Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
If that Bolt is a towed vehicle, I could see it could be a way to charge it some without mucking about with the RV electrical system or the Bolt too much. It would be quite the task to get enough energy out of an existing RV electrical system to make it worth doing. Outside of running the genset for extended periods. Its slightly klugy but I can't knock the idea. I think the worst part given what I can see of it might be that the alternator will eat a lot of shmoo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bogatyr posted:

If that Bolt is a towed vehicle, I could see it could be a way to charge it some without mucking about with the RV electrical system or the Bolt too much. It would be quite the task to get enough energy out of an existing RV electrical system to make it worth doing. Outside of running the genset for extended periods. Its slightly klugy but I can't knock the idea. I think the worst part given what I can see of it might be that the alternator will eat a lot of shmoo right there.

Don't RVs already have a fairly decent charging system for their leisure batteries? Wouldn't you just need to run a thick power cable from that system to the car and avoid the need for anything mechanical to be bolted onto the car at all?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Don't RVs already have a fairly decent charging system for their leisure batteries? Wouldn't you just need to run a thick power cable from that system to the car and avoid the need for anything mechanical to be bolted onto the car at all?

Just off the top of my head...Depends on what they are towing it with. Maybe. Then you have the question of how far you have to run that cabling, you'll get into a good sized voltage drop pretty quick trying to move real current at 12 volts conceivably the length of an RV plus the tow bar and wherever you need to be on the Bolt 50 feet I bet(100 foot loop) . Could be some pretty large gauge cable 4/0 is a half volt drop at that length if you want the 100 amps that alternator can give(at least). Then you have to mate that cable up to both system's bus work, fuse it, support it, then some sort of robust connector between the two vehicles so that you can sever the connection easily.

Not impossible but the wheel driven alternator's attractiveness has a lot of unknown variables(if that's what it is)... I'm just saying, sure, why not. Could be a shitshow, could be the the hot setup.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

It's for sale.

One good pothole and I can see this snapping in half.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's for sale.

One good pothole and I can see this snapping in half.

:stonk:

$102,000 for a butchered discovette is true terrible car stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Funzo posted:

My neighbor has been out working on his project Honda today. By working on it I mean running it in his driveway for hours at a time, with the engine constantly surging up and down. I have no idea what he’s trying to accomplish, and I suspect he doesn’t either. He’s not actively doing anything during this, it just sits and revs up and down the whole time.

90s model? Just from the description that's probably the idle air control valve loving up, specifically the "cold fast idle".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There's always the Corvette Limo from Mystery Men

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

$102,000 for a butchered discovette is true terrible car stuff.

Down from $217,203 a year ago!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Funzo posted:

My neighbor has been out working on his project Honda today. By working on it I mean running it in his driveway for hours at a time, with the engine constantly surging up and down. I have no idea what he’s trying to accomplish, and I suspect he doesn’t either. He’s not actively doing anything during this, it just sits and revs up and down the whole time.

Don’t yuck someone’s yum

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I unironically love that stretched vette

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I unironically love that stretched vette

Oh I do too. Stick a rowdy LSx in it with a six speed and let my mullet flow in the wind.

$100k for it is insanity, though.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

GD_American posted:

Don’t yuck someone’s yum

I’m not trying to say his choice of project is bad. I just can’t figure out why he keeps leaving it running for hours at a time when he’s not actually working on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Funzo posted:

I’m not trying to say his choice of project is bad. I just can’t figure out why he keeps leaving it running for hours at a time when he’s not actually working on it.

I have a neighbor that does this except its a straight pipe foxbody. it moves under its own power in and out of his garage so i suspect its him just keeping fluids moving. but i've never seen him actually drive it in 10+ years.

it was cute when i moved here, it stopped being cute pretty quickly. i wouldn't mind if he was doing it up to operating temp but its like 2 hours every saturday or sunday of him just rev'ing the piss outta the thing. I'm like 4 houses down from him so i usually just put on some headphones or something but i have no idea why his direct neighbors put up with it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Chiming in on the noisy neighbor hate. A total dirtbag a block up has a Trailblazer SS with some form of exhaust fuckery. Sounds like deleted muffler/resonator at least. I wouldn't care at all, except for as far as I can tell he sells drugs since he literally comes and goes his house 20-30 times a day, sometimes as often as every 15 minutes. So now I hate the way a loud LS sounds since the noise bounces off the front of my house every single time he drives by. Must be payback for my ricer days with my loud exhaust on my Tercel in high school.

I really hope he gets arrested or moves or something.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
or he's signed up for a bunch of gig work

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We have a guy with a Challenger that is constantly coming and going at odd hours, and it must be straight piped because its beyond obnoxiously loud.

Regularly drives by at like 11:30 at night making ungodly racket.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://youtu.be/PBMi7ItQuu4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is more like "Post incredibly predictable car stuff"

https://giant.gfycat.com/CaringHappyFlickertailsquirrel.webm

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

We have a guy with a Challenger that is constantly coming and going at odd hours, and it must be straight piped because its beyond obnoxiously loud.

Regularly drives by at like 11:30 at night making ungodly racket.

I ran my Z06 with the exhaust open 99% of the time... Except pulling into/out of neighborhoods after 9pm.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there an exhaust valve or something that lets you change it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

taqueso posted:

Is there an exhaust valve or something that lets you change it?

Z06s had an electric valve that opened to a second (louder) set of mufflers on factory cars. My quiet side was stock, the loud side was straight pipes, and I had a switch in the cabin, ya.

I miss that car. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I should put a glasspack on Brokeback. :haw:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR posted:

UEL headers and a muffler delete, let's make it sing :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My neighbor has three trucks and a Mustang and they are all loud as hell. His Mustang is a 69 fastback set up for drag racing but he doesn't drag race it, and one of his trucks is a 08 stepside street rod with like 800hp that's his daily driver, huge turbo on an LS. He uses it to run errands and poo poo it's such a waste, I keep telling him he needs to take it to the drag strip and he just says "nah I just cruise around in it." In the middle of urban sprawl Florida, were he can't possibly get it anywhere near to it's potential.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

or he's signed up for a bunch of gig work

Isn't selling drugs the original gig economy job? You hang around waiting for someone to ping your mobile requesting drugs, you go deliver them drugs, they give you money for it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Finger Prince posted:

Isn't selling drugs the original gig economy job? You hang around waiting for someone to ping your mobile requesting drugs, you go deliver them drugs, they give you money for it.

touche

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

STR posted:

I want to know what a glass pack would sound like on a 2JZ. I'm yet to find video evidence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Finger Prince posted:

The world’s oldest profession was a gig.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You would think a drug dealer would want like the quietest, most nondescript, boring, least attention drawing vehicle possible. Something like my Hyundai Elantra, a car naturally protected by a SEP field. Yours eyes just slide right off it.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Imagined posted:

You would think a drug dealer would want like the quietest, most nondescript, boring, least attention drawing vehicle possible.

2 Fast 2 Furious will disagree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VIM03DXWI

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Imagined posted:

You would think a drug dealer would want like the quietest, most nondescript, boring, least attention drawing vehicle possible. Something like my Hyundai Elantra, a car naturally protected by a SEP field. Yours eyes just slide right off it.

On the other hand, an acid green Focus ST street parked outside a rough housing estate pretty solidly advertises "do not gently caress with me, I sell drugs and have weapons", even if you don't. Camouflage vs Aposematism.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
When I had my more or less straight-through exhaust equipped DSMs (one with an external WG dump pipe as well), I would try and make it a point of not going over 2k rpm while in my parents' neighborhood.

Everywhere else was fair game.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My cherry bomb* equipped 1.6 Miata was substantially louder than my H-pipe Mustang GT.

I can set off car alarms pretty easily by goosing the throttle in the Mustang in a parking garage, but the Miata would do it out in the open. Off-throttle.

* - it was installed backward, sooooo pretty much just a straight pipe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Finger Prince posted:

On the other hand, an acid green Focus ST street parked outside a rough housing estate pretty solidly advertises "do not gently caress with me, I sell drugs and have weapons", even if you don't. Camouflage vs Aposematism.

I witnessed that in the wild one time, in a really rough neighborhood in OKC.
"Why is that dude leaving the keys in his parked custom chopper in a place like this ooooooohhh I understand now"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Imagined posted:

2012 Toyota Prius in white. That's the Uber of choice where I am and because of that is completely invisible. For bonus points drive like a genuine Uber driver would, don't indicate, don't give way, park whereever you like and pull no notice u turns. Actually scratch that just sign up as a driver and do two jobs at once.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Bajaha posted:

UEL headers and a muffler delete, let's make it sing :getin:

I'd do the same, but my OB has the H6... which has the exhaust collector built in to the head, and therefore only one exhaust outlet per head. No headers for me. Really sucks, because *flat six*!

(not mine - I haven't had to pull the engine...yet.)

OBX makes a stainless steel "header", but why?

Still could replace the massive factory muffler, I suppose...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/ShittyMods/status/1214656220721754115

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It's actually, like, lovely inception: it's lovely car mods on a lovely car.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The seats are made from BBQ grills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ford "two piece" lugnuts. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. I had no idea this was a thing until today.

GF curbed her fiesta and blew the tire but thankfully it was only a few hundred feet from the house so it made it to the driveway. OE lug wrench doesn't fit...wtf. Find ye ol' 4-way and see that 19 is the size of her OE wrench butdoesn't fit but 21 is too loose...wtf. Actually look at the lug nuts and three of the 4 are insanely swollen. I've never seen this in my life but a quick google search says i'm so not alone and people have tried to sue before on this.

At this point i know i have to hammer something on there but there is no way a 19 is getting on these fatty nuts and 20 isn't a normal socket in sets but is going to be easier to massage on there than a 19. Head to the store and they have exactly 1 20mm 6 point. hammer that bitch on there and the lug breaks loose no problem. jam a punch through the socket to hammer out the lug and it just punches through the lug. what the fuckkkkkkkkkkk

I wail on the side of the lug while its stuck in the socket but its deep enough that its a lost cause and I dont feel like fighting this stupid poo poo anymore. I just buy 2 more 20's (which took 2 different stores) and a set of ONE PIECE nuts for that wheel. rinse and repeat. I eventually got that first one out of the socket by wailing on it enough with a sledge to get the neighbors to check on me. I dont care enough to free the other two and they were all crappy duralast sockets anyways. Told the gf she needs to think about replacing all of them and I checked my Escape and yup it has them too (not swollen though). Oh yeah I'm changing those loving things out because I can't imagine finding that poo poo out with a flat on the interstate or some poo poo.

3 god drat hours to change out a tire