Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AItA for refusing my MIL's offer of "free" childcare?

My MIL has offered to provide childcare for my son, her grandson, for one year (from approx. 5 months of age until 17 months). The stipulation is that my wife and I provide her with an apartment in which she will live for those 12 months. I've offered our home up to her, but she refused and stated that she would like an apartment in order to have her own space.

We live in a fairly particular part of Pennsylvania where the winters can be fairly severe and the summers equally so. I just don't see the necessity of paying our mortgage and a monthly rent on someone else's apartment. When adding up the cost of the apartment, the probable utilities payments, and whatever outings she decides to take my son on, it seems very likely that this arrangement would be either close to or more expensive than the cost of a legitimate and licensed childcare business, of which we have several reputable options nearby.

My wife and I disagree on the matter. She wants to provide her mother with the apartment, I would like to again offer up our home before most likely ending up saying "Thanks, but no thanks."

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Dump this dickwad.

Into the vat of metal at the end of Terminator 2.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to pick up a pizza after working all day?

"I'm taking a shower and I'm not going out again today. If you really, truly feel that after I worked 14 hours of physical labor it's not 'fair' for you to have to go get it, then I guess you wasted your money," like why is it so impossible for people to ever stand up for themselves.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You're an idiot for thinking it's a good idea to have your MiL be your kid's primary caregiver if you ever want your parenting decisions to be respected, and irredeemably loving stupid for thinking you want your MiL to move in with you. :psyduck: Even your wife knows that's a bad idea.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for telling my step-daughters that I love my son more?

quote:

I'm 37(M) with two girls and a boy and am married (to their mother). The girls are 12 and 14 respectively. My son is 6. His mother passed when he was 2. I got remarried when he was 4 - so my son is my biological son.

My son is like a minny version of me. He has blonde hair, blue eyes and is as shy and nervous as I was his age. I love him very much.

My wife, unfortunately, does not particularly like my son. I have tried talking to her about this but she denies it. I know she does not like him by the way she treats him. She refuses to pack his lunch, does not pick him up from school, even though he goes to the same school as the girls and barely talks to him.

Over the last few months, my son has been having very bad nightmares. He comes into my wife's and I's room in the middle of the night, either having wet his pants or being very sweaty. He is also very scared when he comes. When this does happen, I get up and shower him if he has wet his pants and take him to his bed. If he is still scared, I will cuddle him in his bed until he falls asleep - more often than not, I will also end up falling asleep next to him. When I wake up, my son is often already awake in his bed, telling me he loves me when I open my eyes and asking me to cuddle him for a few more minutes.

He is very affectionate to me, as I am with him.

I would prefer he come to sleep in my wife's and I's bed when he is scared, but she refuses.

When this happened again last night, my wife told me that it's inappropriate to sleep next to my son or cuddle him. My step-daughters joined in and said that when they were younger and had nightmares, I wouldn't cuddle them. I then, without thinking, told them I loved my son much more than them and that he was everything to me.

Their reaction, including my wives, was something. They were all very angry.

AITA?

EDIT: My step-daughters also mistreat my son and it drives me crazy. They have a very good relationship with their father. They do not 'lack love' or anything like that. Their father spoils them crazy and their mother showers them with hugs and kisses. My son, however only has me. I am not even particularly close to them. We barely talk at all - I often try to initiate but they either do not respond or give me one-word answers. I also often tell their mother to get back with their father, and that they don't like me at all.

EDIT#2: I felt like some of you have the wrong impression here. I understand why it might come across like that. When I first married their mother, they treated me very badly. Their father was already remarried btw, but I do understand how it might have felt for them. However, they would never budge. I never treated them badly at all. I mean, I don't think it is particularly appropriate to cuddle a 14 year old or 12 year old girl who, although I may care about them, are ultimately not my children. My wife is also often clear about who she loves more, telling the girls that she loves them more than my son because they are her everything. So I just don't understand how I can be the a solid YTA.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My MIL has offered to provide childcare for my son, her grandson, for one year (from approx. 5 months of age until 17 months). The stipulation is that my wife and I provide her with an apartment in which she will live for those 12 months. I've offered our home up to her, but she refused and stated that she would like an apartment in order to have her own space.

We live in a fairly particular part of Pennsylvania where the winters can be fairly severe and the summers equally so. I just don't see the necessity of paying our mortgage and a monthly rent on someone else's apartment. When adding up the cost of the apartment, the probable utilities payments, and whatever outings she decides to take my son on, it seems very likely that this arrangement would be either close to or more expensive than the cost of a legitimate and licensed childcare business, of which we have several reputable options nearby.

My wife and I disagree on the matter. She wants to provide her mother with the apartment, I would like to again offer up our home before most likely ending up saying "Thanks, but no thanks."

This is a tough one and it really depends on how much you like/trust your MIL. If it's almost even or slightly more expensive for cost then I'd say go with the MIL because that option just seems better overall, like it's a clear win-win to have a dedicated nanny who can be called on to babysit for the occasional date night instead of just a daycare. But this is all very contingent on how you feel about your MIL. The fact that this comes down to "I want her to live with us instead of somewhere else" I guess means that that's not a concern

Having your MIL live with you for a year would probably suck in any case btw

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pinecone Sample posted:

Why the gently caress are you in this relationship?!

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Danaru posted:

Why the gently caress are you in this relationship?!

The parents deserve each other, the kids, of course, do not.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to pick up a pizza after working all day?
The fact it's pizza makes this all the more absurd that he expected her to leave the house to get it. Pizza is literally the original delivery food, just pay the extra $5 dude.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for playing chess with my dad while my girlfriend cooked with my mom

quote:

I'm 23 and my GF is 20. We've been together for two years. I live with my parents. Me and my GF both come from "traditional" families where women cook and clean while men make (more of) the money. My girlfriend is really against this viewpoint and thinks things should be equally split in a relationship and I agree with her.

Last week, we were at my house and my mom wanted to make muffins. Me and my girlfriend went upstairs to the kitchen to help her out since my mom called us upstairs. My mom basically made it clear she wanted my GF to help so I went to sit down on the couch with my dad and watch TV while they did that. My GF was upset after and told me she didn't even want to make the muffins and they weren't for her so she felt uncomfortable but obligated to be in the kitchen with my mom while I sat on the couch.

My GF knows how to cook the basics but not the traditional recipes our families make. She's still learning. This might be important for later. Anyways, last night, I suggested to my GF that we cook a new pasta dish together. My parents weren't supposed to be at home so my GF felt more comfortable and agreed. We went and got the ingredients, but when we got home, so did they.

They knew we were about to start cooking and that's when my dad asked me to play his new chess set with him. I told him I wanted to help my GF cook. He asked again and said my GF could just take care of the food and my mom told me to just go play chess while she assists my GF with the cooking. I feel bad saying "no" to my parents over a request that's not crazy so I just played chess with my dad while they cooked. I noticed that while they were cooking, my mom would say things to my GF like "don't worry you'll be able to eyeball these measurements one day" and "next week we can teach you to make _______ and you can suprise your parents with it".

My GF was upset after that I didn't cook with her and I played chess. I don't think it's my fault because I wanted to cook with her, but I didn't want to say no to my dad. AITA?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

The fact it's pizza makes this all the more absurd that he expected her to leave the house to get it. Pizza is literally the original delivery food, just pay the extra $5 dude.

But then it wouldn't be faaaaaaaair.

Not quite the same, but my mom will often be disappointed if I get home and didn't pick up dinner on the way. The thing is, she wants fast food and literally drives by the same places I do on the way home. The fact she could easily pick up dinner herself never occurs to her.

As for the above story, what the loving gently caress. A former neighbor of mine had this issue; the stepkids never spoke to him, and his own sons were treated like poo poo by his new wife. There was a clear favoristism by the wife for her own kids. Even as the teenage babysitter it was noticable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cowslips Warren posted:

But then it wouldn't be faaaaaaaair.

That was my favorite part of that story. It wasn't even supposed to be fair in the first place. The dude pitched it to his girlfriend as him treating her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For Refusing To Go On The Last Family Vacation?

I've been confirmed to a wheelchair almost my entire life though somehow my family has never noticed.

Every year my grandfather takes the entire family on a luxury vacation in January. The problem is, these trips are always centered around outdoor activities that can't be navigated by a wheelchair. As a kid who couldn't say no, I ended up sitting in the hotel room on most of these trips while everyone else went skiing, hiking etc.

When I got old enough to ask for a vacation to an easier place to navigate like some cities I wanted to visit like NYC, Toronto, Vancouver etc. my grandfather and uncles dismissed me out of hand because we "spend so much time indoors when we're not on vacation, why go to a city to spend time inside buildings?"

So I just said gently caress it I won't go anymore. I thought maybe my absence would help my family get the picture but they've now gone on the trip for years without me, sometimes even talking to me about certain hikes they did as if I were there. Usually they remember when I asked how I climbed the cave wall in the chair.

So now grandpa says he's getting too old for these trips, so he's going to take the entire family to a far off place for yet another outdoorsy hiking trip. I told him unless we go somewhere accessible to me that I'd be sitting it out.

My grandfather called me ungrateful, and now my uncles are calling me up and jumping between guilting me skipping our "last real trip as a family" and calling me an ungrateful poo poo. I've called them all ableist assholes for how they treat me all these years and now the entire family has refused to speak to me except my parents. AITA?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

THIS TIME its important you attend!!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder how he feels about the principle of not having a girlfriend

He's 100% banking on her feeling the kids mean this is the best she can get in the dating market.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

print out the coconut oil story and wallpaper your house with it.

Serephina posted:

What are you, twelve? People born in 1990 are boomer's children; its firmly millennial territory.

boomer is a state of mind and there are a lot of 30 yr olds who have the state of mind shockingly they were raised by their lead poisoned parents into this way of thinking.

ok boomer

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 6, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pinecone Sample posted:

Dad is about to have a fatal horse accident or something. Hope junior likes cleaning.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Dude should go and run up just a truly outrageous bar and room service bill on the grandpa's tab.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITAH for confronting my boyfriend's cheating ex?

quote:

Sorry this is a long one, but I'm upset and need an opinion...

For the last year I (29F) have been dating a great guy (34M). My boyfriend is funny and smart and handsome, and he is also divorced. He has been very open with me talking about how much he loved his wife and he tried so hard but she cheated on him and broke his heart.

So last night I was out with my friends, and I notice that she's here too. I've never met her before, but boyfriend has shown me pictures and she is sort of distinct looking. So I went over there and asked if she was the ex wife of my boyfriend and she said yes. I asked her if she knew how badly she destroyed my boyfriend and how he has SO MANY trust issues and how hard I'm working and sacrificing to help rebuild this man's life with him. She looked upset, and all she said was that she didn't want to "get involved" but she hoped I understood there are two sides to every story.

I get upset and started yelling at her, because I think there are a ton of issues a couple can work through and humans make all kinds of mistakes and whatever, but I believe there are ZERO excuses for cheating and honestly it's 100% unforgivable. I told her that and again, all she said in her defense was there are two sides to every story.

I also noticed she was wearing a diamond ring on THAT finger, and I asked if she was still wearing her old ring because that is disgusting. She said no, she just recently got engaged, and I told her how terrible it looks that she's engaged again. They've only been divorced for 3 years! She wasted no time jumping into another mans bed and said I assume she was cheating on my boyfriend with this guy (my boyfriend never had any proof of her cheating, but he was 100% sure she was cheating on him with multiple guys). I asked if her new guy knew she was a disgusting cheater, and she asked her friends to leave, and they did.

One of her friends came back in and told me my boyfriend had been abusive to his ex, and that I need to cool off and not to confront someone like that when you don't have all the facts. I was shocked someone could accuse my boyfriend of something like that...but in the cold light of day today I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have done that.

On the one hand, cheating for any reason is unforgivable, and she needs karma to find her. But on the other hand...I just feel very queasy about the whole thing...I feel like I can't talk to my boyfriend about it because he gets so upset when she is mentioned because of how she ruined his life and left him with nothing (she has a low paying job and he makes a lot of money, so he had to give her a lot of money when they divorced even though it wasn't his fault she didn't have a higher paying job).

I feel like I did the right thing to defend my boyfriend. AITAH?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lucrece posted:

AITAH for confronting my boyfriend's cheating ex?

congrats you're the crazy new girlfriend

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Three years, loving WHORE!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Three years, loving WHORE!

I know, right? How DARE she have the audacity to move on even though he's done exactly the same thing!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Nobody is gonna care what your grades were at Dartmouth, only that you got the diploma
Sure, but the daughter was on academic warning and possible academic probation so she was in danger of not getting the diploma. Cs get Degrees but she wasn't managing that for the past semester and that's why she's on warning.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(25)My Husband Will Not Do Any Housework... But He Thinks (32)He’s a Feminist.

My husband can be very sweet and helpful. He respects women, thinks there’s a lot of ridiculous sexism out there, and is always encouraging me to try my best to prove myself capable (I now practice football with him and his guy friends).

But here’s where my frustration comes in. We both work, him as an electrician, me as a package handler. I start my job at 3:30am and usually get done around 9:00-9:30am. I come home, shower, do my laundry, empty and reload the dishwasher, make myself food, and either head for the gym, or a cleaning job (I always have at least one a week, but an average three when it’s not around the holidays). I then do the grocery shopping, plan dinner, and clean whatever else. I’m the only one who vacuums, sweeps, mops, takes out the trash, washes dishes, cleans the shower, toilet, sinks, countertops, dusts, cleans the cat box, and keeps the car clean.

He goes to work between 7:30-8:30 and gets home between 3:00-4:30. He works roughly 30-35 hours a week. He gets home, dumps his dirty clothes on the floor, showers, eats the dinner I make him, and either goes out to his shop to tinker, or plays video games on his computer.

We made the same amount of money for the year of 2019.

Why an I the only one cleaning?! He acts like I’m asking him to retrieve the moon if I ask him to clean, or he says, “only for an hour, I have things I want to do.” We all have things we want to do. But only one of us is prioritizing our time for what’s important.

He also chides me if I let the gas tank get below empty, if I leave the toaster on the counter, or if the cat kicked litter out of the box. The longer we’ve been married, the less he does. I feel like giving up and moving into the basement, tbh.

I feel like he’s just encouraging me to do my best so that way he can take advantage of everything I’m doing. And he’s always saying, “oh, you don’t have to do that,” when of course I do, no one else is going to feed us if I don’t cook. He’ll say things like, “you should play something on the switch” when I’m in the middle of cleaning, like it assuages his guilt or something. I always respond, “no, this needs to get done or it never will.”

But I digress; how do I help him understand that he needs to take on some of the physical load, and the mental load?

Tl;dr my husband is lazy and thinks he has a right to be because he’s an electrician, and that’s I don’t need to be cleaning, except for the fact it won’t get done otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Sure, but the daughter was on academic warning and possible academic probation so she was in danger of not getting the diploma. Cs get Degrees but she wasn't managing that for the past semester and that's why she's on warning.

Agreed, just the goal need not be "get her to be an A student" and instead just get her to be passing

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(25)My Husband Will Not Do Any Housework... But He Thinks (32)He’s a Feminist.

My husband can be very sweet and helpful. He respects women, thinks there’s a lot of ridiculous sexism out there, and is always encouraging me to try my best to prove myself capable (I now practice football with him and his guy friends).

But here’s where my frustration comes in. We both work, him as an electrician, me as a package handler. I start my job at 3:30am and usually get done around 9:00-9:30am. I come home, shower, do my laundry, empty and reload the dishwasher, make myself food, and either head for the gym, or a cleaning job (I always have at least one a week, but an average three when it’s not around the holidays). I then do the grocery shopping, plan dinner, and clean whatever else. I’m the only one who vacuums, sweeps, mops, takes out the trash, washes dishes, cleans the shower, toilet, sinks, countertops, dusts, cleans the cat box, and keeps the car clean.

He goes to work between 7:30-8:30 and gets home between 3:00-4:30. He works roughly 30-35 hours a week. He gets home, dumps his dirty clothes on the floor, showers, eats the dinner I make him, and either goes out to his shop to tinker, or plays video games on his computer.

We made the same amount of money for the year of 2019.

Why an I the only one cleaning?! He acts like I’m asking him to retrieve the moon if I ask him to clean, or he says, “only for an hour, I have things I want to do.” We all have things we want to do. But only one of us is prioritizing our time for what’s important.

He also chides me if I let the gas tank get below empty, if I leave the toaster on the counter, or if the cat kicked litter out of the box. The longer we’ve been married, the less he does. I feel like giving up and moving into the basement, tbh.

I feel like he’s just encouraging me to do my best so that way he can take advantage of everything I’m doing. And he’s always saying, “oh, you don’t have to do that,” when of course I do, no one else is going to feed us if I don’t cook. He’ll say things like, “you should play something on the switch” when I’m in the middle of cleaning, like it assuages his guilt or something. I always respond, “no, this needs to get done or it never will.”

But I digress; how do I help him understand that he needs to take on some of the physical load, and the mental load?

Tl;dr my husband is lazy and thinks he has a right to be because he’s an electrician, and that’s I don’t need to be cleaning, except for the fact it won’t get done otherwise.

Um, It’s called being a masculinist. :crossarms:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Oh look, another bang maid with no communication skills.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Part of being a male feminist is admitting that women are superior at everything and allowing them to exercise that superiority by doing all my chores, tyvm, wanna play some mario??

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA If I posted a video montage online of my neighbor throwing things in my yard?

My mom and I bought a duplex for me to manage and live in during my years in college. Bought the house in 2018, I moved in the summer of 2019. We installed a ring video security system, along with a front yard doorbell and backyard video floodlights.

When I moved in, there were a ton of branches and limbs by my neighbors fence. That was odd since we only had one medium-sized tree, nearly ten feet from the fence.

Later that summer, the backyard ring camera caught the neighbor throwing branches over. We realized that that is where the huge pile came from.

Halloween came around and my roommate and I decided to throw a party on Friday, November 1st. We tried to talk to Ms. Stick thrower, but they were not home during our three attempts. We left a note explaining it, along with our names and numbers.

The party was 30+ people coming and going, along with music and a beerpong table in the backyard. Cops were (rightfully) called at 11:45PM; we shut it down.

The 4th, I was in class and got a front doorbell notification. It was Ms. Stick thrower pulling up my decorative styrofoam tombstones and throwing them behind my bushes. When I got home I saw that one was broken.

My roommate and I decided to call the non-emergency line about this, because obviously she had no respect for us, and this is the south so anyone could have a gun.

A cop came out, we showed her everything, and we went to talk to the neighbor. Her fiancee opened the door, claimed she was not home despite her car being there.

Anyways, time went on and I noticed that she came into our backyard via a gate, which was deep in my backyard. This freaked me out, as video showed her smoking and wandering around my backyard. I put a carabiner on the gate to keep her out.

End of November, I come home and see these huge limbs flying over the fence. I get out, confront her, we argue, and she claims that she owns two feet of my backyard. She ends the conversation with "Do you want to make these next four years a living hell?"

Called the non-emergency number, and once again she hid from the cops. I found out that she is a professor at my university.

I emailed the dean of students, told him everything and provided proof. Their resources were useless, and I am beyond fed up. Cops say they can't do anything, despite video evidence and four no trespassing signs. I want her to stop.

We got a survey done, and she does NOT own two feet into my backyard.

I have edited together a video montage of her throwing limbs, branches, sticks, rocks, and cigarettes together, along with her trespassing in my backyard.

WIBTA if I posted this video online with the caption "University Professor's Actions"?

Edit: I have spoken to my mom and we just sent an email, entailing all the details plus video, to her Dean. Also, I posted to legal advice.

Edit: Wow, okay, really did not expect this to get so much traction. I appreciate everyone's advice, and I plan on making many calls tomorrow. The Dean's office reopens tomorrow as well, so I might hear back from them then. Not sure whats going on with my legal post, I'll try to fix it. There is also NO TREES/BRANCHES HANGING OVER THE FENCE. She is throwing branches from her yard into mine. In the beginning, I threw the branches back over, but they would magically appear with even more. So I gave up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why the gently caress does this person think the dean would care? "Hi, this employee is doing something even cops don't give a poo poo about in their own home, please help"
Also this line made me laugh

quote:

Cops were (rightfully) called at 11:45PM; we shut it down.
The party isn't mentioned again so I wonder why OP considered it relevant.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think OP is just trying to acknowledge that they're not a perfect completely silent neighbor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dudeness posted:

Part of being a male feminist is admitting that women are superior at everything and allowing them to exercise that superiority by doing all my chores, tyvm, wanna play some mario??

'Male feminist' has been a red flag for a while now, and that's not even nearly the worst reason why.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Marzzle posted:

polyamory desperately yearns for acknowledgement on par with actual LGBT identities so her friend is prob just gonna go around describing her as a bigot. no way to deal with poly folks unless you too believe polyamory is the big IQ trick to ethically loving multiple partners that society just doesn't want you to know

Friend isn't even getting to gently caress around herself, she's just supporting a guy who does and getting to feel she's righteous and persecuted and noble because it's her orientation maaan she's not afraid of sharing love like those jealous monogamists.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling a drunk English girl "I'm Scottish first and don't like being called British"?

I was speaking to an English girl at a bar, I asked how her night was going and she was saying how it was weird here. She explained that it is very different in England like how people here striking up conversations while waiting for public transport, strangers getting you drinks and including you in jokes in the bar and how many people are very upfront here. She was surprised because she was supposedly told nothing but negative stuff about Scotland. I laughed and just said that is what it's like here and life is full of surprises. The girl then told me that she was scared to come to Scotland because we supposedly attack English people. Or so she says.

I coughed up my drink a bit because I started laughing again. I explained that it was nonsense because I have never met or heard of anyone beating someone for being English, if it has happened those people are just assholes. Few and far between and don't speak for the majority. Even pointing out by her logic, I should feel the same way about England because I've heard they hate the Scottish (also personal interactions I've had, but that doesn't cloud my judgement). She then laughed saying how England is far better and how she hated this country. She kept listing all the reasons she thought England was better and how Scotland was nothing without them.

At this point I began regretting the conversation because she went from a normal chat to a drunken rant (clearly couldn't handle her drink). Then she hit out with "I'm proud to be British! I'm proud to be English! Aren't you proud?". I picked up my drink and said "No, I'm Scottish first and don't like referring to myself as British but you have a good night" because a lot of what she was actually pretty offensive and I wanted to leave the conversation.

I got up and went back to my friends and she came over calling me a scumbag and a bitch for dismissing that I'm British. I just prefer to be called Scottish, is that really that bad?

Edit: I was in my regular pub and talk to everyone, I saw her sitting alone so I went up to see how she was doing.

Edit 2: It was very clear that she had no clue about Scotland and pretty much went off stereotypes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Oh Scotland, you're far too innocent for this world.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chemtrail huffer posted:

My [21F] boyfriend's [23M] relationship with his teddybear is making me uncomfortable

Jian Ghomeshi had the same teddy-bear thing going on when he beat the poo poo out of his girlfriends... So yeah, RUN.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Alrighty, I'm only reposting the teddy story, because she added pics now.

UPDATE on the teddy bear story
EDIT : Everyone is saying the post is deleted and I have no idea why, it wasn't deleted before. The original post is available in the comments it's quite easy to find. Thank you to you all for your support, I realised there was a confusion :no I'm not in his flat! I'm home and safe, tonight ill sleep at a friend so she and I can talk about it and I'm never going back with him, he sent me terrible messages all night which convinced me to never get back with him. Thank you again for helping me and have a nice day x (pictures of Teddy : (yes Teddy is an hippo, please do not share those pictures to anyone else for my own safety) https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2020/02/1/1578302323-img-20200105-221821.jpg https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2020/02/1/1578302320-received-2534676143521378.jpeg https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2020/02/1/1578302319-img-20200105-221613.jpg)

aPrevious post : https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/ejyfv1/my_21f_boyfriends_23m_relationship_with_his/

First of all I'd like to say thank you to you all, I did not expect to get that many comments. I'm safe for those who were worried. You all really scared me though. I had many questions that were asked so I'm quickly going to reply to the ones I saw the most often :

Why are you with this guy ? Are you insecure ? Why are you standards so low ? (etc..) I obviously didn't write down his nicest description. Apart from this weird teddy bear fetish, he was a completly normal guy, with friends, going to parties, studying and so on... He is quite the "popular guy" in fact even though I don't care about this kind of thing. He took me on dates and made me feel special. I really thought he was a keeper. At the beginning him being a little childish didn't bother me. I myself have stuffed pets and even though they're in the cupboard I used to love them as a kid. That's when he started sexualising his bear and involving me in it that I freaked out. The problem is, it's so hard to tell when he's joking or not. He constantly makes jokes. That's why I never could tell whether I was overreacting or not (is he just joking or does he mean what he says ?). However the one thing I really didn't see coming and you guys helped me realise it, is his lack of respect towards me and my boundaries. Sometimes it's easier to see from an extern point of view. This whole time I was too focused wondering whether it was normal or not for me to feel uncomfortable, and I didn't realise that not once did he help me feel more comfortable despite me telling him how I felt. Thank you a lot because that's the one thing you all really helped me for, I would have probably taken more time to realise it on my own even though it now looks obvious.

About the guy who said he knew him (abortionlasagna) : (Un)fortunately it wasn't him. Thank you so much for help though.

Run away, he's going to kill you, he's a psychopath etc.. Although his behaviour is extremly weird I don't see him hurting anyone. But obviously it's easier for me to tell since you all had to base your opinion on what I said. He doesn't match the pyschopath personnality at all. I'm not allowed to visit him because he lives in a private home (a person hosts him in one of their bedroom) and this person doesn't allow any visit. It is weirdly strict yes, but it's believable and I've seen his sister once who confirmed that she couldn't visit him herself. One thing is sure though, although he may not hurt anyone, he seems to have serious problems and I'm not sure I can handle it.

It's fake, it looks like the movie TED : I know it all looks surreal but it is true. I have multiple pictures of Teddy if some of you are interested. I know a lot about Teddy's past because my bf won't shut up about him that's why I knew I know the movie TED but I have never seen it, and my bf actually suggested that we could watch it like a month ago.

Burn Teddy, make him disappear etc... Haha thank you I did think about it a lot. I often hide him when he brings him in my flat so I know exactly where he is and so my bf doesn't think about him (he always ends up looking for him though... but still it gives me a break)

What did you do in the end ? I was meant to see him today so I picked him up and we drove to my flat. Of course Teddy was there and when he came in the car, my bf had him give me kisses and stuff. I said stop please in a cold way and he stopped. I said we needed to talk and he listened because I started crying. I thought it would be hard for me to start talking but since I was so stressed with all your comments I just broke down and cried. I told him how I needed him to stop with Teddy, that he needed to stop being so close and dependant on him, that Teddy shouldn't come to my flat anymore... At first he was silent but then he said he didn't understand why I was so uncomfortable with it, that he was purely joking, that he knew Teddy wasn't real and that it was hurting him to see that I thought he had a problem. I was extremely disappointed of his reaction and just told him I needed a break. I drove him back to his flat and that's where I am now.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Power Khan posted:

please do not share those pictures to anyone else for my own safety

i know it seems trivial, but you should honor this request

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i know it seems trivial, but you should honor this request

yes please take those pictures down. don't be a prick.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Please only share these pics with the site that gets 430 million users a month, and not the dead gay forum with a couple dozen middle aged dudes. Respect the privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Please only share these pics with the site that gets 430 million users a month, and not the dead gay forum with a couple dozen middle aged dudes. Respect the privacy.

although the OP is very careless, i think it is best to respect her (poorly considered, idiot) wishes if she feels she could be put at risk.

also, i'm having a hard time imagining there's someone ITT who was on the boyfriend's side until seeing the photos and deciding the stuffed animal is unfuckable.