Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/status/1213944364575031296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/shafei_d/status/1213609088485072896

What's her forums name?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1213996585882914818?s=20
Oh yeah, that'll show 'em. :rolleyes:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sanctions on emojis, they never thought I'd do, well I did it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cool that the US is going all mask off an isn't even trying to pretend anymore that they see Iraq as nothing but a puppet state.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

"but we earned it"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is Blowing up infrastructure and killing 1 million people sanctions?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Edit: gently caress it, not worth it

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 6, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

my woman Shafi D

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Can someone explain to a big dumb dumb how assassinating a general isn't an act of war, and if it even matters with regards to what response from Iran it would take for the US to successfully invoke article 5.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mercrom posted:

Can someone explain to a big dumb dumb how assassinating a general isn't an act of war, and if it even matters with regards to what response from Iran it would take for the US to successfully invoke article 5.

Someone with far more actual knowledge on this than me can chime in, but from my understand basically because the US currently treats this sort of thing like Calvinball, which is why the US just doesn't declare war any more.

Here's an article by a law person on the international law aspects of it:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/legality-targeted-killing-program-under-international-law

oh and the US has a veto on the UN is sort of a moot point if legally it was or not by UN standards.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

So when does the 3 days of mourning end? When it hits Tuesday there, right? So like 12 hours from now? I'm too dumb and need it spelled out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Funion posted:

So when does the 3 days of mourning end? When it hits Tuesday there, right? So like 12 hours from now? I'm too dumb and need it spelled out.

Its not like once the 3 day mourning period is over then there's an automatic response. I mean that could happen, but they might also bide their time possibly until the US let's it's guard down.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Its not like once the 3 day mourning period is over then there's an automatic response. I mean that could happen, but they might also bide their time possibly until the US let's it's guard down.
very cool, except actually I just wanted an answer

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Charliegrs posted:

Around 3AM tonight local time

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Thump! posted:

Around 3AM tonight local time
Thanks! Now, anyone here think there will be an automatic response when the mourning ends? I think it's highly probable

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why is Iran’s time offset by 30 minutes?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
China's coming down firmly on the side of Iran:

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1175841.shtml

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Afghanistan and India are, too. It’s just a thing.

Edit: oh and Syria has their own daylight savings time

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tehran is basically on the boundary between two time zones, with the rest of the country fairly evenly split between the two, so it's easier to run the whole country on the average of the two zones. India's time zone works the same way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wikipedia says it's because Iranian Standard Time is defined by the 52.5 degrees east meridian, the same meridian which defines the Iranian calendar and is the official meridian of Iran.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mercrom posted:

Well you see they've decided to call a uniformed member of another country's armed services a terrorist because he's a Muslim and sorta brownish and this is convenient. And they've been bombing terrorists, including US citizens, with no oversight in dozens of countries for over a decade now and nobody ever really gave a gently caress. So all they've really done is push that boundary just a little bit more.

The US now reserves the right to unilaterally bomb anyone they deem a terrorist as long as they aren't in a western allied nation or are a member of government. And we'll see how long those caveats last. It's a countdown until the US just kills whomever they want whenever they want because they spend more money on poo poo that kills people than anyone else so what the gently caress you gonna do?

Incidentally in their mind this also makes them the most ethical military in the history of the world. Funny how that works.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Well you see they've decided to call a uniformed member of another country's armed services a terrorist because he's a Muslim and sorta brownish and this is convenient. And they've been bombing terrorists, including US citizens, with no oversight in dozens of countries for over a decade now and nobody ever really gave a gently caress. So all they've really done is push that boundary just a little bit more.

The US now reserves the right to unilaterally bomb anyone they deem a terrorist as long as they aren't in a western allied nation or are a member of government. And we'll see how long those caveats last. It's a countdown until the US just kills whomever they want whenever they want because they spend more money on poo poo that kills people than anyone else so what the gently caress you gonna do?

One of the guys killed in the Soleimani strike was literally a cabinet minister in Iraq's American-backed government.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

The US now reserves the right to unilaterally bomb anyone they deem a terrorist as long as they aren't in a western allied nation or are a member of government.

I have some bad news

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

One of the guys killed in the Soleimani strike was literally a cabinet minister in Iraq's American-backed government.

Wait, who was this?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

TheRat posted:

I have some bad news

Oh right well there we go. If you're in a western US-allied nation they probably won't have the cheek to bomb you yet. But then again they can just strongarm those to pick you up or kick you out instead.

And maybe there's a difference between being a member of a US puppet regime (or at least a regime the US perceives as such) and a member of government of a more sovereign nation. They probably won't bomb you in China or Russia either because of the whole nuclear armed member of the UN security council thing, but then again Pakistan is nuclear armed and they'll totally bomb you there so who knows really?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Orange Devil posted:

sorta brownish

This seems to be emerging as a crucial factor

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Brownish Sean Connery.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

This seems to be emerging as a crucial factor

Eh, if you're a white American who converts and joins some (usually legitimately terrible) organisation the US doesn't like it's not like they won't bomb you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

Well you see they've decided to call a uniformed member of another country's armed services..

...I mean technically correct, but also I'd first label him a high ranking member of another countries government first. Lines are a bit blurred when you talk about people who are both an active member of an armed service and also senior advice/minister whatever, in a government.

Oh and for those interested, a short video on the way timezone can be completely crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Wait, who was this?

I'm assuming it's a reference to Muhandis? He wasn't a cabinet minister but was legally an Iraqi government official as the Hashd have been integrated (on paper and legally at least) into the Iraqi security forces for several years now - which is why bombing the militias was considered dodgy in the first place as their legal status makes me an arm of the state.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mercrom posted:

Article 5 can only be invoked after an attack on a member's territory on Northern America or Europe, as well as on islands in the Mediterranean or the Atlantic north of the Tropic of Cancer.

So for example, if North Korea were to nuke Hawaii, then article 5 couldn't be invoked; but if they nuke Alaska, it can.

Article 5 also means that the allied countries will do everything they can to restore stability in the "North Atlantic" region. But at the point we're in, the fastest and simplest way to restore stability would probably be to attack the USA so as to provoke a regime change there.

Angry Salami posted:

Tehran is basically on the boundary between two time zones, with the rest of the country fairly evenly split between the two, so it's easier to run the whole country on the average of the two zones. India's time zone works the same way.

Meanwhile, Benelux, France and Spain are on Poland's time zone (Ukraine's time zone during the summer).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercrom posted:

The US commits acts of war all the time. Blockades, no-fly zones, assassinations, drone bombing campaigns...they all count as acts of war when they're done without the consent of the target government.

They're not really concerned about it because the primary downside of committing acts of war is that the victim might declare war on you, and there's a very short list of countries willing to even threaten war against the US. There are other risks and downsides, like reduced backing from allies and international orgs if it becomes a war, but they're not things the US is particularly concerned about.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Article 5 can only be invoked after an attack on a member's territory on Northern America or Europe, as well as on islands in the Mediterranean or the Atlantic north of the Tropic of Cancer.

A treaty developed during a saner time so the UK/France couldn't just invoke it every time something happened in one of their colonies.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Eh, if you're a white American who converts and joins some (usually legitimately terrible) organisation the US doesn't like it's not like they won't bomb you.

I kind of think you stop being White when you become Muslim. Sort of the same reasoning behind why Middle Easterners and North Africans aren't thought of as white but Southern Europeans and such are. "White" is a very stupid and arbitrary racial category, even among its peers.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A treaty developed during a saner time so the UK/France couldn't just invoke it every time something happened in one of their colonies.

Does Hawaii really not count since its a part of the sovereign and not just a territory?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Does Hawaii really not count since its a part of the sovereign and not just a territory?

I'm assuming SEATO was the equivalent treaty meant to cover it with other Pacific nations but as far as I've read it dissolved in the 70s because it was so pointless most members forgot it existed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randarkman posted:

I kind of think you stop being White when you become Muslim. Sort of the same reasoning behind why Middle Easterners and North Africans aren't thought of as white but Southern Europeans and such are. "White" is a very stupid and arbitrary racial category, even among its peers.

There was a time when the Irish weren't consider 'white'. Can't have racism without arbitrary racial categories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

So for example, if North Korea were to nuke Hawaii, then article 5 couldn't be invoked; but if they nuke Alaska, it can.

Thanks. This information is hard to find for some reason. Does that technically mean that if Norway invades Sweden and Sweden strikes back at one of their air bases the rest of NATO has to join the invasion?