Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Calico Heart posted:

Hello all. I run a tiny little Youtube channel and am considering making a video about disco Elysium, specifically how it tackles the concept of "Hauntology".

On immediate recollection, to me it seems this theme is explored most overtly through the failed Communard revolution (though one could say that people like Renee are also haunted by the loss of the Revecholian royal family), the Pale (a collection of the past that will one day consume the world) and Harry's own past (something he knows nothing about but looms over him and impacts his present life). The fact that an independant/communist Revechol was replaced by a limp ultraliberal regime is also worth mentioning I think. Are there any more good examples of this I'm missing? In the early stages of kicking the idea around so only have a couple pages of notes.

Doesn't the entirety of the Doomed Commercial Area fit? The place is full of remnants of past ventures and they physically stop anybody from making something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The dice 'characteristics' generally correspond to the checks that get opened. Cursed dice helps stuff with the pale etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's moralism, the idea that chaos is to be avoided and lessons should be learned from the bloody and failed revolutions, and then there's moralintern, the organisation, which fundamentally doesn't give a poo poo about places like Jamrock and Martinaise except that they don't emerge as a new Revachol Suzerainty ready to gently caress the world again. The RCM generally embodies the former moralism and is formally aligned with the latter but is independent from it.

It's not Fallout or something where the political organisations are 1:1 identified with political philosophies.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

dex_sda posted:

The dice 'characteristics' generally correspond to the checks that get opened. Cursed dice helps stuff with the pale etc.

I didn't even know the dice mattered, I just made myself a cute little set and went on my way. That changes so much about how I view the business building.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

I didn't even know the dice mattered, I just made myself a cute little set and went on my way. That changes so much about how I view the business building.

We're building something here detective, we're building it from scratch. All the pieces matter.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm only on day 2, but man this game has hooked me.

I kind of realize that you can do whatever you feel like doing in this game and make it by just fine, but just in case I'm gonna ask if I'm making a bad mistake by putting all my skill points into internalized thoughts? There's a dumb part of me that just see's attribute increases as generic improvements, "but the internalized thought could be anything!" so I keep spending points on that. A lot of them seem to just increase skill caps which don't really help me if I don't actually take advantage of the increased cap :/

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm only on day 2, but man this game has hooked me.

I kind of realize that you can do whatever you feel like doing in this game and make it by just fine, but just in case I'm gonna ask if I'm making a bad mistake by putting all my skill points into internalized thoughts? There's a dumb part of me that just see's attribute increases as generic improvements, "but the internalized thought could be anything!" so I keep spending points on that. A lot of them seem to just increase skill caps which don't really help me if I don't actually take advantage of the increased cap :/

It's fine. Once you fill up the thought cabinet you'll have leftover points to put into skills whenever you need to unlock a white check. This is about the time checks get difficult so you need the extra points, too. Remember that you can go into the skill menu during conversations and put points in, so you can dump stuff before red checks too.

Also, a bunch of the thoughts give you cash and exp, so don't sweat it.

e; the increased cap thoughts are most useful if you want to spec into something - for instance, if you want to have Shivers as a brainy empathic cop. They generally increase the cap on 'important' skills for that reason - aka, the skills that unlock the most specific content from each stat.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 6, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Also, you get extra options and extra content both from internalized thoughts and higher stats, so don't sweat it. You will want to start putting points into skills eventually, though.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

dex_sda posted:

Also, you get extra options and extra content both from internalized thoughts and higher stats, so don't sweat it. You will want to start putting points into skills eventually, though.

It's also worthwhile putting extra points into skills that match your play style simply to make them talk more throughout the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

thecluckmeme posted:

They also provide bonuses to certain checks.

If only there was a way to edit items in your inventory, I would start a playthrough with all the dice.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Xander77 posted:

They also provide bonuses to certain checks.

If only there was a way to edit items in your inventory, I would start a playthrough with all the dice.

There's a gainedItems list in the second json file in your saves.

You can find the ID's here: https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Category:Items

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

At what point should I start taking a look at the red check for the ominous bunker door? Who do I talk to to start down that path?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

Hello all. I run a tiny little Youtube channel and am considering making a video about disco Elysium, specifically how it tackles the concept of "Hauntology".

On immediate recollection, to me it seems this theme is explored most overtly through the failed Communard revolution (though one could say that people like Renee are also haunted by the loss of the Revecholian royal family), the Pale (a collection of the past that will one day consume the world) and Harry's own past (something he knows nothing about but looms over him and impacts his present life). The fact that an independant/communist Revechol was replaced by a limp ultraliberal regime is also worth mentioning I think. Are there any more good examples of this I'm missing? In the early stages of kicking the idea around so only have a couple pages of notes.

e: \/\/\/ Yeah, the Deserter being the "key" to the whole mystery/game at large is maybe the best example of the idea in the game, coming right at the end and acting as the perfect example of the idea.

I don’t know if it’s worth exploring, but it seems like there are a lot of characters who are outright haunted by their past - Klasje, Harry, and the murdered merc and whose current self-destructive paths were forced by their paths, vs. those who were destroyed by their lost futures (Rene, the Deserter)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

dex_sda posted:

The dicemaker making certain dice resets checks, too. Check the wiki to see which dice you need made.

This is awesome and I had no idea this was a thing!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Psykmoe posted:

Which casts the Moralists in kind of a lovely light because yeah they say that they want slow, incremental change, but they can't be bothered to fund the people who keep the Status Quo from backsliding into chaos?

The political satire is pretty on the nose, yeah.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

At what point should I start taking a look at the red check for the ominous bunker door? Who do I talk to to start down that path?

Whenever you want. The bunker door is self-contained, no need to talk to anyone.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Can you actually open the bunker door?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oasx posted:

Can you actually open the bunker door?

No, it's there to teach you an important lesson about completionism (passing the check does give you a new thought for the cabinet though).

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Doesn't the Deserter tell you that it's just full of communist corpses anyway?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Begemot posted:

No, it's there to teach you an important lesson about completionism (passing the check does give you a new thought for the cabinet though).

this so much

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'm on the "check 3 spots for traces of crime" quest, I got one spot fine (shore) but I have no idea how to trigger the second (boardwalk) despite walking over it a million times. Do I have a relevant stat too low/is this gated/what?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

tomanton posted:

I'm on the "check 3 spots for traces of crime" quest, I got one spot fine (shore) but I have no idea how to trigger the second (boardwalk) despite walking over it a million times. Do I have a relevant stat too low/is this gated/what?

You have to progress the main story. I was confused on this too, but it is in a place that you have to teleport to get to.

That is, if your Savoir Faire is high enough :haw:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

tomanton posted:

It's somewhere you can't get to just by walking around. You need to progress the plot.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

tomanton posted:

You need to look at the mural at the building at the broadwalk, after you found out that Ruby is near the Village.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Ahh yeah, it wasn't quite as advertised. Thanks. I assume the last one is day gated.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I did the same thing (spending all my points unlocking new slots and forgetting old ones once they were all full) and I was fine. I actually ended the game with 8 or 9 spare skill points just sitting around after maxing everything I needed, although I think a lot of those came from being an art cop.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

tomanton posted:

Yeah this for me is actually probably the weakest moment in an otherwise incredibly strong game. It's just not obvious at all what you're supposed to do in a frustrating way that's different from the rest of the game. Like there's plenty of times when I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing, but like in a "world of possibility" sort of way and not in a "I need to pixel bitch across this massive zone because there is clearly something that I'm missing to progress the main plot."

I think that's actually one of the triumphs of this game is that despite there being tons of times when I was completely lost on what I should be doing, I was never completely lost on what I could be doing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

Yeah this for me is actually probably the weakest moment in an otherwise incredibly strong game. It's just not obvious at all what you're supposed to do in a frustrating way that's different from the rest of the game. Like there's plenty of times when I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing, but like in a "world of possibility" sort of way and not in a "I need to pixel bitch across this massive zone because there is clearly something that I'm missing to progress the main plot."

I think that's actually one of the triumphs of this game is that despite there being tons of times when I was completely lost on what I should be doing, I was never completely lost on what I could be doing.

I think the issue here is that it also comes up right before a very obvious point of no return (Kim will even tell you "hey we should get anything done that's been left hanging before we do this"). For a lot of quests you will hit dead ends and just have to wait to see where they go like the mysterious blue door, but there's no sense of urgency on them so they will eventually resolve themselves, but getting something that late in the game makes you feel like you should be able to just do it right away.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/ryleisdead/status/1214262084998979587

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the issue here is that it also comes up right before a very obvious point of no return (Kim will even tell you "hey we should get anything done that's been left hanging before we do this"). For a lot of quests you will hit dead ends and just have to wait to see where they go like the mysterious blue door, but there's no sense of urgency on them so they will eventually resolve themselves, but getting something that late in the game makes you feel like you should be able to just do it right away.

This is exactly right. The game design problem here is that the game tells you "check the unresolved poo poo off before you continue" but this sidequest can only progress after you're past that point. For the Island part you can go "ok, fine, that must be after this because I can't go to the island yet." But the boardwalk feels like a place you've been to, it just doesn't pop up so you waste a half four wandering around and wondering what you missed.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mr. Prokosch posted:

This is exactly right. The game design problem here is that the game tells you "check the unresolved poo poo off before you continue" but this sidequest can only progress after you're past that point. For the Island part you can go "ok, fine, that must be after this because I can't go to the island yet." But the boardwalk feels like a place you've been to, it just doesn't pop up so you waste a half four wandering around and wondering what you missed.

On the bright side, i did stumble onto the middle class man because of this. Never explored that corner and would have never found him otherwise. Same with the shack in the bottom left corner of the map before the fishing village.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think one of the biggest story issues in the game is that you learn pretty early on that one of the possible locations of the shot was from the island so there's no logical reason why you wouldn't head over there, but you can only do so at the end of the game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

theblackw0lf posted:

I think one of the biggest story issues in the game is that you learn pretty early on that one of the possible locations of the shot was from the island so there's no logical reason why you wouldn't head over there, but you can only do so at the end of the game.

Iirc it’s presented as the least likely option and Kim kind of pooh-poohs it, for what it’s worth.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bold Robot posted:

Iirc it’s presented as the least likely option and Kim kind of pooh-poohs it, for what it’s worth.
I found that explanation to be bad, the fact that nobody heard the gunshot meant it had to be from very far away, and on top of that, the other two possible locations were very quickly identified as incorrect. It just gets dropped summarily, because it would ruin the plot if you decided to follow that lead over the obviously incorrect Ruby.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is it possible to get completely stuck if you do all sidequests, max shivers and only then go to listen to the wind, and roll snake eyes?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Volition in that instance was really interesting: specifically how it overbalances afterwards and keeps pushing you to arrest her. Not because there's any evidence, but because that feels like the act that takes the most willpower to do. As someone who's just now getting treated for lifelong ADHD, that was really relatable.

It's definitely a fun and interesting moment since it's the one time you know for certain that your various advisors are not advising in their sometimes misguided pursuit of your best interests. I think it stands powerfully as a moment that only happens once because it really isolates you in your dealings with Klaasje - Volition is telling you to take her to jail and your other Advisors are advocating being gentle with her but... can they be trusted on this? It's like a "the party betrays you" sequence except without any need for contrived justification

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I found that explanation to be bad, the fact that nobody heard the gunshot meant it had to be from very far away, and on top of that, the other two possible locations were very quickly identified as incorrect. It just gets dropped summarily, because it would ruin the plot if you decided to follow that lead over the obviously incorrect Ruby.

I believe there's some line where Lilienne tells you that there's some tide-related problem with sailing over there prior to the endgame. Which is a detail that should probably be easier to find/notice, granted.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is it possible to get completely stuck if you do all sidequests, max shivers and only then go to listen to the wind, and roll snake eyes?

Yes, although you'd kind of have to be aiming to do that on purpose to really leave yourself completely out of options. Remember that even if you've maxed out a skill you can drink/smoke/do drugs to raise the cap by one to put an extra point in.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The tide excuse is also a little weird, as fifty meters away you solve a different tide problem by just waiting a couple hours on a swingset.

Beat the game, my next run will probably feature much more goofing off with Kim, also finding my gun somehow, which never happened. I read somewhere that the game lasts a maximum of ten days, but are there even any events that would make it worth stretching out that far? And how would you even find enough timewasters to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Thinking about purely wasting time, you can kill 2 whole normally busy days by sending Kim with a body and sitting on a bench for a day, then sending Kim with an arrest and waiting again. That can get you to 9 days. Maybe you can pull that trick one more time by sending Kim to the hospital. Maybe every book + the board games and exhausting all dialogue can just barely get you to 10 if you go to sleep early every day.