Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

obama is a neolib who a bunch of us thought was a workers champion

and he's actively ready to sabatoge bernie

not to even mention all the brown families he-

Box of Bunnies posted:

Watchmen Universe Obama would take Veidt up on his offer for assistance and drop tactical squid strikes on civilian marriages enemy combatants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Examples:

"Obummer can keep the Change"
- big dipshit
- white supremacist as hell
- I will tell him Obama is great

"Obama squandered the planet's last chance of avoiding total climate collapse, and also authorized the ICE facilities that detain infants and children"
- woke
- this is a guy who knows what's up
- he is a bad president

"Dr Manhattan looked stupid and they talk about Eggs too much"
- this poster lives in the suburbs
- probably says they're fiscally conservative and socially liberal
- IGNORE

"Lindelof lost his vision when he shifted focus from racial injustice to Blue Man Strong"
- can't believe how big that poster's bulge is
- can you be gay but just for one person, based on their great opinion?
- hope they do season 2 haha

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Examples:

"Obummer can keep the Change"
- big dipshit
- white supremacist as hell
- I will tell him Obama is great

"Obama squandered the planet's last chance of avoiding total climate collapse, and also authorized the ICE facilities that detain infants and children"
- woke
- this is a guy who knows what's up
- he is a bad president

"Dr Manhattan looked stupid and they talk about Eggs too much"
- this poster lives in the suburbs
- probably says they're fiscally conservative and socially liberal
- IGNORE

"Lindelof lost his vision when he shifted focus from racial injustice to Blue Man Strong"
- can't believe how big that poster's bulge is
- can you be gay but just for one person, based on their great opinion?
- hope they do season 2 haha
Much like this season your last couple entries were confusing

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I watched this again and it's still really good. :hai:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've missed pages and pages of this thread but I just realized the perfect video game comparison we could make for the Watchmen show that would make total sense to people who have read about, played, and understand the controversy surrounding... Far Cry 4.

Watchmen is Far Cry 4.

Both pieces of media seemed like they were going to be woke and smartly take down a portion of the American population but instead both pieces of media ended up being dumbly entertaining without any depth to its moral standards.

But in the end they were both good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
4 was the one in Himalayan mountains, are you sure you don't mean 5?

Also comparing a piece of media to Far Cry 5 is the most damning indictment of it's execution I can imagine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DaveKap posted:

I've missed pages and pages of this thread but I just realized the perfect video game comparison we could make for the Watchmen show that would make total sense to people who have read about, played, and understand the controversy surrounding... Far Cry 4.

Watchmen is Far Cry 4.

Both pieces of media seemed like they were going to be woke and smartly take down a portion of the American population but instead both pieces of media ended up being dumbly entertaining without any depth to its moral standards.

This is super unfair to Watchmen. It did have something to say, and said it well, it just went on to do a bunch of stupid poo poo after that.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like eps 5 and 6 (Looking Glass and Hooded Justice) were the best offerings but for slightly different reasons: Looking Glass gave us a deep dive on a new character dealing directly with the consequences of the original comic; and Hooded Justice took an underutilised legacy character and gave them an ingenius and new life.

That's not to say the main story and characters of 1-4 and 7-9 are totally bunk, but I feel like the series generally having a philosophy more focused on expanding on what had been done and looking at the consequences of Watchmen itself through old/new characters would have been better overall.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DaveKap posted:

Watchmen is Far Cry 4.

*scrunching up face really hard in thought* prestige television is like...videogame

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sleeveless posted:

prestige television

Lol, what the heck is this?

Besides an oxymoron of course

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You'd think, but literally 100% of people who are eager to say Obama Bad or Watchman Sucks hate minorities

Watchmen sucks almost as much as white people

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mulva posted:

4 was the one in Himalayan mountains, are you sure you don't mean 5?
I did mean 5 but honestly it applies to 3-5.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Primal is the best Far Cry.

Lubeman is the best superhero.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Please don't associate Lubeman with embarrassing takes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Regina King and Tim Blake Nelson were really phenomenal in this. I was kinda meh on them making a Watchmen sequel series, but it was worth it to see these two actors elevate the material, which already had that Lindelof punch.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The amount of LF style posting in this thread the whole time is amazing, especially when you have multiple posters using the term 'neoliberal' completely incorrectly.

Anyway, show started strong, then went a direction that wasn't as strong, and the execution of it faltered, even if it was trying something interesting and had great moments (and some very, very dumb ones) throughout. I don't want to generalize Lindelof's skill, but out of the 5 productions I've seen of his, that's a definite pattern. Stephen King vibes where you roll out a bunch of fruitful ideas and setup and then don't really have more than a basic endpoint in mind and kind of wander on over to it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first ten pages of this thread are gold. Kudos to the goons calling a lot of the payoffs and lol at the goon who jumped on team Rorschach before seeing the first ep and the other goon who was disappointed it wasn’t the Boys. :xd:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Deleted scene of LG taking out the 7C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XLQDeYqpE&t=72s

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

I was hoping someone else would recognize good old Buster Scruggs.

I love that grin he flashes after killing the first guy. And when he gets the last one, light shines through the bullet hole.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Show needed more Bunny Colvin as the newspaper vendor too. He was great in what little we saw of him, his interaction with Veidt at the end was great. Hope he didn’t die in the squid bullets assault.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 28, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

When this show started I though it was going to be about climate change to some degree since the original was written under the threat of nuclear Armageddon, doomsday clock at 2 minutes to midnight and well, it’s at 2 minutes to midnight now, so that’s the logical thing for a 2019 watchmen sequel to at least mention.

The name of the first episode (it’s summer and we’re running out of ice) reinforced that impression to me as did the bits in the previews of veidt/triue talking about ominous plans to save humanity from itself. But then obvs it didn’t go there at all and a lot of the clock ticking imagery seems kindof an empty callback in retrospect.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

massive spider posted:

The name of the first episode (it’s summer and we’re running out of ice)

This is a lyric taken from "Poor Jud is Dead" - a song from Oklahoma! (which Judd watched).

Also: Jud hanged himself.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah but that wouldn’t exclude other possibilities.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

When this show started I though it was going to be about climate change to some degree since the original was written under the threat of nuclear Armageddon, doomsday clock at 2 minutes to midnight and well, it’s at 2 minutes to midnight now, so that’s the logical thing for a 2019 watchmen sequel to at least mention.

The name of the first episode (it’s summer and we’re running out of ice) reinforced that impression to me as did the bits in the previews of veidt/triue talking about ominous plans to save humanity from itself. But then obvs it didn’t go there at all and a lot of the clock ticking imagery seems kindof an empty callback in retrospect.

In a world where all cars have been electric since the 1960s, climate change isn't really as much of a thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Replacing all cars with electric cars would be nice but it still probably wouldn't significantly change the equation. The power plants may be (probably are) still largely coal and natural gas. Cows still fart and corn is the biggest crop. There's a serious carbon overhead to making electric cars. There's still plenty of manufactured crap. People still fly planes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nail Rat posted:

Replacing all cars with electric cars would be nice but it still probably wouldn't significantly change the equation. The power plants may be (probably are) still largely coal and natural gas. Cows still fart and corn is the biggest crop. There's a serious carbon overhead to making electric cars. There's still plenty of manufactured crap. People still fly planes.

It would literally eliminate 75% of carbon-monoxide emissions. :shrug:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It would literally eliminate 75% of carbon-monoxide emissions. :shrug:

Well not if all the cars are getting their electricity from coal plants. A country where all transportation needs are electric would have to rely on nuclear or some sort of future Dr. M invented source of electricity to meet that kind of demand though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well not if all the cars are getting their electricity from coal plants. A country where all transportation needs are electric would have to rely on nuclear or some sort of future Dr. M invented source of electricity to meet that kind of demand though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Batteries don't produce power. Also Dr M hasn't been producing lithium for decades.

And transportation emissions are only 26% of greenhouse gas emissions.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well then in that case yeah I guess the climate change angle would have been an interesting one, but not all relevant to the story they wanted to tell.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Looking Glass was obsessed with Climate Change. He was studying all those squids from the sky like crazy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sleeveless posted:

The only real meaningful thing we've seen him done all season is oppose letting the cops act violently, he's literally a teddy bear. They probably went with a panda because they're cuter and generally seen as less dangerous (plus it lets them avoid the race connotation of someone named Black Bear) but regardless he's a big friendly stuffed animal among a bunch of violent action figures.

(I know this is really late, but:)

Also, "Panda" is a common slang term used by cops for black & white patrol cars driven by beat cops.

But the above is a really good analysis, too, and I hadn't really considered it, myself, but it works. He's the one consistently not-gung-ho cop on the force that isn't endorsing violence as a solution to problems, but an accelerant.

Oh, I just realized another one. He's a desk cop, so being the one vegetarian bear works there, too (as 'vegetarian' is a term I've seen in a few places for strictly in-office cops).

This was a really good show, I avoided it until just a few days ago, thinking it'd be another shitfest like the Snyder film, thus my lateness as I go through the thread.

Season 2 should only be made if it means more Lube Man.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Felt Ozymandias's characterization was off but not really being able to explain why until he started throwing levers and my wife said "Jeremy Irons would make a good Doctor (Who)." That's exactly what was going on there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jay-V posted:

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:

Quoting from over a hundred pages back because holy poo poo is this an incredible way to stumble onto the reveal.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
You may all already know this, but Alan Moore did an interview on Chapo. It's actually pretty interesting. Existentialism, magic, anarchy, Lovecraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm0wfAochA&t=2187s

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 16, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Minrad posted:

me before watching this show: a watchmen spinoff is wholly unnecessary
me after watching the show: hey i was right

dc: but don't you want to know how all of our heroes became who they are?
fanbase: you mean all the backstory world-building ancillary stuff in the book already?
dc: yes but 37 issues of that done worse..where are you going? how about dr manhattan meets all our current running books in watchmen: the sequel(s)? everyone is dr manhattan now, bathattan, supermanhattan, all dc comics are now watchmen related.
fanbase: well that all sounds horrible
dc: what about a lovely beat 'em up game? you know to capitalize on the parts of the book about kicking people's asses, the stuff people remember
fanbase: are you ok?
alan moore: *grumbles loudly from inside a cave*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked how in Far Cry 4 you got the best ending within 5 minutes of meeting Pagan Min

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
did anyone mention how they gave osterman a downton abbey flashback story to make the clone arc work

what a weird-rear end show all around

but hey, the awful movie got a ton of people to read the book...so will this thing.

can we talk about how incredible the book is some more?

how many of you picked up on what "fearful symmetry" was doing? i didn't notice it on my first 5 reads until i saw a breakdown of it somewhere and it blew my mind

don't click this if you haven't read the book (or i guess watched the bad movie version of it?)

https://medium.com/@pedrovribeiro/fearful-symmetry-almost-frame-by-frame-9a20c77651bd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1217906082221191168?s=21