Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I think you're conflating trigger with cause.

I guess you're right. Anyway I'd say this incident is closer to the Astro-Hungarian hawks getting their war with Serbia after endless baying without first getting an excuse (in the form of the dead archduke) and instead just deciding to do it, just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

fafish posted:

Excellent work by the army and their intelligence (be it CIA or in-house), and excellent work by the generals that pitched the president into this. Bad guys got a kick in the groin that is deeply registered. A lot of positive and encouraging feedback from Iranian and Iraqi citizens.

If the Iranian regime directly or through its proxies target American civilians they will be exposed as the terrorists they are. If they target army personnel that still doesn't cut it and another high ranked of theirs will be targeted. Only a symmetric hit against a US high ranking officer can really show strength. Good luck with that.

To the bunch of people that are worried about an escalation. Worry not, you deal with some thirld world bullying flintstones, they really understand power. The goal is to sit them on a negotiation table and that will happen ultimately.

Lot of respect to all Iranians that have suffered all these years under the bullies.

https://twitter.com/BASEDSAVAGE_/status/1093385072219222017?s=19

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So uh my swedish news flashes are telling me the US is sending another 3000 troop to the middle east.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

fafish posted:

Excellent work by the army and their intelligence (be it CIA or in-house), and excellent work by the generals that pitched the president into this. Bad guys got a kick in the groin that is deeply registered. A lot of positive and encouraging feedback from Iranian and Iraqi citizens.

If the Iranian regime directly or through its proxies target American civilians they will be exposed as the terrorists they are. If they target army personnel that still doesn't cut it and another high ranked of theirs will be targeted. Only a symmetric hit against a US high ranking officer can really show strength. Good luck with that.

To the bunch of people that are worried about an escalation. Worry not, you deal with some thirld world bullying flintstones, they really understand power. The goal is to sit them on a negotiation table and that will happen ultimately.

Lot of respect to all Iranians that have suffered all these years under the bullies.

John Bolton is a goon?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

So uh my swedish news flashes are telling me the US is sending another 3000 troop to the middle east.

They're deploying a fast mobility unit division of the 82nd airborne (paratroopers). So about 700 to start. Then after that come the additional 3-4k. They're going to Kuwait.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

Astro-Hungarian

drat, what timeline are you from? sounds :krad:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Randarkman posted:

Franz Ferdinand assassination really isn't the most applicable I think and its quite overblown as the single explanation for WW1, especially out of context. What it was is that it gave the hardliners in Austria-Hungary who'd been hurting for a war with Serbia for years the excuse they needed and the Germans, rather than try to stop them or even find out what they were planning to do, just told them "sure, whatever, Germany supports you."

Uh replace "Austria-Hungary" with "Saudi Arabia" and "Germany" with "US" and "Serbia" with "Iran" and that's basically the same thing, except the hardliners in the US want as war just as bad if not more than the Saudi's

Except Germany wanted a war too (although for different reasons than A-H). Really everyone wanted a war.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The US isn't currently in a strategic position to invade Iran although we are likely in a position to lob a bunch of missiles into it

4k troops is a raindrop in a torrent compared to whats needed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

First probated and now this.

https://twitter.com/NPA_English/status/1213146037227048960

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jasus Christ posted:

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1213141648475119621

*Punches someone at random in the grocery store* "For real though, I just want everyone to calm down."

I'm reminded of something a Dutch chess grandmaster once said:

quote:

"How different is chess in the United States. The game of chess has never been held in great esteem by the North Americans. Their culture is steeped in deeply anti-intellectual tendencies. They pride themselves in having created the game of poker. It is their national game, springing from a tradition of westward expansion, of gun-slinging skirt chasers who slept with cows and horses. They distrust chess as a game of Central European immigrants with a homesick longing for clandestine conspiracies in quiet coffee houses. Their deepest conviction is that bluff and escalation will achieve more than scheming and patience (witness their foreign policy).

Then again he also said "women have never thought or made anything worth considering", so eh.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Orange Devil posted:

Then again he also said "women have never thought or made anything worth considering", so eh.

Ironically Jennifer Shahade is a chess grandmaster and professional poker player!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Orange Devil posted:

The lesson here is that the Dutch don't get nearly enough poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnC-yaOHkM

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

The US isn't currently in a strategic position to invade Iran although we are likely in a position to lob a bunch of missiles into it

Iran is one of the least friendly places to invade in the world and unlike Iraq we don't have a puppet nation who'd be okay with us undertaking a military buildup for months on their border. An actual invasion of Iran is off the table for reasons of physical impossibility.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

atelier morgan posted:

Iran is one of the least friendly places to invade in the world and unlike Iraq we don't have a puppet nation who'd be okay with us undertaking a military buildup for months on their border. An actual invasion of Iran is off the table for reasons of physical impossibility.

If they manage to neutralize the Iranian small boat navy and missile positions they can attempt naval invasions of Bandar Abbas and Bandar Bushehr, but anything further strains belief.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ham posted:

If they manage to neutralize the Iranian small boat navy and missile positions they can attempt naval invasions of Bandar Abbas and Bandar Bushehr, but anything further strains belief.

That's what their vast supply of naval mines are for.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fafish posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hey so are you planning to enlist?

I’m already pensioned out for life from one forever war but I’d be happy to see you go and do your part.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Am I wrong in thinking that the US could force Iraq to let us use their country as a base? I'm sure they wouldn't like it, but could we strong arm them?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

taqueso posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that the US could force Iraq to let us use their country as a base? I'm sure they wouldn't like it, but could we strong arm them?

It's not like you haven't been doing that for decades already..

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

taqueso posted:

that was the point of the Iraq war.

it failed, to the point that any US base would be spending most of its time fighting off attacks from locals with ordnance marked "Made In Iran" on a regular basis, and that's before the ACTUAL iranian forces picked off any elements of the supply chain they thought looked tasty in the mountains.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Frosted Flake posted:

Hey so are you planning to enlist?

I’m already pensioned out for life from one forever war but I’d be happy to see you go and do your part.

He posts like he enlisted 6 months ago

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Me and my buddy enlisted at the same time right after high school. He joined the navy, I joined the army but ended up skipping out on my ship date because I'd had to change jobs due to colourblindless and was disappointed with that, and also an impulsive kid. I moved in with my canadian significant other instead.

We both went in like "hey, it's college money" and after he got out of boot camp it was amazing watching him go from "hey man, beats McDonald's, I'm not planning on shooting anyone" to ":911:" to "the US military is the single dumbest organization on the face of this planet" over the course of about a year and a half.

e: now he has PTSD and never got that college money. :911: indeed

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Actually I'm cool with us all dying in WW3 now. Thanks.
https://twitter.com/_Snape_/status/1212988082166718465

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Me and my buddy enlisted at the same time right after high school. He joined the navy, I joined the army but ended up skipping out on my ship date because I'd had to change jobs due to colourblindless and was disappointed with that, and also an impulsive kid. I moved in with my canadian significant other instead.

We both went in like "hey, it's college money" and after he got out of boot camp it was amazing watching him go from "hey man, beats McDonald's, I'm not planning on shooting anyone" to ":911:" to "the US military is the single dumbest organization on the face of this planet" over the course of about a year and a half.

e: now he has PTSD and never got that college money. :911: indeed

I actually missed the ":911:" phase first read

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

mila kunis posted:

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1212528830218407936

for some reason this account has become restricted and its tweets hidden.

Is this account reliable? Because if so, this is horrifying.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Snipee posted:

Oh man, I bet I could write a script that used user data to rewrite news headlines and abstracts on the fly for maximum engagement.

Hold on while I sell my soul real quick because this is gonna make me a fuckin billionaire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Feldegast42 posted:

They're there mostly to be 4000 tries at casus belli

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
bad poster go bye bye
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1213185120032739328

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Why do you keep posting useless takes from your dumbass twitter feed? I understand it's your thing but it's completely poo poo.

It seems that there is a lot of potential strike surface area for the multiple military organizations that we just attacked. Have any of our ME allies or aligned nations made any direct statements about the launch? The success of the Houthis against SA really makes me wonder whether the response might extend to our allies in the region as well.

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/iran/.premium-by-killing-soleimani-u-s-takes-another-step-toward-war-with-iran-1.8351198

Looks like the view from Israel is that we have pushed all in.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 3, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was reinstated to shore up US forces spread thin across the ME.

who do you think is going to reinstate the draft, name some names of the politicians you think will commit suicide by voting yes

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/DavidADaoud/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Well well. If it isn't the consequences to my actions.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Snipee posted:

Yeah it's pretty accurate, which is probably why it is being restricted and shadow banned.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Libluini posted:

I do remember an article in our media talking about how the Polish president had this weird thing going where he would get up during a flight, walk into the cockpit and start screaming at his pilots, which probably was the reason the plane crashed. Apparently it was a miracle he hadn't died horribly in a plane accident until then.

So your response to an unproven allegation is an out of this world fantasy explanation. Nice. Clearly SA gets the third rate Putin trolls.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Why do you keep posting useless takes from your dumbass twitter feed? I understand it's your thing but it's completely poo poo.
Too bad.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

An invasion of Iran could mean fighting proxies with Hezbollah in Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon. It would probably also require defending the KSA and UAE from attacks on oil refineries and desalination plants, as well as attacks on shipping in the Gulf.

An Iran war would be a multi-country war. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was reinstated to shore up US forces spread thin across the ME.

Lol. The draft isn't coming back unless actual WW3 breaks out and we're fighting Russia or China, and even then, that would be a surprise. The military doesnt want conscription and any politician who approves a draft for fighting another war in the middle east might as well commit suicide.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, I've spent the time since high school desperately scrabbling from gig to gig and now you're going to give me a gun and expect me not to frag my officer -- Millennials and Gen Z

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

The military doesnt want conscription and any politician who approves a draft for fighting another war in the middle east might as well commit suicide.
This is the truth. In modern US doctrine conscripts are a liability, not an asset. Short of some Red Dawn type poo poo the draft is dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is the truth. In modern US doctrine conscripts are a liability, not an asset. Short of some Red Dawn type poo poo the draft is dead.

this. i feel like if a war does happen and trump tries it. it would go bad real loving fast.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i feel like if a war does happen and trump tries it. it would go bad real loving fast.
Full-scale army mutiny? A military coup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

Full-scale army mutiny? A military coup?

probably big protests and poo poo. think vietnam protests and riots but bigger.