Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Man, there are some amazing paint jobs here!

So this is my Emperor's Children Demon Prince I bashed up. He's the first model I've painted in a year or so, but I'll post the updates once I get a bit further on with him.

Oh, hey, is that tail from the bathalian primarch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So this is my Emperor's Children Demon Prince I bashed up. He's the first model I've painted in a year or so, but I'll post the updates once I get a bit further on with him.

If anyone's demon princes are going to be Final Fantasy bosses it would be the EC. I like it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That’s freaking rad as hell and extremely the aesthetic of Slaneesh. Definitely the chaos god of slithery snake stuff. Love the Talos helm!

What’s the lower body from?

10/10 great work my friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't like how the runes turned out, those were really hard for me to do. Otherwise I am super happy with this model, and just how completely badass looking it looks. :black101: I clearly am going to need to build a Space Wolf army now after I am done with my AdMech army. There is some re-painting I am going to actually need to do because I got lazy about mold lines, but it doesn't look anywhere near as bad to the naked eye.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I have no idea how long my motivation to paint every day is going to stick around, but I'm going to capitalize on it for as long as it does. Ironically, I painted basically the opposite of the previous kitbash, another patreon model that was distributed a couple of months back that I never worked on because large models intimidate me:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

I have no idea how long my motivation to paint every day is going to stick around, but I'm going to capitalize on it for as long as it does. Ironically, I painted basically the opposite of the previous kitbash, another patreon model that was distributed a couple of months back that I never worked on because large models intimidate me:

If I could paint this amazing, I would be painting everyday, money not withstanding. :v:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I said come in! posted:

If I could paint this amazing, I would be painting everyday, money not withstanding. :v:

Thank you so much! I have serious impostor syndrome about my painting and a stranger's compliment means the world, for real.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Oh that came together really well. I also love the multi-wing Cherubim nod be it intentional or not.

Thank you! I always thought of the EC as this nightmarish beauty, or like a royal baroque cenobyte type of thing. The wings have this dark beauty thing about them and it just felt right.

JackMann posted:

Oh, hey, is that tail from the bathalian primarch?

It's from a cheap bones mini actually!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If anyone's demon princes are going to be Final Fantasy bosses it would be the EC. I like it.

I agree :syoon: and thank you!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That’s freaking rad as hell and extremely the aesthetic of Slaneesh. Definitely the chaos god of slithery snake stuff. Love the Talos helm!

What’s the lower body from?

10/10 great work my friend.

Thanks for the compliments! That drat Talos helmet took me a long time to find on the net, and when I did it ended up costing $7 shipped from the UK. I didn't want to pay that much for one tiny bit, but I couldn't find it anywhere and I was getting ancey to paint it.

The body is from a bones mini that I can't seem to find to provide a picture of. :(

Thanks a bunch for your nice words guys! I'm glad my idea for how I wanted it to look comes through. I have a ton of fun ideas for stuff in the army in this theme.

Here is my landraider, and Levithan dread so far. The claws coming out of the las turrets are spider legs from a bones mini, the exhaust is the alternative backpack from my demon prince model, and the fancy stuff on the heavy bolters is left over from my Exalted Chariot.

The Dread's banner is fiddly as gently caress and I'm not sure if I want to pin it or magnetize it:

His mods are mainly green stuff like the trim, tentacles, spine, and feet. The claws around the GF Bombard and under the cannon are from demonettes, spikes are for a land raider, and the head is a chaos sorcerer. I forget what the loin cloth was from. Perhaps a chaos sorcerer as well.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Jesus, those gems just burst off that model! That's great work man, and I know how you feel about the compliments. It's nice to see people see your work through their eyes. I hope I can live up to the quality I see posted in this thread. Sometimes I want to just burn the paint off my army when I see people that are super talented.

But then again it's a super big motivator to get better and keep painting somehow. It's weird to be so aware of working on a skill, to watch it grow and be motivated. I've tried this with so many hobbies, but this one has the brightest light at the end of the tunnel, I guess.

I don't know how to explain it well, but this is fun and I want to get this good. Nice work!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The body is from a bones mini that I can't seem to find to provide a picture of. :(

Yep, Bathalian Primarch. I'd show a picture of the metal one I painted back when I started painting, but the pictures are on PhotoBucket and they're not letting me log in to rehost them.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

JackMann posted:

Yep, Bathalian Primarch. I'd show a picture of the metal one I painted back when I started painting, but the pictures are on PhotoBucket and they're not letting me log in to rehost them.

Yeah that is it! I couldn't remember what that thing was called, but I used the rest of it in my rhino. I'll post pictures of that once I have it primed as well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
WIP on General Veers for Star Wars Legion

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

that's great, love the mask, love the canard wings

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NeurosisHead posted:

Thank you so much! I have serious impostor syndrome about my painting and a stranger's compliment means the world, for real.

Your feather wings are maybe the nicest I've seen, they really look like wings from an actual golden eagle

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well I'm continuing to love the rooibos and cilantro leaves. It's kind of a shame to cover this base up.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
incredible! where's that skeleton from?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks!

The skeleton and logs are from the finecast Gigantic Spider kit. Eventually a spider and goblin need to go on top of this.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SERPUS posted:

Does anyone have a link to the album that a goon did with the retro 90's style Ultramarines? I can't think of any keywords to find that again.

That's me. Scroll down a bit and hit "Older" to see more.
https://cam2d.tumblr.com/tagged/ultramarines/page/7

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SRM posted:

That's me. Scroll down a bit and hit "Older" to see more.
https://cam2d.tumblr.com/tagged/ultramarines/page/7

I adore this so much thank you for this

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

NeurosisHead posted:

First miniature of 2020 this afternoon, and my first time actually being happy with dark skin tones. I think that this year I'd like to get better at using technical effects, like weathering, blood, etc. Not bad though, for 3 hours on a lazy Wednesday.

Also model is from Lion Tower Miniatures on Patreon, printed by me at home. I have gone waaaayy down the 3d printed model rabbit hole, and it owns so much.

What did you print this out of and how much prep did it take? I can't even tell it was printed. I'm used to printed stuff out in my area being gritty and that looks real smooth. Do you have to vapor polish or something?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Under 15 posted:

What did you print this out of and how much prep did it take? I can't even tell it was printed. I'm used to printed stuff out in my area being gritty and that looks real smooth. Do you have to vapor polish or something?

Have a buddy with a resin printer and am looking into one myself.

This is just kind of where 3d printing is at. If your willing to get a resin printer with a restricted build size $500-700 will get you read poo poo like this

Now it's probably a really well tuned printer, but definitely doable

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Under 15 posted:

Resin print, on a Prusa SL1, at 25 micron layer height. No post processing, other than some shaving where supports left surface imperfections. Yesterday's work below; I tried my hand at glazing for color depth on the glaive. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it feels okay enough for a first attempt at it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

w00tmonger posted:

Have a buddy with a resin printer and am looking into one myself.

This is just kind of where 3d printing is at. If your willing to get a resin printer with a restricted build size $500-700 will get you read poo poo like this

Now it's probably a really well tuned printer, but definitely doable

You can get an elegoo mars for $240 that will print that smooth , prices have come down a lot

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Photon also is at about that price point, but they started stealthily switching over the board/firmware to that of the Photon-S which uses their newer file format. Last I knew they came out with a firmware for both in November that lets them use the older .photon but it had some bugs.

I do like the upper cover design of the Photon as it gives you something to mount stuff like larger fume exhausts or, in my case, I have the temp controller box bolted on the side for a heater to make stuff with Siraya Blu.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Still working on cleaning up the paint, highlights, and small details, but this is the basic idea. I didn't want the DP to be the same Fulgrim Pink as the rest of the army. I might fade in that pink on the inside of the wings only slightly, but I'm not sure yet.

Once imgur decides to let me upload a few more, I'll edit them in.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Still working on cleaning up the paint, highlights, and small details, but this is the basic idea. I didn't want the DP to be the same Fulgrim Pink as the rest of the army. I might fade in that pink on the inside of the wings only slightly, but I'm not sure yet.

Once imgur decides to let me upload a few more, I'll edit them in.

That looks rad, what's your recipe for the white? I've got some larger stuff I've been toying around with doing a primarily white scheme on, but getting coverage with most white paints is an absolute nightmare and for bigger minis I pretty much just settled on "stick them in the backlog until I can afford an airbrush."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

To much or to little highlighting?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

That looks rad, what's your recipe for the white? I've got some larger stuff I've been toying around with doing a primarily white scheme on, but getting coverage with most white paints is an absolute nightmare and for bigger minis I pretty much just settled on "stick them in the backlog until I can afford an airbrush."

Linen white by reaper is the main color, the grey shade is that apothecary white, and the highlights are ceramite white. I primed black because of the gold which is the Turbo Dork Gold Rush and the wings are done in linen white with a layer of Turbo Dork sugar rush.

Those turbo dork paints are amazing for Metallics and color shift. Some must be painted over black to get the effect, but some like Mother Lode must be painted over white. If you use one that should be painted over black over another color, it adds a slight color shift sheen over the top which can look real sweet.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Wrong thread, whoops.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 5, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had tough time getting good pictures, if there was ever an argument for me to finally get myself a lightbox, it is with this figure. Main thing I wanted to show is his chest piece, I am very happy with this figure. I originally went into it with just intending to slap some basic colors on him and call it good. I ended up getting carried away and wanted to really do a good job copying the official paint scheme from GWS. I feel that I succeeded.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

darnon posted:

Photon also is at about that price point, but they started stealthily switching over the board/firmware to that of the Photon-S which uses their newer file format. Last I knew they came out with a firmware for both in November that lets them use the older .photon but it had some bugs.

I do like the upper cover design of the Photon as it gives you something to mount stuff like larger fume exhausts or, in my case, I have the temp controller box bolted on the side for a heater to make stuff with Siraya Blu.

Do you use the siraya for jewelry prints ?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Had tough time getting good pictures, if there was ever an argument for me to finally get myself a lightbox, it is with this figure. Main thing I wanted to show is his chest piece, I am very happy with this figure. I originally went into it with just intending to slap some basic colors on him and call it good. I ended up getting carried away and wanted to really do a good job copying the official paint scheme from GWS. I feel that I succeeded.

I love painting little fiddly tech bits like that. And trying to get liquids in containers to look realistic. I think you did a great job on that mans right there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I love painting little fiddly tech bits like that. And trying to get liquids in containers to look realistic. I think you did a great job on that mans right there.

I was trying to figure out what the liquids are even for, lore wise. I couldnt find any lore stuff on but also im afraid to know lol.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That's a real good question actually. I see a lot of minis with liquid tubes like that, but I never see any mention of what it actually is, or even what color it's supposed to be lore wise.

Most of the time, I think it's just based upon how the GW painters decide to paint them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How wet should my wet palette be? I just got one and the paper is damp but not giving off water to the touch

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Phi230 posted:

How wet should my wet palette be? I just got one and the paper is damp but not giving off water to the touch

I normally keep mine so theres some light beading on the paper but im a muppet who doesnt paint often so ymmv

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I said come in! posted:

I was trying to figure out what the liquids are even for, lore wise. I couldnt find any lore stuff on but also im afraid to know lol.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That's a real good question actually. I see a lot of minis with liquid tubes like that, but I never see any mention of what it actually is, or even what color it's supposed to be lore wise.

Most of the time, I think it's just based upon how the GW painters decide to paint them.

I think the little things on the Datasmith's chest aren't tubes/vials, they're disks/dataslates that get jammed into the chests of the Kastelans to tell them what to do.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't like how the runes turned out, those were really hard for me to do. Otherwise I am super happy with this model, and just how completely badass looking it looks. :black101: I clearly am going to need to build a Space Wolf army now after I am done with my AdMech army. There is some re-painting I am going to actually need to do because I got lazy about mold lines, but it doesn't look anywhere near as bad to the naked eye.

i love him. for runes i been watering down white super thin so its basically white water then very, very carefully flooding the recesses for the runes and letting it dry. gives a p. good effect.

obviously dreadnought is much more complex and could stand some OSL which i have no experience doing, but i saw a couple siege studio space wolves and their poo poo is all glowy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

im pooping! posted:

i love him. for runes i been watering down white super thin so its basically white water then very, very carefully flooding the recesses for the runes and letting it dry. gives a p. good effect.

obviously dreadnought is much more complex and could stand some OSL which i have no experience doing, but i saw a couple siege studio space wolves and their poo poo is all glowy.

Have you considered a white acrylic ink? It's great to have around in general, but it sounds tailor-made for what you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted a couple of things this weekend

A Branchwraith for my 'budding' Sylvaneth army

and this just because I wanted to try out some blood effects