Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You get new friends by talking to the Adventurer (the FF Red Mage-type guy who acts as a save point), in the "Save" menu. There are two options there, "Update Data" (which goes out looking on the Internet for randos to exchange Friend Summons and villagers with), and "Add Friend" should work with your 3DS friends. Make sure your buddy has you registered on their console and copy of the game, too, and has done the "Update Data" thing at least once recently, just to be safe. You have a max of 20 friends in Bravely Default, though.

I could've sworn I'd posted my Friend Code previously, but digging up the post has proven to be more effort than just looking it up on my 3DS. 1264-0166-6813.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ah, didn't know he had to update himself.

My friend code is 0576 9158 3649

If you're feeling generous, add me and update your data :D

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got Pokémon Sword and Bravely for myself, and while I haven't played much of the latter for obvious reasons, it'd be cool to see people on it.

I'm at 0147-1794-8806.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The home brew thread is dead so I’ll ask here, hope that’s cool.

My DS Lite is long dead and I don’t want to buy a used 10+ year old system to replace it when brand new hardware isn’t that bad. If I don’t care about modern games and only want to consolidate my GBA and original two-screen Castlevania games onto one system, are there any options for a brand new 3DS?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it just not booting on? Have you tried a new battery?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You could always buy a refurbished 2DS off of Nintendo's official store for $50 and if you're ok with :filez:, you can upload all of the GBA Castlevania games to it. Setting up homebrew is pretty easy these days.

Nintendo's refurbished systems are pretty much brand new.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d only rom things I own. I’d rebuy all my old GBA and DS games if Nintendo had any new systems that played them, but Switch online probably won’t get to GBA games until like 2025.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

looks like you need a flashcart or hard mod to cfw a newer firmware 2ds or 3ds. Also n3dsxl is out of production, it's probably getting pretty hard to find a new one, being superseded by the n2dsxl. been looking into getting a new 2ds xl myself as a backup system for my n3dsxl

edit: actually i was reading the table wrong, you can just CFW a new in box n2dsxl, dont need a flash cart or hard mod

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

The home brew thread is dead so I’ll ask here, hope that’s cool.

My DS Lite is long dead and I don’t want to buy a used 10+ year old system to replace it when brand new hardware isn’t that bad. If I don’t care about modern games and only want to consolidate my GBA and original two-screen Castlevania games onto one system, are there any options for a brand new 3DS?

Worth noting: GBA roms on the 2/3DS hardware are pretty rear end, explicitly because they aren’t emulated— there’s actually an arm7 buried in there somewhere, which means running a GBA rom
- loads the entire game into memory accessible by the arm7, a 20-30 second process
- shuts down the DS OS and restarts in “GBA mode”
- is obviously incapable of keeping track of screen closing for sleeping because that didn’t exist on the GBA
- also no savestates if you care about those in the other virtual console titles
- takes another 10-15 to kick back out into the DS OS afterwards

And on top of that, it’s not smart enough to say “this is the last GBA game you played” and just use it if it’s loaded already, it re-copies it every launch regardless

There’s a reason the ambassador games never got broadly released even after the New models dropped. Most GBA flashcarts are a lot better about smart and fast loading nowadays too if you want consolidation on original hardware, fwiw (and I’m pretty sure some of them ship with the option of “original GBA cart size” or “DS half-cart size” for people who want them to sit flush on a ds lite)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Software emulating the GBA on the 3DS is also an option however, mGBA has an official 3DS port that works quite well.

(at least it does on the n3DS, I don't know if the OG 3DS is fast enough)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

tbf, actual 3ds sleep vs closing the clamshell in gba mode probably has negligible diff in battery life given how bad the 3ds sleep battery saving is

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Worth noting: GBA roms on the 2/3DS hardware are pretty rear end, explicitly because they aren’t emulated— there’s actually an arm7 buried in there somewhere, which means running a GBA rom
- loads the entire game into memory accessible by the arm7, a 20-30 second process
- shuts down the DS OS and restarts in “GBA mode”
- is obviously incapable of keeping track of screen closing for sleeping because that didn’t exist on the GBA
- also no savestates if you care about those in the other virtual console titles
- takes another 10-15 to kick back out into the DS OS afterwards

And on top of that, it’s not smart enough to say “this is the last GBA game you played” and just use it if it’s loaded already, it re-copies it every launch regardless

There’s a reason the ambassador games never got broadly released even after the New models dropped. Most GBA flashcarts are a lot better about smart and fast loading nowadays too if you want consolidation on original hardware, fwiw (and I’m pretty sure some of them ship with the option of “original GBA cart size” or “DS half-cart size” for people who want them to sit flush on a ds lite)

None of these things are a huge deal imo. It’s not like it’s super quick to load up anything else on 3DS. It’s cool as hell to be able to play 3 generations of games natively on the same platform.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, a cfw 3DS (with a DS flastcart) is an amazing way to play all of Nintendo's handheld library, Gameboy through 3DS.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there a homebrewy way to make it that all DS or GBA games launch in “pixel perfect” mode automatically? Sometimes I let go of select too early or press it too late then I need to close and relaunch.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, a cfw 3DS (with a DS flastcart) is an amazing way to play all of Nintendo's handheld library, Gameboy through 3DS.
You don't even need the DS flashcart (GBATemp link).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah but DS flashcarts are dirt cheap and have near perfect game compatibility nowadays, while the software loader is still hit or miss. Just get a flashcart tbh.

hatty posted:

Is there a homebrewy way to make it that all DS or GBA games launch in “pixel perfect” mode automatically? Sometimes I let go of select too early or press it too late then I need to close and relaunch.

I don't think there is, it sounds like something CFW could do but googling it just found someone asking the Luma3DS dev if it's possible and the dev saying "No" with no elaboration :shrug:

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I messed up a DSi trying to get Twilight on it. :/ I've added CFW to a bunch of 2DS and 3DS systems but something didn't go well for the DSi.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

repiv posted:

Yeah but DS flashcarts are dirt cheap and have near perfect game compatibility nowadays, while the software loader is still hit or miss. Just get a flashcart tbh.
I know game compatibility isn't perfect on Twilight Menu, but it's still being actively developed and it's worked perfectly on every game I've tried playing on it. Contrast the 4-5 DS flashcarts I have that work irregularly at best (most of them seem to have connection issues or something).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rated PG-34 posted:

tbf, actual 3ds sleep vs closing the clamshell in gba mode probably has negligible diff in battery life given how bad the 3ds sleep battery saving is

turn your screen on wifi off

seriously that’s like 90% of it, when you just close it it’s still going hog wild trying to jump bands looking for spotpass/streetpass poo poo, and that effectively-active-wardriving is a hell of a battery drain

I used to flip the wifi off when I wasn’t actively at a con looking for spotpasses and the battery life in sleep mode basically quadrupled

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Unless the game actually has a sleep mode. Some GBA games like Yoshi's Island actually have a sleep mode, and it actually puts the 3DS to sleep. At least one injector can also add a button combination to games that activates sleep mode, but results may vary on whether it actually works or not or breaks the game entirely.

However, while opening the 3DS or flicking the 2DS sleep switch back off will automatically leave sleep mode, closing the 3DS and flipping the 2DS sleep switch on will not automatically enter sleep mode. You have to specifically go to the menu/do the button command/whatever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I know game compatibility isn't perfect on Twilight Menu, but it's still being actively developed and it's worked perfectly on every game I've tried playing on it. Contrast the 4-5 DS flashcarts I have that work irregularly at best (most of them seem to have connection issues or something).

Yeah having missed the original ds generation, it's fantastic to have the ds library working on my 3ds now with twilightmenu. There's really very few games on the compatiblity list that dont work 100% and most of them are pretty random low popularity titles.

The worst issues were Pokemon games freezing within the first 10 or so minutes. some bad rom patches and pokemon black (dsi enhanced) had to be forced to run in ds mode and it took a while to google that info but all those games are working 100% now for me, so zero reason to get a flashcart.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love the poo poo out of my 3DS, but my Vita is way better for 2d, single screen emulation like GBA / SNES / Genesis / etc. It's nice to run stuff on real hardware though, and the DS / 3DS library is so loving vast and good that I barely have room on my SD card for GBA games anyway.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Can we talk about how Nintendo never released any VB games on 3DS?

Are we OK with VB Warioland essentially being lost to time at this point?

see also: Mario Clash, Galactic Pinball, Jack Bros, etc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's infuriating, now you mention it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

STEM Manifesto posted:

are there any cases/protectors that are considered standout?

I've managed to avoid any major dings on my zelda themed 3ds so far, but the ol' goon grease from my hands has started to rub the finish off along the edges so I figured I'd finally get around to buying one before finishing off the three(!) shovel knight campaigns that I totally forgot I had waiting for me

The clear HORI one. You'll have to import it, but afaik, it's the best one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I love the poo poo out of my 3DS, but my Vita is way better for 2d, single screen emulation like GBA / SNES / Genesis / etc. It's nice to run stuff on real hardware though, and the DS / 3DS library is so loving vast and good that I barely have room on my SD card for GBA games anyway.

Looks like they figured out an exploit for Switch Lite. That'll probably end up being nicer and friendlier than a hacked Vita.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

That's infuriating, now you mention it.

To add salt to the wound they included Virtual Boy stuff in that UFO catcher game and in Tomadachi Life. Just why? :argh:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Man, that claw game. It's weird that I used to play it every day for the five free pulls or whatever, even sitting through the loading screen that seemed to take forever. Now I can't even remember what it was called. Pins or something? Anyway, RIP pink rabbit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like they figured out an exploit for Switch Lite. That'll probably end up being nicer and friendlier than a hacked Vita.

The Xecuter one? That's not a software exploit, they're selling a modchip and it's currently unknown how difficult the installation will be.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Well, I'm sure a full exploit will happen in due time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Probably, but I wouldn't hold your breath for another unfixable god-mode hardware backdoor like the RCM flaw on early Switches.

The firmware itself could be attacked but Nintendo can update that on a whim so you might need to go out of your way to keep a Lite on older firmware to eventually hack it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm in no hurry. I don't wanna hack my Switch until a successor has been released and Switch is in the state 3DS has been for the past year.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Come to think of it, I should hack my New 2DSXL. Is there a thread for that? TIA.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 4, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Man, that claw game. It's weird that I used to play it every day for the five free pulls or whatever, even sitting through the loading screen that seemed to take forever. Now I can't even remember what it was called. Pins or something? Anyway, RIP pink rabbit.

You and me both. And likewise, I can't for the life of me remember the name. I still use a ton of those seals to organize my home screen. They're kinda useful and make for a nice aesthetic.

Even on the New 3DS that cocksucker took so long to load. Thinking back I probably spent as much time loading it as playing it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Badge Arcade.

And yeah the load times killed it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Badge Arcade was so intensive on the system that they had to scrap a ton of upcoming badges that they wanted to because the thing was just breaking down the system completely iirc.

I spent way too much on it to get pixel stuff and characters I liked so it's for the best its out of my life.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the only reason it stopped was because they hit a hard limit on how many badges they could add.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
There are alternatives - VBjin https://github.com/braindx/vbjin-ovr emulates Virtual Boy games in VR so that you get the full 3D effect. You can even sideload it onto an Oculus Quest if you don't have full desktop VR.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Snackmar posted:

There are alternatives - VBjin https://github.com/braindx/vbjin-ovr emulates Virtual Boy games in VR so that you get the full 3D effect. You can even sideload it onto an Oculus Quest if you don't have full desktop VR.

Many thanks!

Hearing about why they had to kill Badge Arcade makes me cry a bit inside. I don't know the first thing about programming, but it's odd that something as seemingly small as that program would be such a resource hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fly Ricky posted:

Many thanks!

Hearing about why they had to kill Badge Arcade makes me cry a bit inside. I don't know the first thing about programming, but it's odd that something as seemingly small as that program would be such a resource hog.

I know a lot about programming.

It's clear proof their system was a barely functional nightmare to begin with.