Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, I finished Spidreman. Or at least the main plot before the DLC. I guess it was competent enough, and it was fun, but I still feel like it was a little lacking. Half of the advantage of making something using a preestablished IP is that you can artificially add depth with references, but it was really shallow on all of that. There were no real deep pulls, and a lack of interesting details. Weirdly they reworked Doc Ock into basically having Vulture's entire origin story. Also weird to rework Mary Jane into a reporter, although I guess it does give her some depth. The depowered stealth sections were mostly not good, even if they did add some pacing. Peter Parker himself didn't really seem to have much depth. It's not like everything needs to follow the comics or one of the movies or a cartoon, but if you're not gonna add much yourself, you kinda need to. It was fun catching pigeons for some guy, but the story he feeds you is just...bland.

Which Vulture? In the comics his business partner embezzles money and leaves Toomes with nothing.

I really liked Octavius' origin in the game even though I don't usually like when adaptations involve Norman in origins (usually multiple). In most Dr. Octopus stories, including the original, the tentacles are incidental in the tale but here they are immensely personal to him.

Here are my thoughts from earlier in the game in the Spider-Man thread. I was expecting an accident to really transform him but it ended up being a slow, tragic, character-driven decline.

Lobok posted:

Really liking the characterization so far with Dr. Ocatvius. I'm only partway through the game so he hasn't turned into You Know Who Voldemort, obvs. but the groundwork is all there. Without having to delve into the dark family history he has in the comics, he has plenty of anger and frustration stemming from his relative lack of career success. And though he attributes it all to Osborn he clearly has problems with focus as we see with him multi-tasking different projects and constantly changing his ideas for his main prosthetics project, not to mention the saves and fixes Peter provides. With those constantly changing ideas of his, the more he updates Peter on these changes that get more and more ambitious the more Octavius' true arrogance is revealed. Nothing cartoonish yet but there's the potential in his voice for those classic supervillain grandstanding monologues. With the anger, motive, arrogance, and ambition it's easy to see how The Accident from his origin could happen, whether or not it actually does (guess I'll find out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Steve Yun posted:

Nier Automata progress report: Got to meet Pascal and Sartre, game seemed to be making fun of them even though I’m told the game embraces their philosophy by the end. I have been staring at a lot of anime girl butt.

You think the game is making fun of Pascal, the purest, sweetest character in the game??? Pascal actually dunks the hardest on Nietzsche later, harder than the story is dunking on Jean Paul rn. What did you think of that boss fight eh?? Don't read the spoilers Steve, but I was just wondering You don't see Simone's name until route B right? And her back story with Sartre is also during B I'd assume, since the cutscenes like that seem to only happen then.

Also, Pascal is only the purest character until he becomes a shopkeeper if you make that certain decision and I'm like..... :shepspends: I'll take those heads that once belonged to two small child robots, and use them as fist weapons plz (I mean I would never if it didn't mean not getting a trophy, but I obvs did because I need that trophy/every weapon/platinum.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Delzuma posted:

1000% the best computer game with Bruce Campbell in it is Tachyon: The Fringe. One of the best space simulators out there anyway and Bruce just makes it better.

Ah hell yeah I played this with a friend in high school. We bought it from eb games, beat it, and brought it back within the return policy window,I think we traded it for thief 2. It's wild that PC games used to have return policies let alone physical releases.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Gort posted:

Has anyone here upgraded their PS4 Pro to an SSD? What differences did you notice, and was there anything to watch out for during the install?

I put a SSD in my Pro first thing so I don’t have any experience with the HDD to compare, but I’m happy with it. Control still has overly long loading screens.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hello PS4 thread. This week I finished Outer Wilds.

Do your duty and play this extremely good video game. If you enjoy the medium at all you should give your $25 to this small team of devs who made something extremely loving unique and cool.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Outer wilds- how much time should I give it for it to get under my skin?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

Outer wilds- how much time should I give it for it to get under my skin?

an hour, maybe. the first half hour or so is spent as a tutorial on the opening planet. then you get your spaceship and it opens up from there

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I gave it maybe 2 hours and it didn't quite grab me..

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

Do your duty and play this extremely good video game. If you enjoy the medium at all you should give your $25 to this small team of devs who made something extremely loving unique and cool.

I already played outer worlds but thanks for the recommendation!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pulcinella posted:

Control still has overly long loading screens.

Annoying but what I find worse is after dying how much ground you have to retread to get back to where you were. Modern games have really spoiled me for that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

I gave it maybe 2 hours and it didn't quite grab me..

If it's not for you that's fine, good on you for giving it a try.

It's a bit of an odd goose because at first it seems quite "aimless", but it's really not. Your objectives are everywhere, and they're clearly marked. It's just that the rewards are getting to explore these crazy alien worlds and learn more about the history of the universe. When I was 80% through the content of the game I still had virtually no idea what I had to do to actually beat it. But that's because beating it is presented as no more or less important than anything that came before. When the time comes, the path before you will be clear, but until that time don't even worry about it. Explore, check your board, try to poke and prod at the seams of the world and see what comes of it.

Definitely the definition of the journey being more important than the destination.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

PantsBandit posted:

My hand is still recovering from surgery, is it a much quick twitch movement or pretty calm?

I've been playing Stardew Valley to not use my right hand much.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It has no combat but it has touchy controls and timing is often important.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bows1 posted:

My hand is still recovering from surgery, is it a much quick twitch movement or pretty calm?

I've been playing Stardew Valley to not use my right hand much.

It is extremely chill. Piloting the ship would probably take two hands, but there is an autopilot you can use. Once you're on a planet though you could probably manage the whole thing one-handed.

There isn't any combat or anything, it's a pure exploration game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gort posted:

Has anyone here upgraded their PS4 Pro to an SSD? What differences did you notice, and was there anything to watch out for during the install?

I can't weigh in on SSDs, but the swaps are pretty straightforward. Just make sure everything that isn't a game install is properly backed up (e.g. captures, save games). Make sure your Trophies are synced to PSN. You might want to deactivate your account before the swap but it's not strictly required.

I have a related SSD question for the PS4: does it do anything meaningful for speeding up the "Updating..." nonsense for game updates, or is that still slow as balls?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I have done this. The install was fairly simple except finding the right firmware on Sony's site was a bit of a chore. The improvement varies depending on the game, but I did it specifically for Monster Hunter and it made a huge difference. Probably 50 to 75 percent faster I would say.

Edit

univbee posted:

I have a related SSD question for the PS4: does it do anything meaningful for speeding up the "Updating..." nonsense for game updates, or is that still slow as balls?

It did not seem to improve this aspect for me sadly.

Baron fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 3, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gort posted:

When you do the hard drive swap remember there are two different firmware files on the Sony website. One is like 300mb and upgrades any prior firmware to the newest. The other is a larger file and is meant for brand new hard drives that don't have any firmware on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

...and

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

univbee posted:

It can still be slow especially if the update is really big, but it’s never been especially bad.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question:

Did the remaster of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment get a better translation than the original Vita version?

Because while I enjoyed the gameplay the translation was garbage enough to make me quit playing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The remaster improved the translation but made the gameplay worse.

Thankfully they realized their mistake and Hollow Realization went back to the Vita style battle mechanics.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

The Black Stones posted:

It can still be slow especially if the update is really big, but it’s never been especially bad.

The biggest problem for me is games like Modern Warfare where they screwed up their patching system on PS4 and it requires having ~100 GB free (basically the entire game size available as free space) to download and install a 2 GB patch, but that’s not directly SSD related except for SSD storage being more expensive and your more likely to have a smaller SSD than a HDD.

As for Outer Wilds, that is the one game you should go into absolutely unspoiled. Normally I don’t care about spoilers and they don’t ruin anything for me... except for Outer Wilds. I liked flying the ship and the 6 DOF navigation in zero G, but being spoiled on that game removed 80% of the fun for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what Sony is doing in their patching system but whatever it is makes Destiny 2 updates take 30-45 minutes to apply, and it never seems to want to do it while in rest mode before I get home.

Outer Wilds is absolutely a game about discovery, definitely know as little about its content as possible.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

I don't know what Sony is doing in their patching system but whatever it is makes Destiny 2 updates take 30-45 minutes to apply, and it never seems to want to do it while in rest mode before I get home.

Yeah this is the problem I'm having, and I really hope they address this with the PS5.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m permanently bummed that I can’t get into Outer Wilds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The core idea of Outer Wilds sounds cool, and unique, but also sounds like exactly the kind of game I do not like to play. I’m happy people are enjoying it, and hope the dev keeps making cool creative puzzle games, but Injust can’t gently caress with any game that gives me anxiety like that. I’ll play Sekiro for 15 hours straight to get in my zone, but that is on my schedule.
Outer Wilds doing its thing would break me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bust Rodd posted:

The core idea of Outer Wilds sounds cool, and unique, but also sounds like exactly the kind of game I do not like to play. I’m happy people are enjoying it, and hope the dev keeps making cool creative puzzle games, but Injust can’t gently caress with any game that gives me anxiety like that. I’ll play Sekiro for 15 hours straight to get in my zone, but that is on my schedule.
Outer Wilds doing its thing would break me.

Same. Unfortunately I just can’t enjoy that kind of gameplay loop. I really wish I did. It’s more frustrating than something like Bloodborne has been lol and I don’t really find any reward in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Johnee_B/status/1212771703283163137?s=20

god drat

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anxious about what?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gort posted:

Anxious about what?

My progress resetting every 20 minutes. It’s the Moon from Majora’s Mask all over again. I beat MM but only by spamming the song of Slow Time and playing it like a normal Zelda game. Unless Outer Wilds has an easily accessible magic Ocarina, I can’t handle it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m permanently bummed that I can’t get into Outer Wilds.

Noooooooooooooooooooo

What did you do in it exactly? My first like 1.5 hour session didn't grab me, but I also just wasn't really fully giving it my attention, but then I was hooked the next time I started it. Once you realize that there's no pressure, you won't lose anything (except time maybe, but that's rare and won't happen until later in the game, because of something very specific), but I think the moment it clicked was the moment I realized that I had everything I needed, the stuff you already have and what the tutorials are in the starting village, and when I'd been to the like 5 or so planets, and also realized that you don't collect items or anything, you just literally read the Nomai writing, and that it's not lore, it's just the way they tell the story, while also giving you gentle nudges as to where you can go next to find out more about what you just read, or a gentle nudge in another direction that will give you more information that what you just read might've assumed you knew, but it's just madness how organically the story is told, and you can literally approach it from who knows how many ways, like, the way the planets are oriented means you'll probably find a lot of writing before other stuff, and certainly before the like end game stuff since you need to know pretty specific things to find them, but yeah, I mean if you've already got the feeling that you know you should be using your frequency scanner to find stuff, you've already updated info in your ship log through several runs, or maybe on almost every planet/have visited every planet/have experienced the thing a couple times sun exploding and time loop, then yeah, it's maybe not for you. Things I loved that got me hooked were speaking with the Hearthian by the giant seed that you shoot your scout launcher into on the other side of the starting planet, Timber Hearth, going to Giant's Deep and finding an island or two, specifically the two or three with more important Nomai writing, or going inside Brittle Hollow and seeing the master-class in level design that is the hanging city. I can maybe seeing you not being into it, though, but also I assumed you might be into it since you're into open world games and I thought the exploration aspect and the level of freedom might appeal to you, but also it's strange how it seems to simply not gel with some people, or they're obsessed with it, with very little in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0 btw this new Noclip documentary on the making of the game is fascinating and I recommend it to like anyone, there's spoilers after a certain point and they warn you, so if you plan on playing it you can still watch the first like 8 minutes or something.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 3, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

^^There is stuff in the second half of this post I would probably spoiler...not that they're big story things but stuff like finding the seed on Timber Hearth are cooler blind :)

Bust Rodd posted:

My proofread resetting every 20 minutes. It’s the Moon from Majorca’s Mask all over again. I beat MM but only by spamming the song of Slow Time and playing it like a normal Zelda game. Unless Outer Wilds has an easily accessible magic Ocarina, I can’t handle it.

FWIW there's virtually nothing in the game that requires you to rush. It sounds like you just are wired to get anxiety from a timer, which is totally understandable, but you could pretend the timer isn't even there and it wouldn't really affect anything. Even if you're in the middle of doing something when you run out of time, it shouldn't take any more than a few minutes to get back where you were. It's not really like Majora where you risk losing progress, the puzzles in Outer Wilds are generally figuring out HOW to reach your destination, once you know that getting back is never hard.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 3, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

PantsBandit posted:

^^There is stuff in the second half of this post I would probably spoiler...not that they're big story things but stuff like finding the seed on Timber Hearth are cooler blind :)

FWIW there's virtually nothing in the game that requires you to rush. It sounds like you just are wired to get anxiety from a timer, which is totally understandable, but you could pretend the timer isn't even there and it wouldn't really affect anything. Even if you're in the middle of doing something when you run out of time, it shouldn't take any more than a few minutes to get back where you were. It's not really like Majora where you risk losing progress, the puzzles in Outer Wilds are generally figuring out HOW to reach your destination, once you know that getting back is never hard.

True! I fixed it, I just thought if, like it was with me, one of the things that made me laugh and also made me intensely curious about the seed that doesn't even have the decency to stay the same size inside as it is on the outside

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Meanwhile, on the exact opposite end of the spectrum from GB's endless stream of garbage is Tim Roger's incredible review of 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7HF7v9wUUA

Late quote but thanks for linking it. I don't usually like Kotaku stuff but thanks to this thread (I think you were the one) for making me discover Tim Rogers. While I don't share some of his opinions about certain videogames, I absolutely love that the way he talks about them and how respectful (don't know if it's the best way to describe it) he is about the work of developers and their craft. He's got the exact amount of cheese I like on long videogame youtube videos.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PantsBandit posted:

The thing I really liked about the timer is forcing me to branch out. Normally my urge is to sit there and figure out every single thing in every single location before I move on, but that's really not the way the game is designed; stuff you find on one planet might give you clues to another. It ended up helping my choice paralysis a lot when I realized I could just be like "Okay, I'm just gonna gently caress around here for 20 minutes, see what happens, and if that doesn't pan out, then next time I'll try exploring more around [COOL THING I FOUND EARLIER]. It kept me focused on the actual act of exploring and the rush of finding out two unrelated things tie together. You're never losing progress, normally I HATE timers in games, I totally get that anxiety, but it never feels like a lose condition, so much as the game going "Okay, but how about trying something different now?"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lobok posted:

Which Vulture? In the comics his business partner embezzles money and leaves Toomes with nothing.

I really liked Octavius' origin in the game even though I don't usually like when adaptations involve Norman in origins (usually multiple). In most Dr. Octopus stories, including the original, the tentacles are incidental in the tale but here they are immensely personal to him.

Here are my thoughts from earlier in the game in the Spider-Man thread. I was expecting an accident to really transform him but it ended up being a slow, tragic, character-driven decline.

I mean basically, the whole screwed over by his business partner and then builds a big contraption strapped to his back to take his revenge angle. It's not like it's a bad idea to put together, but it's just kinda demonstrative of how there's no real reason the game needed to use specifically Dr. Octopus, and maybe a different villain would've fit their purposes better. It feels like he's only in there because the game's trying as hard as they can to follow in Spiderman 2's footsteps, and the relationship he has with Pete is heavily derivative off of that, and although while Otto's VA puts some work into that, Pete's just can't get any subtleties through because he's always either 100% enthusiastic or 100% terrified and both of those emotions sound the same. Maybe I'd be more willing to revisit Doc's audio logs if the game didn't get audio logs exactly wrong by making exiting the menu stop the playback, so you can't do things while listening. It's weird how many games get that wrong.

There didn't really seem to me to be a slow decline for him, he was manic towards the end while trying to get the arms working, but not dysfunctionally so. He never seemed to be taking an interest in supervillains, and the biggest sign was how he was blaming Osborne for everything, which seemed...accurate? He had a working model before Norman shut him down, and Norman did genuinely screw Otto over when they were working together, and it's not like New York wouldn't benefit from not having an evil fascist mayor. The decision to assemble a team of supervillains and unleash a WMD to kill most of New York kinda feels like a nonsequiter, and I'm not sure how exactly it was supposed to relate to the rest of his grand plan.

And at the end, when Pete is desperately pleading with Doc Ock to stop, he says that he'll make sure Osborne faces charges, but it seems like that was just a lie, which kinda undermines how much Peter supposedly respects Otto.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Guillermus posted:

Late quote but thanks for linking it. I don't usually like Kotaku stuff but thanks to this thread (I think you were the one) for making me discover Tim Rogers. While I don't share some of his opinions about certain videogames, I absolutely love that the way he talks about them and how respectful (don't know if it's the best way to describe it) he is about the work of developers and their craft. He's got the exact amount of cheese I like on long videogame youtube videos.

ahem, I think *I* was the one who started spamming Tim Rogers stuff, and I remember posting the DMCV review which everyone replied with like 'well that wasn't really a review but it was funny' and then the FF7 translation and BP was one of the only people who was like holy poo poo. but I'm glad that a lot of people are big Mr Rogers fans now,

Crappy Jack posted:

The thing I really liked about the timer is forcing me to branch out. Normally my urge is to sit there and figure out every single thing in every single location before I move on, but that's really not the way the game is designed; stuff you find on one planet might give you clues to another. It ended up helping my choice paralysis a lot when I realized I could just be like "Okay, I'm just gonna gently caress around here for 20 minutes, see what happens, and if that doesn't pan out, then next time I'll try exploring more around [COOL THING I FOUND EARLIER]. It kept me focused on the actual act of exploring and the rush of finding out two unrelated things tie together. You're never losing progress, normally I HATE timers in games, I totally get that anxiety, but it never feels like a lose condition, so much as the game going "Okay, but how about trying something different now?"

yeah, this exactly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tim Rogers was popular here way before Devil May Cry, we were in love with him because of his Dragon Quest XI review

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Spider-Man (PS4)’s ending is one of the best Spider-Man stories ever told. It’s so rare that comic book IPs have lasting consequences, so for them to go that deep is pretty special. I also don’t understand your complaint about there being not enough references, the game has like 7 major Spider-Man villains and all 50 of the backpacks have recorded voice lines of Peter directly referencing the comic books.

I’m playing through all the DLC now and the Twitter feed is so funny Jesus Christ

My biggest complaint about Spider-Man is how decidedly pro-cop it is. It’s super weird and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Spider-Man exists in a fictional fantasy America where American police are good guys.