Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Slanderer posted:

That's correct. There were a few different compilations of both stories made, and I think I have all of them. DM me later if you want links, since my office blocks Dropbox.

Actually, any suggestions of places where I could upload these PDFs for future reference that aren’t Dropbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Can't we all just talk about how cool Hannibal was for a few pages?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looks like Lowtax's plea for fyad to stay in fyad, because the mods are spread thin due to the holidays, was taken as a "mods are asleep, spread out and shitpost" signal

Right? Also, :lol: at posters who blubber "b-b-b-but I have a positive post count!" as if anyone with plat can't do a quick 30 second peek at their post history and say "methinks the poster doth protest too much".

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

pog boyfriend posted:

modding QCS is immensely difficult because trying to stamp down on brigading is extremely hard to do unevenly. trying to strike a balance between giving everyone a voice and preventing a group of posters from drowning out the conversation was something i struggled with myself, and therefore i can not say there is an easy answer to the problem
ah but you see, pog boyfriend, you come to this strange conclusion that all posters are equal in value, and that all posters provide the same amount of content.

a bigot's voice is not worth the same amount as a victim's voice.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

are those tossed upon the funeral pyre forgotten, did the utter destruction and removal of nazi symbolism in Germany lead to that country making the same mistakes again?

simply ignoring the issues after a soft reboot simply solves no issues, the core issues remain unless the culture changes. If FYAD exists simply as a place to be an internet sociopath, why are we keeping that particular appendix?

I’m agreeing with you. Restarting the subforum with “new rules” solves nothing; all traces of it need to be erased. The only way anyone should be able to learn about FYAD is by reading a carefully curated SApedia article about its bigotry.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ruffini posted:

Imp Zone literally did nothing. Please calm down.

Are you talking about sestze’s post? They aren’t saying Imp Zone is bad. They’re saying Imp Zone is a revival of YCS, which loving sucked. Same concept (Games FYAD-lite) but without the bad poo poo.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

bloom posted:

I never did watch the last season but the last episode of the third(?) season where Hannibal and Laurence Fishburne fight each other was amazing. That's my take on Hannibal.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

It wasn't as good as Ravenous but we saw more people with their shirts off. It had more different sweaters, also, but more time to be be-sweatered.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i had my parents write a letter to neopets when I was eleven so I could get permission to post on their forums

it's been a long slide downhill since then for me

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

littleorv posted:

I never did watch the last season but the last episode of the third(?) season where Hannibal and Laurence Fishburne fight each other was amazing. That's my take on Hannibal.

That was the last season and yeah it was really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YSd4nAFKR8

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

:lol:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

scary ghost dog posted:

I’m agreeing with you. Restarting the subforum with “new rules” solves nothing; all traces of it need to be erased. The only way anyone should be able to learn about FYAD is by reading a carefully curated SApedia article about its bigotry.
Carefully curating it would actually be necessary as the cultural battleground that is FYAD has already sparked numerous wiki edits to the SomethingAwful wiki page accusing Koala's March of being an antifa commander aiming to take over the entire website to push it towards an SJW agenda.

I know most of what you're saying is meant to be taken as hyperbolic, but in all honesty, yes, FYAD shouldn't be here, the reasons why it isn't here anymore should be summarized in the SAclopedia, and we shouldn't make the same mistake again.
you can keep trying to drown people out by shitposting about neopets and hannibal for several pages, but it won't work.

this forum pioneered the very tactics you use for trolling.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sestze posted:

ah but you see, pog boyfriend, you come to this strange conclusion that all posters are equal in value, and that all posters provide the same amount of content.

a bigot's voice is not worth the same amount as a victim's voice.

no, that is not the intent of my post at all. i never even implied that at any point. all opinions are not equal in value. to give a classic example of what i was referring to, every time a thread about cspam would originate(with many users asking for more mods), the thread would devolve into people either discussing cspam as a forum, or discussing the politics of posters. this caused the thread to be filled with debates until it was locked.

similarly, when critique of gbs 2.0s misogynistic threads came out, many users from gbs came to defend it, creating the tired meme “dont like dont read”, an idea that criticism of a forum is irrelevant because its content is subjective and the site has no values. if the rule was to be stringently enforced that users from one specific subforum could not mob a thread for issues they care about, then... well, i am sure you get where i am going with this.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

my game crashed near the end and now I have to start it all over again god loving dammit

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sestze posted:

Carefully curating it would actually be necessary as the cultural battleground that is FYAD has already sparked numerous wiki edits to the SomethingAwful wiki page accusing Koala's March of being an antifa commander aiming to take over the entire website to push it towards an SJW agenda.

I know most of what you're saying is meant to be taken as hyperbolic, but in all honesty, yes, FYAD shouldn't be here, the reasons why it isn't here anymore should be summarized in the SAclopedia, and we shouldn't make the same mistake again.

you can keep trying to drown people out by shitposting about neopets and hannibal for several pages, but it won't work.

this forum pioneered the very tactics you use for trolling.

This probably isn’t the thread to restart this.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

professor metis posted:

i had my parents write a letter to neopets when I was eleven so I could get permission to post on their forums

it's been a long slide downhill since then for me

lmao they ruined ur life

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sestze posted:

They were trying to post on-topic op

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

The good news is, it looks like FYAD has finally taken its mandate of self moderation seriously. I know it’s small comfort, but at least we won’t have to read any more of their dogwhistles. I only hope the forums administration takes this as a sign that they won’t receive any pushback if they just go ahead and erase the subforum from the source code.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Horny
Alluring
Naked
Neighborly
Insatiable
Butt (nice!)
Arousing
Lusty

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ariong posted:

Are you talking about sestze’s post? They aren’t saying Imp Zone is bad. They’re saying Imp Zone is a revival of YCS, which loving sucked. Same concept (Games FYAD-lite) but without the bad poo poo.
thank you, I am making the point that there exists a lot of bigotry inside of the FYAD-lites, every time one was created for a subforum there was a teething period where the first iterations of it were hotbeds of some seriously nasty poo poo, and then were viciously pruned and restarted to remove that bigotry.

so when we look at the situation with FYAD, why is that different, why are they immune from the same process, other than being seen as special?

pog boyfriend posted:

no, that is not the intent of my post at all. i never even implied that at any point. all opinions are not equal in value. to give a classic example of what i was referring to, every time a thread about cspam would originate(with many users asking for more mods), the thread would devolve into people either discussing cspam as a forum, or discussing the politics of posters. this caused the thread to be filled with debates until it was locked.

similarly, when critique of gbs 2.0s misogynistic threads came out, many users from gbs came to defend it, creating the tired meme “dont like dont read”, an idea that criticism of a forum is irrelevant because its content is subjective and the site has no values. if the rule was to be stringently enforced that users from one specific subforum could not mob a thread for issues they care about, then... well, i am sure you get where i am going with this.
Timely intervention on the part of a moderator from that subforum explaining what they see would go a long way - a lot of moderation has been done in the dark up to this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FYAD isn't going anywhere. It never was. Asking to speak to the manager when corporate just told you your coupon is expired isn't going to change anything.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pick posted:

Horny
Alluring
Naked
Neighborly
Insatiable
Butt (nice!)
Arousing
Lusty

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

FYAD isn't going anywhere. It never was. Asking to speak to the manager when corporate just told you your coupon is expired isn't going to change anything.

Every thread has been closed at this point except the goodbye thread.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Burt Sexual posted:

remember when you probated me for stating that nothing would change, and that the same things would happen due to FYAD's underlying culture not changing

I wish to point out that I was right.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
There is no thread to "restart" this ongoing saga, because it's still ongoing and QCS is closed. IMO if mods are unhappy about this issue constantly leaking out over multiple threads in multiple subforums they must reopen QCS with tighter moderation.

Until then, their constant attempts to rein it in will come to nothing

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

gently caress offffffffffffff

see:

Sestze posted:

remember when you probated me for stating that nothing would change, and that the same things would happen due to FYAD's underlying culture not changing

I wish to point out that I was right.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Maybe you or someone could start a temporary "airing of grievances" thread until qcs opens up again? If it gets too heated, just limit it to just posts, no replies. I think this is a very important conversation to have, but I just don't think PYF (or fyad or tgrs for that matter) are the places for it. GBS seems to be housing all the other qcs threads, maybe make one there?

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Queen Combat posted:

gently caress offffffffffffff

Can you please not be so toxic?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sestze posted:

thank you, I am making the point that there exists a lot of bigotry inside of the FYAD-lites, every time one was created for a subforum there was a teething period where the first iterations of it were hotbeds of some seriously nasty poo poo, and then were viciously pruned and restarted to remove that bigotry.

so when we look at the situation with FYAD, why is that different, why are they immune from the same process, other than being seen as special?

Timely intervention on the part of a moderator from that subforum explaining what they see would go a long way - a lot of moderation has been done in the dark up to this point.

this is in theory a good idea, but suppose someone wanted to criticize the mod of the motorcycle forum. as a subforum mod or ik for qcs, are we to close the forum down and wait for the cool motorbike mod to ride in and post their take before reopening it? in that case, discussion of systemic issues would have all of their power given to the mods to decide which discussion is and is not permitted.

this is, of course, assuming it would be timely. the motorbike mod might have some bike stuff they have to do, and can not respond to the forum. should we require the volunteer mods be ready to post in QCS at all times, phoning them in real life? this solution does not seem feasible to me.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ruffini posted:

Ruffini, you've been callously dismissing all of the things I've said for pages regarding the issues present with FYAD.

that being said holy poo poo, FYAD is really having a mass closure of threads

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

Maybe you or someone could start a temporary "airing of grievances" thread until qcs opens up again? If it gets too heated, just limit it to just posts, no replies. I think this is a very important conversation to have, but I just don't think PYF (or fyad or tgrs for that matter) are the places for it. GBS seems to be housing all the other qcs threads, maybe make one there?

Let's bring out the festivus metal post and once the feats of strength have been completed QCS will be reopened

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you heard Bert, he likes hannibal.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sestze posted:

Ruffini, you've been callously dismissing all of the things I've said for pages regarding the issues present with FYAD.

that being said holy poo poo, FYAD is really having a mass closure of threads

the iks have figured out its unsalvageable at this point. too many of the funny posters are gone.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ruffini posted:

:jerkbag:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ruffini posted:

Every thread has been closed at this point except the goodbye thread.

Yikes. If I turn out to be wrong I'll be amazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pick posted:

Horny
Alluring
Naked
Neighborly
Insatiable
Butt (nice!)
Arousing