Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Now watch Trump prevent Iran from achieving Culture Victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Blowing up the shrines in Iran is pretty much the one thing the US can do to guarantee that Iran would launch attacks in the US homeland as well as actively undertake a kidnap and kill plan for american gov representatives abroad. It would be fantastically ill-conceived.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, but maybe have you thought how exploding that general in front of the red carpet was necessary to prevent Iran from attacking the US?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Blowing up the shrines in Iran is pretty much the one thing the US can do to guarantee that Iran would launch attacks in the US homeland as well as actively undertake a kidnap and kill plan for american gov representatives abroad. It would be fantastically ill-conceived.

So what your saying is we are gonna do it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

freeasinbeer posted:

So what your saying is we are gonna do it.

We definitely are because Donald John Trump continuously puts himself in a rhetorical position where the only moves are to continue escalating or capitulate.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

America has found its main advantage over Iran - Iran can't retaliate and bomb America's principal cultural sites because Americans are degenerate animals with no culture.

Easy killer.

You had a unilateral decision made by Trump and a few close advisors, for a reason we will probably never know to do and say these things. Don’t pool the rest of us in with that piece of poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ganglysumbia posted:

Easy killer.

You had a unilateral decision made by Trump and a few close advisors, for a reason we will probably never know to do and say these things. Don’t pool the rest of us in with that piece of poo poo.

lookit this cultureless dweeb who can't spot a joke

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ganglysumbia posted:

Easy killer.

#NotAllAmericans

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I see the President is now attempting to manage a crisis in the Middle East using the knowledge and wisdom he gained from watching 1988's Bloodsport while fast-forwarding through all the boring talky parts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pretend i posted trumps head on JCVD's body doing the splits in bloodsport

and then pretend he retweeted it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The us mil is certainly formidable but deciding to take on the entire shia world with nearly zero statements of support from anyone capable of defeating barefoot conscripts is concerning.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Good thread on what Soleimani was doing in Baghdad.

https://twitter.com/billroggio/status/1213580945611206662

this is all bullshit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1213468436917080066

Herstory Begins Now, two days ago posted:

Trump, washing down his third cheeseburger of the day with some diet coke, clicks some banner ad promising 'one simple trick to get rid of cabinet members who might turn state's witnesses-human right's advocates hate this!'

I'm pretending this is 100% credible because lol I need that comic relief rn

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also that reuters article is getting completely savaged by everyone who knows literally anything about anything.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

One of the most baffling things about this whole clown show is that despite how fundamentally dishonest Trump is he seems incapable of sticking to even the simplest cover story and will trip over himself to spill the beans. Like when he reassured everyone that the Syrian oil fields were secure after loving over the Kurds he just had to announce this whole thing is some Neocon General's idea of poetic revenge for the Iran Hostage Crisis. :psyboom:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

lol

trump bringin are boys home

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's a word for people who say poo poo like Trump did tonight, and it's terrorist.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

It's great that the US has never sold drugs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Also that reuters article is getting completely savaged by everyone who knows literally anything about anything.
link?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dog Friday posted:

One thing I'm not quite getting is the justification for the assassination being the fact that Soleimani has "blood on his hands"... What is the US body count in the Middle East these days? Many magnitudes higher than Iran and an enormous number of those civilian. So by this logic, shouldn't the US leadership, past and present, also be a-okay for assassination?

:haibrow:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

There's a word for people who say poo poo like Trump did tonight, and it's re-elected.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like i get what he is sorta saying but thats very close to being like wehraboo contrarian poo poo who jerk it to loving Rommel or peiper. while i think its a bad thing(because assassinating state actors when your not in a hot war is loving bad on so many levels) heartfelt memorializing over Iranian tywin lannister is kinda hosed up and why is dislike war nerd in general. he will probably legit cry when assad dies of old age.

Honestly I'd rather read wehraboo contrarian poo poo than more of the US' run-of-the-mill "we killed the bad guy, he was the very worst guy on Earth, worth than ten thousand Saddam Hitler, he was the vilest demon that ever blackened this world and we killed him, hooray, thanks to our selfless and immaculate heroes such as Eddie Gallagher".

Like, what purpose does it serve to call him "Iranian tywin lannister" except turn him into some dumb villain figure from a TV show? What does it do besides relaying the echo chamber of demonization of the enemy so as to manufacture consent for the inevitable countless war crimes against Iranian people? Oh yeah, he was instrumental in booting Daesh out of Iraq and also in humiliating the genocidal forces of the Saudi in Yemen. What a fiend.

Hot take of the week: if President Trump wants to kill an unambiguously bad guy who's worse than ten thousand Saddam Hitler and who was directly responsible for causing the death of thousands of Americans, the one he should drone-strike is Dick Cheney.

terrorist ambulance posted:

I can't decide which is more wild:

i) That Iraqi sovereignty isn't even a pretend thing and the US can just kill whoever, whenever, however in Iraq without apparently even notifying the Iraqi government; or
ii) That a guy who wears a uniform and is a member of a defined, organized military, who commands troops in uniform, and who receives a salary and title from a sovereign nation, is a "terrorist" because he engages in irregular and not well-defined conflict against military targets in multiple countries as a way of exerting influence for his country. By that definition, isn't basically every American officer a terrorist? In how many countries is the American military just randomly setting people on fire from the air?

i) America considers that there is only one sovereign nation in the world, itself.
ii) America considers that terrorists on her side are good guys, and most of its works of fiction serve to glorify the acts of good-guy terrorists, like Jack Bauer or Rambo.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

We really need to stop giving the Houthi's credit for wailing on SA in Yemen to Iranians. Iran contributed a little technology, some weapons, and training, but only after the Houthi were already winning. Calling the Houthi Iranian proxies is a neocon talking point

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The thing that still really perplexes me is why so many people in the administration were apparently all in on the idea that the Iranians would just fuckin take it with no response. It's rare to be able to say that anyone in government actually believes something, but they really seem to have bought into that idea 100%

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The thing that still really perplexes me is why so many people in the administration were apparently all in on the idea that the Iranians would just fuckin take it with no response. It's rare to be able to say that anyone in government actually believes something, but they really seem to have bought into that idea 100%

i think alot of the smart people are gone. all thats left are various type of bootlicks or true believers.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Squalid posted:

lol

trump bringin are boys home

Soleimani was more than a general, he was a hero to them. The equivalent of Mattis, maybe more to them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sheldon Adelson literally wants to nuke Iran, and Pompeo believes in the Rapture. They want this.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

No Raptures Allowed

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1213421769777909761

long thread, worth the read

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Sheldon Adelson literally wants to nuke Iran, and Pompeo believes in the Rapture. They want this.

Yep. Our government is trying to goad Iran into declaring war. They want their apocalyptic battle in the Middle East. Iran didn't respond as rapidly as they hoped so now they are going to poke them until they do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because the plan was just a fake idea they gave Trump to convince him to do something else and it backfired.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/04/us/politics/trump-suleimani.html

quote:

In the chaotic days leading to the death of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, Iran’s most powerful commander, top American military officials put the option of killing him — which they viewed as the most extreme response to recent Iranian-led violence in Iraq — on the menu they presented to President Trump.

They didn’t think he would take it. In the wars waged since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Pentagon officials have often offered improbable options to presidents to make other possibilities appear more palatable.

After initially rejecting the Suleimani option on Dec. 28 and authorizing airstrikes on an Iranian-backed Shia militia group instead, a few days later Mr. Trump watched, fuming, as television reports showed Iranian-backed attacks on the American Embassy in Baghdad, according to Defense Department and administration officials.

By late Thursday, the president had gone for the extreme option. Top Pentagon officials were stunned.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 5, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Trabisnikof posted:

Because the plan was just a fake idea they gave Trump to convince him to do something else and it backfired.

The Pentagon is full of decorum poisoned idiots and it came back to bite them this time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Pentagon is full of decorum poisoned idiots and it came back to bite them this time.
"Nah, he can't be THAT dumb!"

".....oh poo poo"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Phi230 posted:

i hope iran has something going on in air defense artillery

Iran has been preparing for this for a long time, they have better air defense capabilities than some US allies. Any sort of air maneuvers near their airspace would have extremely dire costs for the US.

That's good but literally every major news outlet is running the same story/analysis and there's zero pushback on any of the big networks. Most Americans have zero idea who Suleimani is so expect the full court press to turn him into Bin Laden's understudy until the next big crisis pushes this story aside.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 5, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don't think the Pentagon understands that the last time we waged a major offensive it was against a joke of an army in Iraq. Any attack on Iran would be incredibly costly, very quick.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don't think the Pentagon understands that the last time we waged a major offensive it was against a joke of an army in Iraq. Any attack on Iran would be incredibly costly, very quick.

I'm sure the Pentagon understands what Iran's military capabilities are, SA poster Flaming Liberal

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

This rings true.

Anyone have links for non-Trump people believing Iran wouldn't retaliate? I haven't read much on that side of things. It seems hard to believe, especially given the poo poo Iran has caused lately, like the attack on the Saudi refinery.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

If they hadn't fired everyone with a working frontal cortex they would have learned by now that Trump is incapable of critical, original thought and of moderating himself. Had they told him filling a swimming pool with balloons with Muhammeds face on them and throwing ham and cheese hot pockets at them to pop them was the most extreme option, dipshit would have done it the instant he felt insulted.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Iraqi and Iranian army were quite on par with each other during the Iran-Iraq war. I think today the US could easily take Tehran, like they took Baghdad. However, they won't be able to supress whatever insurgency comes thereafter. Also because unlike Iraq, Iran is mountainous country resembling Afghanistan (but much bigger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rukeli posted:

The Iraqi and Iranian army were quite on par with each other during the Iran-Iraq war. I think today the US could easily take Tehran, like they took Baghdad. However, they won't be able to supress whatever insurgency comes thereafter. Also because unlike Iraq, Iran is mountainous country resembling Afghanistan (but much bigger).

Two problems: Iran is not a state invented by a british pedophile drawing on a map but an actual nation state with a cohesive identity. Every weakness of Hussein's Iraq that made it easier to destroy is missing. There's also no handy flat terrain border with a friendly Kuwait to let the US stage for months in advance.