Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

They're would also be no point as the profit motive isn't there.

I mean, don't buy from the Ferengi, obviously.

Sounds like someone needs to work on their faith in the Great Material Continuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nessus posted:

It's someone in the middle, which tends to be where all the romance of the family farmer lives, who gets hosed.

Exactly! Except I don't really see it as "romance of the family farmer" as much as "livelihood of millions of people," and I think that's exactly why it's so hosed - it's specifically designed to be a fleabite for huge farms, but can be massively detrimental to smaller farms, and the last thing in the world we need is more incentive for small farms to collapse and maybe, if they're lucky, have their land and equipment bought out by King Ranch.

Also, not to nit-pick, but the point of the software lockout thing isn't that you need a full-time tech on your payroll, it's that you specifically need someone on John Deere's payroll to come in and press a button on his JD-issued computer that shows your company paid the fee to have this done. Again, trivial for King Ranch, but not for Nessus Farms. The article specifically mentions that it costs $230 just for the service call, plus $130/hr, and that's without the cost of the part itself. If you're feeding a family on the $30-40k your 5-goat farm pulls in, that's not a small cost.

e: anyway I sincerely apologize for the massive derail, right-to-repair is something I feel pretty strongly about so I tend to blab about it.

e2: Star Trek: use of non-OEM stem bolts will void the warranty on this replicator

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 2, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's not an unreasonable derail though I'd be curious on what French farm practices look like just to loop it back to Picard. Of course a vineyard is a different kettle of fish entirely - you can move livestock around and you don't permanently crop with the corn/soybeans combo pack we're so fond of in the real middle parts of America the way you do with vines or orchards.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm honestly a bit curious what the timeframes for harvesting are in either a vineyard or a farm. Like, in reality, if your harvesting equipment breaks down 10% of the way through your field, are you frantically racing to get it fixed or the unharvested stuff will go overripe or otherwise go to waste? Or is it just more of an inconvenience? I'd imagine you'd have to deal with the logistics of rescheduling transport and storage, etc. as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm honestly a bit curious what the timeframes for harvesting are in either a vineyard or a farm. Like, in reality, if your harvesting equipment breaks down 10% of the way through your field, are you frantically racing to get it fixed or the unharvested stuff will go overripe or otherwise go to waste? Or is it just more of an inconvenience? I'd imagine you'd have to deal with the logistics of rescheduling transport and storage, etc. as well.
I imagine the details vary but in general you're trying to get everything at its peak quality, which can vary in various ways depending on the crop. If you just let it sit out there it'll eventually go bad, but you also want it to be its best condition. A rainy patch at a bad time can give you a big economic hit, and a few days' delay might mean your corn is going to be a different and less valuable grade.

Given the scale of a lot of farms you also don't really have a backup plan of "get out there with some old tools and hustle," either.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Find out the answers to these questions, and more, this season on Picard!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To this day, I think Q's best insult is "you obtuse piece of flotsam."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Eat any good books lately?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

all of the tng and beyond UIs are just ways for the ship to trick the humans into thinking they are doing anything useful

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You ever notice how in WoK Joaquin spends the entire movie managing Khan like he’s an abusive father with anger management issues?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Bloop posted:

Eat any good books lately?

Ahh drat your eyes, I was just about to type this!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I think Q's best insult is *appears on the bridge with a full mariachi band tootling a trumpet*

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Fully Automated Gay Space Communists will be able to diagnose and explain how to fix a basic LCARS issue over the communicator.

"Dad? Dad. You have to vent the plasma relays. Then turn it off and turn it back on."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Son I opened up the console and it’s just filled with rocks and superheated plasma.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

“Son I opened up the console and it’s just filled with rocks and superheated plasma.”

Holy poo poo dude, get an expendable ensign to come get exploded, you don't have the training

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jfc dad that's the warp core that's literally on the opposite side of engineering *stabbing combadge into forehead*

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Son what's the deal with this big omega symbol that keeps popping up, do I have a virus?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

how did you even get the warp core open?! it's not even supposed to open!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SlothfulCobra posted:

In my lifetime, mice have lost their balls and grown wheels

WHAT

oh

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Son what's the deal with this big omega symbol that keeps popping up, do I have a virus?

Hello, I am a former Klingon High council members and unfortunately left stranded on a nearby moon. if you forwrad me 5 bars of latinum plus your bank of bolus number, I will pay you back for a shuttle trip plus extra for the effort.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fwd: fwd: fwd: Fwd: fwd: Starfleet command controlled by alien neck bugs, changelings

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I forgot how mean Jadzia's death is and feels almost retaliatory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

Shoulda gotten stabbed through the back with a big sword by Jenova/Sephiroth the Pah-Wraiths/Dukat.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The future of user interfaces is three buttons. Every copy of the software collects user habits and telemetry (eye tracking etc) which a learning AI uses to perfectly predict the only three things you might want to do next.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's super lovely, and some people I think incorrectly ascribe fandom dislike of Ezri to... whatever, when it's really the obvious bad taste left from how shallowly lovely Jadzia's death was. I mean it's super blatantly retaliatory.

Ezri's fine but Jadzia was a good character (I will fight for this :argh:) and the show is just lovely to her at that point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jadzia is a great character who frequently got bad episodes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jadzia is a great character who frequently got bad episodes.

She's the biggest jock on the show and that's so loving funny for the science officer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snow Cone Capone posted:

how did you even get the warp core open?! it's not even supposed to open!

the hell are you talking about

Mooseontheloose posted:

There's a dark irony in how, to a person, nobody involved with Trek has ever had anything good to say about Tasha Yar's death - and I'm pretty sure Ron Moore's publicly said it was badly done - and then DS9 turned around and pulled a Tasha Yar on Jadzia.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has Trek ever done a death well aside from Spock?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MikeJF posted:

Worf snapping Weyoun’s neck.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The Enterprise in Beyond died pretty historic.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Edith Keeler.

General Chang for quoting Shakespeare until the moment of impact.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The franchise in nemesis.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arglebargle III posted:

The franchise in nemesis.

Just bathed in faileron radiation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Martok changeling who got shot til they exploded by disruptor pistols.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One aspect I liked about TNG engineering was how you had this gigantic warp core to contain the reaction, and when you get to the area it actually happens it's really tiny and fragile looking because anti-matter is loving powerful stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just want to give a quick update to my "Trek newbie watches DS9" series and say that I took a holiday break a few weeks back when we stopped watching DS9 to watch a lot of Game Of The Year type stuff and also oh yes have appearances with family. The next episode we are to watch is 'Accession'.

I'll just quickly throw a couple thoughts down:
I've written about them plenty already, but Way of the Warrior followed up immediately by The Visitor was like the best three hours of TV I've seen in a while that didn't rely on blowing up things in an expensive manner.

Hippocratic Oath: It's interesting that we keep learning about the Dominion through the eyes of the JemHadar. Considering the stunts they've pulled at the end of seasons 2 and 3 you'd think the writers would want to lean a bit more on the other Dominion species we saw, if just to not overexpose the JemHadar.

Indiscretion: Kira and Ducat take a trip out to that rocky valley of the high desert that's where Kirk fought Gorn, and where the Power Rangers fought the putty patrol. This episode is clearly setting up plotlines that will be resolved later (at least I hope they will?). The masked guys who reminded me of the raiders on Tattooine are pretty boring, and it seems like they would have real trouble keeping out saboteurs if a pairing as unlikely as a Bajoran and Cardassian can infiltrate together.

Rejoined: A bottle episode, but a good one. Every episode of Dax's past lives is always sort of a letdown because while they do give us background on the character it's almost always irrelevant on an episode to episode basis. Telling us that Dax's hosts have been very wise or very diplomatic doesn't change the fact that much of Jadzia's dialogue is typical science officer stuff.So it was nice to focus on a time of her history that actually has relevance to the here and now. This is also Star Trek's gesture to the queer community, apparently, but man that is so minimal.

The Sword of Kahless: Everyone going crazy when they hold the sword is so blatantly obvious before they spell it out for you. I actually kind of wish they had done the film horror trope of the sword audibly whispering madness, I would have forgiven them the cheesy trope if they did it entirely in Klingon language.

Homefront/Paradise Lost: Is this the closest we've come to seeing the Federation's administration? I get that Star Trek technology means that Earth has changed into a place where you can teleport anywhere immediately, but it still seems a little odd that the entire planet's power systems can be disabled by the cool kid's table at the cadets academy. This episode lures you in with the idea of the Founders making it to Earth, and indeed all we know is that the Founders actually are on Earth, and that's it. There's ultimately nothing that can be done about it, and the only reason we know it's true is because one decided to show up just to "neener-neener" at Sisko about it. The real focus of this episode is on how Men's Wearhouse Guy wants to save Earth from the Dominion by making Starfleet a hell of a lot like the Dominion. And he'll fight until... the Defiant disables his old-rear end Excelsior class ship. My other note was the sort of funny direction to have Rene stand off to the side of a videowall while Sisko has a Skype call with the higher-ups, since Odo could become an actual fly on the wall.

Crossfire: I had a bunch of incel/cuckoldry memes fired up for this one. The world doesn't need another Joker stairs image, though.

Return to Grace: This episode is pretty good, and makes the most of the new normal of Klingon antagonists. Is being able to teleport an entire bridge out at once really that legit, though? Doesn't matter, I appreciated it. It's some good development of Ducat, who was being stooged too frequently to keep doing that but is also kind of a dick who doesn't deserve anything good happening to him.

Sons of Mogh: Kind of rough, though Tony Todd brings it yet again. The first half of Sisko reading Worf the riot act sounded like a Picard rant, and I kind of wondered if this wasn't a recycled TNG plot. The level of brain science on this show is something else.

Bar Association: This episode kind of necessitates Quark being a bigger rear end in a top hat than he usually is in order to hammer down the need for what happens. I'm not going to poke holes in a "babby's first union" episode when it has a Ferenghi read Marx. I'm glad Rom gets some character development at last, but I won't lie that I doubt his claim that he'll be around. His career change seems more like a way to work him out of the show.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 3, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a dark irony in how, to a person, nobody involved with Trek has ever had anything good to say about Tasha Yar's death - and I'm pretty sure Ron Moore's publicly said it was badly done - and then DS9 turned around and pulled a Tasha Yar on Jadzia.

She's authorized to open the warp core, my dad is emphatically not!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rom's importance does genuinely skyrocket from here on out!

And the point of the Sword of Kahless is that it isn't literally cursed and doesn't need to be; the point is its significance and potential brings out the worst in Worf and Kor, and is a microcosm of the kind of conflicts it would trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to like Sword of Kahless - an Indiana Jones adventure, Klingon-style, should be fun, but the idea that Worf was seriously considering betraying and murdering Kor for power - and a fairly dubious opportunity for power at that - without any outside influence affecting him is just an absurd take on the character.