Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Amppelix posted:

The story is good. It's really good. It's also pretty atypical for a JRPG, especially for a DQ.

Any modern version is good. Don't play it on the super famicom.

alternatively, SNES is my fave version but DS is probably the best.

but yeah it goes to a lot of places jrpgs at the time didn't and most still don't. it introduced the monster catching mechanic to DQ. you get a sick wagon. it's just really charming and well written in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually don’t like V very much.

The concept is really cool but the silent protagonist kind of undercuts it insanely hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

What makes Dragon Quest V so good and which version should I play?

You get a love interest introduced and then you get married about a third of the way into the game rather than at the end.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does it? I thought it worked well enough. Better than in the later DQs, certainly, since you can't see your character's emotionless face in every cutscene, and they write around it in a way where it doesn't really jump out as unnatural.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Amppelix posted:

The story is good. It's really good. It's also pretty atypical for a JRPG, especially for a DQ.

Any modern version is good. Don't play it on the super famicom.

What's wrong with the Super Famicom version?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's wrong with the Super Famicom version?

The remakes (especially the DS one) are just such a huge upgrade in every way possible that the only reason to play the SNES version is for the historical value.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Amppelix posted:

Does it? I thought it worked well enough. Better than in the later DQs, certainly, since you can't see your character's emotionless face in every cutscene, and they write around it in a way where it doesn't really jump out as unnatural.

For me it did because the characters talk but you never say anything to them so they honestly felt like a traditional party more than a family to me

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You're obviously supposed to imagine your own dialogue, and of course the effectiveness of that will depend heavily on the individual, so I can't really say anything except that it works for me.

Yes I know there's that one part where you talk to yourself and the other you has dialogue. I do also really wish DQ had an actual character as the protagonist, when these are the kinds of stories they're telling.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sancho is your real family

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Amppelix posted:

You're obviously supposed to imagine your own dialogue, and of course the effectiveness of that will depend heavily on the individual, so I can't really say anything except that it works for me.

Yes I know there's that one part where you talk to yourself and the other you has dialogue. I do also really wish DQ had an actual character as the protagonist, when these are the kinds of stories they're telling.

I mean fundamentally yeah blank slate protags have never worked for me but a lot of people love em so eh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP2TYYfbfjg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't mind silent protags in western rpgs but in jrpgs there's a stronger layer of separation that makes them not really work at all for me, and even in western rpgs playing disco elysium's made me feel like i do still prefer it when the main character has some kind of existing character to them to bounce the writing off of

i do kinda like that wild arms 1 made rudy being a silent protag into like. an actual big literal plot point. but at the same time it meant a lot of the characterization and personal stakes had to be shifted onto jack and cecilia

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean he's mute, but he's not a blank slate at all really.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Silent protagonist effectiveness depends entirely on what kind of story is being told, if you ask me. If it's one in which there's a lot of interpersonal relations and character dynamics going around, then it's a bummer when one character basically just doesn't exist even though the game pretends they do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dragon quest guy? He has no personality as far as I remember. He is definitely a blank slate

He doesn’t even get the kind of exaggerated faces 3D models brought

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

babypolis posted:

ni no kuni 2 only gets about 50% there. the battle system is brain dead easy, you can literally end most encounters with a single attack, and this is an ARPG. which means you never have to engage with any single system in the game. the story is a mess and the kingdom building is not very interesting

Supposedly the new difficulties they added are quite hard

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Shin Megami Tensei IV is probably my favorite RPG of all-time. I love how sidequests focused it is.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Silent protagonist effectiveness depends entirely on what kind of story is being told, if you ask me. If it's one in which there's a lot of interpersonal relations and character dynamics going around, then it's a bummer when one character basically just doesn't exist even though the game pretends they do.

i think chrono is pretty ok because trigger isn't long, was never hugely about character interactions in the first place, and has a bunch of expressive sprites. at it's best though it just comes off as kind of lazy.

The Colonel posted:

i do kinda like that wild arms 1 made rudy being a silent protag into like. an actual big literal plot point. but at the same time it meant a lot of the characterization and personal stakes had to be shifted onto jack and cecilia

What was the plot point? It's been an extremely long time since I've played WA1. I know he's a homonculus, he does like, reply to people and talk at times. I think he does actually lose his voice when he's injured, which is kinda funny since he almost never spoke anyway, but I could be remembering that wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rudy doesn't ever speak, iirc. a lot of scenes where he interacts with other people have cecilia speaking for him

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he has a couple. they seem almost accidental, like they forgot he was a silent protag for one second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q6RB9Lu7x8&t=1063s

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IIRC, Rudy only ever nods or shakes his head to yes/no questions. There is no point where he gives "offscreen dialog" like an explanation or anything.

GulagDolls posted:

he has a couple. they seem almost accidental, like they forgot he was a silent protag for one second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q6RB9Lu7x8&t=1063s

Huh. I wonder if the translation misattributed Jack's line or something.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they're doing the jrpg thing where jack cecilia and rudy are grouped into one "sprite" but I think it's specifically Rudy that pushes Jane out of the way so, if Jack was responding he would be kind of an rear end in a top hat lol.

can't find any other instances other than if you're in the prologue and talk to him with Jack or Cecilia in Adlehyde.

I think in ACF they removed any speaking lines he had at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silent protagonists are fine in dungeon crawling romps where youre there to kill and loot with no emotional stakes and outside of that they are not good at all and never have been.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Barudak posted:

Silent protagonists are fine in dungeon crawling romps where youre there to kill and loot with no emotional stakes and outside of that they are not good at all and never have been.
Occasionally the protagonist's nature as a silent player-insert is actually relevant to the story and/or themes, like in Undertale. Hell, silence alone can be meaningful in any medium—a quick search turned up a list of well-regarded novels with silent protagonists. Is it an overused technique in RPGs and games in general? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the technique itself is useless.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elephant Parade posted:

Occasionally the protagonist's nature as a silent player-insert is actually relevant to the story and/or themes, like in Undertale. Hell, silence alone can be meaningful in any medium—a quick search turned up a list of well-regarded novels with silent protagonists. Is it an overused technique in RPGs and games in general? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the technique itself is useless.

It's also fun when the game rolls with it like they're not actually silent and make the character gesticulate like they're saying some weird poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also fun when the game rolls with it like they're not actually silent and make the character gesticulate like they're saying some weird poo poo.

The pinnacle of this was Super Mario RPG which had Mario act everything out in elaborate mime.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The guy in drakengard talks for a mission or two then trades his voice for a dragon and spends the rest of the game and its sequel communicating solely through violence

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SMRPG had Mario actually shapeshifting at times during conversations, an ability he doesn't have in-game. I mean, I suppose he could just be a quick-change artist with a concerningly comprehensive array of costumes on his person at all times, but I know which interpretation I prefer more.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Barudak posted:

I was gonna go nooooooo but then I remembered I actually finished DQ8 instead of refusing to play further into DQXI so yeah, probably

I remember DQVIII being super slow but I finished it. Didn't do the post game though.

I finished DQXI as well, finished Act 3 but... Act 3 is such a blown opportunity that I wish I didn't

Those are the only DQ games I've finished and DQVIII still wins. If there was a Switch release with the 3DS QOL features + orchestral, I'd replay DQVIII in a heartbeat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

The guy in drakengard talks for a mission or two then trades his voice for a dragon and spends the rest of the game and its sequel communicating solely through violence

Caim is also really expressive.

Like when his sister tries to gently caress him you can see the disgust.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

SMRPG had Mario actually shapeshifting at times during conversations, an ability he doesn't have in-game. I mean, I suppose he could just be a quick-change artist with a concerningly comprehensive array of costumes on his person at all times, but I know which interpretation I prefer more.
Don't his hands get real big during his punching animation when equipped with that kind of weapon? :thunk:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to ask for recommendations of which version of Mother 1, a.k.a. Earthbound Beginnings, to play. I was thinking of doing a full playthrough of the trilogy, but I've never played the first. I was originally going to play the Wii U VC version, but after some research that doesn't seem to necessarily be the best idea in terms of translation and difficulty/grindiness. Any thoughts?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gba version with the fan tl that gives you the easy ring is the least tedious

i think there's a patch for the nes version that gives it all the stuff from that patch too

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
At the end of BoFIV Ryu speaks and it's kinda funny because everyone is shocked but it's not like he was mute in the first place (He doesn't have any written dialogue but he clearly speaks and gestures during conversations)

It's still a pretty effective narrative trick, a blank slate protag suddenly speaks their mind. Are there any other games that do this?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 5, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The South Park RPG.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FFXIV has a moment sort of like that.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV is probably my favorite RPG of all-time. I love how sidequests focused it is.

The sidequests were insanely good. It's also great that they handed out so much xp, so instead of grinding in the traditional sense (running around in circles beating up on the same demons) you could just go tackle a whole bunch of them

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

WaltherFeng posted:

At the end of BoFIV Ryu speaks and it's kinda funny because everyone is shocked but it's not like he was mute in the first place (He doesn't have any written dialogue but he clearly speaks and gestures during conversations)

It's still a pretty effective narrative trick, a blank slate protag suddenly speaks their mind. Are there any other games that do this?

One of the joke endings in Chrono Trigger did this, I think.

Undertale also sorta does it on a particular path, for much less comical effect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Golden Sun The Lost Age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Golden Sun The Lost Age
Why?