Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bloodborne's on my list of games to get and play eventually, but I'll probably go for DS3 first, since hiding behind a shield is my happy place.

Y'know, after I've played enough of these games I already have, and hopefully a sale will hit or something so I can still get the games for less than :20bux:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bloodborne’s weapon is the giant bony fingerblaster

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Megasabin posted:

Is Sony announcing the PS5 tomorrow at CES?

Also for God of War. I've seen people mentioning turning armor sets into enchantments. Is that something I can do in my first playthrough or is that a new game + thing. I almost never play NG+ modes, so if it's exclusive to that, is there anything I should do with the non-rare armor sets I find other than sell them?

You can only do it to Epic (Red) tier armor, which I believe is only available during NG+

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ces is not for games unless sony thinks its hurting in consumer electronics and needs to distract people

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frog Act posted:

gently caress. I haven’t saved in awhile so maybe I’ll just blow through Kiwami quick if I’ve already lost out in Majima everywhere. I hope not

I’ll check there, I’ve only been able to find the three around senkaichi street and haven’t been able to examine them

I can't remember street names very well but I think it's down Nakamichi street? It's the one with the Don Quixote and Cafe Alps and the Sega arcade with the Mesuking sidequest. It's a giant loving traffic cone sitting behind a car, it's either as tall as Kiryu or nearly as tall, you can't miss it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was expecting Jedi Fallen Order to be crap after so many people seemed to not like it, but I like it so far. Like, quite a lot actually.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

veni veni veni posted:

I was expecting Jedi Fallen Order to be crap after so many people seemed to not like it, but I like it so far. Like, quite a lot actually.

It's not bad it just isn't as good as any of the games that it draws from. Kind of like Darksiders.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ShakeZula posted:

I think you need to have PS Plus, because when I first started it asked if I wanted to play online or offline, and when I picked online it prompted me to subscribe. I did get the summoning bell though, so who knows, maybe I'll give it a try.
There are NPC's you can summon even offline, so you're not completely screwed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It's really good imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was pretty disappointed by it and it still beat out like 6-7 games and made it onto my end of year best of list. The combat needs another pass and the collectibles should do something, anything at all, instead of be purely cosmetic but it’s fine and a fun Star Wars romp.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nier Automata Progress Report: Do Robots Livejournal of Electric Admirees

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

Fallen Order is perfectly adequate, and once you finish it you'll never want to play it ever again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It's not bad it just isn't as good as any of the games that it draws from. Kind of like Darksiders.

It certainly has a better story than Darksiders even if it isn't as good mechanically as a FROM game. Plus Darksiders has the worst keymapping of any FROM like.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 6, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

R1 for dodge! Unrebindable! What the hell were they thinking?!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

R1 for dodge! Unrebindable! What the hell were they thinking?!

:whitewater:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/9aiTXXifbwE

Pat from Polygon made a very good Dark Souls video.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When I was a kid I always wondered why the font in every Japanese game was Times New Roman or whatever it was, it was always the same one, the serif font with the big print and spaces just a little larger than normal. I remember it in every resident evil game, rpgs, fighting games even? I can't remember if the time crisis games used it or a slight variation. " W I L D D O G "

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did he just call Sekiro a Souls game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Resident Evil prominently featured Courier font, probably to tie it all in with saving your game on a typewriter. It's distinct from Times New Roman though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm really excited to try the controller attachment back pedals for Duty. Don't see them up on any retailer site despite it coming out end of this month.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Resident Evil prominently featured Courier font, probably to tie it all in with saving your game on a typewriter. It's distinct from Times New Roman though.

Yep yep you're right I'm thinking courier not tnr, and that does make sense with the typewriter motif, I'd forgotten about those frigging ink ribbons. I could have sworn it was used in a bunch of other games, I might have recognized it because of RE specifically. Maybe it's the Capcom font of choice in general? I'm not sure why this started bugging me at 6am ten years after playing any capcom game for the last time

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Housh posted:

I'm really excited to try the controller attachment back pedals for Duty. Don't see them up on any retailer site despite it coming out end of this month.

I want to get two of them for my controllers and same, there's nothing about them yet.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ShakeZula posted:

Well I've taken a few cracks at Father Gascoigne and had limited success. Think I'll do a little blood echo farming and level up before I try again.

Use the beckoning bell and get some help. Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made in my opinion and there's no shame in getting help if you're stuck. People will have differing opinions on how the fun is attained (e.g. finally overcoming the more difficult challenges) but my philosophy is life's too short to keep butting your head against a wall in a video game and it's worth experiencing so give the boss some tries and if you can't handle it get some help. One guy might show up or maybe two and then you can go on and continue to enjoy the game. Plus you'll get the satisfaction of getting to dunk on a boss that was giving you grief.

On a slightly-related note, someone released an "easy mode" mod for the PC version of Sekiro and the response has been overwhelmingly positive and a lot of people who wrote the game off are loving it now. It's a shame it's not possible for consoles because I filed the game into the "Don't buy" pile when I saw it wouldn't have online co-op like the Souls games.

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Vicar Amelia is pwning me pretty good. I'm trying to roll around her to stay behind but she keeps clipping me :/ Been trying to ring my beckoning bell for help but no responses for a while if anyone on and wants to help (read: beat her for me).

Sometimes you need to give it ten or fifteen minutes. Someone will always come to help, and if you have the DLC you can get AI hunters helping you as well in some spots, both in the main game and the chalice dungeons. I remember one fun run in a chalice dungeon with three AI hunters helping me and it was hilarious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Being able to instantly know a game was Japanese purely by font choices has been sadly dying this era

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lesser-gamer Mode.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PS store sure is bad about notifying me that there are demos. There was apparently a demo of Yakuza 7 on the Japanese store since November and I didn't notice before now. I'm playing it now and yeah...it's a full blown turn based fantasy RPG except that I have a barbed wire wrapped baseball bat instead of a sword.

Game is amazing and I was mostly able to understand the gist of what was going on with my limited Japanese.

So the game literally starts off with everyone having to go to what's basically a temp agency in order to find work. These "jobs" you get are your character classes and influence your abilities in combat, which are generally thematically appropriate. One of your characters is "homeless" and can use abilities like summoning pigeons to attack enemies and sleeping on a cardboard bed for a turn to recover HP.

Also whenever a new party member joins you, an extremely-8-bit-influenced-by-Dragon-Quest jingle plays to reflect the new party member event.

This is going to be fantastic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Judgement is pretty great so far. Despite the fact that it's in the same setting, you can really tell it's a different team working on it. The way they frame the cutscenes gives it much more of a subdued, noir vibe than the over-the-top machismo of the Yakuza series. Which is not to say there isn't a ton of machismo still, there is.

They really added a lot to the combat as well. I haven't played Yak 6 so I don't know how much of this is drawn from that, but it feels like there are a lot more options and the ones that are there are more interesting.

Looking forward to playing more. I already know the major beats of the story since Alex Navarro talking about the game during GOTY stuff is what made me finally decide to pick it up, but the individual scenes are so fun and engrossing that it hasn't bothered me at all to know some of the twists.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is the Sekiro “easy mode” just no damage God-Mode? I feel like if it effects enemy behavior at all then you’re really losing out on the high paced frenetic action of the game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I want to get two of them for my controllers and same, there's nothing about them yet.
I'm gonna buy just one incase they release a "sony pro DS4" or the DS5 comes out earlier than PS5 launch and works on current systems.

Also curious if it effects the DS4 battery much specially if you plug in a headset.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is the Sekiro “easy mode” just no damage God-Mode? I feel like if it effects enemy behavior at all then you’re really losing out on the high paced frenetic action of the game.

Polygon says it lets you adjust a few variables, one being game speed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Serif fonts are ugly for gaming because they take longer to read and don't look clean in longer paragraphs. They also come off as bland to most western audiences that have defaulted to Times New Roman for years. Just bad for conveying a lot of information very quickly -- don't use serif fonts in your resumes either, kids!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

It's one of those games I really liked and can't wait for a sequel where they work out all the kinks, I give most of the problems with it a pass since it's their first time trying a 3rd person action game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Serif fonts are ugly for gaming because they take longer to read and don't look clean in longer paragraphs. They also come off as bland to most western audiences that have defaulted to Times New Roman for years. Just bad for conveying a lot of information very quickly -- don't use serif fonts in your resumes either, kids!

Serif fonts are also bad for dyslexics and people with certain vision difficulties.

(Ironically one of the best fonts for these people is...Comic Sans.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Housh posted:

I'm gonna buy just one incase they release a "sony pro DS4" or the DS5 comes out earlier than PS5 launch and works on current systems.

Also curious if it effects the DS4 battery much specially if you plug in a headset.

I play on computer desk and I got one of these magnetic charging cables so playing wired/wireless is now safer than ever since I'm not juggling with the lovely micro usb port so battery life isn't important for me if the paddles draw a bit more.

Seriously everyone should get magnetic cables with the dongle to never, ever worry about the port.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m almost done with fallen order and while it’s been fun enough, I guess, half the time it felt like they wanted to make a platformer or a sonic game and got distracted

Also the level design is all nonsense unless the empire was specifically building bases, and the zeffo tombs, for cal to wall run and vine climb in cus otherwise they’re just absurd

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Apparently it buffs things which makes the combat a lot faster, with your attacks being more powerful and posture regenerating quickly. The changes listed are:

- It does not die by Terror.
- Strong attack power, high defense strength, and stamina.
- High Drop item Rate.
- Weapon buff time increase.
- Infinite Spirit Emblem.
- Prevents Damage from falling.
- Infinite Time of Puppeteer Ninjustsu

It seems you still die and need to learn to parry etc. but it makes fights faster and also more forgiving.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Guillermus posted:

Seriously everyone should get magnetic cables with the dongle to never, ever worry about the port.
Link please.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently it buffs things which makes the combat a lot faster, with your attacks being more powerful and posture regenerating quickly. The changes listed are:

- It does not die by Terror.
- Strong attack power, high defense strength, and stamina.
- High Drop item Rate.
- Weapon buff time increase.
- Infinite Spirit Emblem.
- Prevents Damage from falling.
- Infinite Time of Puppeteer Ninjustsu

It seems you still die and need to learn to parry etc. but it makes fights faster and also more forgiving.

Infinite Spirit Emblems on its own completely breaks the game over its knee you might as well just remove enemy health lol. This is essentially god mode.

Whatever, people can enjoy games however they like, I’d rather they do this than mod mudcrab boobs onto everything. At least one dev out there caters to the hardcore gamers, I’m excited for Elden Ring.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They could still cater to "hardcore gamers" and also offer a lower difficulty mode as well (or the SoulsBorne solution of co-op). Would it personally hurt or upset you if From Software did that? What's wrong with people who hit a wall or cannot commit long periods of time to overcoming whatever they're stuck with being able to still progress and see everything that the game has to offer?

In earlier posts people were discussing being stuck in Bloodborne, which is one of my favorite games of all-time. Rather than get frustrated or put the game down and miss out I think they'd be better seeking co-op help so they can see everything else that the game has to offer, especially since in my opinion it actually becomes easier once passing those roadblocks that they've currently hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I summoned for every single boss i could in both bloodbpurne and dark souls and i regret nothing.