Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah ok I vote yeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

yeah, yeet is lit

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lumpen posted:

Maybe in ~March. I am gearing up to narrate a new audiobook (the sixth volume of the gay detective series I've narrated and ran a game about) which will keep me too busy until then.

Any thoughts about ever doing lumpenlist mafia 2?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpen posted:

Maybe in ~March. I am gearing up to narrate a new audiobook (the sixth volume of the gay detective series I've narrated and ran a game about) which will keep me too busy until then.

excuse me??? sorry i just need to boot up my audible app

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lumpen posted:

Run slack mafia

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pander posted:

Any thoughts about ever doing lumpenlist mafia 2?

Another flawless scum victory!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you know what they say, you are what yeet

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Is this a confession

woah careful there, gently caress my rear end got banned for less

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
FWIW, yeet is most certainly worse because then the whole issue becomes laughable. (I know we are joking, yadda yadda)

Using special word choice to avoid hurt feelings over serious subject matter need not become so ironically silly that it undermines the reasons for special word choice.

My heart has never skipped a beat because some said lynch in an online internet game.

That said, I'm also a monstrous, nihilistic goop gob and I understand most people aren't as thoroughly jaded as myself....

BUT if you're going to make it a thing, then don't be silly about it, but really don't let it be a thing. It's more awkward than anything and overly joking about it comes across as insincere .

At the end of the day everyone is a gross, meaty thing. Just be cool. Don't do IRL murdercrimes. Love your fellow human beings, trapped against their wills, inside meatsuits just like you.

Amen.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2020

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The game is a lawless bunch with an unknown bad that needs removed, and we have one tool to remove someone collectively each day. Lynching is exactly what the game requires.

That said, execute seems like a good replacement if you were to choose something. Cuddle, hug, lunch, and others make the most important decision of the game each day seem like a joke.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

wasn’t there a time when people suggested merk as a replacement to lynch as well

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dick Bastardly posted:

i'm worried that SA mafia is dead :(

Podima posted:

lol my dude, c'mon. there are plenty of games, including a 42-person soldiers game starting in two days. It's FINE.

And said soldiers game could maybe use one more replacement soon! You in, DB?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Actually, scratch the "maybe". Definitely need one more replacement pronto!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

Actually, scratch the "maybe". Definitely need one more replacement pronto!

If DB doesn't want it, I'll take it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

wasn’t there a time when people suggested merk as a replacement to lynch as well

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=merked

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

If DB doesn't want it, I'll take it.

First come, first served!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

First come, first served!

Then count me in.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
bring ruin upon your enemies with my blessing, AA

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Is using the disparaging term "scum" to refer to a "differently-aligned individual belonging to the informed minority", a slur?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpen posted:

Is using the disparaging term "scum" to refer to a "differently-aligned individual belonging to the informed minority", a slur?

is this a serious question?

responding to the joke, yes any pejorative against a minority group is a slur.

responding seriously, no of course its not

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I mean obv not but it’s little effort to just call them “Italian Americans” instead

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Lumpen posted:

I hope you get toenail infections

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Hmmm maybe I should run vine mafia and use yeet as the replacement word for it.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
The social deduction game this community is based on, commonly know by the flavor "Mafia" which perpetuates harmful stereotypes about Italians, or "Werewolf" which is disparaging of of furries, is inherently problematic, far beyond the use of the terms "lynch", which is the accurate term for "an extrajudicial killing by a group" that this game revolves around.

You may change the word used to describe the act, but the game itself is a gamification of bigotry. It is a game about mutually genocidal conflict between a minority group and an intolerant majority.

Maybe this game is dying here because this forum's community has progressed to the point of recognizing that bigotry is not cool for irony or jokes, and also not cool in the form of a "fun party game".

Just changing one word is not enough. Are there ways we can reframe the game fiction and mechanics to alleviate the bigotry, or would it be better to lobby the mods to have the game banned entirely?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lumpen is a serial-murder apologist

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm ok with killing a minority group if they are trying to kill me, Lumpen.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Lumpen posted:

The social deduction game this community is based on, commonly know by the flavor "Mafia" which perpetuates harmful stereotypes about Italians, or "Werewolf" which is disparaging of of furries, is inherently problematic, far beyond the use of the terms "lynch", which is the accurate term for "an extrajudicial killing by a group" that this game revolves around.

You may change the word used to describe the act, but the game itself is a gamification of bigotry. It is a game about mutually genocidal conflict between a minority group and an intolerant majority.

Maybe this game is dying here because this forum's community has progressed to the point of recognizing that bigotry is not cool for irony or jokes, and also not cool in the form of a "fun party game".

Just changing one word is not enough. Are there ways we can reframe the game fiction and mechanics to alleviate the bigotry, or would it be better to lobby the mods to have the game banned entirely?

this post sucks more than the last one

please post better

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lumpen is the living embodiment of the Sartre essay about not engaging with bad faith actors, don't bite that bait.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
why are you doing this..... this is all i have left

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Max posted:

Lumpen is the living embodiment of the Sartre essay about not engaging with bad faith actors, don't bite that bait.

oh, ok nevermid :sweatdrop:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

Lmao

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm ok engaging with arguments regardless of the faith in which they are made. It's how you become a better mafia player.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
who

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

lumpen is a serial-murder apologist

free ross

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love how at the mere thing of a guy being like "Hey I noticed that some people don't say lynch, is this because they don't like it? Is it a rule" which really should just be answered in 1-3 posts saying "It's not a rule, people use whatever parlance they're comfortable with, but there's been a shift away from lynch because people have credibly made the case that it's not a great look" has turned into a bunch of people interpreting posting about this as a debate and are expertly trying to give their opinion in a "not a debate" way

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GulagDolls posted:

I'm ok engaging with arguments regardless of the faith in which they are made. It's how you become a better mafia player.

I bet you'll engage with this post, and in doing so damning yourself to hell.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CCKeane posted:

I bet you'll engage with this post, and in doing so damning yourself to hell.

I won't.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jump King posted:

I love how at the mere thing of a guy being like "Hey I noticed that some people don't say lynch, is this because they don't like it? Is it a rule" which really should just be answered in 1-3 posts saying "It's not a rule, people use whatever parlance they're comfortable with, but there's been a shift away from lynch because people have credibly made the case that it's not a great look" has turned into a bunch of people interpreting posting about this as a debate and are expertly trying to give their opinion in a "not a debate" way

What do you use?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Jump King posted:

is this an mmmmm alt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

is this an mmmmm alt?

It's actually my main account

Pinterest Mom posted:

What do you use?

I do not play mafia.