give you a laugh even after you seen a hundred of them. I'll try out the smashed-noun thing for sure. I think 1 or 2 of the only 9 "sentence" structures have a "The" in them so i would chalk their commonality to this name generator just not being fully done yet, but we'll see!

One restriction i think I can't break is that there only be one noun. I use the noun to determine the card art, so multiple nouns would confuse people as to what one becomes the art.

I'll make another 1000 word list in a couple days for feedback

something fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 2, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Since you'll be adding more and more panels to the long list of features, maybe it'd be a good idea to combine Basic Training, Advanced Training and Fight Boss into a single line with three separate square-shaped panels to save some space (kinda like morse code).

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

Since you'll be adding more and more panels to the long list of features, maybe it'd be a good idea to combine Basic Training, Advanced Training and Fight Boss into a single line with three separate square-shaped panels to save some space (kinda like morse code).

I'd rather not because adding multiple layers of clicks to access a given menu, especially for the very first features a person sees, jacks up the confusion and UI-unfiendliness. I have several ways I can get extra space and i expect i'll only make a few more major features requiring a button on that section because there's really not any more I can add.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

something posted:

I'd rather not because adding multiple layers of clicks to access a given menu, especially for the very first features a person sees, jacks up the confusion and UI-unfiendliness. I have several ways I can get extra space and i expect i'll only make a few more major features requiring a button on that section because there's really not any more I can add.

Make features into a tree view, persist expanded/collapsed state of nodes. Default is everything expanded for new players.

This is also good because it would let you make things like PP menu, QP menu, daily spin, magic NGUs and blood magic spells more easily accessible. Like, I click on Adv Training once per rebirth, but I'm looking at PP and QP all the time. Meanwhile, Adv Training has its own button that could happily be hidden away under a "Training" root node with basic training, augs, and adv training in it that I never look at after the first 10 minutes of a rebirth.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
https://pastie.io/raw/xlwfje

Round 2 of the card name generator, using some of the ideas posted here.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I laughed at a ton of those so you’re definitely on the right track. It’s actually the simpler ones that get to me the most on average. There’s just something about the simplicity of “limitless potato”.

quote:

Bob's Dubious Nut

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

something posted:

https://pastie.io/raw/xlwfje

Round 2 of the card name generator, using some of the ideas posted here.

Some of them don't make sense:

Kitty's Dusty Prostrating
Gorilla's Grotesque Smashing
Miasma's Beastial Smashing
Baboon's Robust Defecating
Beer's Revolting Swerving

It seems like it's pulling from the wrong list, or one of the lists has some words it shouldn't.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It seems like it's pulling from the wrong list, or one of the lists has some words it shouldn't.

Good catch, one of the "sentences" as I call em in code is that format and is wrong. Probabyl change the verb-ing to just verb.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Good catch, one of the "sentences" as I call em in code is that format and is wrong. Probabyl change the verb-ing to just verb.

Careful with that, going to be really easy to misread the first one as Kitty's Dusty Prostate

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

Careful with that, going to be really easy to misread the first one as Kitty's Dusty Prostate

And this is bad why?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

And this is bad why?

you ruined the joke by questioning it

maybe it wasn't obvious so therefore not funny though. I may have failed at a comedy in the first place.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

gently caress you walderp you punk rear end bitch, can't wait to AK you

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Pigbuster posted:

I laughed at a ton of those so you’re definitely on the right track. It’s actually the simpler ones that get to me the most on average. There’s just something about the simplicity of “limitless potato”.

My favorite is probably "Fantastic Burrito". There's, like, deep lore there. I want to know more about why the burrito is so fantastic and what I can accomplish with such a fantastic burrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have begun NGUing and have found I am compelled to max out any item as soon as it's theoretically possible. I have unfortunately included the forest pendant and looty on this list.
____
___:mcnally:
_____:goku: