Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I see it in Maine all the time when I'm up there for work trips. I always buy a few to bring home because I like how weird it is. It's really fun to give to people and see them be like "hm, okay" for a moment before the gentian hits and they hyper-grimace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
The best description for Moxie I've heard is "if root beer was a prank"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
We have a store called Rocket Fizz that sells all sorts of weird soda and candy and I think is a national chain. They definitely carry Moxie, if anygoon wants to try it themselves.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s in RI and if you have an ocean state job lot, they’ll carry it on occasions. It’s a kissing cousin to root beer and Dr. Pepper, if Mr. Pibb was watching from an ajar door.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

It’s in RI and if you have an ocean state job lot, they’ll carry it on occasions. It’s a kissing cousin to root beer and Dr. Pepper, if Mr. Pibb was watching from an ajar door.

Ahh the preferred drink of Ted Cruz.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Arizona Tea doesn't do anything but PR, iirc

And putting the 99 cents on the can itself so resellers need serious balls to mark it higher

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Tunicate posted:

And putting the 99 cents on the can itself so resellers need serious balls to mark it higher

Ultimately you'll be paying more money in wages while customers argue with cashiers that they have to give them the price on the can than you'll get in raising the price.

Even the vending machine at work, which is stocked by a third-party vendor, sells them for $1

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Coke must have been amazing when it still had literal coke in it

Protip: You can still put coke in it

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Big Grunty Secret posted:

God is a giant loving eye

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it’s one of those drinks that started as a health tonic sort of thing and is still around. It’s a more acquired taste than typical soft drinks because of the gentian but it’s not bad or anything.

I like it myself but it definitely tastes like medicine. My wife won't touch it but one of my daughters is OK with it.

I imagine that if you ever had cough syrup that tasted like Moxie as a kid, you probably just associate it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/iamtannenbaum/status/1211761607577153537?s=21

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

The best description for Malort I’ve heard is “tonight you’ll fight your dad.”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnNJPZaDE4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

From the thumbnail I thought the joke was going to involve the guy going crosseyed from the glasses but apparently that dude's just vaguely crosseyed.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
You can get moxie at noted racist bastion Cracker Barrell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Sexual Shiite posted:

You can get moxie at noted racist bastion Cracker Barrell.

What? This is the first I’ve heard of this. Next time I’ll be sure to get moxie

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Here's a dumb marketing timeline:

Dec 30, 3:19 pm - I decide to donate to the Bernie Sanders campaign to help meet last-minute 2019 fundraising goals.

Dec 31, 5:39 am - An email from the Bernie campaign asking for another donation to help meet the goal I just contributed to.

9:46 am - A text from the Bernie campaign asking for the same thing.

10:23 am - Another email.

11:56 am - Another email.

2:41 pm - Another text.

4:42 pm - Another email.

6:06 pm - Another email.

6:51 pm - Another text.

7:38 pm - Another email.

And the night's not over yet.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not Bernie's fault, but actblue. Every Democrat I like has signed up with that piece of poo poo service. Not only do they blatantly distribute your data to everyone and everything, they will call your phone, text you after you reply STOP and send you unsolicited mail for years. It took me a year to unsubscribe.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Maybe, but I also donated to Warren's campaign a while back and only got a quarter as many contacts from them this week. Which is still too many. If a campaign is courting that hot fresh progressive millennial demographic then maybe they should consider that millennials loving hate spam.

But yeah it's not like I blame Bernie personally for it or anything, that's just how political advertising works now. :911:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nitrox posted:

It's not Bernie's fault, but actblue. Every Democrat I like has signed up with that piece of poo poo service. Not only do they blatantly distribute your data to everyone and everything, they will call your phone, text you after you reply STOP and send you unsolicited mail for years. It took me a year to unsubscribe.

What have you learned about cats though?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I donated to Lee Carter's and Jessica Scaranes campaigns using actblue, haven't received any texts and the only email I've gotten was jessics saying she met her goal so here's some other progressives to donate to.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I lived a decade in Vermont and Moxie always was the worst thing that only old people drank. It's continued existence is a prank on everyone younger than 80.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

IUG posted:

Mass and north. Not here in CT, but anytime I go to NH or Maine I see it around.

It's carried by Big Y here on the shoreline.

(Also it tastes like garbage.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The best description for Malort I’ve heard is “tonight you’ll fight your dad.”

Wasn't that an actual ad, it should be if not, I've heard that before too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

There's an early bit in Accelerando where a shopping mall is decked out in dead elves because the AI driving its marketing determined that combining war crimes and christmas would move product like hell

I thought that was stupid as gently caress when I read it and now I think it wasn't going far enough

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wasn't that an actual ad, it should be if not, I've heard that before too

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's great

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunicate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUZ2sVjLfY

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's the best commercial I've ever seen.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Unfriend as in... Kill?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lol, this owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Was this the result of the same contest that included “Jeppsen’s Malort: Tonight you fight your dad”?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/JeppsonsMalort/status/713601268493762560?s=19

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Ok, where do you get this poo poo?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Chicago. Also it sucks, but that's the point. Do it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Chicago. Also it sucks, but that's the point. Do it.

Medical history Sawbones did an episode recently where they talked a little bit about Malort, because it came up when they asked for topics related to Chicago. It's in their most recent episoode, on the Chicago River Reversal.

In very brief: It was a popular drink in Chicago during the prohibition, because it tasted so awful that it HAD to be medicine, because nobody would be drinking that poo poo voluntarily.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Buddy, I drink R&R

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Medical history Sawbones did an episode recently where they talked a little bit about Malort, because it came up when they asked for topics related to Chicago. It's in their most recent episoode, on the Chicago River Reversal.

In very brief: It was a popular drink in Chicago during the prohibition, because it tasted so awful that it HAD to be medicine, because nobody would be drinking that poo poo voluntarily.

Hard to say how true this is, as Malort was supposedly first made in the 1930s. It was a homemade drink by a Swedish immigrant (it's a variant of Swedish-style wormwood schnapps) and supposedly the guy invented it because smoking dulled his taste buds until he could barely taste anything else.

People describe Malort as "bitter", but that's like describing a blowtorch as "mildly warm." The one shot I had tasted like burning plastic. It's one of those things where you say to yourself that it can't be that bad and everyone's descriptions of "pencil shavings and heartbreak" or "swallowing a burning condom filled with gasoline" is an exaggeration, and you're one of those guys who does shots of Fernet with the bartender so you can handle something bitter! And then you realize that they were, in fact, absolutely correct about what it tastes like.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I picked up a six pack of malort mini bottles to send some to my SASS santee (I think Chicago has laws against selling single mini bottles so the six pack is a way around that), and the box said they were for sharing with friends or enemies.

No word yet on whether my santee is a friend or enemy, but I only sent him two. The rest went to some local friends and my brother in law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot makes sense considering how many people used to start smoking at about 12.