Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, I am 40 years old... should I work out hard for years and years and control my diet and keep check of every calorie in preparation for this role ORRRRR should I spend 200 bucks and get some testosterone injections so I can catch up in 6 months?

Hm what a difficult decision, truly a question for the ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

Hm, I am 40 years old... should I work out hard for years and years and control my diet and keep check of every calorie in preparation for this role ORRRRR should I spend 200 bucks and get some testosterone injections so I can catch up in 6 months?

Hm what a difficult decision, truly a question for the ages

Do both and become a twink slaying god

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I tweaked my tricep where it attaches at my shoulder, from doing warm up on elliptical. That was over a week ago. I thought it was better and wrenched it opening a heavy door, hard, day before yesterday. God I'm old. Anyway yesterday I couldn't rais my arm above my head without pain but today I can. Can anyone tell me how to do pre warm up warm ups or something? This should go away in a week or two.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redreader posted:

Can anyone tell me how to do pre warm up warm ups or something?

Don't.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Wtf do rich people personal trainers actually do that is so much more effective than what I can do, especially with researching programming on my own and nutrition?

The personal trainer poo poo always seemed dumb as gently caress to me as to how actors get jacked.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They have magical fingers

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Cobra Commander posted:

Wtf do rich people personal trainers actually do that is so much more effective than what I can do, especially with researching programming on my own and nutrition?

The personal trainer poo poo always seemed dumb as gently caress to me as to how actors get jacked.

Not discounting that there may have been gear involved, but being able to coordinate everything around training and nutrition is a pretty big deal on its own.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The salad the rich person tells you to eat has magical properties compared to the poor peasant salad you make for yourself

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Cobra Commander posted:

They hold your hand and tell you they love you while telling you what to eat and when. Not something a real man, a goddamn island, would really need.

*also TRT etc.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Cobra Commander posted:

They map your whole day out, tell you what/when to eat, hold your hand through training, have your meals prepared, tell you when to go to bed/when to wake up, and will definitely get you on TRT or some steroid for recovery so they can train you like an animal 6 days a week

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They promise they're not giving you steroids so you can keep a straight face during interviews.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cobra Commander posted:

give you plausible deniability.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also top actors will have a personal chef as well who will be making food to the exact specifications of the actors chef/nutritionist

Also also it's a lot easier to do stuff that sucks if it's your literal job, like Bulgarian weightlifters putting up with training to max for 8 hours a day every day because they're doing that instead of going to the factory for 8 hours a day every day

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*alarm goes off* Ahh what a beautiful weekday morning. Time to start my fitness routine. See you in 10 hours

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I pump my biceps until my heart gives out

Only when the ambulance comes to to pick me up will I rest

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
New year, re-assessing my routine. Which leads to this question: are any of the app-based workout routine programs any good?

I got an email from Bodbot hyping their app and subscription. While I remember using it some years ago and being satisfied, $40 a month sure is something. There's a flotilla of competitors, with a lot of "we use AI to generate a program just for you", and it would be nice to have something that tracks my progress and changes things up, but maybe I'd be better off doing the research myself. Opinions?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hybrid performance, I highly recommend it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

AI will always try to eventually kill it's user and exercise AI only has volume as a weapon. Which is exactly what I've heard from people using them.

First it was the self adjusting RP spreadsheets now you have apps trying to murder people with squats.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guyver posted:

AI will always try to eventually kill it's user and exercise AI only has volume as a weapon. Which is exactly what I've heard from people using them.

First it was the self adjusting RP spreadsheets now you have apps trying to murder people with squats.

Sounds like the AI would love to program in kettlebells, someone tell the programmer about them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
New year's resolution: Cardio/work capacity.

First session back after hibernation. Set of curls had me ready to puke. Shoulders & arms day was supposed to be easing me back into it!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Note: I have made this resolution before, and it always turns out I don't enjoy volume, frequency, short rest periods or actual cardio. And I get injured a lot.

At least I look alright and my lifts don't go down much.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm in the best shape of my life right now, but still haven't done a real serious strength routine and don't even know what my maxes are. So I guess I should try that, eh. It's not a promise more like a wish.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Do what u feel. I’m probably never going to test my actual1rm because I don’t compete

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Most of my 2019 was spend doing a long slow cut from a bulky 235 to a lean 185. I looked good for the beach and all, but I hated being so small.

So 2020 will be spent doing a long slow bulk from a lean 185 to a bulky 250.

Gotta get huge bro.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

barkbell posted:

Do what u feel. I’m probably never going to test my actual1rm because I don’t compete

But heavy singles are fun.

Heavy marrieds as well. But I'm not proud of that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

*alarm goes off* Ahh what a beautiful weekday morning. Time to start my fitness routine. See you in 10 hours

:same:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tipps posted:

Most of my 2019 was spend doing a long slow cut from a bulky 235 to a lean 185. I looked good for the beach and all, but I hated being so small.

So 2020 will be spent doing a long slow bulk from a lean 185 to a bulky 250.

Gotta get huge bro.
my 2020 is gonna be getting down to ~212-230 and just chilling there for all of eternity.

2019 was stressful professionally and I used food as my hobby/escape/instant joy and got fat as gently caress

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm going to get rid of my didactic belly fat, go from 200-185/180, and hopefully cut down the drinking by about 90%

running around in clinicals is helping.

also wanna get back into the c*ossf*t but i know that's verbotten here

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
2020: I'm gonna compete in a strongman competition or two, poo poo is fun

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm going to get rid of my didactic belly fat, go from 200-185/180, and hopefully cut down the drinking by about 90%

running around in clinicals is helping.

also wanna get back into the c*ossf*t but i know that's verbotten here

Find a real oly gym instead of crossfit.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Find a real oly gym instead of crossfit.

There's no oly gym near me, but my regular gym has platforms and some halfway decent oly bars.

im so loving fat now but drat i like squatting.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
There was a piece of turkey on the locker room floor this morning.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Lunch meat or something carved right off a bird?

This is important.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
It had texture so I think off the bird

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Rejoining this thread after nearly 2 years. Ended up moving from the US to Germany and couldn't find a gym I liked for about a year. Hoooly poo poo did my strength disappear. On the plus side, the gym is in city center and while I'm not the strongest, I'm definitely one of the heaviest lifter. Want to start kicking kids off the Squat rack when I get there.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FizFashizzle posted:

There's no oly gym near me, but my regular gym has platforms and some halfway decent oly bars.

im so loving fat now but drat i like squatting.

There was a powerlifter in you this whole time but you were just too scared to admit it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I like to watch the crossfit games

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1212769901414363136

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I had a pretty good start to the new year with a deadlift PR of 460x6. Still slowly bulking, averaging a bit over 200 right now, starting from 185 about 4 months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B61hoqegZrO/

Do I look fat or should I keep going until 215-220? Doing a meet in April, could keep bulking and compete in 220 class, and then cut a bit after so I look shredded for lake shenanigans this summer, then go back to bulking again after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I had a pretty good start to the new year with a deadlift PR of 460x6. Still slowly bulking, averaging a bit over 200 right now, starting from 185 about 4 months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B61hoqegZrO/

Do I look fat or should I keep going until 215-220? Doing a meet in April, could keep bulking and compete in 220 class, and then cut a bit after so I look shredded for lake shenanigans this summer, then go back to bulking again after.

More salami imo.