Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Eulogistics posted:

Oh its certainly in our national interests to know what he was doing in Iraq, and he was probably doing some evil poo poo, because he was an evil poo poo doer (special-ops/intelligence) . That being said, openly assassinating him and then smugly posting our flag on twitter was probably not the optimal play to commit to with the knowledge of his location.

Fallom posted:

Seeing lots of people angling for the reflexive “IRGC must be good if what Trump did is bad”

The organization has continuously committed, plotted and supported terrorist acts against western nations so it is very much “our business” what their leaders are doing in any given place. That doesn’t make the Trump administration’s decision a sane strategic movie, but nobody should be saying that what the IRGC does shouldn’t matter to us.

I mean I wasn’t being literal, because of course we’re all spies.

But in general, him being in Iraq is the single least relevant aspect of this event. It doesn’t produce any new insight or narrative.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
An interesting article by a former Ranger on US military preparations for war with Iran.

Key points

- Large numbers of conventional troops on the ground would be needed on the ground because there are too many underground facilities and many cannot be destroyed from the air
- The US Army believes that the special forces pipeline would have to be fundamentally reconfigured to quickly regenerate new forces, in anticipation of massive casualties whether as a result of a war with Iran, or possibly North Korea.
- There is no exit strategy

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

For the past couple years I have been doing information tech stuff in the industrial control space and I am much much more terrified at a full on and coordinated attack on the cyberspace front. Hostile nations have been probing and prodding our critical infrastructure for years and as someone in that arena I can confidently say we aren't prepared to defend it. The next major conflict might start with a bomb but it will get real when the power just goes out and just in time delivery infrastructure collapses overnight, and honestly that's just the low hanging fruit.

So you're saying I should make local backups of my work documents. Got it thanks feeling more prepared already.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Iran will welcome their monarchy back with open arms, our arms principally.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So you're saying I should make local backups of my work documents. Got it thanks feeling more prepared already.

If you mean print them, then yes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Basically especially after this year and looking at his comments and twitter posts I legit think this is all that goes through Trumps brain at any given point on any given day.

1. How do I make myself look good and efficient to my core political base today
2. How do I get Fox News or my politician friends to praise me
3. How do I get a good dig in on my political opponents from the Democratic party.

The book listing thing really put into focus for me in that it was literally all stuff relating to these 3 points and they are the only discernible consistent pattern I got out of the guys behavior and decision making throughout all of 2019. That's it I think and anything else going into analyzing the situation is probably just the person doing the analyses supplanting a more traditional pattern of activity that they or past presidents might go with, but just do not seem to apply with this one at all. Especially after the 2018 midterms. Those 3 points alone govern the United States Executive branches daily activities. It can be applied to just about any situation involving it.

e: Oh I also I expect Trump to betray that it was a petty personal image decision that lead to the order before long and effectively blow up the analysis that it was some decision made based on American National Security, safety abroad, and Soleimani's activities throughout the Middle East. Like people ought to look really close at the language and focus he uses in the coming days. Don't just let the guy bait you into being angry about something he said, really look at the language he uses and see if it betrays something more personal and focused just a little too much around his political opponents back home in Washington and who is saying what about him. How much it involves comparisons to Benghazi, Clinton, Obama and "The Democrats".

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mcmagic posted:

War Crimes anyone?

What was that?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

No, i don't remember that, what is wrong with you, i was tacitly Republican and didn't vote. What the gently caress are you even doing right now

It was pretty obvious what you, uhh, tacitly supported.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Young Freud posted:

I'm guessing the strike was known by everyone at the Mar-A-Lago NYE party because Eric Trump tweeted something about "American gonna kick some rear end" on the 31st, then deleted it on the 1st. It got archived.
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1212932497434128384?s=20

The tweet that was deleted quoted another tweet with a video of Marines arriving to Baghdad after the attack. https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1212093110488047622 People seem to be leaving that bit out. Polititweet issued a correction https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1212960696591405056

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
According to MSNBC, Pelosi just confirmed that neither she (nor congress as a whole) was notified or briefed before the assassination.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Atricks posted:

The tweet that was deleted quoted another tweet with a video of Marines arriving to Baghdad after the attack. https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1212093110488047622 People seem to be leaving that bit out. Polititweet issued a correction https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1212960696591405056

I figured as much. Why the gently caress would anyone tell Eric anything?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Kale posted:

That's basically exactly the point I was trying to make. It's basically entirely why I often shudder at twitter stuff being brought into the thread. That's the stuff that gets tossed around twitter constantly and a good chunk of the reason the platform has become as intolerable for many as it has because it offers far more proactive statements designed to get replies and kick things into a cycle of petty arguing and "keeping score" than it does debate and discussion. It's just very easy to do far better than that, even if it will probably take until tomorrow or even Monday to get a full grasp of the situation and just how far Trump is spinning out this time.

If anything it's just another illustration to me of how erratic Trump is and how he makes every decision based on what he sees as "ratings" precisely in the moment. If I move these troops out of Northern Syria maybe people will praise me for "bringing Obama's war closer to a close". What this embassy was attacked? Oh right Benghazi.....classic anti-Obama talking point and I have a chance to "do Benghazi right now". Okay Esper find me a target? Oh also put more troops here so I can post about it on my twitter and how I did the Anti-Benghazi unlike Obama and Hillary okay? Good.

That's about how I figure it all went down. Even now I figure a lot of people, pundits, voters and politicians alike just seem too assign too much long term decision making to Trump when all evidence points to him only being able to say or do what he thinks will get him the most applause and praise from his preferred sources in the moment and bonus points if it can be used to slag one of "but my enemies", which in the end is all that ultimately matters to him. This weekend and the 72 hour news cycle, that's almost certainly as far ahead as he's looking at it. Forget the election in November and trying to set up a more favorable position. An excuse to rage at CNN and "the fake news" if one of their pundits criticizes him and a chance to promote Jeanine Pirro or whatever Fox News personality blows his horn the hardest and quickest. I doubt the election is even a real consideration for him until there's a general election opponent and he has a face to make an enemy of and then that'll be literally all you hear about period. It'll be all consuming for his myriad twitter posts.
Felix managed to communicate his point more effectively in five words than you did in five hundred words, so maybe his tweet isn't the "drivel" we need to be worried about.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I disagree with the thread title. What the gently caress? Iran ain't Iraq and all y'all are way too loving young if you think the 2003 Iraq War was Iraq War 1. Is there some super clever joke I'm missing here? Otherwise the thread title is making me irrationally frustrated in its ignorance.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was pretty obvious what you, uhh, tacitly supported.

It's extremely easy to be white, male, raised conservative and not question it. Extremely easy. I was completely wrong at the time but dogpiling on his nutso stalker nonsense towards me is really stupid, only checking in with politics rarely is a very simple thing to do and doesn't require full-throated enthusiasm and bloodlust.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

I disagree with the thread title. What the gently caress? Iran ain't Iraq and all y'all are way too loving young if you think the 2003 Iraq War was Iraq War 1. Is there some super clever joke I'm missing here? Otherwise the thread title is making me irrationally frustrated in its ignorance.

I'm glad you're focusing on the injustices and blatant obfuscations that really matter in this whole fiasco.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VH4Ever posted:

You have nailed The Real Problem

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It's extremely easy to be white, male, raised conservative and not question it. Extremely easy. I was completely wrong at the time but dogpiling on his nutso stalker nonsense towards me is really stupid, only checking in with politics rarely is a very simple thing to do and doesn't require full-throated enthusiasm and bloodlust.

Kinda rude to accuse people of being mentally ill and potentially harmful just because they remembered your posts. Consider it a compliment to how well you defended your ideas back then.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In my craziest of fever dreams, this is what finally convinces the senate to remove him somehow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loving hate this piece of poo poo country

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ProsinPlanet/status/1212973628012290048

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

I'm glad you're focusing on the injustices and blatant obfuscations that really matter in this whole fiasco.

Yeah let's forget a big chunk of our history in the region pre-1995, what bad thing could possibly come from us doing that?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

In my craziest of fever dreams, this is what finally convinces the senate to remove him somehow.

US Senators, universally known for their hatred of poorly thought-out military adventures?

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I guess I'm going to bed now with the knowledge that a WWE Hall of Fame inductee just assassinated a prominent world figure. And to think my money was on Koko B. Ware.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

You've got it backwards; as far as the Senate is concerned, this is one of the coolest things Trump has ever done.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah let's forget a big chunk of our history in the region pre-1995, what bad thing could possibly come from us doing that?

I'm pretty certain everyone here remembers that Desert Storm was a thing.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

I'm pretty certain everyone here remembers that Desert Storm was a thing.

Are you sure? Earlier today I quoted someone who clearly didn't. Right now this second is not the first time I'm seeing this.

This seems like it could be the beginning of the 2nd Iraq War. Am I absolutely tripping here or weren't those our allies we just took out the leadership of? Were they even involved in the embassy storming?

This just seems so insane even in the perfect case of those leaders being directly involved in planning a raid on the embassy because nobody was even killed, were they?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

Are you sure? Earlier today I quoted someone who clearly didn't. Right now this second is not the first time I'm seeing this.

It's really not the thing that matters most in this discussion right now, when we're talking about being on the brink of war with a country much larger and stronger than Iraq.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

It's really not the thing that matters most in this discussion right now, when we're talking about being on the brink of war with a country much larger and stronger than Iraq.

Right. Which makes the thread title even more confusing, right?

Dude gently caress you for backseat modding when a lot of the "discussion" over the last few hours was Who Was More Right, TheFlyingOrc or Yewochh My Balls?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Desert storm can hardly be called a war in comparison to all the enormous lovely quagmires we’ve gotten into since then.

Also no one refers to it as the Iraq war.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gentlemen, slapfight has been declared.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TealShark posted:

I guess I'm going to bed now with the knowledge that a WWE Hall of Fame inductee just assassinated a prominent world figure. And to think my money was on Koko B. Ware.

Iran will retaliate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

Kinda rude to accuse people of being mentally ill and potentially harmful just because they remembered your posts. Consider it a compliment to how well you defended your ideas back then.

Can your weird little club...i don't know, stop talking about me? Can you be normal, please?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

Desert storm can hardly be called a war in comparison to all the enormous lovely quagmires we’ve gotten into since then.

Also no one refers to it as the Iraq war.

Uh, yeah, we did. Clearly you're too young to remember it which...is kind of my point. We're not just airbrushing that out of history, my dude. Sorry. As long as I draw breath we won't.

Lucky for you I'm a fat gently caress but I'm still here now so live with it. It existed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This is a good and valuable twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/1212973380762308609

If your rep or senator voted in favor of the NDAA, never let them live it down.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

Uh, yeah, we did. Clearly you're too young to remember it which...is kind of my point. We're not just airbrushing that out of history, my dude. Sorry. As long as I draw breath we won't.

Lucky for you I'm a fat gently caress but I'm still here now so live with it. It existed.

Lol ok. For the past 16 years, the 1991 war has been referred to as "Desert Storm" or "The Gulf War" by pretty much everybody, and the 2003 war has been called "the Iraq War" also by everybody. Get off your loving high horse dude.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VH4Ever posted:

https://vimeo.com/45593328

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

Lol ok. For the past 16 years, the 1991 war has been referred to as "Desert Storm" or "The Gulf War" by pretty much everybody, and the 2003 war has been called "the Iraq War" also by everybody. Get off your loving high horse dude.

So we're just forgetting who we were attacking in that war. Who the target was. WHERE WE BOMBED. Instead we're going to be "the shorthand name of the war" pedants and just let that stand. OK.

Check your calendar by the way, rear end in a top hat, that war happened a lot more than loving 16 years ago, and it was referred to as "desert storm" then because THAT WAS THE loving MILITARY CODE WORD FOR THE INVASION. But history is boring and being right is just in the eye of the beholder, right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the end it really doesn't matter as unlike the usual Trump bullshit things are about to get worse very dramatically.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

So we're just forgetting who we were attacking in that war. Who the target was. WHERE WE BOMBED. Instead we're going to be "the shorthand name of the war" pedants and just let that stand. OK.

Check your calendar by the way, rear end in a top hat, that war happened a lot more than loving 16 years ago, and it was referred to as "desert storm" then because THAT WAS THE loving MILITARY CODE WORD FOR THE INVASION. But history is boring and being right is just in the eye of the beholder, right?

lol do you forget who we fought in wwii if its not explicitly stated too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

16 years is ~ the Iraq war started, not when the Gulf War started.