Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

pik_d posted:

Julian Weigl to Benfica is a Done Deal :wtc:

https://twitter.com/BVB/status/1212033191722332167

And Ibra to AC Milan but probably nobody cares about that

Everyone here is completely floored by this, because our perception is that weigl is way too good to play in our poo poo league. Odds on him staying more than 18 months are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Weigl to Benfica feels bizarre but maybe he’s plateau’d. Witsel pushed him out of the Dortmund side and he’s never made inroads in Germany’s.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess it’s time for the Thomas Lemar biannual transfer rumors. Looks like he’s netted 3 goals since Atletico spunked 80m on him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Weigl was living off a six month purple patch and wonderkid hype. 24 year old player with "potential".

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Man United are at the front of the line for Emre Can.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

You take that back! HANDSOME EMRE WILL ALWAYS BE A SCOUSER.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

lmao speaking of midfielders with no end product

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Can was mostly mediocre but would inexplicably score a worldie like twice a year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Can was mostly mediocre but would inexplicably score a worldie like twice a year.

I've said it before but the thing to understand about Can (at least at Liverpool, I haven't seen him since he went to Juve) is that he has unshakable self-confidence and believes he's an amazing footballer, but he isn't. So he'll try dribbling around ten players and lose the ball, he'll try ambitious 50-yard through passes that go straight out of play, and he'll take ten long shots a game that fly into the stands. But like once every few games one of those things works and he looks like a top top top player for five seconds. You could make a great highlight reel of Can's occasional best moments, but actually watching him for a full game 90% of what he does is lose the ball and foul people.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

I've said it before but the thing to understand about Can (at least at Liverpool, I haven't seen him since he went to Juve) is that he has unshakable self-confidence and believes he's an amazing footballer, but he isn't. So he'll try dribbling around ten players and lose the ball, he'll try ambitious 50-yard through passes that go straight out of play, and he'll take ten long shots a game that fly into the stands. But like once every few games one of those things works and he looks like a top top top player for five seconds. You could make a great highlight reel of Can's occasional best moments, but actually watching him for a full game 90% of what he does is lose the ball and foul people.

That's Emre Can alright

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

Remember when Brenden Rodgers referred to him as "a Rolls-Royce" of a footballer? LOL.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He could’ve been great but probably doesn’t have the brain to accomplish it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sticksy posted:

Remember when Brenden Rodgers referred to him as "a Rolls-Royce" of a footballer? LOL.

A giant money sink that only looks good at a glance?

Yep sounds about right.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

Yep sounds about right.

Dammit, beaten

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

CyberPingu posted:

Yep sounds about right.

i mean he's a physical specimen, so he's like a roll royce but only if there was a 5 year old at the wheel

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

lmao speaking of midfielders with no end product

He fulfills the two necessary categories ATM:

[x] is alive
[x] is not Nemanja Matic

E: apparently Juve have offered 53 million + Emre Can for Pogba, which IMO is about 30-40 million too little in today's market. Unless they value Emre Can at 50-60 million, which would be the most Juve thing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 3, 2020

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Der Shovel posted:

[x] is alive
[x] is not Nemanja Matic

E: apparently Juve have offered 53 million + Emre Can for Pogba, which IMO is about 30-40 million too little in today's market. Unless they value Emre Can at 50-60 million, which would be the most Juve thing.

It would but also Pogba: Manchester United Edition is fairly loving bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

[x] is alive
[x] is not Nemanja Matic

*finger curls on monkey's paw*

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1213075695238307840
sounds like they're going to play him as one of the overlapping CBs

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

trem_two posted:

Yeah, there will be lots of overlapping alright with Rodwell - the physio and bandages, lol

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gigi Galli posted:

It would but also Pogba: Manchester United Edition is fairly loving bad

It’d be criminal to keep him locked up in Manchester with the disrespect he’s received, maybe if he moved to a continental league he could develop a bit, idk

Certainly worth the plunk from Juve imho

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

It’d be criminal to keep him locked up in Manchester with the disrespect he’s received, maybe if he moved to a continental league he could develop a bit, idk

Certainly worth the plunk from Juve imho

What's Juve's midfield like these days? Is it as well suited for a luxury player like Pogba?

(As you can see I am reaching back into my United poster tropes from 2018 about how Pogba can only play on the left of a 3 where he can do what the gently caress he wants also he's world class and Mourinho just plays him wrong)

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

Poor Chris Wilder. :( I don’t think this was a smart move.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bundy posted:

What's Juve's midfield like these days? Is it as well suited for a luxury player like Pogba?

(As you can see I am reaching back into my United poster tropes from 2018 about how Pogba can only play on the left of a 3 where he can do what the gently caress he wants also he's world class and Mourinho just plays him wrong)

Considering we still have Can on the books, Khedira is old, Rabiot might be loving off, and then Ramsey/Pjanic as solid, attack-minded midfielders, I think Pogba would absolutely find his way back into the starting XI, and probably balanced against a more attack minded midfielder and a more defensive minded midfielder, so that Pogba can do what he wants

I don’t think he has ever been a luxury player at Juve, especially not like Big Ron (who we never ever needed).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Fattia Destro is finalizing a loan move to Genoa tomorrow. Obligatory:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MrStephenHowson/status/1213904120110878728
:laugh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/ChronicleNUFC/status/1214150986253639680

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hell just being back Daryl Murphy and Shefki Kuqi

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1214210841538641922?s=19

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lad earns more than half our first team as it is and they want us to pay him for every goal he scores and give him guaranteed gametime. Falling for the big club hype and branding, Renato Sanches sequel incoming.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He’s got big club energy and that’s worth a lot in TYOOL 2020 tbf.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
the athletic are saying united want to bring in Winks this window. he'd definitely improve their current midfield situation. he's not the greatest player but I would really hate to see him go tbh. 'he's one of our own', and he always gives his all when he's on the pitch. plus it's unlikely wanyama ever plays for us again so that leaves Dier as our only DM. lord knows Mou is pressuring Levy to work out a swap deal for Matic as we speak tho

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1214541334427684864

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Reports that Jesse Lingard is on his way out, with Milan being the likely destination (AC that is).

Maybe he can get his JLINGZ clothing line into the milanese fashion shops?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Reports that Jesse Lingard is on his way out, with Milan being the likely destination (AC that is).

As poo poo as he's been for over a year, United's midfield is currently so thin that I can't really see this happening.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Der Shovel posted:

Italy already has enough issues with immigrants peddling cheap clothing

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

As poo poo as he's been for over a year, United's midfield is currently so thin that I can't really see this happening.

It's 6s/8s we have zero of and Lingard is neither.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bundy posted:

He's a massive number two

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

TBF United also don't have a lot of number 10s, but then again Lingard isn't really one of those either so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

TBF United also don't have a lot of number 10s

True, but do have more players fit capable of playing there (to some degree or another) than in actual midfield.

Revisionism again though. It wasn't that long ago Lingard was one of the best players on the pitch against City and Spurs. I don't see how you get consistent performances from creative players when the midfield is so inconsistent and hosed right now.