Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpookyLizard posted:

Max armor usually leaves my legs with less armor than other sections

legs get jumpjets, heat sinks, and actuators

ill put ammo in my legs when i have guns that need it i can fire during a dfa

Jumpjets are better in the side torsos or center torso if you don't have a gyro or weapon so you can continue to move if a leg gets blown off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpookyLizard posted:

Max armor usually leaves my legs with less armor than other sections

Max armor like 100% full armor in every location. In which case the legs have less numerically, but more proportionate to the hit location probability charts.

The max armor button when used to auto fill armor from free tonnage does it based on front/rear hit probability. It isn't terrible if you take all the excess armor that it puts on the back and move it to the legs and arms, but that's still not what I think is the ideal.

SpookyLizard posted:

legs get ... heat sinks

It's too bad they didn't keep the rule where standing in water was a big bonus for leg sinks in particular, rather than sinking in general.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Putting ammo anywhere but in the legs is objectively wrong. I kind of get not doing it for flavour/lore/whatever (I don’t get hung up on that stuff myself but each to their own) but if you think it’s actually optimal putting it anywhere else you’re kidding yourself

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I play as if I have the universe’s best, most innovative tech, capable of making all new variants on the fly in mere days. But ammo in the legs? It's like using airpower, or doing a draft, or inventing mech weaponry that can go farther than 3km - it's just too far beyond even the greatest minds of the setting.

(Unless I run out of crit space elsewhere)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My sorta rule of thumb is ammo goes in the same location or 1 step away from the weapon, so I'll put SRM ammo in a leg if the SRMs are in a side torso but not if they're in the arms.

And yeah it's strictly a flavor thing, plus the general feel that the game is easy enough that I don't need or want to be 100% optimal.

Best Friends posted:

I play as if I have the universe’s best, most innovative tech, capable of making all new variants on the fly in mere days. But ammo in the legs? It's like using airpower, or doing a draft, or inventing mech weaponry that can go farther than 3km - it's just too far beyond even the greatest minds of the setting.

I can handwave miniature fusion reactors, but I can't handwave an ammo feed that passes through a rotating hip joint!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I just double legged a marauder and my cat promptly stepped on my pc’s power button :sigh:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the yeti posted:

I just double legged a marauder and my cat promptly stepped on my pc’s power button :sigh:

New sensor contact, Mad Cat

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

OctaMurk posted:

:golfclap:

well played, well played...

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

OctaMurk posted:

:golfclap:

I replayed and got it again, so yay two pieces of that beautiful death machine.

On my first go the AI overheated it to shutdown, first time I’ve seen that bad of heat management from the op for.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 6, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OctaMurk posted:

MY HOME COMPUTER

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
the marauder is a beautiful death machine, i have mine fitted with 3 UAC/5++ and some mlas.

its designated the UMAD-3R and i love it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SpookyLizard posted:

the marauder is a beautiful death machine, i have mine fitted with 3 UAC/5++ and some mlas.

its designated the UMAD-3R and i love it

The Marauder is cheating but I love it. I run two of them equipped with Gauss++, UAC5++, UAC2++, LBX2++, LBX5++ and maxxed out pilots. Those two usually take care of any targets before they get too close to the rest of my lance. Most of them are headshots lol

Edit: I need only one more piece for a third one. I think it'll replace my Annhilator.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Marauder is the best but I did love my 2x UAC10++ 2x LB10X++ Annihilator stuffed with DHS and extra armor plus a ballistic TTS+++.

Enough range that its slowness is irrelevant, never misses, everything blown to bits or knocked over.

:blastu:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Because I hate life and myself I decide to do a battletech extended commanders edition campaign in simulation difficulty.
Please inform of me of what horrible fate awaits me

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

I can handwave miniature fusion reactors, but I can't handwave an ammo feed that passes through a rotating hip joint!

I’m going to take this opportunity to quote myself from the MWO thread when discussing how mechs feed ammo across the body:

Scope posted:

Sorry, the real method of ammo feeding is through peristalsis. Just like how the myomer "muscles" move the mech's arms and legs, there is a myomer intestinal system with sphincters that poops ammo into the guns. Heat buildup is actually caused by a form of acid reflux.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pyronic posted:

https://imgur.com/a/r78EZ4T

I checked and i've got 1 other heavy in storage, a stock Quickdraw.

The 55 Ton medium trade payload for speed. This makes them unimpressive in a fire support role, since they just can't bring much firepower for their weight. To properly contribute in a pitched battle, they're essentially locked into carrying light, very efficient weapons like SRMs. The good news is that their mobility has good synergy with the short range of the aforementioned armaments.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 6, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Now that I’m running into heavies on the reg my shadowhawk brawler is feeling a little fragile and light on the damage. Is there a logical next step for close up laser/srm/punch fun?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

the yeti posted:

Now that I’m running into heavies on the reg my shadowhawk brawler is feeling a little fragile and light on the damage. Is there a logical next step for close up laser/srm/punch fun?
Yes, look for a Grasshopper.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

the yeti posted:

Thunderbolts, Black Knights, Grasshoppers, and Orions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got my third Marauder just now :allears: My business is now 90% salvage operation.

Extra lol that all this is happening on my first Ironman career, with difficulties cranked up here and there. I have less than 300 days left and haven't lost a pilot, mech, or mission yet. HM is really OP, yo.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
After doing another mission I found the 3rd part for an Awesome in the shop and BOY has that helped out. Throwing my tank Juggernaut into it with flush coolant is really rad.

Beat a 3 skull where an Annihilator and an Awesome reinforced for the enemy

and I swapped my 2 griffins to be more close range brawlers.

Seems to be going better, thanks for the advice y'all.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

An Awesome with snubbies is finally the juggernaut in-game that it is on tabletop.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
my favorite annhilator is 2x LBX/10 and 3x LBX/2 plus 2x ER MLas for spice, it just sprays bullets all over the place and its mever not fun. Its up there woth my 6X snub ppc atlas, the sawn off 'las, aka, kill something every alpha strike. its stuffed woth exchangers and double heat sinks. it only builds heat on certain biomes

is there a list of mechs for the career goals btw?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

It's too bad they didn't keep the rule where standing in water was a big bonus for leg sinks in particular, rather than sinking in general.

it's dumb to have to remember which of your mechs have leg sinks, plus this means most of your mechs won't benefit from water.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I actually really like how Marauders, while excellent in their own right, don't scale as well when it comes to fielding multiple versions. The 10% damage reduction doesn't stack and the called shot bonus only matters if you have the morale to spend it, which gets tougher when you have several mechs spending it each turn. Their perks let them scale really nicely into the endgame and make it feel like you're not gimping yourself by bringing a heavy into the endgame assault grinder.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:aaaaa:

Been playing since the Flashpoint DLC, and I only learned now that resolve is communal.

And here I was wondering why TF some of my Mechwarriors never seem to have enough resolve to use Precision Shot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ravenfood posted:

I actually really like how Marauders, while excellent in their own right, don't scale as well when it comes to fielding multiple versions. The 10% damage reduction doesn't stack and the called shot bonus only matters if you have the morale to spend it, which gets tougher when you have several mechs spending it each turn. Their perks let them scale really nicely into the endgame and make it feel like you're not gimping yourself by bringing a heavy into the endgame assault grinder.

I run three in my lance and 2 of 3 get a called shot every round. It helps to have all the Argo's morale modules built so that overall morale is > 40.
Each Marauder has the module with +4 resolve gain and each gets a pilot with called shot mastery. It works pretty well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Each Marauder has the module with +4 resolve gain

That's being committed to cheesing the system! :hmmyes:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Guilty as charged. poo poo's ridiculous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

anakha posted:

An Awesome with snubbies is finally the juggernaut in-game that it is on tabletop.

This is why I don't like the new mechs being the only ones with quirks though - the Warhammer's objectively better at the triple snub. It's the same with the Catapult and Archer and Locust and Flea (:v:)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I dunno if the PPC variant of the catapault is actually any good but whew it’s a nice model :allears:

Re: my shadowhawk upgrade question, I’ve actually not got any heavies besides a warhammer and jager :( could I finagle a Wolverine or hunchback into doing any better in close?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the yeti posted:

I dunno if the PPC variant of the catapault is actually any good but whew it’s a nice model :allears:

Re: my shadowhawk upgrade question, I’ve actually not got any heavies besides a warhammer and jager :( could I finagle a Wolverine or hunchback into doing any better in close?

I threw 4 LLs on it and it turned into a nice laser assassin for the midgame. It's cool looking!

Hunchbacks will carry you pretty far, either slap an AC20/UAC20 in them or go all medium lasers. A fully armored Shadow Hawk 2D with all MLs, SRMs, MGs, and jets will take care of heavies pretty quickly as well.

Jagermechs are fragile but pretty decent at fire support. Slap some UAC5s in if you can.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

the yeti posted:

The Warhammer and Jager are totally fine good heavies, they're not crappy like the Dragon and Quickdraw. The only problem with them is stock loadouts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

The Warhammer and Jager are totally fine good heavies, they're not crappy like the Dragon and Quickdraw. The only problem with them is stock loadouts.

I got a Dragon in my ironman campaign and after three ingame months of kicking it down the build queue I got the highlander and threw it into the dumpster lol

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

the yeti posted:

I turned my K2 into a UAC20 carrier. It looks real dumb, the model really doesn't want to have empty arms and a big ballistic.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gwaihir posted:

The Warhammer and Jager are totally fine good heavies, they're not crappy like the Dragon and Quickdraw.

Oh yeah I meant I have roles for them I’m happy with already is all. Right now my jager is an AC20+ headhunter and the ‘ham is packing 3 LL’s, they’re death machines albeit slow ones.

it seems like the sandpapery-ness of the srm-heavy shadowhawk is just doing less now that I’m seeing tougher mechs and getting it fired on much more heavily. Might be my skill level though—-I could try playing safer with it and dancing around the edge of SRM range instead of closing.

Edit- although putting a bulwark’d behemoth in a hunchback might be fun

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 6, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Warhammer is my favorite Heavy because the huge boost to energy damage. I'm on the lookout for L Pulse++, I need to be a walking death rave.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

the yeti posted:

Oh yeah I meant I have roles for them I’m happy with already is all. Right now my jager is an AC20+ headhunter and the ‘ham is packing 3 LL’s, they’re death machines albeit slow ones.

it seems like the sandpapery-ness of the srm-heavy shadowhawk is just doing less now that I’m seeing tougher mechs and getting it fired on much more heavily. Might be my skill level though—-I could try playing safer with it and dancing around the edge of SRM range instead of closing.

If you have to use the Shadowhawk against bigger enemies, take advantage of its speed & ability to mount 5 jump jets and be constantly moving for side and back shots and keep its evasion up. Let mechs with big guns strip armor and then have it dump SRMs into the holes.

Or give it its own AC20.

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Warhammer is my favorite Heavy because the huge boost to energy damage. I'm on the lookout for L Pulse++, I need to be a walking death rave.

I don't think I ever found a LPL++ in my zillion hours of playing this game. :saddowns:

If you mod PPC heat down to 28 (everyone should do this IMO), a Warhammer with two PPC++ +10 damage is a double headchopper with fantastic range and actually tolerable heat even without DHS.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Whilst the dragon is not a good mech, it is a perfectly functional punchbot if you get one early on. Compared to say, a Shadowhawk, it is a bit tougher and hits harder in melee whilst being the same speed. Throw a few arm mods into one and it can absolutely butcher early game partially armoured mechs in close combat. I mean so can most things, but there is something immensely satisfying about a dragon running up behind a locust then ripping it in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

the yeti posted:

it's not, but it is kinda rare