Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Don't they mainly just hit logistical targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Viva Miriya posted:

The concept of international law is a joke to me anyway. There's no one to enforce said law except other nations. And how often do they ever do that when it counts?
"The concept of law is a joke to me anyway. There's no one to enforce said law except other humans. And how often do they ever do that when it counts?"

The benefits of a rules-based order aren't readily noticed until they're gone. The answer to international law being poorly- or selectively-enforced isn't to throw up one's hands and say, "Let states do as they will!", instead, it's something that we have to fight for. Otherwise, the same bad or imperfect actors that flaunted the law as it existed will have an even freer hand.

Unrelated, but I really can't blame Iran if they dash for a nuke at this point. Just have to hope that the US/Israel don't attempt a direct intervention to prevent it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

"The concept of law is a joke to me anyway. There's no one to enforce said law except other humans. And how often do they ever do that when it counts?"

The benefits of a rules-based order aren't readily noticed until they're gone. The answer to international law being poorly- or selectively-enforced isn't to throw up one's hands and say, "Let states do as they will!", instead, it's something that we have to fight for. Otherwise, the same bad or imperfect actors that flaunted the law as it existed will have an even freer hand.

Unrelated, but I really can't blame Iran if they dash for a nuke at this point. Just have to hope that the US/Israel don't attempt a direct intervention to prevent it.

Trump’s relations with North Korea is all the evidence any nation needs that getting a nuke is critical.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

not caring here posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is now saying suilemani was a cool guy, more that if you nail a dude on a diplomatic mission that you set up, there's gonna be consequences.

You know, like your own diplomats now having a free-for-all target on their back. Or war.

Feature, not bug.

Gutting federal institutions and turning the remaining diplomatic corps into a human fleet of USS Coles seems exactly the sort of thing the GOP fantasized about from '01 to '16.

Tea Party at Armageddon.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Uhh states already do as they will so lmfao Professor, gently caress off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I work in one of 20ish facilities that are vital for air transportation to function. At least there's a fence and some guards at a shack, that'll stop some bad guys!

Working in a building that is absolutely on a target list is actually kinda freeing. If the balloon goes up while we’re at work, we’ll probably never even know it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1213908519830855680?s=20

https://twitter.com/OsintWorld/status/1213913755492458496

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hail SS-18 SATAN

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

From AJE's scroll https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/soleimani-funeral-iran-latest-updates-200105053715338.html

https://twitter.com/CAIRNational/status/1213888605334233088

quote:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said more than 60 Iranians and Iranian-Americans were "detained at length and questioned at the Peace Arch Border Crossing" in Blaine, Washington.

Many more were reportedly refused entry to the US due to a lack of capacity for Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) to detain them, CAIR said in a post on its website.

Those detained said their passports were confiscated and they were questioned about their political views and allegiances. Many were returning from an Iranian pop concert in Vancouver, Canada.

CBP have yet to comment but a source within the patrol reportedly told CAIR that the Department of Homeland Security issued a national order to CBP to report and detain anyone with Iranian heritage entering the country who is deemed potentially suspicious or "adversarial", regardless of citizenship status, CAIR said.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

what. the. gently caress.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So like what 3 weeks until we stop using the concentration camps for Mexicans and start using them for Iranians? Or do you think theyre just gonna say fuckit theyre all brown close enough toss them all in? George Takei is gonna be blowing up all over Twitter on this one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Isn't the green zone covered in multiple overlapping CIWS sectors or some other form of anti-missile/ballistic poo poo?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Flying_Crab posted:

what. the. gently caress.

Muslim-ban, duh.

:suicide:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Isn't the green zone covered in multiple overlapping CIWS sectors or some other form of anti-missile/ballistic poo poo?

No. I would not recklessly publish a list of passive defense measures, but it’s public knowledge that there is no C-RAM remaining in Iraq. Just in Afghanistan for now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

75 rounds a second of 20mill that can reach out to 2.2 miles? gently caress i would NOT want to live anywhere near a us embassy if we have thise things parked all around them

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213919480574812160?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

75 rounds a second of 20mill that can reach out to 2.2 miles? gently caress i would NOT want to live anywhere near a us embassy if we have thise things parked all around them

It’s less dangerous than it sounds. You can program in no-fire zones, radars connected to the system dynamically cease fire if they detect aircraft in the path, and the rounds self-destruct while airborne, such that small enough pieces of metal fall down to make it so to take lethal damage from the debris they’d basically have to swallow or inhale the C-RAM round debris on the way down. Debris size from the incoming varies!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I went a long, looooong time before I finally "got" the whole crack ping thing, but holy poo poo now here it is.

Does this mean my great aunt's "I don't give Facebook consent to own my images" post is also valid now?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

It’s less dangerous than it sounds. You can program in no-fire zones, radars connected to the system dynamically cease fire if they detect aircraft in the path, and the rounds self-destruct while airborne, such that small enough pieces of metal fall down to make it so to take lethal damage from the debris they’d basically have to swallow or inhale the C-RAM round debris on the way down. Debris size from the incoming varies!

I would care less about the safety issue than the sound.

CIWS emptying a mag is glorious as hell, but I wouldn't want to get woken up by it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Welp. To quote the masterwork Smokin Aces this is loving up fast and picking up speed.

I think im gonna plan some vacation time in feb to visit friends i havent seen in years just incase we're still allowed to travel inside the country by that point

mlmp08 posted:

Ah ok didnt know about the self destruct function for the rounds. That makes it way less terrifying but id still be wary incase you get that one round headed your way where it didnt detonate. But then again at that point you have to worry about micrometeorites with your name on them i guess.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

My favorite description of CIWS is "it's not the last line of defense, it's the first step on damage control".

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Disproportionate response

You know if we had an actual opposition party we could notch another war crime on his impending trial at the hague

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Declaring war via Twitter. loving millenials

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Stravag posted:

Ah ok didnt know about the self destruct function for the rounds. That makes it way less terrifying but id still be wary incase you get that one round headed your way where it didnt detonate. But then again at that point you have to worry about micrometeorites with your name on them i guess.

There's always going to be a failure rate on that self destruct of course.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I really wish everything wasn't so goddamn stupid all the goddamn time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Viva Miriya posted:

Uhh states already do as they will so lmfao Professor, gently caress off.

Yes, let's mock people who present their argument rationally, especially when they're right. :rolleye:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Declaring war crimes via Twitter.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

Yes, let's mock people who present their argument rationally, especially when they're right. :rolleye:

I don't have time for that soft rear end bullshit. gently caress him and gently caress you too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

No. I would not recklessly publish a list of passive defense measures, but it’s public knowledge that there is no C-RAM remaining in Iraq. Just in Afghanistan for now.

In the videos of recent rocket attacks you can see C-RAM attempting to intercept

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Declaring war crimes via Twitter.

Ayy fam snapchat me the pics from the canoeing trip - SEAL TEAM SIX group chat

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1213934759283449858 Iran definitely going to let this one go.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I do have a fear that one day I'm going to wake up and we'll actually have launched a nuke in retaliation for something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I do live in hope that one day I'm going to wake up and we'll actually have launched a nuke in retaliation for something.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Subtweeting notifying Congress on the use of military force; truly a bitch-rear end move if ever there was one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm actually curious in if there is any escalation Iran can do that would not lead to Trump further escalating? Besides the legislature growing a pair and forbidding Trump the use of further military force in the middle east. I think anything Iran does besides posture is only going to result in an ouroboros of stupid death without escalating to nuclear war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LibCrusher posted:

In the videos of recent rocket attacks you can see C-RAM attempting to intercept

Source them videos please.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The sandbox one has the wrong kind of c-ram

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Woodchip posted:

The sandbox one has the wrong kind of c-ram

:eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Where's Vaultec when you need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's cool that if you believe any of the propaganda about the jingoistic dick waving "maximum pressure" campaign the purpose was to foment instability and make the domestic pressure untenable. Shame about that crazy little 'reality' thing where we just gave the entire country something to rally around, working completely at odds with the previous propaganda but hey I guess gently caress reality though. Forget what your lying eyes are telling you, listen to the party, trust in the plan or some poo poo, trigger some liberals with your not being politically correct. Your kids will really feel bad next Thanksgiving when they're all proven wrong by the glorious orange god and have to come groveling back to you, tears in their eyes saying 'Sir, sir, I was wrong!' or what the gently caress ever motivates these people other than hatred and spite.