Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So I decided late last week to embark on a sober January with a friend.

I picked the wrong month to quit drinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1ciPnTGKg

Wow shitpost snipe.

Have some dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1213631435573284864?s=19

its war for sure now.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

And here I was worried about Trump's second term like a loving idiot

I'm more worried than ever.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

i am harry posted:

In Would I Lie To You, one of them is telling the truth and the contestant has to guess which of three stories is plausible. SO either Sharon is telling an absolute lie or a truth. Does the clip show that at the end?

Yes, she claimed it was 100% true and then had a good laugh about it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i still feel good about trump losing in november, but the last two days have been horribly depressing

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

is this normal for DEFCON or

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/status/1213654244475191296

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VH4Ever posted:

I'm more worried than ever.

I think they're saying they should've worried more about this term.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Better than the last chart

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
The miltary saying rolls off the tongue much better: "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Eulogistics posted:

The miltary saying rolls off the tongue much better: "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

My Dad used to say this to me ALL. THE. TIME.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Is this at all an official organization?

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

That’s a “private intelligence organization” not the government. Thankfully.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Sojourn posted:

That’s a “private intelligence organization” not the government. Thankfully.

it's run by the armed forces IIRC

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

nope, not their website updates, nvm

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If Trump is threatening “cultural” sites isn’t that the same as threatening to bomb civilians? Unless it’s like a culturally significant tree or mountainside, he most certainly means religious sites, museums, Persian empire stuff? Places with civilians and zero military importance.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Otteration posted:

The trump video is likely not fake of course, but it's just not very useful for folks that would like to spread it around but don't have or ever want a twit feed. Propaganda can be useful, but not when it's restricted.
You don't need a Twitter account to see the tweet or to watch the video embedded in it. OP gave you the closest thing to a primary source we can feasibly get.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slowpoke! posted:

If Trump is threatening “cultural” sites isn’t that the same as threatening to bomb civilians? Unless it’s like a culturally significant tree or mountainside, he most certainly means religious sites, museums, Persian empire stuff? Places with civilians and zero military importance.

Yes, yes it is, it's straight up terrorism and a war crime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ThomTillis/status/1213595744592154625

Imagine wanting to keep your job this bad...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eulogistics posted:

This is hilarious because it's literally making a case for a strong, well funded central government and a social safety net

I keep thinking of the big ice storm that crippled Atlanta a few years ago, where the whole problem was that Atlanta had made the calculation that winter storms that shut down highways happen so infrequently that it wasn't worth the public investment to maintain a fleet of highway maintenance equipment for the rare occasion when it's needed — that it was better to run things lean and mean and "smart" and just sort of hope nothing bad ever happens — so when the inevitable winter storm eventually came along they were like "well shucks we don't have a way in hell to clean up all this ice, guess you're all just stuck in your driveways for the next six days, oh well at least we kept that 3 cent tax off your paycheck right guise"

Sure is nice to be able to make a decision like "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" under circumstances where you can count on having the discretionary ability to buy "it" when you need to

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Data Graham posted:

This is hilarious because it's literally making a case for a strong, well funded central government and a social safety net

I keep thinking of the big ice storm that crippled Atlanta a few years ago, where the whole problem was that Atlanta had made the calculation that winter storms that shut down highways happen so infrequently that it wasn't worth the public investment to maintain a fleet of highway maintenance equipment for the rare occasion when it's needed — that it was better to run things lean and mean and "smart" and just sort of hope nothing bad ever happens — so when the inevitable winter storm eventually came along they were like "well shucks we don't have a way in hell to clean up all this ice, guess you're all just stuck in your driveways for the next six days, oh well at least we kept that 3 cent tax off your paycheck right guise"

Sure is nice to be able to make a decision like "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" under circumstances where you can count on having the discretionary ability to buy "it" when you need to

Heh, look at this loony lefty, who hasn’t considered that it’s better to have a couple billionaires around and not need them, than to have none around and need them.:smug:

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I mean, the military is a centrally planned institution where the government actually runs everything and provides all the servoces to the members, so...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

This was supposedly at 4:30 am, too, lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Slowpoke! posted:

You can threaten to blow up anything, and Iran and DPRK have made propaganda showing icons of American democracy in flames for many, many years. All that matters is what you actually do blow up.

The handwringing I see about this poo poo on Twitter is just :decorum: from people who have never supported any wars ever. This is how other countries treat us all the time.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Slowpoke! posted:

Yes, even if no civilians are hurt at all it's a warcrime.
Your are allowed to do all kinds of nasty poo poo in the pursuit of warfare. You can drop incindiaries on troops, you can decide to accept that a level of civilian victims is acceptable to hit a military target. You can kill defenseless, retreating or fleeing troops no problem, hell you can arguably kill troops trying to surrender to forces that inherently can't take prisoners. But whatever you do has to have the goal of weakening the other guys military. Statues, monuments and even that culturally significant tree are not valid targets.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

T. Bombastus posted:

You don't need a Twitter account to see the tweet or to watch the video embedded in it. OP gave you the closest thing to a primary source we can feasibly get.

We can see and watch the tweet. We cannot repost the video to other platforms w/o jumping through i/p twit hoops. A primary source exists out there, yay, too bad it's difficult to get to and share w/non twiters.

Rania Khalek's tweet is useful, if you twit, not if you don't:

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/sta...D273%23lastpost

My complaint is against twit.com for not freely allowing information to circulate, that that is "the closest thing to a primary source we can feasibly get".

Yay.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

I know letting these people upset you is losing, but gently caress am I triggered by the goddamn people laughing in this video

Their sole remaining objective in all they say or do is to upset you.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
brb, filling my pool with gas.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213684819537932293

mystes
May 31, 2006

Otteration posted:

We can see and watch the tweet. We cannot repost the video to other platforms w/o jumping through i/p twit hoops. A primary source exists out there, yay, too bad it's difficult to get to and share w/non twiters.

Rania Khalek's tweet is useful, if you twit, not if you don't:

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/sta...D273%23lastpost

My complaint is against twit.com for not freely allowing information to circulate, that that is "the closest thing to a primary source we can feasibly get".

Yay.
You're saying that you want the videos from the tweets you linked in a different format?
https://i.imgur.com/O1d9yKg.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/0xsF37u.mp4

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I hope that pirate gently caress loses his other eye

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Just talked to a rando about the drone strikes and seriously they said:

"Well the house voted to approve it so it's not really his fault."

What in the gently caress, where the gently caress did this come from? JFC.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Your average American has no real idea how their government functions.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

Your average American has no real idea how their government functions.

To be fair it changes constantly, rules are followed and ignored arbitrarily, and our constitution is extremely vague and outdated on most things.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

JosefStalinator posted:

To be fair it changes constantly, rules are followed and ignored arbitrarily, and our constitution is extremely vague and outdated on most things.

Yes but where in the gently caress did the idea that a single house of congress can approve something the President wants to do come from? My guess is this is just a proto-chud trying to evolve into their true form. I've never heard anything like this anywhere.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rumors of a US base in Kenya being actively occupied by Iranians proxies, nothing confirmed and that’s that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1213612759574863874

She is so loving terrible at this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nonsense posted:

Rumors of a US base in Kenya being occupied/attacked by Iranians proxies, nothing confirmed and that’s that.

It’s apparently Al-Shabaab that’s attacking.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

What's terrible about this tweet? It seems to me like she isn't just blindly accepting Trump leading the US into another disasterous war.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's terrible about this tweet? It seems to me like she isn't just blindly accepting Trump leading the US into another disasterous war.

Because it's the most :decorum: response possible and it's not going to do poo poo to stop it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

winter storms aren't inevitable in the southeast, though. snow of any accumulation may not fall at all in a year. the level of equipment and infrastructure necessary to keep cities in more northern american climates operational during the winter months could well go unused for years at a time in southeastern climates, and you're not just preparing major interstates (which the state does) but also major county/local roadways, and you can't expect local governments to pay for equipment and training they might use two or three times per decade versus the regular, weekly use seen in places where snow is common

e: side note - in all climates, a lot of winter weather cleanup is handled by private contractors anyway. nowhere is it really cost effective to keep all of the resources necessary to clear roads on the public payroll

since winter storms are so infrequent, the safer (and easier, and cheaper) option is just to cancel school, which forces many adults to stay home as well. just keep people off the roads, and the weather will pass in a day or two. it's best to keep people from driving in snow and ice as much as possible, since it is more dangerous as people make bad driving decisons everywhere, all of the time. but it's a risk that people have to take in colder climates since you can't expect people to just stay home and indoors for months. this is a much more feasible plan if you shut down school and government for at most two days

the winter storm in 2014 wasn't even that much snow by local standards. but it wasn't clear if snow was going to happen until the night before, and suddenly canceling school makes parents cranky since they have to spend all day with their kids. but when it was apparent that snow was definitely about to fall, local schools started closing early. this means that parents sometimes had to go pick up their kids, or go home to be present when their kids arrived. so all the traffic that normally happens late in the day happened around the time the snow started falling. there was an instant traffic jam, and then the roads froze too

the problem isn't lack of investment for roadway preparation, since that prep would not be cost effective for local governments (the state does have salt/sand trucks) and would not have solved the problem anyway. the problem is systemic and unchecked suburban growth leading to a dependence on automobile modes, which is a system that constantly fails in times of crisis caused by bad weather. the fires in paradise, ca and the deadly traffic in houston due to a hurricane evacuation in 2005 are similar examples of the vulnerability this dependence causes. we simply cannot handle the level of traffic generated during extraordinary events if everyone gets in their car at the same time. blaming a lack of salt trucks is too narrow a scope, you have to question instead why it is so utterly critical to keep roadways cleared in the first place

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RandomBlue posted:

Because it's the most :decorum: response possible and it's not going to do poo poo to stop it.

What can she do?