Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Got some bad news for you about selling weapons being a justifiable cause of war

“Did you say ‘Ray-gun’? I’m sorry, I don’t watch Star Wars.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Apparently the type of drone Iran shot down last year costs a whooping 123 million. (Beware New York Post)
Seems like a relatively good deal, to me.
Well, excluding the fact that those are ridiculous sums of money which should be invested in the well-being of both populations instead of weeding a perpetual war machine, but details.

And if you start flying 4 million dollar semi-retired Predators over Iran its not as good of a deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Robot Hobo posted:

We bought our first house last year, after years of trying. The front yard came with a 30-foot-tall flagpole cemented into the ground. I eventually realized that I can't imagine hanging an American flag from it, for these exact reasons. I know it's not universally true, or fair, but I'm no longer able to disassociate that flag (or similar shows or symbols of patriotism) from the very worst things about my country.

You should purchase a large Palestinian flag, or similar

E: comedy option, Iranian flag

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

No seriously, what are the people calling this? Is it an act of combat? In this case the USA entered war. Is it an assassination? A murder? An extrajudicial death penalty?

At least as of a few years ago, I believe the verbiage is a targeted killing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Surely they are still cheaper than a whole drone, right?

He was strategically removed.
No seriously, what are the people calling this? Is it an act of combat? In this case the USA entered war. Is it an assassination? A murder? An extrajudicial death penalty?

According to Sir Donald Trump it's being described as a termination.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

hobbez posted:

“Foreign Official”. As if he was not the single largest proponent and sponsor of terrorism in Iran. She makes it sound like he was some harmless diplomat, this is a complete joke.
were you one of the normal-rear end dudes who got all riled up about "some people did something" too?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213229682423975936
al-Mayadeen were the first people to confirm the airstrike yesterday, but as always grain of salt etc

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

ImpAtom posted:

So... he was sponsoring terrorism in Iran? Or was he some kind of nebulous ur terrorist? Tell me about him please

Iran is the single largest state supporter of terrorism internationally and he was the driver of Iran’s foreign policy. This guy was a major supporter of Assad, was responsible for many American deaths in Iraq, was considered next in line for a regime that violently represses the people of Iran, and supports Hezbollah and Hamas.

It’s not that hard to understand.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

T. Bombastus posted:

were you one of the normal-rear end dudes who got all riled up about "some people did something" too?

Eh not really but Omar is definitely horrible.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

hobbez posted:

“Foreign Official”. As if he was not the single largest proponent and sponsor of terrorism in Iran. She makes it sound like he was some harmless diplomat, this is a complete joke.

Man was bad.

Killing a high member of state for no specific reason whatsoever without notification or authorization from Congress also very bad.

It'd be tantamount to someone killing our SecDef during a troop visit. And you best believe we'd retaliate if that were to happen.

No one is disagreeing that Soleimani was a bad guy here. The main sticking point is the method (unauthorized assassination) and the possible impact (starting another war in the ME over petty personal reasons, further chaos in the region, possible terrorist action abroad) that this is going to have. Soleimani isn't Bin Laden or Al-Zarqawi, the man was the Iranian equivalent to a cabinet member. There are massive higher-level politics and implications at play here.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

hobbez posted:

Eh not really but Omar is definitely horrible.

Why? She did a huge amount of outreach and listening to the Jewish community in St Louis Park last year.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

According to Sir Donald Trump it's being described as a termination.

One of those post-9 month terminations he's been so concerned about. Projection as usual

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hobbez posted:

Iran is the single largest state supporter of terrorism internationally and he was the driver of Iran’s foreign policy. This guy was a major supporter of Assad, was responsible for many American deaths in Iraq, was considered next in line for a regime that violently represses the people of Iran, and supports Hezbollah and Hamas.

yeah the guy was a loving monster and i agree with you. but killing him is loving dumb even if you can kinda morally justifiable to some extent on some kinda of level. mostly because assassinating foreign officials is kinda dumb and bad plus we just made poo poo worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Man was bad.

Killing a high member of state for no specific reason whatsoever without notification or authorization from Congress also very bad.

It'd be tantamount to someone killing our SecDef during a troop visit. And you best believe we'd retaliate if that were to happen.

No one is disagreeing that Soleimani was a bad guy here. The main sticking point is the method (unauthorized assassination) and the possible impact (starting another war in the ME over petty personal reasons, further chaos in the region, possible terrorist action abroad) that this is going to have. Soleimani isn't Bin Laden or Al-Zarqawi, the man was the Iranian equivalent to a cabinet member. There are massive higher-level politics and implications at play here.

:emptyquote:

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213231451132616705

welp.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hobbez posted:

Im an unfunny white noise shitposter. Im not very active on the forums, and ive made a lot of drive by posts that I shouldn't have made. So I am no expert on what people should say or how they should comport themselves here.

With that being said, after the litteral millions of innocents dead or displaced after what we did in Iraq under false pretenses, I think that anyone cheerleading us into war on these forums should be banned. We live in a society and have an obligation to participate in it. That includes calling out propaganda and it extends to the mods and their forums. You can't have a truly neutral arbiter of discussion when one side is slinging propaganda in bad faith.

If this pisses a mod off then go head abd ban me as well. I was thinking of rereging under another name for a fresh start to the new year, and lowtax could use the money.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 3, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

hobbez posted:

Iran is the single largest state supporter of terrorism internationally

More like USA>KSA>Iran

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

hobbez posted:

ok now do america

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hobbez posted:

oh boy do I have bad news for you about this guy named Petraeus, and the reason ISIS was tooling around with American guns

sorry, man. he'd have loved to have funded as many terrorists as us or the Saudis but he had to make do with quality over quantity

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Where’s the “that’s bait” gif when you need it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^ it's better than having 3 pages of talk on nukes

hobbez posted:

Xi Jinping is running concentration camps genociding millions of his people and organizing the mass rape of their women.

He's also a high ranking official who we don't kill because we don't want start a war with China.

This isn't that hard to understand but I'm guessing you're still going to have a hard time of it because you're upset about Omar being a muslim.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Donald’s going to keep assassinating random people until someone congratulates him on being a big strong daddy with a rock hard orange dick, isn’t he?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

jesus christ we're literally going to keep doing this until iran retaliates

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213229682423975936
al-Mayadeen were the first people to confirm the airstrike yesterday, but as always grain of salt etc

What are the odds this strike is related to this:

https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1213178195547246593

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...what is that? Is it...is...that a FLAG?!? No way!

In case you missed it, this is a United States flag!

Thanks! I've been living under a rock for 5 decades and wasn't sure what country I am from.

I hate how these assholes have co-opted the flag. Like, just about any time I see one on a car sticker it sucks that I automatically assume they're a MAGA prick. Then, down here in NE Florida, you have these stupid pickup trucks that mount a big 6 foot flag from the cab and it's so...I dunno...corny?

"Ah, poo poo, mayn, r u frum Amerrica? So I am I, mayn! Shitch'yea! Merricu's fuckin grayt!"

Do other countries do this outside of soccer matches? I mean since Nazi Germany flags were a thing?

Also sucks how I know that 95% of the time I see a cross decal, a FOP sticker, a yellow ribbon or something that in theory is ostensibly supposed to represent something good and hopeful, I can safely assume that the person displaying them loving sucks

Years back I started to look for United States flags when I was out and about. If you start looking for them there is a shocking goddamn amount.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1213231182525194242

EDIT:

Oh lord...

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1213230204933554178

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Donald’s going to keep assassinating random people until someone congratulates him on being a big strong daddy with a rock hard orange dick, isn’t he?

yeah. that or he legit thinks a war would help him but i honestly think he is too dumb to think even that. this is just "he found a new thing to kill" type poo poo.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Much like initial reporting after a mass shooting event is often wrong either through maliciousness or confusion, I think we should have a healthy dose of skepticism about events being posted in the wake of the assassination. Wait to see corroboration before leaping to conclusions.

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213233197980495872?s=20

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah the guy was a loving monster and i agree with you. but killing him is loving dumb even if you can kinda morally justifiable to some extent on some kinda of level. mostly because assassinating foreign officials is kinda dumb and bad plus we just made poo poo worse.

It was an unsanctioned, unauthorized, and (probably, I dunno) highly illegal attack intended to murder a foreign official. If Iran pulled the exact same thing in Iraq on an American delegation we’d call it terrorism and bomb the poo poo out of them.

Not disagreeing with the consensus on Soliemani at all. Just really not a fan of the US doing this kind of thing. Especially without Congressional approval or notification.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

What are the odds this strike is related to this:

https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1213178195547246593

trumps idea of peace seems to be killing all factions until the survivors bend the knee or surrender because thats how movies work.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Some people claim there are those that have no loving idea what they are doing. It's true. I won't say who... Trump. Won't say it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Much like initial reporting after a mass shooting event is often wrong either through maliciousness or confusion, I think we should have a healthy dose of skepticism about events being posted in the wake of the assassination. Wait to see corroboration before leaping to conclusions.

I think it's fair to believe that we're doing all the worst things possible right now to rush into another stupid foreverwar, actually

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait did we just do it again?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Retro42 posted:

It was an unsanctioned, unauthorized, and (probably, I dunno) highly illegal attack intended to murder a foreign official. If Iran pulled the exact same thing in Iraq on an American delegation we’d call it terrorism and bomb the poo poo out of them.

Not disagreeing with the consensus on Soliemani at all. Just really not a fan of the US doing this kind of thing. Especially without Congressional approval or notification.

oh i agree. wasnt trying to centrist it. just trying to sound out an opinion of mine. like i can understand the strike on some kinda level but its loving bad and dumb and unsactioned and every other negative and there is no postive out of this outside "bad man died" which doesnt mean poo poo at the end of the day and its all negative gains.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

Wait did we just do it again?

what does your heart tell you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Did anyone at the top levels of our government stop to think that this could induce some IS affiliated group of nutbars to attack some American ally or us ourselves just to stir the pot? Because if I was one of those knucklehead caliphate monsters, that would definitely be crossing my mind as an option right now. I mean how easy would it be for US to blame that on Iran and make things even worse..

We'll probably find out in a month or so.

bobjr posted:

Trump only dislikes the Iraq War because we essentially lost it, I’m sure he has a plan in his head about how it would be perfect if he was in charge

Well, after all, he knows more than the generals, remember?

haveblue posted:

Wars run on money and money is unambiguously the domain of Congress. A unified Congress could defund an Iran buildup.

A what now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

Wars run on money and money is unambiguously the domain of Congress. A unified Congress could defund an Iran buildup.

thats not gonna happen. the House and senate chuds will rally around trump hard even if 200 soldiers die a week(if not more) that being said. i think the dems will probably vote against it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

haveblue posted:

the new highest-ever allocation of war funds was less than a month ago, my dude, the warmachine coffers are fuller than gently caress right now

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Who is this target and how is he related to Iran? I'm not versed in the local militias and who runs for whom.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Sumbitches posted:

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213233197980495872?s=20

So this loving idiot is really doing this. He's trying to manufacture a major war during an election year because he is that much of a petty cynical lunatic. Or is it just because he is pathologically incapable of backing down when others call him out as the massive baby he is?

The horrible thing is this cynical gamble will probably pay off, because our media loves a good war and "RAAA RAAA ARE TRUPS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

So this loving idiot is really doing this. He's trying to manufacture a major war during an election year because he us that much of a petty cynical lunatic. Or is it just because he is pathologically incapable of backing down when others call him out as the massive baby he is?

for what its worth

https://twitter.com/rakavitis/status/1213234751634583552