Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

On the one hand, probably no, not really. On the other hand, that kind of 'look we hosed up and killed a few of your guys, now you shell one of our positions and we agree not to escalate' is a fairly standard way these things are resolved so something of the like may well have been offered, though I doubt the US would offer up anyone actually high up.

If this was a thing (p big hypothetical) the unanswered attacks against US bases today probably would've been something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yes I am sure that the Pentagon has no idea about the military capabilities of the nation Washington has wanted to go to war with for 40 years, and that they need to be schooled by some junior-level analyst, because this isn't a Tom Clancy novel, of course.

whistling past the graveyard of empires

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The thing that still really perplexes me is why so many people in the administration were apparently all in on the idea that the Iranians would just fuckin take it with no response. It's rare to be able to say that anyone in government actually believes something, but they really seem to have bought into that idea 100%

In a video game, when you kill the enemy boss, you win. Then you the game is over and you get an achievement and some congratulation text about how great a hero you are.

People in the administration believe that the world works exactly like a video game. I mean, they've been trying to hurry/rush-buy the F-35 for over a decade.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Iran has been preparing for this for a long time, they have better air defense capabilities than some US allies.

Most US allies don't bother having any actual defense capability, since they have an infinite, unshakeable faith in the US coming to help them. They are therefore a terrible metric.

Frank Sidebottom posted:

I'm sure the Pentagon understands what Iran's military capabilities are, SA poster Flaming Liberal

I'm glad you have that much faith in the Pentagon's wisdom and sagacity, and invite you to discover the Littoral Coast Ship saga.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yes I am sure that the Pentagon has no idea about the military capabilities of the nation Washington has wanted to go to war with for 40 years, and that they need to be schooled by some junior-level analyst, because this isn't a Tom Clancy novel, of course.

Washington having lusted for Persian blood for the last forty years is pretty much the reason why the Pentagon's assessments aren't going to be worth the toilet paper they're printed on. It's gonna be pages after pages of racist slurs, half-baked attempts at blaming them for 9/11, and an in-depth description of Iran's nuclear bunkers repurposed from some intern's D&D session.

But yeah, these guys totally have it in the bag, they have a fair and accurate understanding of the situation, that's why they've managed to win Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria so decisively.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
https://twitter.com/andres_daguila/status/1213637343950839813?s=21

Huh

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If that was actually part of the response, and not just some random sympathizer, it's embarrassing as hell. It probably was the random sympathizer though.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Can anyone make sense of what's going on in the Iraqi parliament vs. expelling US troops?
I'm seeing contradictory reports of whether the necessary quorum was reached or not.

Regardless, the situation is reminiscent of Lebanon, circa 1975. This will surely end well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Herostratus posted:

Can anyone make sense of what's going on in the Iraqi parliament vs. expelling US troops?
I'm seeing contradictory reports of whether the necessary quorum was reached or not.

Regardless, the situation is reminiscent of Lebanon, circa 1975. This will surely end well.

They appear to be inquorate, but that still means there's a whole bunch of important people in a room together getting hyped up to raise hell for America.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

What a clusterfuck:
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1213827220764057600
https://twitter.com/samdagher/status/1213828091782615041
https://twitter.com/janearraf/status/1213823941321592834

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

They appear to be inquorate, but that still means there's a whole bunch of important people in a room together getting hyped up to raise hell for America.

https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1213778593446350848

This is probably why not everyone is present

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Is this suggesting Soleimani was lured to Iraq by the US to get assassinated?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sajadjiyad/status/1213819640540991490?s=21

Heads up, gang. They're quorate.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

God I hope they go through with it and the DOD actually accepts it and tells us to gtfo. We need to get the hell out of Iraq

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/mobashernewss/status/1213830793753243649

The Iraqi parliament decides to end the security agreement with the coalition forces.

Vote to end the American military presence and limit the weapons to the state’s hand

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Buh byeee

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/HLapcha/status/1213832018188029952?s=19

Whoops!!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1213833015199182850?s=19

Trump is going to lose his poo poo and there's also no way the US government respects this.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wow. Actions have consequences? Who woulda known.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Not quite over yet
https://twitter.com/iqanalkhassaf/status/1213832395159412736?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bibi's been around Trump too much, because he's saying the quiet part loud again:

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1213829420760403969?s=20

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

20 Blunts posted:

it just blows my mind an impeached president was able to make such a weighty decision.

He's effectively your sovereign until the next election inauguration.

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I'm down with sending John Bolton to prison in Iran in exchange, this whole thing could be a net positive.

Hell round up the whole gang of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush, Rice, Powell. Throw in Kissinger for good measure.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 5, 2020

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Tweets like these remind me how little I understand the governments of the Middle East. I was under the impression that parliament and the president of Iran are more or less props to make the country appear democratic while being ruled by a Supreme Leader. Like, parliament doesn’t have to approve poo poo if Khamenei declares the agreement is null.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Aggro posted:

Tweets like these remind me how little I understand the governments of the Middle East. I was under the impression that parliament and the president of Iran are more or less props to make the country appear democratic while being ruled by a Supreme Leader. Like, parliament doesn’t have to approve poo poo if Khomeini declares the agreement is null.

Iraq isn't Iran my dude.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Orange Devil posted:

Iraq isn't Iran my dude.
Welp, that helps further cement my ignorance

:hurr:

Aggro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 5, 2020

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Im wondering if Iran will get personal towards trump and target his hotels. Thats really the best outcome. He cant use the US military to protect his personal assets, can he?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Aggro posted:

Tweets like these remind me how little I understand the governments of the Middle East. I was under the impression that parliament and the president of Iran are more or less props to make the country appear democratic while being ruled by a Supreme Leader. Like, parliament doesn’t have to approve poo poo if Khamenei declares the agreement is null.

I mean this is pretty standard even for western governments - this vote is pretty much equivalent to a congressional resolution but actually cancelling the status of forces agreement needs to be initiated by the executive through legislation. Of course an issue is the current government is a caretaker one put in place after the PM's resignation pending agreement on a new government (which has been ongoing in Iraq for weeks and which the Us and Iran have been trying to exert influence over quietly) so whether the current government had the requisite authority to proceed or will punt the issue to the next government is a bit uncertain.

Some expectation that the current government may drag it's feets slightly on legislation though there does seem to be a desire for full legislation to be tabled next week

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 5, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lube banjo posted:

Im wondering if Iran will get personal towards trump and target his hotels. Thats really the best outcome. He cant use the US military to protect his personal assets, can he?

He totally could.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Lube banjo posted:

Im wondering if Iran will get personal towards trump and target his hotels. Thats really the best outcome.
Hotels are civilian targets and innocent civilians are living in Hotels. I wouldn't call this the best outcome, but hey...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Aggro posted:

Welp, that helps further cement my ignorance

:hurr:

Kudos for owning it, tho.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Boy, if that's true.

e: interesting that the Iraqi parlaiment is calling for all foreign troops to leave; not just US ones. Anyone have any idea how many uniformed troops Iran has in Iraq? I'm sure some, though I don't know how official that would be. Other countries also have soldiers in Iraq-- I know Canada has 800 something there and I think Britain does as well.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 5, 2020

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

Im wondering if Iran will get personal towards trump and target his hotels. Thats really the best outcome.

You wonder the response from everyone else... I'd imagine it would be like Cheese getting shot in The Wire

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dante80 posted:

Hotels are civilian targets and innocent civilians are living in Hotels. I wouldn't call this the best outcome, but hey...

Last I checked, hotel staff wear uniforms of some type, making them a legit target. :pseudo:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Boy, if that's true.

e: interesting that the Iraqi parlaiment is calling for all foreign troops to leave; not just US ones. Anyone have any idea how many uniformed troops Iran has in Iraq? I'm sure some, though I don't know how official that would be. Other countries also have soldiers in Iraq-- I know Canada has 800 something there and I think Britain does as well.

Several countries have instructors there training military and police against ISIS, including Kurds. I know Finland has about 80 personnel there as part of Operation Inherent Resolve.

Here's a Finnish instructor training a group of Kurdish combat medics in Erbil:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On the one hand, probably no, not really. On the other hand, that kind of 'look we hosed up and killed a few of your guys, now you shell one of our positions and we agree not to escalate' is a fairly standard way these things are resolved so something of the like may well have been offered, though I doubt the US would offer up anyone actually high up.

If this was a thing (p big hypothetical) the unanswered attacks against US bases today probably would've been something like that.

We all know that if Iran did assassinate a 4 star general then that, even if they had a gentlemen’s agreement, then the missiles would be launched before we ever even knew it happened.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
It will be interesting when it is disclosed how Trump and those around him thought this would play out. I’d expect they were thinking of a Baghdadi type response.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ganglysumbia posted:

It will be interesting when it is disclosed how Trump and those around him thought this would play out. I’d expect they were thinking of a Baghdadi type response.

Pompeo has already been whining about how European allies aren't being thankful enough. They had no clue.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lube banjo posted:

Iran ordering sleeper cells across the world to stay in Trump hotels and skip out on the bill

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
So let's see if the US drops the pretense or Iraqi sovereignty is real

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Judakel posted:

Pompeo has already been whining about how European allies aren't being thankful enough. They had no clue.

Pompeo's whining worked, Raab hurried to fellate Trump.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-raab-legal/uks-raab-says-us-had-right-of-self-defense-in-soleimani-killing-idUSKBN1Z408N

Every country's got the right to defend itself, except of course Iran. When Iran defends itself, it's bad and evil.

Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

Iran ordering sleeper cells across the world to stay in Trump hotels and skip out on the bill

Drinking from the minibar and then refilling bottles with water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Scoresese couldn't have thunk up a more deceptive mob hit than this.