Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Helsing posted:

You cannot go around telling other posters to die. This has been a repeated issue with your posting and while I understand that you have a local perspective that informs your feelings the rule against wishing harm on other posters is enforced zero tolerance and you need to start respecting it.

Fyi the post he was responding to was some weird racist 'who cares what happens as long as both brown sides kill eachother gently caress em all,' which is one hella bad opinion to have. I for one am surprised someone would have a bad reaction to that and this is pretty loving typical of the amount of racist baiting that happens any time al saqr posts that never gets punished while he gets probated.

I haven't seen his unedited post so I'm not speaking to how deserving that was, but allowing the dynamic of people posting racist poo poo and calling someone who, in years of turning up here, has never expressed any sympathy for islamists an islamist is capital B bad.

America is almost too transparently trying to start a distraction war from the impeachment, ironically they might have misjudged how exhausted americans are of hearing about ME stuff so idk if it will carry the headlines like they hope. Doesn't help any of the people on the ground who are going to be party to this international shitshow

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what the gently caress happens now. can someone explain to me the political situation. i know PMU is basically the new republican guard and represents the interests of the Shia majority in iraq. i know parts of the goverment is in bed with iran and we have been at quiet war with iran in iraq for a while and now they basicaly won.

Lets see

Iran yells about this escalation threatens to close hormuz

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
US slaps new sanctions on Iran.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hahahaha three time's a charm :suicide:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1212895016496050176

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

If true, this was a very big decapitation strike. What the gently caress was Sardar Salami doing there?????

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Since when do we just assassinate random generals in cities, that seems ill-advised on even more levels than normal.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

They've been targets for a while. Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner even in previous administrations. That's big news if the reports are accurate.

Lambert posted:

US slaps new sanctions on Iran.

I think they just did. :v:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

cochise posted:

They've been targets for a while. Honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner even in previous administrations. That's big news if the reports are accurate.

Targets for sactions, not assassination. We are talking about the heads of PMU and IRGC respectively here.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh if that last name is the Qasem Soleimani that's a big, big, big loving deal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This feels like a declaration of war against Iran

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh if that last name is the Qasem Soleimani that's a big, big, big loving deal.
Isn't he the leader of Iran's military faction?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That one. Here he is with the other one.

Who is dead? According to this one..

https://twitter.com/mashanaljabouri/status/1212896580292009985

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

that tweet appears to be conflating Soleimani, who is the head of the Quds force within the IRGC, with Hossein Salami, who is the head of the full IRGC. Soleimani tends to handle most activity abroad so he'd be more likely to be in Iraq, but I'm really not sure who they think died. I'd hold off on jumping to conclusions here until there's more info.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There's no way. I refuse to believe that without confirmation. I don't think Trump's generals would allow that to happen, god knows what the results would be.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Let's hope it was the other one (although either is pretty big news if true). If the news about Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis are also true, this was definitely an Iranian delegation on those SUVs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Count Roland posted:

There's no way. I refuse to believe that without confirmation. I don't think Trump's generals would allow that to happen, god knows what the results would be.

The problem is that these kinds of things can't be perfectly managed like that. Maybe they didn't know he was going to come along on that trip. Maybe they thought it was one of his subordinates, etc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

poo poo does this mean we're gonna be stuck in Iran for the next decade??

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Grouchio posted:

Isn't he the leader of Iran's military faction?

Kinda. He is/was head of Quds which is pmuch Iran's CIA so he is/was responsible for Eastern Iraq and things like dealing with ISIS, smuggling missiles to Hezbollah, etc.

I'd wait for confirmation though.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Grouchio posted:

I doubt we'd put boots in Iran but Iraq will be the main battleground along with the strait.

So we'll be there for years and spend trillions of dollars, not to mention the thousands of lives.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/nafisehkBBC/status/1212904143414812673

https://twitter.com/RanjAlaaldin/status/1212903067005394944

poo poo

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 3, 2020

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

US forces expelled from Iraq by the end of the week?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news..

https://t.co/UMNRRATJGs?amp=1

1 AWACS
6 or 8 F-16
A frigate and 2 or 3 warships
1 or 2 submarine
3000 soldiers

Seems to be the consist for the Turkish operation in Libya.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

welp, Iran is definitely going to want to respond to this. Pity for Iraq they are likely to be the battlefield. That country really can't catch a break

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/qassem-soleimani-is-in-baghdad-to-choose-next-iraqi-pm-us-official/

4 weeks ago is when this was put into place.

Schenker said in an exclusive interview with Al-Arabiya and Al-Hadath that the commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Qassem Soleimani, “has a record of violating Iraqi sovereignty. He is in Baghdad to choose the next Iraqi prime minister, and this is unacceptable.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Squalid posted:

welp, Iran is definitely going to want to respond to this. Pity for Iraq they are likely to be the battlefield. That country really can't catch a break

seriously. what happens now? if we just mirked the leader of their CIA plus a bunch of other dudes. i assume it might be war. i mean the guy was a monster and got what was coming to him but jesus this is bad loving move.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Can anyone with more in depth knowledge than me of the two assassinated gentlemenexplain how this is such a big deal

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can anyone with more in depth knowledge than me of the two assassinated gentlemenexplain how this is such a big deal

Imagine if, while in Jordan, a car bomb killed the head of our CIA and the head of our liaison in the region.

Imagine we had been saber rattling with the responsible country for basically four decades, and the country responsible had recently torn up a diplomatic agreement for no real reason.

What would the expected response be?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Soleimani is basicaly the head of Irans CIA/spec ops and responsible for alot of the proxy conflicts in iraq and other places as well as syria. US had him on a kill list but never did it because he is a state official and pulling that trigger without a gently caress ton of cover would start poo poo. big.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Quassem is the leader of the quds. Which is Irans CIA basically. Since iran doesnt have a politival machine like the US hes basically a mattis type figure where there is almost no one who can replace him.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm easily one of the most uninformed readers of this thread and I instantly recognize the Iranian general's picture.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Not just a car bomb but a car bomb and then they say "yeah we did that, gently caress you!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Here's a New Yorker profile on Suleimani from 2013 that you might find useful. The entire piece is worth a read but here's a telling excerpt:

quote:

Despite all of Suleimani’s rough work, his image among Iran’s faithful is that of an irreproachable war hero—a decorated veteran of the Iran-Iraq War, in which he became a division commander while still in his twenties. In public, he is almost theatrically modest. During a recent appearance, he described himself as “the smallest soldier,” and, according to the Iranian press, rebuffed members of the audience who tried to kiss his hand. His power comes mostly from his close relationship with Khamenei, who provides the guiding vision for Iranian society. The Supreme Leader, who usually reserves his highest praise for fallen soldiers, has referred to Suleimani as “a living martyr of the revolution.” Suleimani is a hard-line supporter of Iran’s authoritarian system.

EDIT: Also seeing this tweet get passed around a lot. Not sure of the veracity but the source is a BBC Arabic correspondent: https://twitter.com/FerasKilaniBBC/status/1212904219537289216

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 3, 2020

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Qods force leader is dead

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The equivalent response from Iran is something along the lines of bombing a cabinet members delegation.

This is not a place Trump should have put the country. It’s IRRESPONSIBLY dangerous to a stupid degree.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lets just say we just killed franz ferdinand and in one universe it may be meaningless and life goes on. In others israel iron dome is about to be overwhelmed and iraqi PMUs are about to rise up.

Also the possibility of a mass mining of the hormuz or mass missiling tankers.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also the possibility of a mass mining of the hormuz or mass missiling tankers.

Wouldn't this run the risk of pulling US allies that would normally sit on the sideline into the conflict?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

US had him on a kill list but never did it because he is a state official and pulling that trigger without a gently caress ton of cover would start poo poo. big.

The cover for this from Trump is going to be that Obama put him on the kill list but could never get it done.

TRUMP could get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seriously. what happens now? if we just mirked the leader of their CIA plus a bunch of other dudes. i assume it might be war. i mean the guy was a monster and got what was coming to him but jesus this is bad loving move.

well I think it's important to look at this in the context of the protests and political maneuvering in Baghdad. Alongside the protests at the US embassy Iranian aligned politicians were also making the argument that US forces needed to be expelled from Iraq. That will be Iran's big push -- get US soldiers out of Iraq and away from Iran. They want to solidify their relationship with Iraq and turn the country into a more solid ally.

I'm not sure what Trump is thinking. However I was reading Brookings Institute opinion piece recently about the Iraq protests in which the author saw the protests as an opportunity for the US to pull Iraq away from Iran. How they react to this will be key to the long term consequences of these actions. If this turns ordinary Iraqis further against the US, it could undermine all the American diplomacy now going on behind the scenes.