Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

munce posted:

not looking so good for the west side of the island. Don't know where the people are though.

Most live in Kingscote IIRC but this is still mega bad.

Apart from the conservation efforts destroyed, and peoples homes THINK OF THE WINERIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

That Dang Lizard posted:

I'm in Adelaide. ...
Still, we are very lucky here compared to the other states affected by the fires. The sheer scale of the devastation horrifies me.

e: apparently KI is a write-off and the cold front is making the fires in the Adelaide Hills region a lot worse. loving hell.

To put very lucky into perspective Adelaide, city of ~1.3 million people is on the left side of this map. The hashed out bit is the burnt out area from a fire just before Christmas.

This fire, with multiple fatalities, scores of homes destroyed, orchards and vineyards burnt, and hundreds of livestock killed is insignificant next to the fires on KI and in other states.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

To add to this, it's been so hot and dry that subtropical rain forests in Queensland and Northern NSW that have never burned before have gone up in flames.

The permanently cool wet forests that haven't changed in 50 million years are now on fire for the first time? Will the Greens stop at nothing to push their sick agenda?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Someone was interviewing the mayor on ABC News a few hours ago while I was making dinner, he is insanely irresponsible. Maybe if your entire island is under threat it's time to postpone the tourist upselling for a while.

https://twitter.com/susanamet/status/1213047949678141440

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

uvar posted:

Someone was interviewing the mayor on ABC News a few hours ago while I was making dinner, he is insanely irresponsible. Maybe if your entire island is under threat it's time to postpone the tourist upselling for a while.

https://twitter.com/susanamet/status/1213047949678141440

https://twitter.com/CaseyTreloar/status/1213045933677535241?s=20

Uh Mayor maybe not hey.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It’s kinda sad that being able to see the stars and not have the horizon tinted red is a novelty that hasn’t really existed for several weeks.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Hell is re-annexing the vassal state of Australia

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Genuinely surprised no one decked your lovely politicians yet.

Got a friend in Australia studying.... stay safe you folks.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My broke brain can't handle it. There's nothing I can do about anything. I'm horrified and depressed and there's nothing I can do.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

My broke brain can't handle it. There's nothing I can do about anything. I'm horrified and depressed and there's nothing I can do.

Just crank this on repeat. It should probably be the national anthem at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICu907K4fN8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ewe2 posted:

You can't fire-break for a firestorm anyway, it's creating its own wind, throwing embers far ahead of it, and sucking up oxygen which further propels it along. These firestorms are also attacking territory very rarely touched by fire, unheard-of places like the west of Tasmania and the Snowy Mountains, places you associate with snow rather than fire.

Yep, from what I've heard hazard reduction burns don't make forests fire proof (especially if they were done the previous Autumn and the forest has had 9 months to build up fuel again) , it just makes them somewhat more fire resistant and puts them in a better position to be managed if a fire does break out. If there's been unprecedented hot weather for a sustained period and unprecedented lack of rain and strong winds and dry lightning strikes then they'll burn regardless.

Here's a facebook post about it, from the wife of a bushfire suppression professional. (He'd post himself except this season he won't have time to scratch his arse from November until March)
https://www.facebook.com/SerrynT/posts/10219086058636105

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

munce posted:

Just crank this on repeat. It should probably be the national anthem at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICu907K4fN8

Alternated with this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, from what I've heard hazard reduction burns don't make forests fire proof (especially if they were done the previous Autumn and the forest has had 9 months to build up fuel again) , it just makes them somewhat more fire resistant and puts them in a better position to be managed if a fire does break out. If there's been unprecedented hot weather for a sustained period and unprecedented lack of rain and strong winds and dry lightning strikes then they'll burn regardless.

The other elephant in the room (and it's why a convenient scapegoat like the Greens needed to be found) is the monoculture surrounding these national parks, its the very thing that makes firestorms possible. Planned burns aren't simply trying to reduce fuel, they're trying to reintroduce diversity back into the environment, a diversity that used to be the norm, ironically enough by that other elephant, indigenous people.

As I hope you will have gathered, the Australian landscape in its natural state is built by fire, it cannot be entirely avoided. So plants and animals have evolved to deal with a fire landscape, and our indigenous learnt to use fire as a land management tool. Not as a slash and burn form of agriculture, it's something more subtle than that. A diverse landscape of growth is not a landscape that can be damaged by fire in the way a monocultured landscape can. It helps guarantee that useful plants have somewhere to regenerate, that useful animals have somewhere to continue and therefore a recurrent and replenishable resource to humans.

Unfortunately Europeans came along and hosed all that up and now this is the result. Sooner or later our mismanagement of land would have this result, and climate change is the kicker. Now we can only be reactive and being proactive requires a national war-effort style of proactivity that we just don't have in the populace. poo poo is indeed hosed.

edit: I feel I should add that this knowledge is nothing new: it was described to me in highschool Geography 40 years ago. We've known this for at least that long.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 3, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

Meanwhile, on KI. :smith:

Edit: Kangaroo Island, South Australia for our non-Aus goons - picture is of the fire tornado mentioned above.

Fire tornado's do look amazing... I just wish they didn't usually happen around wild fires that are killing people, animals, and just, you know the environment in general. :(

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Donated what I could to a local effort. Please stay safe, Aussie goons. :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sent some money your way, good luck ausgoons!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

My Christmas/New Year's holiday plans were to drive from Melbourne to Sydney on the Hume Highway (inland, main route to Sydney) and return on the Prince's Highway (coast, scenic), visiting friends and family along the way.

My sister was having Christmas at Broulee (1), got evacuated to Moruya (2), and is unable to reach her house in Bega (3). She and her kids are currently safe in Moruya, but who knows how long that will last as there are fires both North and South of her so there is no way to leave town.

My brother in law lives in the middle of Gippsland (4). He decided not to return home after Christmas and is safe staying with his parents on the other side of the state. His cats are at risk.

I decided to cancel the scenic part of my trip and return home early via the Hume on the 2nd. The worst I had to deal with was poor visibility due to smoke, about 300m on the morning I left Canberra, down to 100m on the Hume near Tarcutta, and keeping an eye on the Tumbarumba fire (5) in case it got any closer to the Hume (it didn't).

We were driving for about 4 hours at highway speeds before we got far enough South to be clear of the smoke somewhere near Wangaratta.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Past due from Christmas. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPUv9FuTxQ

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Donated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Couldn't get my credit card working with the other options so I donated to the AU Red Cross.

This is all truly horrifying and things aren't going to go back to the way they used to be.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Think of all the rich multi-millionare coal baron cunts around the world who will be donating loving nothing.
Most of whom would be able to buy the entire state new fire engines, equipment, and pay a decade worth of firefighter wages for a tiny fraction of their weekly income.
gently caress those cunts who are ultimately responsible for the end of the world. I'm allowed say oval office because this is an Australian thread you cunts.
CUUUNNNNNNTSSSS

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Apparently my dad's cousin has (or used to have) a farm in the middle-west of Kangaroo Island.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's now Saturday morning in Australia and NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia are bracing themselves for what today brings.

You can follow the news on the ABC liveblog

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-04/nsw-vic-australia-bushfires-continue-burning-live-blog-january-4/11840348

and also on the Guardian Australia's liveblog

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rne-latest-news

ABC news stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBL9b-vVA34

Stay safe.

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 4, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's kind of remarkable how few deaths there have been. Does that count as a silver lining? :smith:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Black Saturday fires back in 2009 prompted a lot of changes in peoples attitudes and how bushfires were managed and prepared for.
Australians learnt hard lessons and the low death toll now will stem from those.

People are far more aware of what 'staying and defending' actually involves.

https://theconversation.com/what-has-australia-learned-from-black-saturday-111245

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 3, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

actionjackson posted:

sent some money your way, good luck ausgoons!!!

Mozi posted:

Couldn't get my credit card working with the other options so I donated to the AU Red Cross.

This is all truly horrifying and things aren't going to go back to the way they used to be.

Thank you all for your generosity :glomp:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Lobbed £50 to Mallacoota Brigade, stay safe cunts

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol is it actually forum policy that the big C is ok as long as the thread is about Australia?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

lol is it actually forum policy that the big C is ok as long as the thread is about Australia?

If not it fucken well should be.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Donated to Rural Fire Brigades Association of Queensland Inc.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The ABC reporter in Bermagui has pretty much just persuaded a guy live on TV to evacuate from the town :unsmith:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/windjunky/status/1213230606181531648?s=19

Senior BoM climatologist.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m in Tasmania at the airport and the plane can’t land because of the smoke.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Obviously a GREENIE INFILTRATOR

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

it's a point of contention between the mods and the australians but we try not to bring our beautiful culture outside of those threads

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

goatface posted:

In a few decades Australia is going to be a mythical place we tell children about, like Atlantis, only on fire instead of under the sea.

These are the stories that they'll tell after moving to refugee centers on Nauru and Papua New Guinea.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Two people have died in the fires on Kangaroo Island.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

well why not posted:

The constant smoke haze has to have negative long term consequences. The sky is just white constantly (like in the UK) and everyone just feels low energy and a bit sick. It's been like this for weeks. My asthma is way worse, my SO had a chest infection and it just stuck around forever. Filthy air everywhere. A/C helps a bit but you can't live indoors. I wonder what this is doing to little kids and old folks.

It feels like it's always about to rain, but never does. The sky is white, UV feels low and it's just kind of dim. It's just sticky and awful constantly. I can't remember when it last rained. November, maybe? October? Longer? I certainly can't recall the last time the stars were out. It sucks, even being so removed here in Sydney metro. Can't imagine how hellish it is near the actual fires.

That Dang Lizard posted:

I'm in Adelaide. We had just opened up the house as a cool weather front has just moved in, but had to shut everything again about 10 minutes later due to a sudden wave of ash blowing in from KI. It must be bad over there.

Still, we are very lucky here compared to the other states affected by the fires. The sheer scale of the devastation horrifies me.

e: apparently KI is a write-off and the cold front is making the fires in the Adelaide Hills region a lot worse. loving hell.

something about all this, the sense of “this is
how we live now/entire chunks of the world are written off now”, is striking a chord with me all the way out in chicago. it’s supposed to be dead winter here - i keep thinking about the winters we had when i was a kid, the snowdrifts that got built up by the snowplows, the igloos we’d build in the school playground. how, by november at latest, the snow boots & heavy coats would be out, and any other shoes or jackets went in the closet till spring.

this year it keeps bouncing up to like 40F and the snow is thin & doesn’t stick, when it even happens at all. the last few years have been like that (at least back to the winter of the polar vortex, when it hit -50F w/windchill)

it’s so surreal to sit outside in the crisp, pleasant air at a time when i should be curled up inside desperate for warmth. and then i look at my phone, & halfway across the world, people are sending dispatches & photos of what looks like actual hell on earth. its loving incomprehensible.

the winters of my childhood are gone forever, i think. the world all of us knew is gone. i don’t know what happens next, but a lot of people are going to need a lot of help from here on out

kicked $100 to the red cross. sending solidarity & love from across the world

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The plane that was going to take me to Melbourne from Tasmania couldn't land here in Tassie because of the smoke, so i'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

THOT PATROL posted:

something about all this, the sense of “this is
it’s supposed to be dead winter here - i keep thinking about the winters we had when i was a kid, the snowdrifts that got built up by the snowplows, the igloos we’d build in the school playground. how, by november at latest, the snow boots & heavy coats would be out, and any other shoes or jackets went in the closet till spring.

this year it keeps bouncing up to like 40F and the snow is thin & doesn’t stick, when it even happens at all. the last few years have been like that (at least back to the winter of the polar vortex, when it hit -50F w/windchill)

the winters of my childhood are gone forever, i think. the world all of us knew is gone. i don’t know what happens next, but a lot of people are going to need a lot of help from here on out

Same :(