Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Shwqa posted:

I saw it too. I assume it is just a gacha game without any heroes of might and magic mechanics.

I have been playing it a bit and there is not a lot of homm in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Could anyone recommend a good roguelike or roguelike game? Something like binding of Isaac or enter the gungeon. Or just a good regular roguelike.

Pathos: Nethack Codex

It's heavily inspired by Nethack, but not really a Nethack port. The UI and controls are well-suited for touch controls.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stardew Valley on Android: yes or no? I was eyeing it on Steam, then I realised Play Store has a similar sale for me.

Disclosure: Never played a Harvest Moon-type game before, so am honestly not sure if I'll enjoy it. Looking for a "chill experience" where I hopefully get to make pretty farm and have good vibes! I know it's a different type of game, but think Animal Crossing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes it's fun the controls are good, game is fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Artelier posted:

Stardew Valley on Android: yes or no? I was eyeing it on Steam, then I realised Play Store has a similar sale for me.

Disclosure: Never played a Harvest Moon-type game before, so am honestly not sure if I'll enjoy it. Looking for a "chill experience" where I hopefully get to make pretty farm and have good vibes! I know it's a different type of game, but think Animal Crossing.

You'll love it. I'd argue that, though I haven't played 1.4 yet, the mobile controls are the best. The game works surprisingly well with touch stuff.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

easy Yes

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Holy poo poo is Black Desert Online a convoluted mess of quests and currencies. I can't tell if I'm actually playing the game, or if I'm in the tutorial still, and I'm like level 15. There's a million little collection quests, missions, and stuff. This game is so unnecessarily confusing and loaded with nonsense.

I want to like it, but they loving bombard you with so much poo poo so fast, it becomes extremely overwhelming very fast.

Are there any mmos out there that are simple? Something similar to the WoW, Rift, Warhammer, ffxi era? I don't want to chase 15 currencies, 6 cash shops, and another hyperbolic number of "side quests". This FOMO poo poo in videogames is really annoying and making a genre I used to love terrible.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

There hasn't really been a fun asynchronous turn based MP game eh? I tried playing Words with Friends 2 with my partner over the xmas break but it failed to capture the magic of the first one and the ad-density drove us insane. Any genre really.

Also if you guys still play Polytopia (I know I've gotten my money's worth many times over and keep going back), the premium tribes are on sale for a 1.50$/ea until the end of the month.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Xtanstic posted:

There hasn't really been a fun asynchronous turn based MP game eh? I tried playing Words with Friends 2 with my partner over the xmas break but it failed to capture the magic of the first one and the ad-density drove us insane. Any genre really.

Would love something like this too, I loved played Frozen Synapse, but I'm hesitant to buy FS2 because I'm on Mac. Both are kind of dead from what I hear anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle are both very good and have async multiplayer. The turns are very thinky though, which might not appeal if you're looking for a light phone game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
been playing dragon champions a lot recently and it seems to be one of the more honest gacha games if you're interested

devs are active and have reverted changes based on feedback before, IAP isnt super offensive and the upgrading/collection is pretty well refined

link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playquantum.battler

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

been playing dragon champions a lot recently and it seems to be one of the more honest gacha games if you're interested

devs are active and have reverted changes based on feedback before, IAP isnt super offensive and the upgrading/collection is pretty well refined

link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playquantum.battler

Bounced off Black Desert pretty hard but found Dragon Champions really engaging and not overwhelming with currencies, and the mission system is a great guide as to what to do next. There appears to be a GoonSquad guild but it's full of inactives - would love to join if some got kicked!

I'm in as WayfaringStrangr.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What are my options for chill building/simulation-type games? My girlfriend is looking for something like farmville (ugh) only not trash. I know stardew valley exists but I'm not sure if I can convince her it's worth 9 bucks. I already told her to check out kairosoft maybe, but she didn't like the artstyle.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oenis posted:

What are my options for chill building/simulation-type games? My girlfriend is looking for something like farmville (ugh) only not trash. I know stardew valley exists but I'm not sure if I can convince her it's worth 9 bucks. I already told her to check out kairosoft maybe, but she didn't like the artstyle.

Pocket City is chill as can be, and there is a free version.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need a quick fun connectionless game to play when I wait for the train after work. I don't have cell signal while waiting, and thus all my usual suspects aren't available.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zotix posted:

I need a quick fun connectionless game to play when I wait for the train after work. I don't have cell signal while waiting, and thus all my usual suspects aren't available.

Hoplite

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Card Quest

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Oenis posted:

Stardew Valley is great but it's not really comparable to the timer-clicker games like farmville. It needs a bit more introduction. That said, my gf has 400 hours in the game now, she also went to it from playing farmville and not anything more complicated.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eve Echoes is the best Idle game of the year. It's Eve but on your phone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Eve Echoes is the best Idle game of the year. It's Eve but on your phone.

1.8gb for an idle game?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

1.8gb for an idle game?

It's also not actually idle, so there's that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm not close enough on any fairies to consider rolling for them right now. I know I should, but realistically, I just need my resources to be 6-digits again before I'm comfortable again. The ones I use are 3 star, and only have one 4-star (Rescue).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any goon activity on Eve Echoes? Space stuff seems fun right now but I don't want to end up on the butt end of a goon swarm if I pick the wrong starting race.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

m.hache posted:

Is there any goon activity on Eve Echoes? Space stuff seems fun right now but I don't want to end up on the butt end of a goon swarm if I pick the wrong starting race.

There's a thread in MMO HMO

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905098

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I was looking under the Mobile Gaming forums.

Thanks!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is it the same janky UI just ported to mobile?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zotix posted:

Is it the same janky UI just ported to mobile?

Looks like a touch screen optimized UI with the spirit of the pc one

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is EVE Echos supposed to be played on a tablet? Most text and menus are really small on my phone.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spaseman posted:

Is EVE Echos supposed to be played on a tablet? Most text and menus are really small on my phone.

All I know is on my brand new P30 pro it ran like garbage.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Me: This Another Eden is pretty great. Let me extoll this to the goons.

Another Eden: Dark elves and all their descendents are cursed with brown skin because their ancestors committed forgivable sins.

Me: Goddamit Japan.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 6, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just survived a boss refight meant for folks 5 levels higher than I am and got a special hammer!
...which needs to be level-ground by fighting specific enemies. Damnit Another Eden, does everything interesting have to be turned into a massive gind? I'll just put that in a pile next to the fishing and town restoration.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Me: This Another Eden is pretty great. Let me extoll this to the goons.

Another Eden: Dark elves and all their descendents are cursed with brown skin because their ancestors committed forgivable sins.

Me: Goddamit Japan.

In fairness, this is cribbing from D&D like a lot of RPGs do; Forgotten Realms has used "subrace of elves and all their descendants are cursed with dark skin for unforgivable sins" as their explanation for Drow since the late 80's (the first Drizz't book was released in 1990). I would posit it's also cribbing from period anime to show "dark skin" as "brown skin", e.g. Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War (which cribbed from D&D among other games).

(and D&D cribbed from Tolkein (Moriquendi as "dark elves" in this case), who cribbed from the Prose Edda (Dökkálfar))

I'm slowly bouncing off Epic 7 due to slow release of content and staring into an endless grind of despair, so I've started on Another Eden today. Still in the tutorial area, but I'm digging the style so far.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gentleman Owl posted:

In fairness, this is cribbing from D&D like a lot of RPGs do; Forgotten Realms has used "subrace of elves and all their descendants are cursed with dark skin for unforgivable sins" as their explanation for Drow since the late 80's (the first Drizz't book was released in 1990). I would posit it's also cribbing from period anime to show "dark skin" as "brown skin", e.g. Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War (which cribbed from D&D among other games).

(and D&D cribbed from Tolkein (Moriquendi as "dark elves" in this case), who cribbed from the Prose Edda (Dökkálfar))

I'm slowly bouncing off Epic 7 due to slow release of content and staring into an endless grind of despair, so I've started on Another Eden today. Still in the tutorial area, but I'm digging the style so far.

I always thought the Drow had dark skin because they moved underground and evolved that way. Not the case?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Morpheus posted:

I always thought the Drow had dark skin because they moved underground and evolved that way. Not the case?

In nature animals that live underground their entire lives evolve to have very pale skin.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Skwirl posted:

In nature animals that live underground their entire lives evolve to have very pale skin.

For sure but I'd say most of the underdark races have dark skin. Eh not the right thread for it but that was my thought of the original design concept, underground = dark.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I finally cleared Chapter 13 in Another Eden*, and now Joker and Mona are Guest Characters. Getting closer to making them permanent characters! And Mona's healing is supposed to be superior to even that one 5★ healer? If so, that'll be a nice boon!

*Thanks to the tip to grin the Another Dungeons for levels and materials to make gear

Morpheus posted:

For sure but I'd say most of the underdark races have dark skin. Eh not the right thread for it but that was my thought of the original design concept, underground = dark.

That's always possible. Gygax didn't exactly stick to the sources when turing mythological creatures into fantasy enemies. See Medusa & Gorgon...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kheldarn posted:

I finally cleared Chapter 13 in Another Eden*, and now Joker and Mona are Guest Characters. Getting closer to making them permanent characters! And Mona's healing is supposed to be superior to even that one 5★ healer? If so, that'll be a nice boon!

Mona gets two healing spells both flat-rate healing. One for 500hp, another for 1000hp and that's boosted to 1500 by mona's unique weapon which is found in the sidequest.

I don't think it's difficult to find if you're checking corners for chests, but don't worry about missing it, there's a door at the end of time to access areas like that which disappear due to plot progression. Also the reqpon requires level 60 so no rush.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Don't forget that some forms of Christianity (especially Mormonism) believe black people are descendants of Cain and were cursed with black skin as a result of his murder of his brother.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Morpheus posted:

No, the Drow are black because they're evil. They were normal elves that got cursed by a God to be black to indicate they were evil and then driven underground by the regular white elves. They did not evolve underground, they're literally normal elves that the other elves make live underground because they are black. And they're black because they are inherently evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

Don't forget that some forms of Christianity (especially Mormonism) believe black people are descendants of Cain and were cursed with black skin as a result of his murder of his brother.

I thought this usually was because of Ham, not Cain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_(son_of_Noah)