Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lots of reports of attacks in various parts of Iraq
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1213530956965064704
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1213531053534699520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
One thing I'm not quite getting is the justification for the assassination being the fact that Soleimani has "blood on his hands"... What is the US body count in the Middle East these days? Many magnitudes higher than Iran and an enormous number of those civilian. So by this logic, shouldn't the US leadership, past and present, also be a-okay for assassination?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dog Friday posted:

One thing I'm not quite getting is the justification for the assassination being the fact that Soleimani has "blood on his hands"... What is the US body count in the Middle East these days? Many magnitudes higher than Iran and an enormous number of those civilian. So by this logic, shouldn't the US leadership, past and present, also be a-okay for assassination?

Yes. That's an inevitable conclusion and why people who aren't trump don't loving do this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1213533465007861760

idk if that means just ranged attacks or more.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Probably mortars and improvised rockets. They all get called 'missiles' by the media so its anybody's guess unless you're there

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If Iran decided to “Shut down the Strait of Hormuz”, what would that actually look like. I know what it looks like geographically and that ~20% of the world’s oil flows through there and economists say shutting it down would be catastrophic for the world’s economy, but how would it physically work?

Like, does Iran put missiles on the coast and threaten to blow up ships? Do they have a means to physically stop ships without weapons? Is it geographically advantageous enough that US carriers could not approach the Strait?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dog Friday posted:

I can't decide which is more wild:

i) That Iraqi sovereignty isn't even a pretend thing and the US can just kill whoever, whenever, however in Iraq without apparently even notifying the Iraqi government; or
ii) That a guy who wears a uniform and is a member of a defined, organized military, who commands troops in uniform, and who receives a salary and title from a sovereign nation, is a "terrorist" because he engages in irregular and not well-defined conflict against military targets in multiple countries as a way of exerting influence for his country. By that definition, isn't basically every American officer a terrorist? In how many countries is the American military just randomly setting people on fire from the air?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I think it’s more likely Iran will work with the international community to show America up with softer means than something as isolationist as closing the strait.

America done hosed up here and will see it’s power wane massively across the board because of this decision

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

terrorist ambulance posted:

i) That Iraqi sovereignty isn't even a pretend thing and the US can just kill whoever, whenever, however in Iraq without apparently even notifying the Iraqi government; or
ii) That a guy who wears a uniform and is a member of a defined, organized military, who commands troops in uniform, and who receives a salary and title from a sovereign nation, is a "terrorist" because he engages in irregular and not well-defined conflict against military targets in multiple countries as a way of exerting influence for his country. By that definition, isn't basically every American officer a terrorist? In how many countries is the American military just randomly setting people on fire from the air?

You're getting pretty close to what regular people outside of America think of American foreign policy.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You're getting pretty close to what regular people outside of America think of American foreign policy.

I know, but I feel like Western media at least felt a bit of shame about it before and the administration would at least try to cloak it in a bit of PR or some baffles about the UN or international consensus or whatever. Now it's just mask off

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah this is correct, the US is a gangster state by any definition.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gonna hazzard a guess that this is not the first time in history the flag of Imam Hussain has been raised over a mosque in Iran...

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

kustomkarkommando posted:

Gonna hazzard a guess that this is not the first time in history the flag of Imam Hussain has been raised over a mosque in Iran...

It's the second time in all Irans' history. Take a guess what happened last time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Slowpoke! posted:

If Iran decided to “Shut down the Strait of Hormuz”, what would that actually look like. I know what it looks like geographically and that ~20% of the world’s oil flows through there and economists say shutting it down would be catastrophic for the world’s economy, but how would it physically work?

Like, does Iran put missiles on the coast and threaten to blow up ships? Do they have a means to physically stop ships without weapons? Is it geographically advantageous enough that US carriers could not approach the Strait?

At its narrowest point the strait has a shipping lane 2km wide. Iran fills that lane with sea mines and tells everyone, the shipping stops.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

It's probably a good time to fill up your gas tank. A better time would have been January 1st.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Btw...what is the average price of unleaded gas in the US?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dante80 posted:

Btw...what is the average price of unleaded gas in the US?

In my area it was 2.37-2.50 last week on Dec. 31

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Phi230 posted:

In my area it was 2.37-2.50 last week on Dec. 31

Is that per gallon? drat! that's cheap. I'd be content if we simply paid twice that here in Greece..O_o

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Slowpoke! posted:

They would threaten to shoot passing ships but they also have underwater mines. If Iran announced that they mined the strait, nobody would risk passing through until the US demined the area.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I know, but I feel like Western media at least felt a bit of shame about it before and the administration would at least try to cloak it in a bit of PR or some baffles about the UN or international consensus or whatever. Now it's just mask off

The US has so intensely normalised this kind of violence over the last 20 years that they can do something like this and if you question it you're the one who is naive, or childish, or a terrorist sympathiser, or <insert other dumb poo poo here>

It also doesn't matter that a literal decade long drone-bombing campaign in dozens of countries has managed to solve exactly jack and poo poo. There are people out there who want to do bad things to us. So we must do something. Extra-judicially killing them is something. So we must do this. Do not ever question this line of thinking.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dante80 posted:

Is that per gallon? drat! that's cheap. I'd be content if we simply paid twice that here in Greece..O_o

Yeah but we drive a lot more. Just going to and from work everyday is a tank of gas a week to 1.5 weeks.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dante80 posted:

It's the second time in all Irans' history. Take a guess what happened last time.

I am they are pretty common during Ashura and Muharram and iconic at Karbala, pitching it as the Red Flag Of War pretty much indicates the whole religious significance is whooshing violently over people's heads

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gobbeldygook posted:

They would threaten to shoot passing ships but they also have underwater mines. If Iran announced that they mined the strait, nobody would risk passing through until the US demined the area.

A task that would be suicidal with the range of Iranian ASMs barring an outright occupation without Iran's consent and de-escalation.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Of course deliberately drawing parallels between the martyrdom of soleimani and that of Hussain is p much screaming we are loving furious

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phi230 posted:

Yeah but we drive a lot more. Just going to and from work everyday is a tank of gas a week to 1.5 weeks.

lol what?

Just driving to and from my last place of work was a tank of gas every 7 workdays and I paid ~1.65 euros per liter.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dante80 posted:

Iraq-Iran War? I actually don't know.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

atelier morgan posted:

Yes. That's an inevitable conclusion and why people who aren't trump don't loving do this

Yeah, Trump decided this on a whim and there was nobody left who'd stand up and tell him that it was a bad idea. Killing someone like Suleimani only makes sense as the beginning of a serious, expensive and ferocious commitment to removing Iranian influence from Iraq and there's zero sign of that. Doing it in isolation is spectacularly dumb, as it just starts a fight that the Iranians are far better placed to win.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Isn't the navy minesweeper fleet kind of in bad shape?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

OhFunny posted:

Iraq-Iran War?

Yep. The important thing to take in though is that this symbolic gesture shows that Iran is not eager - like, at all - to leave the assassination unanswered. The best case scenario would be a series of small proxy attacks in Iraq. I don't think that will suffice though for them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Zotix posted:

In dire shape. Wasted all the maintenance on those LCS ships that didn't work and got cancelled.

https://news.yahoo.com/more-mines-iran-ready-harass-112500802.html

quote:

Four of the Navy’s 11 1980s-vintage Avenger-class minesweepers sail from Bahrain and, if war broke out, would be responsible for clearing the strategic Strait of Hormuz and other important waterways of mines.

But the Avengers suffer from obsolete equipment and a lack of spending. The minesweepers “routinely need repairs,” one Navy officer told Pro Publica reporters Robert Faturechi, Megan Rose and T. Christian Miller.

The Navy for years has diverted minesweeping funding into the development of multi-mission Littoral Combat Ships. The LCS were supposed to replace the Avengers, but the new ships have proved expensive, unreliable and unsuitable for many of the missions the Navy hoped they would handle.

The sailing branch in 2016 canceled development of a dedicated minehunting robot for the LCS. All the while, the Avengers slowly have rusted away.

“The companies that used to make a variety of spare parts no longer exist,” the reporters added. “A sailor recently aboard one ship said the sonar meant to detect mines was so imprecise that in training exercises it flagged dishwashers, crab traps and cars on the ocean floor as potential bombs.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I sure can't remember this ever being the case.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

OhFunny posted:

In dire shape. Wasted all the maintenance on those LCS ships that didn't work and got cancelled.

https://news.yahoo.com/more-mines-iran-ready-harass-112500802.html

It's irrelevant, Iran can and would just say "we will shoot rockets at any fleet you send in to clean them up, suck my dick"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

IRAN WILL SINK A CARRIER

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

IRAN WILL SINK A CARRIER

inshallah

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My brother is deployed to Iraq and I am not feelin great about it.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
People forget how hyped up the Republican Guard was before 2003 lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rival Shi'ite leaders and Iraq call for U.S. troop expulsion in rare show of unity

I'm not going to quote anything since there's not much new. But it's looking like Sadr is is going to join with the Badr aligned parties to vote to expel US forces. If they succeed it will make this assassination possibly the greatest strategic blunders of the Trump administration thus far. Though I wonder if Trump even gives a poo poo about being kicked out of Iraq, and country I think he'd prefer to leave anyway

CherryCola posted:

My brother is deployed to Iraq and I am not feelin great about it.

good news: he may be coming home soon!

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zotix posted:

It doesn't help that within NATO minehunting (sweeping is mostly outdated) is one of the few things where the focus is on the European side of the alliance. As it's a lot more feasible capability to maintain for smaller navies than the big open water stuff the US is better suited to provide.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Frank Sidebottom posted:

People forget how hyped up the Republican Guard was before 2003 lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_whePVoqOY&t=290s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I sure can't remember this ever being the case.

It wasn't hugely a thing in terms of shaping overall policy goals, but there absolutely was a long-standing tradition of at least providing some sort of charitably optimistic interpretation domestically of US FP goals that made us out to look like the good guys. It did occasionally influence policy in that if things were too entirely unspinnable they'd be avoided or done completely covertly. While it doesn't seem like much, not being openly the worst actor that you possibly can is a substantial and important bit of restraint.