Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Straight White Shark posted:

I would have been very tempted to say "fine, hire a $15/hr babysitter and I'll pay for them out of my freelance earnings. Merry Christmas."

It's more than they deserve, but it lets you appear gracious while also flexing on them over spending power.

Why be gracious? Just flip them off and walk away. They just belittled you while asking you for help.

Also call cps if they do something stupid like leaving them with you without your permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (30/F) mother (58/F) was deliberately disrespectful to me and my husband (30/M) on our wedding day three weeks ago and now that we're back in town it's like she thinks nothing happened.

More of a low-key dis than I expected, but your mom sounds like a textbook narcissist. Have fun with that now that you've made it official she's no longer the center of your universe.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my sister that her beating breast cancer was not impressive and not inspirational?

Three years ago my older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Within six months her cancer was cleared. She had minor radiAtion and then hormone therapy afterwards. She is 100% fine and healthy no need for surgery.

We all came together and supported her during this time. Now, the thing has been is that she hasn’t stopped to remind us constantly about how she is a cancer survivor. And has made it her identity.

She has since plastered it all over social media. I don’t mind it because I can choose to ignore it.

But this holiday season she was insufferable. My breaking point happened when my dad who has been dealing with nerve problems was telling us how physical therapy wasn’t working for him and he will likely need to get surgery. My sister started bringing up her cancer story again.

I snapped and told her that her surviving breast cancer was not impressive nor inspiration, it has a survival rate of 96% and to stop making everything about her story.

My sister walked out of the room. I thought my family would back me up but instead my parents backed up my sister. My dad didn’t say anything but he was on my sisters side. I don’t know maybe what I said wasn’t the nicest way but I don’t think I was wrong in what I said.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my sister that her beating breast cancer was not impressive and not inspirational?
Classic "you're not exactly wrong but you're a total rear end in a top hat" scenario.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

please knock Mom! posted:

Why be gracious? Just flip them off and walk away. They just belittled you while asking you for help.

Also call cps if they do something stupid like leaving them with you without your permission.

It's absolutely a case of 'You're a GIRL, babysitting for a token wage is your natural role'.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for lying that I was the adult in charge?

I told my wife this story and she thinks I'm TA for getting involved. I disagree.

Yesterday I took my daughters (9 & 7) to McDonald's. We grabbed a table in the play area next to a table of kids. The oldest was probably 16 with the youngest being 8ish. They were eating Happy Meals and drinking shakes.

After eating, my kids went to play and ended up in a game of tag with the kids next to us. The oldest was reading a book while her siblings played. Other kids joined in. One child, who looked about 10, tried playing. At first the other kids played with this child, but after awhile it appeared that they were leaving him out. He would continue running after being tagged. When the other kids explained to him that he was "it" he started screaming and running around them, flapping his arms like a bird. I called my oldest over to ask what was going on, and she told me they didn't want to play with him anymore because he wasn't following the rules. She also pointed out that he had taken off his socks and had climbed up the slide, blocking the other kids from getting away.

While talking to my daughter, the mother of the child being left out marched up to the group of kids and asked who was in charge. It seemed to be a boy around 10 or 11. She asked him why he was leaving her child out. I could hear him telling her it was because her child wasn't following the rules and also he was pushing some of the younger kids who were playing. She called him a bully and asked where his parents were. He said his parents weren't there but his big sister was and pointed at his oldest sibling at the table next to mine. The mother marched over, looked at the girl and said, "Well you aren't old enough to supervise these children so you have to leave." The girl replied, "My siblings aren't misbehaving. Your kid is, so no, we aren't leaving." The mother then left the play area and returned with a manager. The manager approached the girl and asked if she was 18, to which she responded she was not. The manager then told her that they had to leave, and the girl said, "That isn't fair. We're customers too and it isn't us being bad. Her kid is the one being mean to the others." The manager replied, "All children in the play area must be accompanied by an adult. You are not an adult, so you have to eat outside the play area."

This is where I stepped in. I stood up and said, "I'm a friend of the family and these kids are under my supervision." I went on to explain that the kids were playing an all-inclusive game of tag, but the other child wasn't following the rules and made it not fun for everyone else. I also mentioned that he had taken off his socks (against the rules) and was blocking the slide as well as pushing some of the smaller children. The manager then returned to the mother. I couldn't hear their conversation, but the mother ended up leaving with her child shortly afterwards.

So AITA for lying that I was the adult in charge?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
AITA for telling a mcdonalds manager a kid took off their socks

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ugh the brother who calls his sister stupid and asks for her help. I hate him.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for confronting a coworker after a company pot luck?

So, our company was having a Christmas pot luck and everyone brought something of their own to it. Pretty standard.

Unfortunately, not enough planning was involved and while my coworkers were enjoying the pot luck, I verbally volunteered to sit out for a bit and cover the walk-in customer service portion of my workplace. About a hour goes by and when the people who I was covering for got back, I made my way up to the front office.

Along the way, a coworker asked me if I got any of the lunch. I said no because I was just covering the back. He tells me that the food is all gone and he didn't get any either.

I make my way to where the food was and there was a single aluminum tray that was covered. I assumed it was the food all consolidated into one container so I open it. Then a coworker comes over and puts her hand on the lid, closing it and then said "Don't touch that!" I asked "is this not the food from the pot luck?" She says "it's the leftovers." So I said "Ok, cool. I haven't had any so I'll just grab some of this." She says "No. I'm taking this home, it's for my husband. He is working a 16 hour shift today and he's going to come home hungry." I reply with "So, your husband, who doesn't work here, is getting food that everyone else brought in for the company pot luck while people WITHIN the company aren't getting any of it?" She says "Like I said he is coming home from a 16 hour work shift and you had a hour to grab some."

This got me a little upset and I retaliated with "I was covering the back so everyone could enjoy their meal. Both ____ and I never got any food. Is your husband 10 years old and can't feed himself? Or pick something up on his way home? He has to rely on you to provide food, that isn't even yours to take, for him? I'm only half done my coffee, does he want that too? God forbid he has to put water into the coffee maker at home."

She replied with "It's not my fault you covered the back and didn't get any. Maybe you should think about taking some back with you next time instead of complaining about it." That's when another coworker very calmly told us to back off each other and take a breather.

The woman who had the leftovers has been going around to coworkers telling them how much of an rear end in a top hat I am for confronting her like that and was visibly upset with me.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just take the food what is she going to do hit you? It's yours. You work there.

Or order something cause it's not worth the fight. But don't start the fight then still not take the food.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

her husband worked a lot tho.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It's rural US, you can't say for sure that the cousin's husband isn't the OP's brother.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's rural US, you can't say for sure that the cousin's husband isn't the OP's brother.

The defining moment of "The Dukes of Hazard" television series was near the beginning of the first episode, when Bo Duke remarks that if Daisy wasn't his cousin, he would ask her to marry him, and she replies that it has never stopped anyone in their family before.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I just get a kick out of people that fall over themselves to rush to correct a gender mixup completely irrelevant to the story.

:byodood: it ALWAYS matters

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Everyone in the company sucks for not making a courtesy plate for the folks that had to cover.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just get a kick out of people that fall over themselves to rush to correct a gender mixup completely irrelevant to the story.

It's less about adding proper context and more about shaming posters who can't bother to pay attention to the stories they're commenting on.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for accidentally letting a group of girls run up a HUGE bar tab on NYE?

Alright, so I was at a club/bar that my friend is hostess/bartender at. That night she was working behind the bar but she had texted me that they had a small booth still not reserved and I could get it for cheap with bottle service. She's hooked me up like that before and I hopped on it. NYE, booth, bottle service. Surely a packed house, and I'll have a reserved seat. I was all over it. Not going to lie and as a single dude it's a nice little setup to talk to women that have mutual interest.

So, I'm mingling by the bar with this group of 3 girls who are all friends. We are having a decent enough conversation and they are talking about how they are all from out of town from California and one girl was from Willow Creek. At this point we literally say, "the home of Bigfoot."(I'm a bit of a conspiracy theory nut) After this we all laugh, and such then I jokingly say, "that's it ALL drinks on me for Bigfoot's neighbors." We all laugh and then I motion for my friend to come over then I buy a round of drinks on my tab.

After the drinks I moved back to my booth and didn't talk to them anymore. I did see they had met a group of three guys and they looked like they had joined up. But, more drinks. More fun. Countdown. All that jazz. Later in the night I'm talking to another woman in the booth. And, I can see the three girls darting straight towards me.

Apparently, one of the girls had opened a tab and went to close out because they were leaving then got hit with something like a $1,200 bar tab. They were buying drinks all night thinking I was going to pay for it all and my friend was putting on their tab not mine. They wanted me to go up to the bar and explain the situation. I told them I wouldn't because that was obviously a joke that I would pay for all their drinks and I hadn't seen them all night and barely knew them there's no way I'm paying that.

They called me an rear end in a top hat and all kinds of names I could barely believe. My favorite was the insulting of my wiener size. The woman I was sitting with left to get away from the drama and at this point security steps in telling them to chill out or get kicked out. They leave me alone and I sneak out when I'm ready to leave to avoid anymore drama with them.

But, I'm conflicted I really don't think I owed them anything but I guess in an alternate universe I can understand thinking they had a blank check... maybe? I don't know. Even with a blank check I would have gotten a few drinks. Not the bottles and so on they got.

So, AITA?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for accidentally letting a group of girls run up a HUGE bar tab on NYE?

He is an rear end in a top hat and the girls are stupid for believing.

He should have thrown in a few hundred to help, because it was his own drat fault.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 3, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I kinda wanna hear the actual delivery. The way OP all-capses "ALL drinks" does make it seem more serious/earnest. Like if this was a bar where Wall Street / Goldman types frequent, I could see it not being that crazy of a boast.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I like how he doesn't even change up the story a bit to make it sound like there was no way he could've misled them.

Even puts the emphasis on the word 'all' in his version of what he told them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Just going to guess that a bunch of redditors called OP an rear end in a top hat for not immediately caving and begging for forgiveness

Should have started just eating it on the spot

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

As someone who makes good on offers like that, you always double check that the offer is sincere before you clean them out.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah, if you don't do the doublecheck and proceed anyway, it's p. clear you were trying to pull one over.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I somewhat forgive ALL the drinks guy because there's no honest way anyone interprets that as meaning 'oh also put 3 random guys on my tab too'. Which is, I assume, how the tab got to $1200. Although I'm still unsure how you spend $200 in a night on drinks. That's a lot of martinis.

quote:

During the ceremony we had specifically asked that people turn their phones off. It was less than ten minutes from start to end. Everyone else had respected our wishes but of course ... my mother's phone started ringing during the vows. She casually answered it and walked off in front of everyone. People were staring and there were a few whispers and alarmed looks thrown around but we carried on.

lawyer.txt

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 3, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I kinda wanna hear the actual delivery. The way OP all-capses "ALL drinks" does make it seem more serious/earnest. Like if this was a bar where Wall Street / Goldman types frequent, I could see it not being that crazy of a boast.

He specifically wanted to play pretend high roller without actually ponying up.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my brother out in front of family for acting like an alt-right extremist obsessed with the "boogaloo"?

My brother (Alan, 29M) is a complicated guy. He was a big troublemaker in high school and early college, which ended up with him going to prison for a year, and probation for 10 years. He eventually got out, got his degree, and joined a big company in the southeastern United States, all while still on probation. He eventually got off of probation, and immediately started spending huge chunks of his paychecks on buying and building custom semi-automatic rifles and pistols. My family has a number of LEOs and military, so we all generally lean to the right. They support his very eccentric gun-buying behavior, even when he puts himself in tight spots financially. All of that to say that he's got a grudge against the left, the government, and society in general.

I flew back to the southeast with my wife for Christmas, and we met my parents, brothers, and others at my uncle's house where we were all staying. Alan decides to say that his rifles are built specifically to help him survive "The Boogaloo". He makes multiple subtle anti-Semitic and racist jokes, and mentions his interest in joining a militia that operates in that state. He says these things so much that it makes my wife visibly uncomfortable when around Alan and Brad.

So incident where I want to know if I ATA:

The day after Christmas, Alan brings up the subject of the "Boogaloo" with most of the family members present, while we're all relaxing after dinner together. He talks about using his rifle to protect himself, his girlfriend, and to "fight the corrupted, Jew-filled government. He goes on to say that the number of Jews claimed to have been murdered in WW2 by the Nazis is inaccurate and blown out of proportion. He goes on to say that his gf wants to move back to Washington state, where her friends and family live. Alan says he won't move there, because it's not a "free state". He wants to move to Idaho, buy a bunch of property in the middle of the wilderness, and live there free from the "infiltrated American population by people of certain ethnicities that don't belong". I finally snapped. I told him to "shut up and stop spewing your anti-Semitic and racist bullshit". I told him I didn't care that we were brothers, and that I would report him to local authorities and post his Gab account and its comments on social media so that everyone would know to avoid him, and why. My brother called me an rear end in a top hat after my wife and I went back up to our room, and my parents said that while Alan was saying things that appeared extreme, he is free to believe that, and want me to apologize to him for what I said. I refused, and we left the next morning to stay with my grandparents that lived not too far away.

My dad is a Fed. He's admitted to me that my brother has been on a government watchlist for a few years now. Mostly because of his online activity, including his frequent weapons acquisitions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for calling my brother out in front of family for acting like an alt-right extremist obsessed with the "boogaloo"?

my parents said that while Alan was saying things that appeared extreme, he is free to believe that...
NTA. Don't apologize.
Oh, and if he's free to believe that, bro is free to do exactly what he threatened (GAB links, social media shitstorm) so he can own up to it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My dad is a Fed. He's admitted to me that my brother has been on a government watchlist for a few years now. Mostly because of his online activity, including his frequent weapons acquisitions.

Fuckin Alan will never get in the militias with the man into his movements.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

nah it matters because it's a young girl in a lovely rural family but go ahead and not read the poo poo you're commenting on

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i do love that the title is "acting like an alt-right extremist", dude, your brother is a full on, 100% Nazi. He's not acting. He wants to murder Jews and LGBT people.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrQwerty posted:

nah it matters because it's a young girl

I want to stay on this precision train and say that there's no need to call a 24yo probably college grad a young girl.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Maybe you should not warn your felon brother about your plan to report his illegal weapons to the police. Just a thought.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I want to stay on this precision train and say that there's no need to call a 24yo probably college grad a young girl.

alright so it's a 24 year old girl in a lovely rural family

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My brother (Alan, 29M) is a complicated guy. He was a big troublemaker in high school and early college, which ended up with him going to prison for a year, and probation for 10 years. He eventually got out, got his degree, and joined a big company in the southeastern United States, all while still on probation. He eventually got off of probation, and immediately started spending huge chunks of his paychecks on buying and building custom semi-automatic rifles and pistols. My family has a number of LEOs and military, so we all generally lean to the right. They support his very eccentric gun-buying behavior, even when he puts himself in tight spots financially. All of that to say that he's got a grudge against the left, the government, and society in general.

I flew back to the southeast with my wife for Christmas, and we met my parents, brothers, and others at my uncle's house where we were all staying. Alan decides to say that his rifles are built specifically to help him survive "The Boogaloo". He makes multiple subtle anti-Semitic and racist jokes, and mentions his interest in joining a militia that operates in that state. He says these things so much that it makes my wife visibly uncomfortable when around Alan and Brad.

So incident where I want to know if I ATA:

The day after Christmas, Alan brings up the subject of the "Boogaloo" with most of the family members present, while we're all relaxing after dinner together. He talks about using his rifle to protect himself, his girlfriend, and to "fight the corrupted, Jew-filled government. He goes on to say that the number of Jews claimed to have been murdered in WW2 by the Nazis is inaccurate and blown out of proportion. He goes on to say that his gf wants to move back to Washington state, where her friends and family live. Alan says he won't move there, because it's not a "free state". He wants to move to Idaho, buy a bunch of property in the middle of the wilderness, and live there free from the "infiltrated American population by people of certain ethnicities that don't belong". I finally snapped. I told him to "shut up and stop spewing your anti-Semitic and racist bullshit". I told him I didn't care that we were brothers, and that I would report him to local authorities and post his Gab account and its comments on social media so that everyone would know to avoid him, and why. My brother called me an rear end in a top hat after my wife and I went back up to our room, and my parents said that while Alan was saying things that appeared extreme, he is free to believe that, and want me to apologize to him for what I said. I refused, and we left the next morning to stay with my grandparents that lived not too far away.

your insane racist brother has given you a chance to :sever:, I recommend you take it
and sever from your insane family that keeps enabling him and wants you to apologize

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think the worst part is that Dad is a Fed that knows his son is on a watch list but still stood up to him.

:sever: all ties imo

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MrQwerty posted:

alright so it's a 24 year old girl in a lovely rural family
Woman a 24 year old is a woman. Also she wasn't the sister, her cousin had 3 kids and the cousin's husband condescended to her.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

HardDiskD posted:

I think the worst part is that Dad is a Fed that knows his son is on a watch list but still stood up to him.

:sever: all ties imo

why do you think? cops don't do poo poo about this

quote:

My wife has always been uncomfortable around him because of his views. Family is family, though, and she's fine so long as others are around.

lmao 'family is family, even if they're brandishing guns around screaming about mass murder, it'll be fine'

nobody in this story besides the wife actually objects to the brother's desires

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah I don't buy the Fed dad story at all. I sort of assume some process happens if your own family member is placed on a terrorism watchlist.