Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

not really when entering a credit card number on a computer tho. the string of digits is much longer, entered more infrequently, and most importantly is used to enter a lot more than just that credit card number only. v mossad or not mossad territory where realistically someone that wants card numbers is just gonna buy them in bulk from someone that attached a skimmer to an ATM, not try to deduce them from wear patterns on a phone screen.

poo poo smacks of "someone had an idea", where someone didn't consider the idea's usefulness beyond being able to bring up their keen security insights come performance review time.

edit: gently caress this is a TV, it doesn't even have wear patterns because it's from a remote. mossad not mossad energy intensifies.

otoh, this is samsung* and it's entirely possible they've had malware apps in their tv appstore that do some weird poo poo like record cursor position or something. obviously the solution to that isn't "randomize the keypad", but i could see their top tier engineering talent thinking it would be

*the company that brought you antivirus scanning for your television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is so incredibly easy to snoop remote control ir though that i don't find it that unreasonable to try to mitigate it a bit. it should be a pretty doable task to build a simple but sensitive device to snoop ir from all the windows in an apartment building at once.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is so incredibly easy to snoop remote control ir though that i don't find it that unreasonable to try to mitigate it a bit. it should be a pretty doable task to build a simple but sensitive device to snoop ir from all the windows in an apartment building at once.

same with snooping your Bluetooth mouse, which is why this was deployed for some software.

it’s still silly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the remotes that have cursor support use bluetooth, so yeah

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
seems weird to be mega worried about someone snooping your IR blasts to steal your Netflix password. unless you’ve already gone full bars on windows and reinforced steel door territory

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Vomik posted:

seems weird to be mega worried about someone snooping your IR blasts to steal your Netflix password. unless you’ve already gone full bars on windows and reinforced steel door territory

the picture is of a prompt to enter credit card details.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

infernal machines posted:

otoh, this is samsung* and it's entirely possible they've had malware apps in their tv appstore that do some weird poo poo like record cursor position or something. obviously the solution to that isn't "randomize the keypad", but i could see their top tier engineering talent thinking it would be

possibly, yeah, but it's still "locked the door but left the window open" territory--i'd be fairly surprised if malware able to arbitrarily read the cursor position couldn't also just screenshot the display or capture keystrokes. idk enough about the sarnsnug tv OS to say that for certainty, but it smells like someone taking a "more ~*security features*~ means more secure" approach. system security aint a lump sum affair where having enough security points prevents anyone other than level 5 ultra ninja hackers from getting in: that only works in deus ex games.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
probably there’s just an option to mark fields as “secure” so it won’t let you use a malware and emoji font keyboard for your gmail password, payment card information seems like you want “secure,” and on the tv “secure” means you get the scrambler, at no point was a specific threat discussed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Midjack posted:

or doing the trick from entrapment where you look to see which buttons have been repeatedly pressed.

it does what it claims to but the marginal cost isn’t worth it for several reasons. first, if you’re worried about getting your pin shoulder surfed or recorded at distance it’s simple to mount a keypad where you can block it with your body or otherwise make it difficult to observe by a second party, though it’s possible to deduct the key presses from arm motion it’s much harder than when you can see a fingertip push a button. second, if you’re using a multi factor system (card + pin) then you have additional safety though admittedly hardening both factors isn’t bad to do in any case. third, if you have some door that’s super critical yet somehow operates off a single shared pin and is observable from outside your perimeter then it would make some kind of sense to use these though if you have the money to waste on these then you can afford an eac system with individual pins.

so yeah, it does what it says but at ridiculous cost for not much benefit. it was the same era that saw the us gov switch from the excellent sargent & greenleaf mechanical combination locks to the sucktastic kaba-mas electromechanical locks, so they were just on a kick of electronic security devices for their own sake in the 90s.

thanks for coming to my street corner talk, would you like one of my handwritten manifestos?

would you be surprised to learn that many secure facilities do still use scramble pads, and s&g locks are still being replaced with electric combo locks? btw the best thing about those is if they are installed outdoors in many parts of the world the lcd will straight up not work during the winter

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

would you be surprised to learn that many secure facilities do still use scramble pads, and s&g locks are still being replaced with electric combo locks? btw the best thing about those is if they are installed outdoors in many parts of the world the lcd will straight up not work during the winter

i think existing s&gs can stay until they break but new builds and broken locks have to use the electronic trash by law. it’s fabulous and i hope some congresspeople enjoyed the mountains of cocaine and/or epstein plane rides they got for doing that.

not surprised there are some surviving scramble pads, that just means they haven’t had the budget to upgrade to something that sucks less.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry and Sergey have apparently all but left Alphabet and don’t show up to public events.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

Larry and Sergey have apparently all but left Alphabet and don’t show up to public events.

there is not that much "apparently" about it, as they stepped down a month ago. they're still on the board, but it'd be a touch weird for them to show up too much when they have no real day-to-day role anymore.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

sundar was made CEO of everything.

news is he’s starting to crack down on some of the dumb money-losing nonsense projects alphabet does, so prepare to see some more google cancellations in the future.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i guess this goes here. jesus loving christ

https://medium.com/@rossformaine/i-was-googles-head-of-international-relations-here-s-why-i-left-49313d23065

quote:

It was no different in the workplace culture. Senior colleagues bullied and screamed at young women, causing them to cry at their desks. At an all-hands meeting, my boss said, “Now you Asians come to the microphone too. I know you don’t like to ask questions.” At a different all-hands meeting, the entire policy team was separated into various rooms and told to participate in a “diversity exercise” that placed me in a group labeled “homos” while participants shouted out stereotypes such as “effeminate” and “promiscuous.” Colleagues of color were forced to join groups called “Asians” and “Brown people” in other rooms nearby.

In each of these cases, I brought these issues to HR and senior executives and was assured the problems would be handled. Yet in each case, there was no follow up to address the concerns — until the day I was accidentally copied on an email from a senior HR director. In the email, the HR director told a colleague that I seemed to raise concerns like these a lot, and instructed her to “do some digging” on me instead.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

really easy to stand up for what you believe in and return home to maine after making at least 8 figgies in your decade at the goog

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

plz remit pleasure

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

really easy to stand up for what you believe in and return home to maine after making at least 8 figgies in your decade at the goog

*and while you're running for the democratic senate primary

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ok can we talk about like, the fuckin crazy rear end racism tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

so uhh....is this normal for the survey app?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ok can we talk about like, the fuckin crazy rear end racism tho

we could, we'll put it here in the discussion queue, next to the crazy rear end sexism, malicious labour practices, and naked contempt for any kind of regulation re: privacy

they are a bunch of ballpit clowns running a multi billion dollar company. no one at any point has ever told them no and made it stick, and so they will just do literally whatever they want, in a dozen directions at once, and almost all of it will be at best unethical if not outright evil

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in any sane company the adults in the room would have shut that poo poo down ages ago if only to avoid the inevitable lawsuits and labour complaints. at google, if there are any adults in the room, they've long since been marginalized and are probably just looking to keep their heads down, because the executives clearly do not give a gently caress about labour issues, except to the extent that they can play syndicate with their fiefdoms

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol stadia producing 2020 laffs at an solid rate

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1214322600635228160

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think google is going to test their stuff with anything but chrome.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
that's fine if they don't test other browsers
it's even fine is they say that Chome is the only browser supported

but blocking IE and presumably Firefox and Safari for no reason is bad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

~Coxy posted:

sorry what I meant was they’re going to intentionally break every other browser except chrome.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

~Coxy posted:

does it actually work on firefox if you fake the user agent string?

i just assumed it needed some stadia specific functionality that only chome has

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
the original tweet says it works fine in Edge

it's possible it needs something that is only in Chromium so Safari and FF wouldn't work with UA fakery though

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

~Coxy posted:

the original tweet says it works fine in Edge

it's possible it needs something that is only in Chromium so Safari and FF wouldn't work with UA fakery though

the original tweet string says it works fine in chromium edge only because of his hardware configuration and that the prohibition on edge is because it wont fail over to software acceleration gracefully

idk if thats true but the real answer is

The Management posted:

sorry what I meant was they’re going to intentionally break every other browser except chrome.

which duh of course why wouldnt they theyd be dumb not to

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

lol if you think google is going to test their stuff with anything but chrome.

they went out of their way to break the way youtube worked in Edge every time a new Edge came out that fixed the previous problems. its why Microsoft switched to chomium and of course now they need to break that somehow.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

LastInLine posted:

the original tweet string says it works fine in chromium edge only because of his hardware configuration and that the prohibition on edge is because it wont fail over to software acceleration gracefully

i don't think chromium is going to help stadia not fail lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

they went out of their way to break the way youtube worked in Edge every time a new Edge came out that fixed the previous problems. its why Microsoft switched to chomium and of course now they need to break that somehow.

google using microsoft’s own playbook against them will never stop being funny

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dropped my android last night. there appears to be a crack in the screen protector. can't tell if there is also one in the screen below

scroogled again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

i was just thinking this.

also google becoming microsoft 2.0, but with ballpits and 2010s tech culture is also pretty hilarious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

dropped my android last night. there appears to be a crack in the screen protector. can't tell if there is also one in the screen below

scroogled again

perhaps you should attach it to a piece of string that runs through the sleeves of your coat, so you don't drop it again OP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

Microsoft never broke anyones poo poo on purpose like that.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Clicked a link to join someone's "Teams" chat for the first time the other day, got told I had to either download a standalone client or use Edge.

Lol, sounds legitimate.

(So I launched Edge then got prompted for credentials and had no idea if I could use a private account or needed one in their corporate structure and gave up, continuing to use email. We'll call that a success!)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft never broke anyones poo poo on purpose like that.

this is the kind of comedy I come to this forum for

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

James Baud posted:

Clicked a link to join someone's "Teams" chat for the first time the other day, got told I had to either download a standalone client or use Edge.

Lol, sounds legitimate.

(So I launched Edge then got prompted for credentials and had no idea if I could use a private account or needed one in their corporate structure and gave up, continuing to use email. We'll call that a success!)

you can invite external guests to 365 groups, including Teams. if they sent it to ur email you can just sign in with ur 365 account and you'll be a guest in their 365 tenant.

The Management posted:

this is the kind of comedy I come to this forum for

they never broke anything on purpose. they got dinged for including basic functionality in windows by default.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

chrom-e-o's: now slightly more useless than before, or add another blown rose to the garden of google failures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted: